Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ShaunMT's Modified ROM for Nextbook NX785QC8G (Support Thread)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by orlandoamg360 View Post
    Im guessing OMA shrunk other partitions. Not sure which. I know for a fact /system got shrunk though. It's somewhat smaller. And it's during the flashing of OMA's rom, that the script automatically factory resets the /data, /sdcard, and /cache partitions. All instructions are included in the ROM package.
    I made some more progress last night... I can now get the first boot after flashing a new parameter file to work successfully, and /sdcard shows the new size without manually reformatting it, but the new system size doesn't get applied until after a manual reset of /data.

I'm guessing /data is being wiped too early in the process... I'll try again tonight to get it working perfectly...

I also figured out how to get the update.img to successfully install a kernel to the kernel partition. This means I can move the kernel from the boot image partition to the kernel partition in the next ROM versions, which will make it easier and safer to test custom kernels in the future if we get a kernel dev working on this tablet.

ShaunMT
    Freaktab Rom Developer

Subscribe To My Developer Thread For Updates On My Projects: ShaunMT

https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/..._donate_SM.gif

Comment

I would like once again to thank you for taking time out of your life to work on something that will greatly improve this device, and sharing it with us. I can't wait to give this thing a spin! You rock Sir!

Comment

Originally posted by AMMO View Post
        I would like once again to thank you for taking time out of your life to work on something that will greatly improve this device, and sharing it with us
        . I can't wait to give this thing a spin! You rock Sir!
        Same here bro. Thanks a lot! Really do appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by orlandoamg360 View Post
          Ok guys. After reflashing OMA'S rom (necessary to remove cwm and restore stock recovery) i updated to ShaunMT's rom with his update.img via the stock recovery ...
          Ok, you guys have to think I'm an idiot by now... I swear I've never ran into this many difficulties before. So after having OMA's rom up and running, I also reflashed ShaunMT's rom using his update.img. I installed it via the notification that pops up after you transfer it to the tablet. Everything went fine until first reboot, and it just freezes at the bearded android with a pipe screen and hangs. I've also tried flashing by pushing with RKAndroidtools. It also installs fine but freezes as above. I think I #$%#@ my bootloader when I originally screwed it up. I retried the whole process by reflashing OMA's firmware. OMA's firmware flashes fine and is usable as before, but ShaunMT's update.img still hangs at splash screen. Thoughts?

Comment

Re: ShaunMT's Modified ROM for Nextbook NX785QC8G (Support Thread)

Ok, you guys have to think I'm an idiot by now... I swear I've never ran into this many difficulties before. So after having OMA's rom up and running, I also reflashed ShaunMT's rom using his update.img. I installed it via the notification that pops up after you transfer it to the tablet. Everything went fine until first reboot, and it just freezes at the bearded android with a pipe screen and hangs. I've also tried flashing by pushing with RKAndroidtools. It also installs fine but freezes as above. I think I #$%#@ my bootloader when I originally screwed it up. I retried the whole process by reflashing OMA's firmware. OMA's firmware flashes fine and is usable as before, but ShaunMT's update.img still hangs at splash screen. Thoughts?
            Ot seems to me that /data, /cache and /sdcard all need to be wiped when changing the parameter file...

The stock update doesnt wipe correctly... and neither does mine... im teying to fix this in the next version....

In the meantime, if you bootloop (stuck on splash screen or boot animation) or get encrypted android login screen.... reboot to recovery by holding volume up and power then wipe data and cache.... if your data or sdcard size is wrong after booted into android do a factory reset with sdcard erase from android settings....

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
            Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

I have wiped cache and wiped data/factory reset and still bootloops.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Re: ShaunMT's Modified ROM for Nextbook NX785QC8G (Support Thread)

I have wiped cache and wiped data/factory reset and still bootloops.

im out of ideas then... I havent flashed omas rom...

Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Fixed!

Originally posted by shaunmt View Post
                  im out of ideas then... I havent flashed omas rom...

