Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ShaunMT's Modified ROM for Nextbook NX785QC8G (Support Thread)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I took the tablet back to Walmart today. When I dropped off the tablet there, the lady was shaking her head and said they should put a sign in front of this tablet saying, "Do not buy" cause there have been a lot of returns for it.

Bummer too cause except for the shutting down issue, I really did like the tablet. I just didn't want to take the chance on getting another bad one so just got the refund. I then went home and ordered the NX700QC16G of which I had previously bought 2 (and all working perfect). I would rather have had an 8" tablet but just don't see any in that same $100 price range as the NX785QC8G was. I saw the newest NX785QC16G that has Windows 8.1 instead of Android, but know nothing about it's performance or reliability.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike89 View Post
      I took the tablet back to Walmart today. When I dropped off the tablet there, the lady was shaking her head and said they should put a sign in front of this tablet saying, "Do not buy" cause there have been a lot of returns for it.

Bummer too cause except for t real he shutting down issue, I really did like the tablet. I just didn't want to take the chance on getting another bad one so just got the refund. I then went home and ordered the NX700QC16G of which I had previously bought 2 (and all working perfect). I would rather have had an 8" tablet but just don't see any in that same $100 price range as the NX785QC8G was. I saw the newest NX785QC16G that has Windows 8.1 instead of Android, but know nothing about it's performance or reliability.
      Wow lots happened here since the last time I was on.sorry to hear the tablet didn't work for you mike.I don't know how many reports I read about the battery issue before I decided its not the rom or my installation of it.after I took mine apart and bent the tabs on the connector it worked fine.only reason I took it back was because I broke the speaker wires(well if it wasn't for my girlfriend,I wouldhave just soldered them back on.it was a gift from her)anyways back to my point!I now have a new nextbook8 nx785qc8g,flashed with shaunmts modified ROM with 4gig parameter and Shaun's twrp recovery,fully functional charging like it should.even installed exposed,removed fxmusic apk and replaced with DSP manager apk also installed xplore and titanium backup apks at system level basically everything I did with the last tab.(one with batt.issue)and it is all fully functional.😂ps I tried that next book update also,couldn't get it to even download on any computer,probably a good thing,but the real update might be nice to have on file if someone has it and wouldn't mind sharing.I do have the full stock backup of all partitions(with the exception of twrp recovery)always handy to have around😊

Comment

Crap you're right, I misread the 8G for the 16G. The downloaded rom even says 8G. What a bunch of wankers over there at Nextbook. No wonder it didn't work. Jeez. Fck me. So I guess there is no stock kitkat rom for this tablet. The reason I wanted to change back to it was I was thinking maybe the rooted rom somehow messed up the battery calibration or something as I didn't have that problem before I did it. But what the hell do I know, I've showed, not much.

This battery thing is really an issue now as I have to literally keep the charger plugged in all the time to keep it from consistently turning off when it drops below a 97% charge. So I either try to take the case apart to see if I can solve the battery issue and risk either breaking the case or marring it up to the point on not being able to return it or just take it back to Walmart for a refund (since I've only had it a couple of weeks). Hope they don't boot it up at Walmart and see the Freaktab start up image, heh heh.
        FYI... I found out that the NX785QC16G is the 8 inch Windows 8 tablet...

But I don't think that is the correct firmware for it either...

ShaunMT
        Freaktab Rom Developer

Subscribe To My Developer Thread For Updates On My Projects: ShaunMT

https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/..._donate_SM.gif

Comment

FYI... I found out that the NX785QC16G is the 8 inch Windows 8 tablet...
          I had mentioned that in my earlier post. What I find really un-excusable, besides of course releasing so many bad NX785QC8G's, is that 2 of the 3 downloads for all firmwares remain broken on their site. So essentially the only ones who can upgrade are the ones savvy enough to either come here for the correct downloads or are successful in getting them elsewhere. Which means only the geeks get the downloads, heh heh cause most people wouldn't know how to make sense out of it and would just skip the update. Sure doesn't say much for Nextbook as a company.

