This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hisense Sero 8 Rooting Guide & Instructions

Want a way to root the Hisense Sero 8 tablet and you find that your only place to turn is to install custom ROMS? Well fret no further, today we're going to give instructions on how to do so without installing custom ROMS! Lets begin!

• Step 1: You may not need a custom ROM but, you do need a custom RECOVERY for what we're about to do to root this device!
      • This custom RECOVERY we're going to be using is called TWRP (thanks to abdul_pt for the port)
      • I made this TWRP Recovery Install Package and you can get at this link: (TWRP Install Package)
      • Once you download it Extract it into a new folder.

• Step 2: Installing TWRP
      • Now that we have that folder, lets open it up.
      • Make sure you install the drivers if you haven't already, then move on to the next step!
      • Now navigate to Flasher_tool
      • After that open "ROM_Flash_Tool_137.exe" without the quotes.
      • Now plug your device in and hold the power and volume up buttons for several seconds until the flash tool says it's found!"
      • Now click the "Flash ROM" Button!

• Step 3: Installing Root
      • After it's done let the tablet boot completely up!
      • Hold volume up and down keys (without device plugged in)
      • Once it boots into TWRP go to Reboot then select System
      • Once you do that it should detect that your device is not rooted and when it ask if you want to flash SuperSU, swipe to confirm you do!
      • Reboot device and you should now be rooted!

• Step 3B: Alternate Rooting Instructions (Flashing zip manually)
      • After your device finishes boot up open a web browser and navigate to (http://download.chainfire.eu/supersu) and using a file manager app like "ES File Explorer" copy the downloaded the zip to the root of the internal sdcard (No Real SD Card Required)!
      • Hold volume up and down keys (without device plugged in)
      • Once it boots up to TWRP select install and find the SuperSU update zip you copied earlier
      • After selecting it swipe to confirm you want to flash it!
      • Reboot Device after that and you should have root!

Follow all those steps and you should be rooted WITHOUT a custom ROM on the Hisense Sero 8!
    Last edited by AndroidFanatic; 11-07-2014, 20:36.
    "I am a fan of android and other tech stuff like windows and linux on the desktop! I will contribute what I can to the FreakTab community, but only, what I'm willing to" -AndroidFanatic

well

I've made it to Step 3: Installing Root
    • Hold volume up and down keys (without device plugged in) = nothing happens at all whether powered on or off???

Comment

Originally posted by kennard1203 View Post
      I've made it to Step 3: Installing Root
      • Hold volume up and down keys (without device plugged in) = nothing happens at all whether powered on or off???
      Are you sure you installed TWRP? Just asking to try to troubleshoot.
      "I am a fan of android and other tech stuff like windows and linux on the desktop! I will contribute what I can to the FreakTab community, but only, what I'm willing to" -AndroidFanatic

Comment

Originally posted by AndroidFanatic View Post
        Did you make sure the tablet's drivers were installed? Respond back when you can!

Comment

I kinda gave up on the stock rooting method and just flashed your android firmwiremod v2.0 and everything is working great!... Not sure what I was doing wrong with the other method though...

Comment

Originally posted by kennard1203 View Post
            I kinda gave up on the stock rooting method and just flashed your android firmwiremod v2.0 and everything is working great!... Not sure what I was doing wrong with the other method though...
            I released that rooting guide so anyone who had any luck with those instructions could hack together their own version of a ROM to share with freaktab if they wanted to! And because I know that not everyone wants to be flashing a new custom ROM just for root abilities, BTW thanks for trying out my ROM! Spread the word if you want!

Comment

Are u sure its volume up and volume down or is it volume up and power. Vol up and vol down dont do anything for me.

Comment

Originally posted by AGLtech View Post
                Are u sure its volume up and volume down or is it volume up and power. Vol up and vol down dont do anything for me.
                It's volume up and power

Comment

Thanks for a great, easy to use guide and package!

Only bought the tablet an hour ago, can't stand an unrooted device though! All worked smooth as you like, TWRP installed and SuperSU ticking over like clockwork.

Top work!

Comment

OTA update with root and TWRP?

I did the root procedure and now I have a rooted tablet with the TWRP recovery installed. However, 2 days ago my tablet received an OTA update and when I rebooted the tablet to install the update, nothing happened. I only saw the TWRP recovery screen, and when I booted up the tablet I got a message that the updated failed.

Also, I have an annoying issue where videos in the YouTube app have a blue tint to them. Other videos on the tablet are OK.

So, can someone provide me with instructions on applying an OTA update on a rooted tablet.

Comment

Step 1 to solving OTA problems: Flash the stock recovery!

Originally posted by w33zy View Post
                      I did the root procedure and now I have a rooted tablet with the TWRP recovery installed. However, 2 days ago my tablet received an OTA update and when I rebooted the tablet to install the update, nothing happened. I only saw the TWRP recovery screen, and when I booted up the tablet I got a message that the updated failed.

Also, I have an annoying issue where videos in the YouTube app have a blue tint to them. Other videos on the tablet are OK.

So, can someone provide me with instructions on applying an OTA update on a rooted tablet.
                      Having TWRP installed while trying to apply OTA meant for stock recovery to flash may cause unexpected results in any case, as you stated in your question! So can you please flash back to stock recovery, then try to apply the OTA update? Do that, and if the OTA update fails yet again, please come back here, to report the problem, only after doing what I suggested in this comment first! Your welcome in advance! ☺

Comment

Having TWRP installed while trying to apply OTA meant for stock recovery to flash may cause unexpected results in any case, as you stated in your question! So can you please flash back to stock recovery, then try to apply the OTA update? Do that, and if the OTA update fails yet again, please come back here, to report the problem, only after doing what I suggested in this comment first! Your welcome in advance! ☺
                        Would you happen to a have a link to the stock recovery?

Also have you come across the blue tinted YouTube videos issue before. Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Here's the link to the stock recovery img

Originally posted by w33zy View Post
                          Would you happen to a have a link to the stock recovery?

Also have you come across the blue tinted YouTube videos issue before. Thanks for the reply.
                          https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5mb3cMYjZWiRHJnR2NuZTFLd1E&authuser=0

Comment

Flash tool gets done and the last line is INFO:Run OK and the tablet automatically reboots. When I then hold power and volume up to boot to recovery it boots into apparently its own stock recovery page?? If I tell it to apply update from external storage and navigate to the SuperSU zip it says it failed signature verification and aborts the installation. Am I missing something?

Comment

Originally posted by coquer View Post
                              Flash tool gets done and the last line is INFO:Run OK and the tablet automatically reboots. When I then hold power and volume up to boot to recovery it boots into apparently its own stock recovery page?? If I tell it to apply update from external storage and navigate to the SuperSU zip it says it failed signature verification and aborts the installation. Am I missing something?
                              I'm having the same problem,how do we solve this problem? Waiting for help plss....

>Android running, press the volume up and down button does not react ???
                              > Recovery page, update super su, signature verification fail ??

Comment

Working...
                              X