Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ShaunMT's Modified ROM for Nextbook NX785QC8G (Support Thread)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking donations for the blind

Hi Shaun (and everyone), please allow me to give you some background and alert you to the fact that I have a very mechanically oriented mind with little understanding of these things you excel at. Yep, I hear you shaking your head at the thought of dealing with another one of "THEM". I've been on your side of the fence and know how tiring it can be teaching advanced technology to those without a foundation. As such, I've done all I could to keep from being a bother. Now I think I have to be a bother..

I have a lifelong weakness that drives me to not be satisfied with anything "as it comes", thinking I can make it better. Sometimes I do and sometimes I break things, but I can't stop.

Anyway, my kids got me this Nextbook 8 for Christmas and had to shown how to turn it on and off because I'd never touched one before. Heck, I just got my first cell phone 3 years ago...and it's a flip-open one.

Instinctively, within 24 hours I started searching for a way to debloat. After rooting I never looked back and have only 3 games that I downloaded for my youngest son to enjoy. For me, the quest for improvement is on and that's really all I do with it. I've come a ways thanks to the internet and this forum in particular, but I'm still building a foundation. I know this is wordy, but when I ask for your guidance I don't want to leave you with the impression that I should understand. I probably should, but I don't.

Fast forwarding: A few weeks ago I installed your modified TWRP to be able to properly backup so I could freely pursue improvements until utter destruction shuts me down. After tossing the idea around for several days I decided I wanted to upgrade to your Kitkat rom. I downloaded both varieties, but prefer the zip since I feel savvy with TWRP after repeated use, plus it seems too easy to screw up. So far no luck, tho. I get your splash, but a handful of seconds after the stock logo comes on it freezes.

I've read this thread 4 times and tried everything, I think. Flashed only, cleared data and cache before, cleared after, cleared before AND after, factory reset a few times, cleared data, cache and dalvik a few times. I've even downloaded the zip 3 times in the off chance something got lost in the atmosphere between there and there. I know I'm doing something wrong and I can't figure it out.

I have SuperSU, ROM Toolbox, Xposed, XInstaller and a few other goodies, but after having to reformat Windows 95 years ago after deleting some kind of file I learned not to mess with the grey matter in cpu's. All is still stock in there. So what am I missing?

Due to my modus operandi I'm happy enough with the stock partition layout, so your Kitkat rom is all I'm after for now. Do I need to change my partitions anyway? My external SD has over 25Gb available after putting the zip in there, so I know I'm not running out of space for TWRP to flex its muscles.

I'm sorry this is a book and future correspondence won't be, I just wanted you to understand when you start to laugh why I'm somehow missing a basic rule of Android law. I don't think it's compatibility, I went by the criteria for your TWRP and everything is identical, I'm pretty sure it's just me.

Thank you for any help you can give me, I appreciate your patience. Now I've gotta go adjust my carburetor for the summer blend, but I'll check back later for a response. No hurry, I know you have a family too and it IS Sunday after all.

Comment

Originally posted by OldrNdirt View Post
      Hi Shaun (and everyone), please allow me to give you some background and alert you to the fact that I have a very mechanically oriented mind with little understanding of these things you excel at. Yep, I hear you shaking your head at the thought of dealing with another one of "THEM". I've been on your side of the fence and know how tiring it can be teaching advanced technology to those without a foundation. As such, I've done all I could to keep from being a bother. Now I think I have to be a bother..

I have a lifelong weakness that drives me to not be satisfied with anything "as it comes", thinking I can make it better. Sometimes I do and sometimes I break things, but I can't stop.

Anyway, my kids got me this Nextbook 8 for Christmas and had to shown how to turn it on and off because I'd never touched one before. Heck, I just got my first cell phone 3 years ago...and it's a flip-open one.

Instinctively, within 24 hours I started searching for a way to debloat. After rooting I never looked back and have only 3 games that I downloaded for my youngest son to enjoy. For me, the quest for improvement is on and that's really all I do with it. I've come a ways thanks to the internet and this forum in particular, but I'm still building a foundation. I know this is wordy, but when I ask for your guidance I don't want to leave you with the impression that I should understand. I probably should, but I don't.

Fast forwarding: A few weeks ago I installed your modified TWRP to be able to properly backup so I could freely pursue improvements until utter destruction shuts me down. After tossing the idea around for several days I decided I wanted to upgrade to your Kitkat rom. I downloaded both varieties, but prefer the zip since I feel savvy with TWRP after repeated use, plus it seems too easy to screw up. So far no luck, tho. I get your splash, but a handful of seconds after the stock logo comes on it freezes.