Comment

I had mentioned that in my earlier post. What I find really un-excusable, besides of course releasing so many bad NX785QC8G's, is that 2 of the 3 downloads for all firmwares remain broken on their site. So essentially the only ones who can upgrade are the ones savvy enough to either come here for the correct downloads or are successful in getting them elsewhere. Which means only the geeks get the downloads, heh heh. Sure doesn't say much for them as a company.
            What do you expect...

eFun (The North American distributor of Nextbook) is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Chinese manufacturer Yifang Digital...

Yifang Digital cranks out these cheap tablets using the cheapest parts available and sells them under different brand names in different parts of the world... (Prestigio, Master-G, etc...)

If a part runs out, or a cheaper part is available they just switch...

They get really lazy with the ROM changes too... several of the Nextbook ROMs have model numbers leftover in the build.prop files from some of the other brands... others have build.prop entries leftover from previous hardware versions... I've also noticed that several have multiple unused kernel modules leftover from older products also...

ShaunMT
            Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

New screen

I am attempting to replace the screen on this tablet that my son broke. My question is I am getting confused on replacing the digitizer versus the lcd screen or does the digitizer house the lcd. Could someone take a look at this link and let me know if I order this item if it would fix my problem. I am only able to find replacement digitizer screens and no mention of lcd screens. Sorry but as stated before kind of new to all of this.

http://www.****.com/itm/New-Touch-Sc...item27f5fb15d8

Thanks in advance

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mikeborut View Post
                I am attempting to replace the screen on this tablet that my son broke. My question is I am getting confused on replacing the digitizer versus the lcd screen or does the digitizer house the lcd. Could someone take a look at this link and let me know if I order this item if it would fix my problem. I am only able to find replacement digitizer screens and no mention of lcd screens. Sorry but as stated before kind of new to all of this.

http://www.****.com/itm/New-Touch-Sc...item27f5fb15d8

Thanks in advance

Mike
                What we commonly think of as a "touch screen" usually consists of three parts...

The first part is a display screen (LCD, AMOLED, etc...).

The display is covered by a touch digitizer that detects touch input.

The touch digitizer is normally covered by a protective layer of some type of plastic or glass like substance.

These parts are sometimes glued together and intended to be swapped as a pre-assembled unit.

The part you linked above appears to be the touch digitizer only, and possibly the top protective layer.

If you need the actual display screen, it is likely to cost nearly as much as a new device, if not more. The display screen is normally the single most expensive component of any portable device.

ShaunMT

On second thought... those **** parts are probably salvaged from broken tablets and might actually be the whole display/digitizer/front bezel assembly...

Best to ask the seller...
                Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Thanks for the information I will contact the seller.

Mike

Comment

Again wanted to thank you for your patience and help. I am attaching a picture as I am assuming both the digitizer and LCD are damaged. Does anyone have any suggestions where I can find the cost on a replacement screen? I have been scouring the internet and can find the digitizer but having difficulty finding both digitizer and LCD together. Is there a way I can contact the manufacturer?
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mikeborut View Post
                      Again wanted to thank you for your patience and help. I am attaching a picture as I am assuming both the digitizer and LCD are damaged. Does anyone have any suggestions where I can find the cost on a replacement screen? I have been scouring the internet and can find the digitizer but having difficulty finding both digitizer and LCD together. Is there a way I can contact the manufacturer?
                      Well, the outer screen cover is cracked for certain...

The digitizer is most likely cracked as well (especially if there is no touch response)... digitizers are extremely thin and easy to crack or shatter...

I can't tell from the photo if the LCD/display is damaged or not... the damage to the cover and digitizer could be causing display distortion... but it's likely damaged as well...

Don't know if they sell parts (their support staff is not usually very helpful), but their contact info is easy to find on the NextbookUSA website (North American Nextbook marketing/support division), eFun website (North American distribution subsidiary) or Yifang Digital website (parent company and manufacturer in Hong Kong).

ShaunMT
                      Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Couple or 3 questions

1. To increase the partition size in the nextbook 8 I should follow the instructions at ShaunMT-s-Parameter-Patches-for-Nextbook-NX785QC8G-(Download-Thread) right?

Am I correct in assuming that this basically does the same thing as the firmware patch on the nextbook 7 does? (I had to that one last week for my grandsons' now my granddaughter is getting the same out of memory issue)

3. You have listed 3 sizes - are the sizes related to the additional memory available? If so - why wouldn't everyone want the largest - the 3rd option.

