Hisense Sero 8 RileyROM 1.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hisense Sero 8 RileyROM 1.0

Thanks to Freaktab member YoungOne, this ROM is based on a ROM dump from his tablet.

This is a KitKat ROM.

This ROM is:

Rooted
    Debloated of all of the Walmart/Sam's Club apps
    Init.d/Busybox support added
    Google Play Store fixes
    Auto Install of apps in the external SD "autoinstall" folder.
    Reboot App by Petrus
    New Boot Animation

Since this is from a ROM dump, I've unpacked and repacked the boot.img and recovery.img files to make them the correct size. I've kept the stock parameter file, so you will have the same user app space, until I can figure out how to change it...there's a line missing in this parameter file...so I'm afraid to mess with it...I don't know how a change will react on your tablet. I believe that apps are being installed on the internal SD...so there's no need for other parameter files.

Just run the flash tool and plug in your tablet using the USB cable that came with it. Make sure USB debugging is turned off. The flash tool should see your tablet in Mass Storage Mode. Click reboot to flash and it will change to flash mode.

IMPORTANT: Uncheck the loader.bin at the top, it's checked by default. The reason for this is, we are going back with the same firmware. I don't know which loader.bin is currently on your tablet...so the one included in the kit will brick your tablet, if it isn't the same. It's ok to use the same loader.bin with the same firmware...so don't worry.

Erase IDB, then flash the ROM.

It will first boot to recovery and format everything. Later, if you want to flash CWM or TWRP recovery, you can just flash it instead of the stock recovery from the flash tool.

Here's the link:

Download v1.0

Here is a newer version based on an OEM ROM dump provided by Freaktab user steve&b.

This new version contains the same features listed above, with auto installation of TWRP Recovery (by Abdul_pt) on first boot. When you flash the ROM, you will see the stock recovery format the partitions. Wait a couple of minutes before rebooting on the first boot to system. Then when you reboot to recovery, you will have TWRP.

Download v1.1

Download v1.2
    (based on a more recent ROM dump from FT member TRR.

Download v1.3 (based on an even more recent ROM dump from AndroidFanatic)

Download v1.3.2 (based on the same firmware as 1.3 with a script provided by AndroidFanatic to help with the installation process. See post #182 for instructions on how to use it. This script will help install the drivers and get your tablet into flash mode)

Enjoy!!!!!!
    Donations Welcomed...please tip the developers.
    Last edited by rrileypm; 10-05-2014, 22:07.
    Randy
    Freaktab Developer, Product Reviewer, Moderator and "Flashaholic".
    Read my BIO Here
    Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
    Donate here

@rrileypm can you please tell me how to edit the build.prop to make google think its a nexus 7 tablet?

Comment

I don't have the Nexus codes, but these are the build.prop lines you need to change that spoofs as a Samsung device:

ro.product.model=GT-I9300
      ro.product.brand=samsung
      ro.product.name=m0xx
      ro.product.device=m0
      #ro.product.board=rk31sdk
      ro.product.manufacturer=samsung
      Randy
      Read my BIO Here
      Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
      Donate here

Comment

Root

I have a Hisense Sero 8 with KitKat preinstalled. All I want is root. How did you go about achieving that?
        Model: E2281
        Android Version: 4.4.2
        Kernel: 3.0.36+

Originally posted by rrileypm View Post
        I don't have the Nexus codes, but these are the build.prop lines you need to change that spoofs as a Samsung device:

ro.product.model=GT-I9300
        ro.product.brand=samsung
        ro.product.name=m0xx
        ro.product.device=m0
        #ro.product.board=rk31sdk
        ro.product.manufacturer=samsung

Comment

If all you are wanting is root, I would try Root Genius...I've heard reports that it does a good job on most Android devices.

The advantages of a custom ROM are:

Root - without having to download an app
          Debloat - I've removed Walmart's goodies
          Init.d/Busybox support which allows you the ability to run scripts at boot
          Auto Install of apps on first boot from external SD autoinstall folder
          That's all that comes to mind right now.
          Randy
          Read my BIO Here
          Donate here

Comment

I tried installing your ROM but I couldn't get my device to show up but I will try your suggestion thank you.

If all you are wanting is root, I would try Root Genius...I've heard reports that it does a good job on most Android devices.

The advantages of a custom ROM are:

Root - without having to download an app
            Debloat - I've removed Walmart's goodies
            Init.d/Busybox support which allows you the ability to run scripts at boot
            Auto Install of apps on first boot from external SD autoinstall folder
            That's all that comes to mind right now.

Comment

Did you read the First Time User Guide? It explains the driver installation process.
              Randy
              Read my BIO Here
              Donate here

Comment

I did but I will try again.

Did you read the First Time User Guide? It explains the driver installation process.

Comment

root genius

Root genius did not work. I have yet to find a program that will root it. It seems unrootable.

Originally posted by GartimusPrime View Post
                  I did but I will try again.

Comment

Here are some other things to look at.

The Rockchip drivers will not work if you are running Windows 8.1. If that's what you are running, you need a different PC.

The flash tool only works with a USB 2.0 port...not USB 3.0. Try a different port.

Many times the problem is caused by a USB connection problem. Use the cable that came with the tablet. Or try a different cable.
                    Randy
                    Read my BIO Here
                    Donate here

Comment

Unfortunately, 8.1 is what I have and it is my only pc. All I want is to root. Back to the drawing board to find an app/script that will work. Thank you for your replies.

[I QUOTE=rrileypm;205002]Here are some other things to look at.

The Rockchip drivers will not work if you are running Windows 8.1. If that's what you are running, you need a different PC.

The flash tool only works with a USB 2.0 port...not USB 3.0. Try a different port.

Many times the problem is caused by a USB connection problem. Use the cable that came with the tablet. Or try a different cable.[/QUOTE]

Comment

In 8.1 you won't find anything that will communicate with the tablet. They all require the RK USB drivers.
                        Randy
                        Read my BIO Here
                        Donate here

Comment

How did you gain root for your ROM? I just read rockchip is next to impossible to root.

Comment

To attain root, I edit the system.img and boot.img files.

In a nutshell, you must add the Superuser.apk to system/app and the su binary to system/bin. For KK ROM's you also have to edit the init.rc file in the boot.img to run su as daemon.

I do this by mounting the system.img in Linux, since it's basically an ext4 drive and unpacking the boot.img...then repacking after edits with RK signage. Boot.img and recovery.img are signed ramdisk.gz files that also have the (unsigned) kernel embedded.

For RK tablets, some people have good luck with those rooting apps...and some don't. The only real/correct way is to flash a rooted custom ROM in place of the factory firmware.
                            Randy
                            Read my BIO Here
                            Donate here

Comment

Since I don't seem to be smart enough to figure it out, I think I am SOL.

Comment

Working...
                              X