Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NextBook Next7S Premium Taken Apart with Pictures!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NextBook Next7S Premium Taken Apart with Pictures!

Hey all! I finally got the guts to open up my Next7S Premium to see what makes it tick. However I mainly did this because I was interested in the battery because someone claimed they took apart their Next7S Premium and saw that the battery took up only half of the space it could which means room for a bigger longer lasting battery! And truth be told this is correct! There is tons more extra space for a new, beefier battery. Here are the statistics...

Battery Measurements:

Length: 10cm/100mm
    Height: 6.7cm/67mm
    Thickness: .4cm/4mm
    wh(watt-hour): 11.1(as stated on battery)

The battery has a ground, positive and negative wire that are soldered to the circuit board.

Battery Compartment:

Length: 10.3cm/103mm
    Height: 9.7 cm/97mm
    Thickness: .4cm/4mm (I am assuming the width should be the same as the current OEM battery width and wouldn't go any fatter.)

Battery Label:

-Rec 11.1wh 3.7v
    + 427010625 G20214101053

Unfortunately nothing pulls up on Google about this battery and I am not surprised.

To see the pictures please download the 30mb rar file from here. I would post them here but I'd rather share the raw files which are much larger and better resolution.

How to open up your Next7S Premium Tablet

WARNING: You will most likely break 1 or more snap brackets that hold this tablet together. The brackets are so brittle they were made to break when opened so tough love. I broke probably 4 or 5 but the case will still snap back into place however there will be small gaps around the tablets where the broken brackets are. So unless you are a miracle worker you are guaranteed to break a couple brackets. Oh and I am not responsible for any damage you do to your device.

I used a plastic spreader that came with my silver thermal compound paste but a thin credit card will work to. Don't use anything metal like a small screw driver otherwise you will chew up your case. The easiest starting point is in the middle between the charging port and the micro usb port. If you have good strong fingernails that aren't too long you can get your nails in there to spread the plastic open long enough to get your tool in there. You will need to apply a moderate amount of force get this process going. I would inch by inch spread the plastic with my nails and spreader. The corners are a little difficult but just use your gut feeling as to how to approach it. If at all possible take special care around the power and volume hard buttons. If you break the brackets around there your buttons will never be the same. Yes, they will be functional but wiggly. I managed to break one bracket but the other stayed in tacked but my power button is a little wiggly. Once you get half way through you can start pulling the two plastic pieces apart.

If you end up breaking many or all of the brackets which could easily happen, there are ways of fixing this. In most cases you will carry around your tablet in a case so the case will keep it together easily. Or you can grab some black electrical tape and just tape around the tablet. No one will ever know. Its not like this tablet is shiney or looks kick ass. Its pretty bold looking as is.

How to put the case back together

This is the easy part. Start from the power and volume buttons and make sure those are snug first. Then snap the rest in place and your done.

Ok, so now that I have done the messy part someone in the field of battery's needs to go out and find the best rechargeable battery that will fit the dimensions of the battery compartment. According to the spec sheet on Nextbookusa.com the stock battery is 3000MAH. Hopefully someone can find one that is double that considering we have more space to work with. Please post your findings!

Cheers!

I ended up finding a really close battery. It's 1mm fatter which should be ok, is 3mm taller but we can stuff the battery in there and has a 3 pin plug which can be cut off and then you got separate ground, positive and negative. Its a 5000mah 3.7v battery. Only downfall is that in order to purchase this battery you have to buy 1000 of them. Alibaba.com is gay like that. Here is the link...

If anyone can find anything like this please post it here!
    Last edited by FreakAZoid; 07-27-2012, 23:54.

I took mine apart and changed to a 3 cell iPhone battery. Let me see if I can get you a picture of what I did. I would not have bothered as I got the battery for free. If you were to buy it, it would have cost you something like US$100.

Comment

Awesome! Yes please send pictures! Also a link to a website that displays the details of the battery you used that replaced the stock.

Exciting!

