Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ShaunMT's Modified ROM for Nextbook NX785QC8G (Support Thread)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by orlandoamg360 View Post
    After installing your ROM, I installed OMA's cwm recovery 6.0.3.1 using the rkandroid tool provided by his custom ROM zip package. Installed fine and everything works correctly. I then proceeded to make a nandroid backup of your ROM. I then flashed his custom ROM again because his ROM has a 2GB data partition. Afterwards, I restored the nandroid backup of your ROM via cwm. And voilà. I am now running your custom ROM with a 2GB data partition and 4.50GB internal sd partition. Think of it as a temporary solution until you are able to release your patch/tweaks. Best of both worlds if you ask me. By the way, thanks for all the hard work you put into this ROM. Everything is running fine, smooth and fast. Really appreciate it. Now this fully unleashed tablet is something special!
    That's one way to do it I guess... glad it's working for you, but those /data and /sdcard sizes don't sound correct... with /data at 2GB, I believe /SDCard should only be about 3.5GB, unless OMA shrunk some other partitions...

Did you do a factory reset and erase internal SD card? You have to, in order to apply the new partition layout...

ShaunMT
    Freaktab Rom Developer

Subscribe To My Developer Thread For Updates On My Projects: ShaunMT

https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/..._donate_SM.gif

Comment

Originally posted by Exile1975 View Post
      Has anyone gotten multi user to work? It worked just fine in 4.2.2 after adding the build prop line and i see it should be enabled in this one but I'm not getting it to show in options. Should i just use xposed or am i missing something?
      Multiuser support doesn't exist in the official 4.4.2 update for some reason... use xposed to re-enable it.

ShaunMT
      Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

I dont want to take the thread off topic but im wondering If anyone can provide a link perhaps of how to take advantage of the rooted tablet with regard to

being able to delete the bloatware
        Use any root file explorer (I like ES File Explorer), mount /system read/write, navigate to /system/app and delete away...

Or find an app manager in Play store to move apps from /system to /data then delete through the launcher...

using super su
        Google it...

adding an alternate app store
        Why? What app store? I'd guess there are several in the Play store... Google it...
        Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

The system partition in Oma's rom is also shrunk. It's about 800 mb.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunmt View Post
            That's one way to do it I guess... glad it's working for you, but those /data and /sdcard sizes don't sound correct... with /data at 2GB, I believe /SDCard should only be about 3.5GB, unless OMA shrunk some other partitions...

Did you do a factory reset and erase internal SD card? You have to, in order to apply the new partition layout...

ShaunMT
            Im guessing OMA shrunk other partitions. Not sure which. I know for a fact /system got shrunk though. It's somewhat smaller. And it's during the flashing of OMA's rom, that the script automatically factory resets the /data, /sdcard, and /cache partitions. All instructions are included in the ROM package.

Comment

Im guessing OMA shrunk other partitions. Not sure which. I know for a fact /system got shrunk though. It's somewhat smaller. And it's during the flashing of OMA's rom, that the script automatically factory resets the /data, /sdcard, and /cache partitions. All instructions are included in the ROM package.
              Well... I just realized that changing the sizes pretty much requires flashing the whole ROM because the /system partition gets moved to a new location in NAND... also the stock recovery requires that recovery.img and bootloader be part of the update.img package (I'm guessing they get updated with the new partition layout)...

So.... I'll be posting additional ROM versions with different sizes... probably yet tonight...

I was already thinking about modifying the update script to wipe everything during install. I'll test the changes, and if it works, set it to wipe everything during install. Will prevent user questions later...

ShaunMT
              Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Well... I just realized that changing the sizes pretty much requires flashing the whole ROM because the /system partition gets moved to a new location in NAND... also the stock recovery requires that recovery.img and bootloader be part of the update.img package (I'm guessing they get updated with the new partition layout)...

So.... I'll be posting additional ROM versions with different sizes... probably yet tonight...

I was already thinking about modifying the update script to wipe everything during install. I'll test the changes, and if it works, set it to wipe everything during install. Will prevent user questions later...

