Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Try removing the external sdcard, then do a backup to internal sd. CWM as far as I know always expects .android_secure to be on external sdcard WHEN a external sd card exists. I think it will look for .android_secure on internal when a external sd card does not exist. Test that please.

vold.fstab is not used by CWM because OS is not booted. CWM has it's own fstab which is what I set for external sd and internal sd physical mounted blocks which is based on the order used in the ROM parameter file. If I fake that by switching them, then backup to internal menu choice will backup to external and visa versa. CWM wont know this difference. You have to think of CWM as a stand alone OS!

So there maybe an issue here and maybe not. Android always creates a .android_secure on internal especially if you boot anytime with no external sdcard inserted. It has to do this as it has no choice. No external.... well it then has to create it on internal. BUT... that does not mean it is ever used! Open that folder on internal can see if anything is in there? If nothing is in there then your ROM is not installing APPs to internal SDcard by default.
    Now if this ROM never installs APPs to sdcard either internal or external, then on both internal and external there maybe a .android_secure but it will always be empty!

So to really find out whats goes on.
    Start with a fresh flashed ROM. Have a external sd installed. Now install a bunch of apps. Do you every get a .android_secure folder created on external sd? If not, then your ROM design does not by default install apps to external sd.
    Now start again but this time have no external sdcard installed. Install a bunch of apps. Is there anything in the .android_secure folder on internal sd? If not then even though the folder is created, it is not by default installing apps to internal sd either!
    In effect this could be good for you guys if it never does this! WHY?
    Because this then gives you total control. YOU get to choose when you want to move an APP to sdcard!
    So now last test... go into settings and apps and tell it to move a few APPs to sdcard. Where did they go? External or internal? If external, then is SHOULD have created a .android_secure on external and apps will be in there. If not, look on internal and see if they are in there.

Please try all this stuff. The only way to know whats going on is what the Android OS is doing with APPs! CWM has no control over this at all.

Bob
    "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
    "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
    "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
    "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
    "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
    "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
    "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
    "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
    "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post
      So to really find out whats goes on.
      Start with a fresh flashed ROM. Have a external sd installed. Now install a bunch of apps. Do you every get a .android_secure folder created on external sd? If not, then your ROM design does not by default install apps to external sd.
      Now start again but this time have no external sdcard installed. Install a bunch of apps. Is there anything in the .android_secure folder on internal sd? If not then even though the folder is created, it is not by default installing apps to internal sd either!
      In effect this could be good for you guys if it never does this! WHY?
      Because this then gives you total control. YOU get to choose when you want to move an APP to sdcard!
      So now last test... go into settings and apps and tell it to move a few APPs to sdcard. Where did they go? External or internal? If external, then is SHOULD have created a .android_secure on external and apps will be in there. If not, look on internal and see if they are in there.

Please try all this stuff. The only way to know whats going on is what the Android OS is doing with APPs! CWM has no control over this at all.

Bob
      Finless,
      OK wiped all and started afresh. After reloading some apps I found on the internal sdcard, .android_secure folder containing 0 bytes, same applied with no external sdcard. I then moved apps to sdcard, they went onto the internal sdcard.
      I continued to reload all my apps and move all to the "sdcard", I checked the storage these are the results.

Internal Storage

Total space--3.94GB Apps--150MG Available--3.64GB

Nand Flash

Total--10.32GB Apps--388MG Pictures--8.94MG D/L--2.70MG Available--9.75GB

SDCard

Total--29.79GB Available--29.01GB

I have now tried a backup using touch recovery and selected both backup and backup to sdcard, results same as before. I checked my mobile and thatalso shows .android_secure as 0 bytes but CWM works. It seems the problem is 2 sdcards, I included the vold.fstab file because the sdcards are named mmc.0 and mmc.1. I thought maybe that was the problem as to me CWM don't seem to reconise them?
      Clive

Comment

Clive, so this in in fact the problem. CWM expects when you move to SDcard that they will be on external sdard. This OS version implemented sdcard for .android_secure as always being on internal sdcard! So we have a problem really since CWM doesnt handle that

I am not sure I can fix this. The good news if you DO NOT move anything to sdcard (internel for this OS) then CWM will always work for you. But when you move apps to sd, it will not back them up. Well maybe not. We have to test that!

So let me ask please. Leaving a external sd out of the tablet. Please do this test. Install apps, move some to sd, as you know they will be on internal. Then do a CWM backup. Then flash a clean ROM erasing IDB. Then do a CWM restore. Do the apps you moved to SD recover with CWM?

