Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ShaunMT's Modified ROM for Nextbook NX785QC8G (Support Thread)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hopefully all works out for you Shaun. The next step for me is to troubleshoot the 30% battery shutdown. I'm looking through the build.prop file but doubt I'll find the answer there. It is currently the only other thing that is bugging me about this tablet. Does anyone have any other ideas for this? Battery calibration apps don't fix it for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by AMMO View Post
      Hopefully all works out for you Shaun. The next step for me is to troubleshoot the 30% battery shutdown. I'm looking through the build.prop file but doubt I'll find the answer there. It is currently the only other thing that is bugging me about this tablet. Does anyone have any other ideas for this? Battery calibration apps don't fix it for me.

I believe the Nexus 7 had the exact same issue... based on my reading, it seems it was due to incorrect battery level reading/reporting by Android. It seems it needs to be fixed in Google's Android source code.

You might want to read up on the battery issues with the Nexus 7.

ShaunMT
      Freaktab Rom Developer

Subscribe To My Developer Thread For Updates On My Projects: ShaunMT

https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/..._donate_SM.gif

Comment

Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely check it out. I also asked for advice over on the thread at XDA.

Comment

ShaunMT, thanks for your ROM! Installed it ok nextbook, and play store its finally working right! 👍👍

Comment

Had any luck with the new build? I'm currently on oma's, and wanted to know if it were possible to use the current one after flashing oma's with the parameter file? Will it soft Brick it, or will it work?

Comment

Originally posted by infirno77 View Post
              Had any luck with the new build? I'm currently on oma's, and wanted to know if it were possible to use the current one after flashing oma's with the parameter file? Will it soft Brick it, or will it work?
              I've made a lot of progress over the last few days!

The good news, is I've finally figured out how the Rockchip style update-script is supposed to work!

The bad news, is that the Rockchip update-script process doesn't seem to work correctly or consistently.

I'm very near to finding a way to make the update (with a modified parameter file) work, without corrupting any of the partitions, bootlooping, or requiring multiple reboots to properly wipe and format the partitions for the new parameter file. If I don't it working soon, I'll just give up and write up instructions how to flash it, then workaround the problems caused by the stock recovery.

When I get around to working on TWRP again, I'll import and modify the Rockchip source code to make sure updates work correctly the way they should work.

Regarding your question about Oma's ROM, no you can't simply flash Oma's first and then flash mine. Mine will overwrite the changes made by Oma's and also cause the tablet to either bootloop or soft brick.

Properly changing the parameter file requires flashing the new parameter file first, patching a bootloader with the new partition locations, and then reflashing the patched bootloader and all of the partitions that were relocated due to the changes in the partition sizes. A few people have done this manually by unpacking the ROMs and flashing the parts one at a time via Rockchip PC flashing tools. I'm attempting to automate the process so I don't have to answer questions about the manual process.

ShaunMT
              Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Re: ShaunMT's Modified ROM for Nextbook NX785QC8G (Support Thread)

Originally posted by shaunmt View Post
                I've made a lot of progress over the last few days!

The good news, is I've finally figured out how the Rockchip style update-script is supposed to work!

The bad news, is that the Rockchip update-script process doesn't seem to work correctly or consistently.

I'm very near to finding a way to make the update (with a modified parameter file) work, without corrupting any of the partitions, bootlooping, or requiring multiple reboots to properly wipe and format the partitions for the new parameter file. If I don't it working soon, I'll just give up and write up instructions how to flash it, then workaround the problems caused by the stock recovery.

When I get around to working on TWRP again, I'll import and modify the Rockchip source code to make sure updates work correctly the way they should work.

Regarding your question about Oma's ROM, no you can't simply flash Oma's first and then flash mine. Mine will overwrite the changes made by Oma's and also cause the tablet to either bootloop or soft brick.

Properly changing the parameter file requires flashing the new parameter file first, patching a bootloader with the new partition locations, and then reflashing the patched bootloader and all of the partitions that were relocated due to the changes in the partition sizes. A few people have done this manually by unpacking the ROMs and flashing the parts one at a time via Rockchip PC flashing tools. I'm attempting to automate the process so I don't have to answer questions about the manual process.

ShaunMT
                Thanks for the reply. I look forward to the update!

Comment

thinking about doing trying to install this rom

But I want to know if there is a way to back up my wifes tablet firmware before I do this? I have never done something like this.

Comment

Originally posted by kyuketzu View Post
                    But I want to know if there is a way to back up my wifes tablet firmware before I do this? I have never done something like this.
                    Not currently... but you can always reinstall the stock firmware from the Nextbook website.

ShaunMT
                    Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Not currently... but you can always reinstall the stock firmware from the Nextbook website.

ShaunMT
                      So would you just download the firmware from the downloads page.

Comment

So would you just download the firmware from the downloads page.
                        yup
                        Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

reading all the post on here

I am kinda nervous on trying this cause I don't know how I go about installing this.

Comment

I am kinda nervous on trying this cause I don't know how I go about installing this.
                            It installs the exact same way as the official update from Nextbook...

Instructions can be found in the first post of this thread.

ShaunMT

P.S. It's so easy... someone who didn't read the instructions could probably manage to install it by accident.
                            Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Thanks

It installs the exact same way as the official update from Nextbook...

Instructions can be found in the first post of this thread.

ShaunMT

P.S. It's so easy... someone who didn't read the instructions could probably manage to install it by accident.
                              I will try this out when she is done playing her games on it even though it ticks her off at times.

Comment

I will try this out when she is done playing her games on it even though it ticks her off at times.
                                You may have to reset it after install... if you have any problems, check the FAQ in the second or third post.

ShaunMT
                                Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Working...
                                X