I've read this thread 4 times and tried everything, I think. Flashed only, cleared data and cache before, cleared after, cleared before AND after, factory reset a few times, cleared data, cache and dalvik a few times. I've even downloaded the zip 3 times in the off chance something got lost in the atmosphere between there and there. I know I'm doing something wrong and I can't figure it out.

I have SuperSU, ROM Toolbox, Xposed, XInstaller and a few other goodies, but after having to reformat Windows 95 years ago after deleting some kind of file I learned not to mess with the grey matter in cpu's. All is still stock in there. So what am I missing?

Due to my modus operandi I'm happy enough with the stock partition layout, so your Kitkat rom is all I'm after for now. Do I need to change my partitions anyway? My external SD has over 25Gb available after putting the zip in there, so I know I'm not running out of space for TWRP to flex its muscles.

I'm sorry this is a book and future correspondence won't be, I just wanted you to understand when you start to laugh why I'm somehow missing a basic rule of Android law. I don't think it's compatibility, I went by the criteria for your TWRP and everything is identical, I'm pretty sure it's just me.

Thank you for any help you can give me, I appreciate your patience. Now I've gotta go adjust my carburetor for the summer blend, but I'll check back later for a response. No hurry, I know you have a family too and it IS Sunday after all.
      Thanks for taking the time to read before asking for help, and also for providing as much detail as possible regarding what you've already tried.

It sounds like you at least a partial backup with TWRP before you started? Have you tried restoring from that backup using TWRP? It might be easiest to restore your tablet to a known good backup rather than trying to figure out why it won't currently boot.

The parameter patches to change partition layout/sizes should be entirely optional and can be flashed with or without my ROM and before or after my ROM.

Theoretically, a factory reset or wiping data and cache, then flashing the ROM, should result in a working a device (assuming none of the processes fail for some reason.) Restoring from backup should also result in a working device (assuming the restore process doesn't fail for some reason.)

If any of the processes fail, I think the most likely reason would be a corrupted partition, which should be fixable by reformatting the affected partition.

ShaunMT
      Freaktab Rom Developer

Subscribe To My Developer Thread For Updates On My Projects: ShaunMT

https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/..._donate_SM.gif

Comment

Oh, sorry for not clarifying. I can restore my backup from TWRP okay and everything is fine, but upgrading my current 4.2.2 to your Kitkat rom is what's being contrary. Like my tablet is refusing to cooperate.

Using your modified TWRP to install the zip file looks good while in progress and says it's successful when it finishes, then when it reboots I get your Freaktab splash screen (like I think it's supposed to) and proceeds to the Nextbook boot logo. About 10 seconds in after that the Nextbook logo stops shimmering and never finishes booting back into the system. I've even let it set there for over 2 hours just in case I wasn't being patient enough for a "longer than normal" boot. Then I restore, start over, doesn't work, restore, start over and so on.

For good measure sometimes I'll sit in a different angle or cross my eyes, even act like I'm not paying attention to it just trying to will it into deciding it wants to be a Kitkat rather than a Jelly Bean. That probably sounds goofy, but think of my amazement if it would have worked.

Maybe I should try the RKIMAGE. Can I use TWRP for that or is it necessary to use the stock recovery?

Comment

Oh, sorry for not clarifying. I can restore my backup from TWRP okay and everything is fine, but upgrading my current 4.2.2 to your Kitkat rom is what's being contrary. Like my tablet is refusing to cooperate.

Using your modified TWRP to install the zip file looks good while in progress and says it's successful when it finishes, then when it reboots I get your Freaktab splash screen (like I think it's supposed to) and proceeds to the Nextbook boot logo. About 10 seconds in after that the Nextbook logo stops shimmering and never finishes booting back into the system. I've even let it set there for over 2 hours just in case I wasn't being patient enough for a "longer than normal" boot. Then I restore, start over, doesn't work, restore, start over and so on.

For good measure sometimes I'll sit in a different angle or cross my eyes, even act like I'm not paying attention to it just trying to will it into deciding it wants to be a Kitkat rather than a Jelly Bean. That probably sounds goofy, but think of my amazement if it would have worked.