4. Now this might be a dumb question - if the firmware fixed the 7 and the 8 firmware updates to the same Kit kat version as the 7. Why won't the same firmware that fixed the 7, work on the 8?

5. Someone will be here if I mess up ?

6 Everything needs to be done from an sd card? or can I do it from my pc? If the sd card - I need to get an sd card reader correct?

I don't want to mess this up so please excuse all the questions.

Thank you so much for your help on the Nextbook 7

Karen

Comment

1. To increase the partition size in the nextbook 8 I should follow the instructions at ShaunMT-s-Parameter-Patches-for-Nextbook-NX785QC8G-(Download-Thread) right?
                          Yes. (Assuming you tablet is a Nextbook 8 NX785QC8G)

2 Am I correct in assuming that this basically does the same thing as the firmware patch on the nextbook 7 does? (I had to that one last week for my grandsons' now my granddaughter is getting the same out of memory issue)
                          Not exactly. The Nextbook 7 (NX700QC16G?) is entirely different hardware inside. If I'm not mistaken, in addition to a different CPU and completely different firmware, it uses a different type of internal memory and the update changes the file system layout to a /data/media layout where there is only one partition for "data" which contains a folder for the "sdcard" so they share the same space, instead of separate partitions for "data" and "sdcard".

3. You have listed 3 sizes - are the sizes related to the additional memory available? If so - why wouldn't everyone want the largest - the 3rd option.
                          Most people probably would want the largest possible "data" partition for apps, but the "sdcard" partition is the part where photos, music, movies, and other media files are normally stored. It also the part that appears like a flash drive when you plug the tablet into a computer. So a person who uses lots of media files on their tablet, or moves files between tablet and computer frequently might want some space in the "sdcard" partition, especially if they don't have an external SD card.

4. Now this might be a dumb question - if the firmware fixed the 7 and the 8 firmware updates to the same Kit kat version as the 7. Why won't the same firmware that fixed the 7, work on the 8?
                          This is partially because the two models have completely different parts inside and partially because the developers at Yifang (manufacturer) /eFun (NA Distribution Subsidiary) /Nextbook (NA Tablet Division) don't know much about how Android works... they work with whatever firmware the CPU/main board maker provides and port it to match their parts.

5. Someone will be here if I mess up ?
                          I'll help if I can.

6 Everything needs to be done from an sd card? or can I do it from my pc? If the sd card - I need to get an sd card reader correct?
                          It is easier to do from sdcard... I can't offer much help with any of the Rockchip PC apps, because I don't use them. You probably don't need an SD Card reader. Assuming you are on windows or mac, you should be able to plug the tablet into the computer via USB and use the internal and external SD cards in the tablet as USB Drives to copy files to it.

I don't want to mess this up so please excuse all the questions.
                          It is easier to answer your questions before you start than trying to trace your steps after something goes wrong.

Thank you so much for your help on the Nextbook 7

Karen
                          Thanks and welcome!

ShaunMT
                          Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

start up screen

with the new installation - does the splash screen change? Saw some posts mention this, If it does - can you tell me what it looks like - I want to make sure that it will be ok on my granddaughters tablet.
                            Thanks,
                            Karen

Comment

Originally posted by Karenbrooke View Post
                              with the new installation - does the splash screen change? Saw some posts mention this, If it does - can you tell me what it looks like - I want to make sure that it will be ok on my granddaughters tablet.
                              Thanks,
                              Karen
                              I use the same splash screen or combination in all of my ROMs. It consists of a Freaktab.com logo with a stars and stripe design, and an enlarged version of my freaktab user avatar, which you can view on any of my posts.

If you have any further concerns regarding the images used, please feel free to share them.

ShaunMT
                              Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Nextbook tech support replied to my query about the firmware they currently have for the NX785QC16G. They said that is for a future NX785QC16G android version which will be coming soon. Hopefully it does open up the app space the way their firmware did for the NX700QC16G. I also got them to admit their flash tool listed for the NX700QC16G was corrupt (after them first telling me in an earlier email that it wasn't). They still won't cop to their Driver being bugged though. I guess one out of two is better than nothing, heh heh.

Comment

Working...
                                X