Hisense Sero 8 RileyROM 1.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rrileypm View Post
    You must keep system.img and boot.img or root won't work. The kernel is the same. I did not modify it.
    Thanks for the reply. It may be that the update that auto-installed yesterday on this brand-new tablet changed the kernel.img from the set you had. In any case, I made a copy of your img files and then replaced all except the system.img and boot.img files with the ones I had dumped. Then I flashed the tablet and all worked perfectly. Root works great. Thanks!

Comment

No ADB access?

I do have an annoying oddity with this Sero 8, and it's been like that since I opened the box (both with the factory ROM and still with the rooted RileyROM):

I can't get ADB 1.0.31 (Windows 7 x64) to ever recognize that the tablet is attached. I'm quite experienced with using ADB on many other brands of tablets and this is the first one that I can't get to talk to me this way. I also have a copy of ADB 1.0.26 in another folder (for older tablets) and the funny thing is that 1.0.26 sees the Sero 8 tablet (when I run 'ADB devices') and shows it's ID number but lists it as offline. That's to be expected since this is running KitKat and requires 1.0.31 to do the security stuff.

But when I try to access this Sero 8 with ADB 1.0.31, the tablet isn't listed when I run 'ADB devices' and it never displays the security pop-up on the tablet screen.

I've got Google's latest ADB driver installed for it and obviously have ADB turned on under developer options, since I can see it with 1.0.26.

Is anyone else with a Sero 8 able to access it with ADB 1.0.31 via USB?

Comment

You must keep system.img and boot.img or root won't work. The kernel is the same. I did not modify it.
        You just left the parameter files for different sized storage in the second rom. Its covered in the q&a. The default for the flasher to use is only 3gb in the newer rom.

Comment

Originally posted by Jefedfur View Post
          You just left the parameter files for different sized storage in the second rom. Its covered in the q&a. The default for the flasher to use is only 3gb in the newer rom.
          If that was addressed to me, I used my factor parameter file (which was the same as the one from the first RileyRom).

So essentially, I took my factory ROM dump files (backup.img, boot.img, kernel.img, misc.img, recovery.img, system.img, and parameter) and replaced boot.img and system.img with the files from RileyROM 1.1. Then I flashed it back to the tablet.

I read through this whole thread before doing anything and was thereby able to avoid some of the problems others have run into. Thanks!

Comment

If someone can provide me a ROM dump of any newer firmware, I would be happy to provide updates. I don't have a source for downloading Hisense firmware.
            Randy
            Freaktab Developer, Product Reviewer, Moderator and "Flashaholic".
            Read my BIO Here
            Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
            Donate here

Comment

Re: Hisense Sero 8 RileyROM 1.0

If someone can provide me a ROM dump of any newer firmware, I would be happy to provide updates. I don't have a source for downloading Hisense firmware.
              I'm not sure if there has been another update. Ill flash stock back when I get home from my trip and see.

Ill also start messing with adb and see what I can help with.

Comment

Re: Hisense Sero 8 RileyROM 1.0

Originally posted by TRR View Post
                If that was addressed to me, I used my factor parameter file (which was the same as the one from the first RileyRom).

So essentially, I took my factory ROM dump files (backup.img, boot.img, kernel.img, misc.img, recovery.img, system.img, and parameter) and replaced boot.img and system.img with the files from RileyROM 1.1. Then I flashed it back to the tablet.

I read through this whole thread before doing anything and was thereby able to avoid some of the problems others have run into. Thanks!
                I have just been using my stock dump as well. Essentially one could just delete the file 'parameter' and rename parameter12 to parameter. A few ways to get it working. I had meant to quote the ops post about needing to check what he did with the files in the new rom.

Comment

You can simply rename the parameter file, or you can click the browse button on the parameter line of the flash tool and select the parameter with the desired file size.

Keep in mind that you are taking the increased user app space from the internal SD space. You are limited to the total available NAND memory capacity. The system takes up roughly 1gb. Your app data partition is added to that. What is left over is your internal SD size.

I don't know how much total NAND is installed, but I've made partition files up to 12gb. If, for instance, there is only 8gb of total NAND, I would only recommend 4 or 6gb user app space.
                  Randy
                  Read my BIO Here
                  Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
                  Donate here

Comment

Originally posted by Jefedfur View Post
                    Ill also start messing with adb and see what I can help with.
                    I finally managed to get ADB to work - sort of.

As I said earlier, I can see the tablet using ADB 1.0.26 but it's listed as 'offline' since 1.0.26 doesn't have support for the KitKat ADB security prompt.

So, now that I have root, I went in and edited the /system/build.prop file and changed
                    Code:
                    ro.adb.secure=1
                    to
                    Code:
                    ro.adb.secure=0
                    That turns off the ADB security prompt and lets ADB 1.0.26 access it.

ADB 1.0.31 still won't touch it.

Comment

Another interesting quirk

Here's another interesting quirk:

I thought I might give the 'ART' runtime a try instead of 'Davik'. Supposedly, it makes things run a bit faster. However, with that option selected in Developer Options, everytime I boot the tablet it takes a few minutes while it's "optimizing the applications".

Switching back to Dalvik runtime stops that behavior.

No biggie - just odd.

Comment

It isn't odd. That happens on most KK tablets running ART. All of your apps must be ART compatible, or the tablet will continue to do this on every boot. Sometimes you will find that some apps are missing after this process.

Google has a long way to go with full implementation of ART.
                        Randy
                        Read my BIO Here
                        Donate here

Comment

It isn't odd. That happens on most KK tablets running ART. All of your apps must be ART compatible, or the tablet will continue to do this on every boot. Sometimes you will find that some apps are missing after this process.

Google has a long way to go with full implementation of ART.
                          Ah. This is my first KK tablet and first time trying ART.

I'll just stick with Dalvik then.

Comment

Here's a link to the factory ROM dump I did yesterday:

Comment

kernel version

Originally posted by TRR View Post
                              It may be that the update that auto-installed yesterday on this brand-new tablet changed the kernel.img from the set you had.
                              If the kernel.img was updated would the kernel version number be different? Can you go into Settings > About tablet and get the Kernel version?

The Kernel version on mine (using the kernel.img from RileyROM 1.1) is
                              3.0.36+

Thanks

-

Comment

Thanks, I will get to work on it.
                                Randy
                                Read my BIO Here
                                Donate here

Comment

Working...
                                X