Maybe I should try the RKIMAGE. Can I use TWRP for that or is it necessary to use the stock recovery?
          Glad the restore is working for you...

I don't think I've tried going directly from stock to the TWRP update.zip. I think most people installed either the official KK update or one of my parameter patches before installing my TWRP update.zip.

Go ahead and try either the RKIMAGE (it can only be installed using stock recovery) or try one of the parameter patches, then the update.zip. It is possible that the KK update required a parameter change and the update.zip doesn't include the parameters.

Be sure to do a restore to a working system first!

ShaunMT
          Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Houston, we found the problem! Now I see this thread was above my head from the start, even thought I was aware you started this development after getting a NB WITH the Kitkat rom. Strange how my mind locked on the word "upgrade", not considering the upgrade was only for previously upgraded stock KK. Funny how the mind works sometimes, huh.

Soooo, I'll mosey on over to the parameter corral and lasso something pretty, then commence another zip rodeo. See? I knew there was some small detail I was overlooking.

And no need to thank me on the testing for stock 4.2 - mod 4.4, it's been a pleasure tumbling down the canyon that resides in between...

Thank you mucho and I'll let you know of any success or failure.

Comment

space

Hay i know you been working hard on this for a while but is their a reason that you haven't fixed the small portion problem i never have any time to read every single post on the thread and i just like to know if it coming or not as i flashed my tablet with your rom hoping it might fix it because you started a while ago. sorry if im to be a bother also i enjoy you work

Comment

Originally posted by miguelmen1 View Post
                Hay i know you been working hard on this for a while but is their a reason that you haven't fixed the small portion problem i never have any time to read every single post on the thread and i just like to know if it coming or not as i flashed my tablet with your rom hoping it might fix it because you started a while ago. sorry if im to be a bother also i enjoy you work
                If you are referring to increasing the /data partition size, by decreasing the internal SD card size, then yes, I released patches for a couple of different sizes... there is a separate thread here in the Nextbook forums for them.

ShaunMT
                Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Well now, you got me fixed up just great, Shaun. I installed a parameter patch on my stock 4.2, then was able to successfully upgrade to your modified rom.

The moral of the story is that if my 10 thumbs can do it....well, you know. Sky's the limit while you got my back.

Thanks, brother.

Comment

Well now, you got me fixed up just great, Shaun. I installed a parameter patch on my stock 4.2, then was able to successfully upgrade to your modified rom.

The moral of the story is that if my 10 thumbs can do it....well, you know. Sky's the limit while you got my back.

Thanks, brother.
                    Glad you got it working! Check back now and then... There may be more options coming for this model...

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
                    Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

I certainly will. I've been in the shadows since I first stumbled upon it and possibly I probably could use a little more larnin'.

Comment

i had the same problem. just format the system to ext4 and then try to load his rom. i did that and it booted with everything even his parameter patches. this may work for you as an alternative

Comment

now to shaun ik its a stretch but think you can whip up a carbon 4.4.4 rom for us?

Comment

Originally posted by mel4787 View Post
                            now to shaun ik its a stretch but think you can whip up a carbon 4.4.4 rom for us?
                            If I ever get all of the hardware working in my OmniRom build, I might be able to give it a try...

If I ever release OmniRom, remind me that you wanted me try CarbonRom...
                            Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Originally posted by mel4787 View Post
                              i had the same problem. just format the system to ext4 and then try to load his rom. i did that and it booted with everything even his parameter patches. this may work for you as an alternative
                              OldrNdirt was able to solve his problem the other day. I think he either used stock to install the .img ROM format, or installed a parameter patch, followed by the .zip ROM format. Either of which would have reformatted the system partition.
                              Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Originally posted by shaunmt View Post
                                OldrNdirt was able to solve his problem the other day. I think he either used stock to install the .img ROM format, or installed a parameter patch, followed by the .zip ROM format. Either of which would have reformatted the system partition.

Yup, I was able to use the .zip just like I wanted. I think I tried (with custom TWRP) 16 or 61 times and it always stopped a few seconds into boot. I got Shaun's Freaktab splash, so I know it was trying. I even downloaded the .zip a second time in case my first one was having a bad hair day.

Evidently stock partitions in Jelly Beans aren't conducive to this .zip, although the .img flash may have worked fine. Never tried it, tho. Once my noggin formulates a plan I tend to keep spinning my wheels until I either gain traction or burn the rubber off.

Comment

Working...
                                X