ShaunMT
                That explains why I couldn't just flash the parameter file. I tried several times and each time it resulted in softbricking my tablet. Luckily I could still boot into bootloader mode and start again with the rkandroid tool. I finally gave up and just decided to restore the nandroid backup of your rom over OMA'S, thinking that the parameters of your rom would also be restored. Imagine my surprise when I found out that wasn't the case.

Comment

That explains why I couldn't just flash the parameter file. I tried several times and each time it resulted in softbricking my tablet. Luckily I could still boot into bootloader mode and start again with the rkandroid tool. I finally gave up and just decided to restore the nandroid backup of your rom over OMA'S, thinking that the parameters of your rom would also be restored. Imagine my surprise when I found out that wasn't the case.
                  a CWM backup is just /data, /system, /recovery, /cache and maybe /boot... I believe it restores to them to the location indicated by the command line for the bootloader...

The parameter file is specific to rockchip which is why we can currently only flash it via the rockchip tools or stock recovery...

Rockchip also uses a different bootloader image format than other devices... and an optional stand alone kernel partition that isn't available on all devices...

ShaunMT
                  Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

I will GLADLY test a new re-partitioned rom for you, preferably one large partition since there is an external SD card. I really want to fire up Injustice: Gods Among Us on this thing, but it is 1GB by itself. Just let me know!

Comment

Same... 3 GB would be awesome

Comment

Soft Brick?

I think I soft bricked my device (stupid me I’m impatient) while trying to install CWM recovery, I got as far as using RKAndroidtool, unticked kernel, boot, and system options and clicked "run" to install recovery_ CWM.img. It seemed to go ok until RKAndroidtool finished with “INFO:Run OK”. The nextbook was supposed to reboot into recovery on it’s own, but nothing happened. In fact, nothing is still happening no matter what I do. RKAndroidtool will show “Found” and “No Found” at times when I try to reboot manually, but absolutely nothing shows on the screen. Is it possible it stuck in fastboot mode? HELP!!! Lol.

Phones and Kindles were easier for me than this thing...

Comment

Originally posted by AMMO View Post
                          I think I soft bricked my device (stupid me I’m impatient) while trying to install CWM recovery, I got as far as using RKAndroidtool, unticked kernel, boot, and system options and clicked "run" to install recovery_ CWM.img. It seemed to go ok until RKAndroidtool finished with “INFO:Run OK”. The nextbook was supposed to reboot into recovery on it’s own, but nothing happened. In fact, nothing is still happening no matter what I do. RKAndroidtool will show “Found” and “No Found” at times when I try to reboot manually, but absolutely nothing shows on the screen. Is it possible it stuck in fastboot mode? HELP!!! Lol.

Sounds like you bricked it alright... It's possible it's stuck in fastboot mode, but I'd guess you either erased the bootloader or flashed a bad one. In fact, I'm guessing you were probably supposed to untick bootloader...

Is the tablet still recognized by the flashing tool?

I'm guessing you'll have to either figure out how to reflash the entire update.img via the flash tool, or if it can't flash the whole file (the unix version I use can't), unpack the update.img and flash the individual parts...

This would be why I don't want to provide user support for any of the rkflash tools... It just isn't a very user friendly process and not many users are familiar with it...
                          Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

I'm guessing you'll have to either figure out how to reflash the entire update.img via the flash tool, or if it can't flash the whole file (the unix version I use can't), unpack the update.img and flash the individual parts...
                            That is what I am attempting at the moment, still waiting on the update to flash. If not, then I’ll try the individual components. Either way, I always learn the hard way, and have refused to let an electronic device beat me. We shall see and I’ll let you know how it works, if anything to help people avoid my mistakes and help correct them if they do, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by AMMO View Post

Reconnect the tablet to pc and when the rkandroid tool says found, reflash OMA'S rom once again. I've softbricked my tablet many times. Afterwards, you will have to begin again. On a side note, I've found an easier way to install cwm recovery. Download arctools.apk from

And follow the instructions there to flash the recovery.

Comment

Got it working with OMA’s ROM, however there goes any chance at nand backup. Oh well, live and learn. I’ll give it round two tomorrow. Thanks for the help orlandoamg360! Saved me from the wrath of the wife!

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                                X