Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think Hisense should release the kernel sources/sdk for the Sero 8?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you think Hisense should release the kernel sources/sdk for the Sero 8?

Since there going to soon move on to the pro version of the sero 8, do you think they should release the kernel source/SDK for the Hisense Sero 8.
    Strongly Agree, explain why if you wish
    100.00%
    Agree, explain why if you wish
    0.00%
    Something else, please explain
    0.00%
    Disagree, explain why you disagree, please
    0.00%
    Strongly Disagree, explain why you disagree, please
    0.00%
    "I am a fan of android and other tech stuff like windows and linux on the desktop! I will contribute what I can to the FreakTab community, but only, what I'm willing to" -AndroidFanatic

It would potentially lead to a cyanogenmod or lollipop port, if a willing Dev had the sources!

That's my reason!
    "I am a fan of android and other tech stuff like windows and linux on the desktop! I will contribute what I can to the FreakTab community, but only, what I'm willing to" -AndroidFanatic

Comment

Of course they should, its a great tablet and its less the 6 months old. It has a lot of life left in it, releasing the sources would benefit the Hisense brand

Comment

Originally posted by AndroidFanatic View Post
        Since there going to soon move on to the pro version of the sero 8, do you think they should release the kernel source/SDK for the Hisense Sero 8.
        I thought that the above, or at least the source code must be published within a certain time frame. Barnes and Noble faced a difficult time with the people at XDA Dev because of some issues. Check with Google. I would, except that I'm pressed for time right now.

Comment

That was the understanding that i thought as well. Android is an open source community and if you are going to run android as the OS than you must releases the source code as well. I know alot of manufactures like Tronsmart and a few others are or have done the same thing in not publishing their source. It pisses me off when they do this while making money on devices that run on android. If you don't want to release the code than install Windows or apple OS on your products, oh you can't, unless you pay windows or apple for the rights, which at least Apple would not do. I know that last statement was not realistic but it was meant as a metaphor of sorts. I'll get off of my soap box now.

Comment

Originally posted by glockman4519 View Post
            That was the understanding that i thought as well. Android is an open source community and if you are going to run android as the OS than you must releases the source code as well. I know alot of manufactures like Tronsmart and a few others are or have done the same thing in not publishing their source. It pisses me off when they do this while making money on devices that run on android. If you don't want to release the code than install Windows or apple OS on your products, oh you can't, unless you pay windows or apple for the rights, which at least Apple would not do. I know that last statement was not realistic but it was meant as an analogy of sorts. I'll get off of my soap box now.
            Just because android itself is open sourced does not mean the manufacturers of devices running android are obligated to release their source code, although it would be nice if they did so! But, once again it's not a requirement for an android device manufacturer! But, I still stand my ground that they should release the kernel source as the community was running the ball with it on the Sero 7 Pro and LT! It would really strenghen their brand for their android device subdivision!

Comment

I stand corrected then.I thought that this was how and why Android got started in the first place, for anyone to modify or add onto as long as full credits were due. You learn something new every day. But i agree with you on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by glockman4519 View Post
                I thought that this was how and why Android got started in the first place, for anyone to modify or add onto as long as full credits were due.
                Yeah true, but google did not require that they release their modified source code for the devices they successfully ported android too! Agree!

Comment

Originally posted by AndroidFanatic View Post
                  Yeah true, but google did not require that they release their modified source code for the devices they successfully ported android too! Agree!
                  I still want the source code released, which is why I put up this poll!

Comment

I guess Android is like anything else. Once you start to profit monetarily on something than you lock it down so no one else can profit from it but you. I guess i can't blame them. Android started out as an awesome idea though. But if they would release their kernel this cheap but great tablet could be so much more in the hands of a few good devs. I would like to see lollypop on this.

Comment

Rockchip has the most control over whether sources get released...not the manufacturer. I found that out dealing with Pipo.

We do have the complete RK3188 SDK with kernel sources that might provide an update. D33 is our lead developer on that project. He has a thread to take requests...he will need a DMESG log...and GPIO log to know the device hardware configuration.
                      Randy
                      Freaktab Developer, Product Reviewer, Moderator and "Flashaholic".
                      Read my BIO Here
                      Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
                      Donate here

Comment

Originally posted by rrileypm View Post
                        Rockchip has the most control over whether sources get released...not the manufacturer. I found that out dealing with Pipo.

We do have the complete RK3188 SDK with kernel sources that might provide an update. D33 is our lead developer on that project. He has a thread to take requests...he will need a DMESG log...and GPIO log to know the device hardware configuration.
                        So the source code was already released, it just has to be configured for this device?

Comment

I'm saying it is a possibility. It depends on whether our DEVs can/will have time to do it.

Aside from the above info...a list of needed improvements is required...so they know what to change.
                          Randy
                          Read my BIO Here
                          Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
                          Donate here

Comment

We are talking RK 3188 KitKat only.
                            Randy
                            Read my BIO Here
                            Donate here

Comment

Originally posted by rrileypm View Post
                              We are talking RK 3188 KitKat only.
                              So a lolipop port would take a lot more work?

Comment

Working...
                              X