After looking at iphone replacement batteries, I see around 1420MAh and the batteries are ribbon cables. I would be interested to see what you did. I'd assume you wouldn't downgrade your battery. And I'd also assume you wouldn't go out of the way and replace the battery unless you had a more powerful one on hand. And since the tablet battery is 3000MAh...an iphone battery does not even come close. You really got me thinking.
      Last edited by FreakAZoid; 07-27-2012, 06:33.

Comment

These guys
        tenergy batteries, tenergy 18650, tenergy AA, tenergy AAA, tenergy battery packs, li-ion batteries, lithium batteries

have some options on batteries.

I've been thinking about using 2 batteries in parallel to maximize space vs power.

Depending on which ones I choose, I should be able to at least double the run time.
        More.... when I get around to actually doing it.

Comment

Tonydiv I was looking at those the other day thinking the same thing lol

Update this if you go for it.
          NextBook 7 Premium -S/N 0911 Running one of Many Finless Bob's Roms found here!

Yuandao/Window N101T (Model 1:2nd Batch) Running Finless Bob's 1.6 Rom kernel# 26
          Found Here

ZTE Score (X500) running a rooted stock rom.

Comment

Originally posted by tonydiv View Post
            These guys
            tenergy batteries, tenergy 18650, tenergy AA, tenergy AAA, tenergy battery packs, li-ion batteries, lithium batteries

have some options on batteries.

I've been thinking about using 2 batteries in parallel to maximize space vs power.

Depending on which ones I choose, I should be able to at least double the run time.
            More.... when I get around to actually doing it.
            Nice find. I found a couple batteries from that website that MIGHT work chaining two together gaining over all more battery capacity. Here are a couple that might work. You would have to buy two of them and link them together.

http://www.all-battery.com/LIPO3.7V3...ker-31958.aspx < Best Match(Two of these batteries would give a combined total mAh of 6400 which is more then double the stock battery or you could buy one and add it to the stock giving you 6200mAh. The dimensions are perfect and would most likely fit snug. However I have no idea how I would connect this. If a battery expert could help explain how to solder wire to this battery please let me know. If its doable I will buy two and start working on it.)(Never mind. They require a minimal order of 3000 or more in order to get this battery. Very gay. I hate company's like that.)

http://www.all-battery.com/polymerli...ah0550100.aspx < Too thick for comfort. No guarantee the case would close.

http://www.all-battery.com/polymerli...000-30107.aspx < Too thick for comfort. No guarantee the case would close.
            Last edited by FreakAZoid; 07-28-2012, 18:45.

Comment

First of all heres a CMA thread by PGR about lithium Batteries. It makes for an interesteing read
              And another about the problems and risks of wiring lithium polymer batteries in parallel.

Here's some of my findings for li-po batteries. Please bear in mind that some specs may be out of the scope pointed out above due to relatively stupid compromises that come around when you've looked thru hundreds of batteries.

So check your specs before blindly buying.

Single Battery Possible Setups

Double Battery Possible Setups

4 Battery Possible Setups

Here's Some Awesome Ones If they're Stacked like a deck of cards and we used 2 cells repositioned.

Yuandao/Window N101T (Model 1:2nd Batch) Running Finless Bob's 1.6 Rom kernel# 26
              Found Here

Comment

This is great and valuable information c0nK3R. Thanks for sharing.

After thoroughly reading the provided articles I am convinced that I will not be combining two batteries in parallel or the like. I will stick with one battery. After seeing that youtube video I am not risking my life over a battery experiment. I am hoping to find a single battery with 5000mah or more with the dimensions provided in the OP. The only one I see from the list is this one...

4.5*80*97mm 4000mAh $9.00 a piece

But it would only increase my capacity by 1000mah and was hoping for 5000mah. Maybe I am expecting too much.

Anyways thanks for the info! You might of saved my life from an exploding battery.

Comment

LiPo fire

I do not feel there should be a great deal of concern of fire from an improved battery pack.
                  There is probably more reason the factory stock battery would have a problem.