I think they might?

BTW vold.fstab tells how to mount the 2 sdcards. Having 2 sdcards has been around since gingerbread so nothing new there. It's HOW the OS handles them. vold.fstab is one part of it. The kernel is the other! So thats why I say we may not be able to fix this.

Let me know what you find and THANK YOU A TON for testing so much. If we are to make a better ROM this is the only way

Bob

Comment

Clive, so this in in fact the problem. CWM expects when you move to SDcard that they will be on external sdard. This OS version implemented sdcard for .android_secure as always being on internal sdcard! So we have a problem really since CWM doesnt handle that

I am not sure I can fix this. The good news if you DO NOT move anything to sdcard (internel for this OS) then CWM will always work for you. But when you move apps to sd, it will not back them up. Well maybe not. We have to test that!

So let me ask please. Leaving a external sd out of the tablet. Please do this test. Install apps, move some to sd, as you know they will be on internal. Then do a CWM backup. Then flash a clean ROM erasing IDB. Then do a CWM restore. Do the apps you moved to SD recover with CWM?

I think they might?

BTW vold.fstab tells how to mount the 2 sdcards. Having 2 sdcards has been around since gingerbread so nothing new there. It's HOW the OS handles them. vold.fstab is one part of it. The kernel is the other! So thats why I say we may not be able to fix this.

Let me know what you find and THANK YOU A TON for testing so much. If we are to make a better ROM this is the only way

Bob
          Bob,

Yup you were right, without the external sdcard installed CWM made a backup still said "no /sdcard/.android_secure found skipping..." and " no sd-ext found skipping..", but everything restored using CWM restore. when I added the external sdcard I was surprised to find it was re-named as Ext.SDcard not as before external sdcard.
          As I would like to use the removable sdcard (for safety reasons) for the backup and CWM to work would this switch of the "internal & external cards" work?

dev_mount sdcard /mnt/external_sd auto /devices/virtual/mtd/mtd9/mtdblock9
          dev_mount flash /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/rk29_sdmmc.0/mmc_host/mmc0
          dev_mount udisk /mnt/usb_storage auto /devices/platform/usb20_host/usb

The reason is when I update or change roms I know the tablet and internal sdcard can be formatted in the process, and by placing the backup on the external sdcard I can remove it before updating.
          Clive

Comment

Yes the 2 could be switched and if you search "internal vs external sdcard" on google you will find many discussions of this on XDA. People want things moved to external NOT internal. So they make this switch. I do not know why the long term strategy for Android is to use internal SD but in fact it is the case. More and more devices with ICS and JellyBean are doing it this way.

Now not only do you have to switch ii in fstab for the OS but I would have to change it for CWM as well and if I did that, the menus will not match the truth.

Bob

Comment

Now not only do you have to switch ii in fstab for the OS but I would have to change it for CWM as well and if I did that, the menus will not match the truth.

Bob
              Bob,

Thanks for that not worth while doing it for only a few people.

I tried all combinations of the sdcards, .android_secure and CWM, and the final results:
              not to move apps to sdcard, make/copy .android_secure and add it to external sdcard so CWM can see it, then use backup to internal sdcard. You don't get any error messages (not counting ext sd).
              Lucky there is 11GB space on sdcard (shouldn't run out of room) and just use external sd to backup photo's docs etc.
              Clive

Comment

Sounds similar to what I have to do on the Yuandao n101-1. At least you guys do not have the SDcard FAT32 corruption issue! I cannot do a CWM backup to external SDcard on the N101 because of this problem! I have to do it to internal SD then copy the clockwork folder to external sd. PAIN IN THE

Bob

Comment

Finless,

just to let you know Bob Aoson M11 have released JellyBean for the tablet, if you want it (to play with) you can find it on SladeDroid site.
                  Clive

Comment

ne fonctionne pas avec aoson m11b

Originally posted by evilc View Post
                    Finless,

just to let you know Bob Aoson M11 have released JellyBean for the tablet, if you want it (to play with) you can find it on SladeDroid site.
                    je suis trés etonné que vous donnier une solution pour aoson m11 sans preciser quelle version ?!
                    j'ai planté ma tablette à cause de çà, j'ai une m11b et apres recherche sur la toile quand on flash avec une rom m11c et bien on a plus le wifi!!! ce qui est mon cas maintenant....

Comment

Working...
                    X