I finally got it. I had to extract everything from ShaunMt's update.img file and use RKAndroidtool to flash the files individually. Once I did that I had ShaunMt's rom and no more bootloop.

I was able to then use arctools to flash OMA's CWM recovery and use that and made a backup to external SD. Next I reflashed OMA's rom via RKAndroidtools like orlandoamg360 has done and then used arctools once again to flash CWM recovery. In CWM recovery I installed the backup made earlier, and voila! I have ShaunMt's excellent rooted rom running on OMA's 2GB partition.

I have since learned not to tick the loader in RKAndroidtools... lol

Much thanks to ShaunMt and orlandoamg360 for their hard work and advice! Can't wait to unlock this tablets further potential!

Jeff

Comment

I finally got it. I had to extract everything from ShaunMt's update.img file and use RKAndroidtool to flash the files individually. Once I did that I had ShaunMt's rom and no more bootloop.

I was able to then use arctools to flash OMA's CWM recovery and use that and made a backup to external SD. Next I reflashed OMA's rom via RKAndroidtools like orlandoamg360 has done and then used arctools once again to flash CWM recovery. In CWM recovery I installed the backup made earlier, and voila! I have ShaunMt's excellent rooted rom running on OMA's 2GB partition.

I have since learned not to tick the loader in RKAndroidtools... lol

Much thanks to ShaunMt and orlandoamg360 for their hard work and advice! Can't wait to unlock this tablets further potential!

Jeff
                    Glad you finally got it up and running! Now join the club!

Comment

Still working on /data size changes

Hey guys... I'm still working on patches for new /data sizes... I want them to install without having to manually wipe or reboot...

My cable internet service is currently out, so I won't be able to upload anything until it gets fixed...

ShaunMT
                      Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Hey guys... I'm still working on patches for new /data sizes... I want them to install without having to manually wipe or reboot...

My cable internet service is currently out, so I won't be able to upload anything until it gets fixed...

ShaunMT
                        So how is it going? Is it done, and just waiting to be uploaded or does some work still need to be done?

Comment

I just wanted to report that with the larger 2GB partition this tablet is a 100% improvement over stock. Already I have 1.59GB in apps installed with 309MB free. After moving apps to SD I now have 1.34GB installed and 663MB free and it is running like a champ. The patches will only make this tablet better!

Comment

Originally posted by B-Man View Post
                            So how is it going? Is it done, and just waiting to be uploaded or does some work still need to be done?
                            No all of my test last night still failed.

At present, it requires flashing the ROM, then rebooting into recovery, doing a factory reset or wiping data and cache, then booting into Android and doing a factory reset with erase SD card checked.

I've tried the stock update scripts and Oma's update scripts and neither seem to work correctly. I think I'm going to have to look at the rockchip SDK to determine what the update process expects to find in the script.

ShaunMT
                            Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

At present, it requires flashing the ROM, then rebooting into recovery, doing a factory reset or wiping data and cache, then booting into Android and doing a factory reset with erase SD card checked.

I've tried the stock update scripts and Oma's update scripts and neither seem to work correctly. I think I'm going to have to look at the rockchip SDK to determine what the update process expects to find in the script.

ShaunMT
                              We all appreciate the time and effort. Good things come to those who wait. Thanks and keep up the good work.

Comment

ShaunMT
                                After reviewing the source for a stock rockchip recovery, I think I found the problem. The update script from the official firmware doesn't include all of the necessary steps. The script from Oma's ROM is aborting with an error, which causes the recovery to revert to a "default" install process, which also lacks the necessary steps.

The error messages aren't very helpful... just a default error is returned regardless of the error type, but I'm pretty sure I know why and it should be a simple fix.

I probably won't have time to perform any further testing until after work though.

I also have to make a trip to the cable office today for a new modem and hopefully get my internet working again so I'll be able to upload when ready.

ShaunMT
                                Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Working...
                                X