I have seen some spectacular vids of LiPo fires in electric motor driven bicycles when racing.
                  They were built to the max. To win the race.

IMO it is high current flow that causes the problem.
                  Either from charging at a high rate, or an extreme load, which was the case of the racing bike.

Although we could increase the charging rate with an improved battery, the load would remain the same.
                  There should be no problem.

I am a newbie to tablets and the Android operating system.
                  I hope to learn.

A couple of questions...

Where are these pics of the inside of the Next 7s ?
                  (I'd like to implement re-cycled cell phone batteries, if possible.)

As another option, would it be possible to add an additional headphone style jack to the case and use it to attach an external battery for extended use ? IMO, if space is available within the case, even a hack such as myself could solder leads to the existing battery taps and run them to an external female jack.

I have just bought a Nextbook Premium 7s from Big Lots.
                  I went in to see if they had a Coby Kyros for sale, which they did not, and was impressed with the Next 7, and bought it for our son.

He is NOT one to hack things; prefers them nice and pretty, box stock and pristine.
                  (I wouldn't give a hoot if there was a bit of scotch tape holding the case together if hook latches gave out, as long as performance was improved. lol)

SO, I'll probably need to buy another so I have something to hack. :-)

I did run into my first glitch in the matrix... I was reading an E-book, had added a couple book marks without deleting the prior ones, and the whole book seemed to disappear from the roster. Only other change was I had taken a few pictures to try the camera, then put one of them to the screen wallpaper.
                  But I guess that prob is for another thread?

Best
                  rc

Comment

Hey rustycase,

The pictures are in a rar file u have to download. Underneath the battery specs in my OP it says to click "here" which is the link for the download.

I'm not drunk...I'm using Tapatalk.

Comment

rar

Tnx FAZ,

A lot of this is new to me and I don't even know what a rar file is. lol
                      I shall find out.
                      So much to learn!
                      Best
                      rc

Comment

RAR

Originally posted by rustycase View Post
                        Tnx FAZ,

A lot of this is new to me and I don't even know what a rar file is. lol
                        I shall find out.
                        So much to learn!
                        Best
                        rc
                        RAR is a compression format like zip. I use 7zip on the desktop to break them down.

Comment

Sorry I've been busy lately .

My opinion I would agree with rustycase about the batteries most likely won't go terminal and explode/torch under normal operating conditions. Those post above were just to educate those that attempt this and if you want to take the extra precaution make sure each battery has a pcm board and fuse for each battery to prevent one taking the other out .

I also found out that 7s(3.7v 3200mAh) does have a smaller battery than the 7p(3.7v 4000mAh). I'll post pictures, specs , and other info in an appropriate thread later. (I had great success splitting the case with 2 guitar pics lol ([email protected] nylon and 1@1mm or heavy guage for brute force))

Although in the end I decided not to do the battery mod and just upgrade to the yuandao n101 (Should arrive in the next 24hrs).

Hope this helps.

Found Here

Comment

Wow!
                            That's great conk!
                            I heard a lotta good things abt that yuandao.
                            I'm wondering how good the wifi is... life of a freebooter is real important to me.

Well, I gotta admit my blunders...

Using another additional cell pack with the existing battery still in place COULD cause problems of the spectacular kind.
                            Something about mis-match with the cells... I dunno, but don't want to lead anyone astray.

LiPo bats are apparently funny that way.

Hope you post a detailed report of experience with your new yaundao after you get to exercise it !

Best
                            rc

Comment

Well I'm skeptical about writing a full review only because I would be biased as this is only my 2nd Android device and it would be hard for me not to write a whole book about everything I've found .

As for wifi the signal compared to my nextbook premium 7 I'd say it is 15-20% weaker. My opinion though is the screen, dual front speakers, 10 hour battery, and computing power, more than makes up for it.

And about your blunders yeah I had already implied them lol I guess they were my blunders as well .
                              For best results just makes sure your batterys contain the same voltage, capacity, max discharge rate, and if possible same internal resistance.

Found Here

Comment

Working...
                              X