Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ShaunMT's Modified ROM for Nextbook NX785QC8G (Support Thread)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ShaunMT's Modified ROM for Nextbook NX785QC8G (Support Thread)

Description:

This is a modified ROM based on the official KK 4.4.2 update for the Nextbook NX785QC8G.

Modifications:
    • Root Enabled with Su and SuperSu.apk
    • Root ADB access Enabled
    • Both ADB and Mass_Storage Modes Enabled
    • Init.d Boot Scripting Support Enabled
    • Minimal Debloat (You've got root access... feel free to remove whatever else you like.)
    • Freaktab / ShaunMT Splashscreen

Please make sure you download the correct ROM for your device!

These files will be named in the format: SMT-"model"-"board"-"Android_Version"-"stock_build_date"-"optional_info".zip

Verify
    model and board in your stock build.prop before downloading: ro.product.model and ro.product.board

You can also check boardin ro.build.product, ro.build.description or ro.build.fingerprint

These ROMs are believed to work on all matching model and boards, unless noted otherwise. Install at your own risk...

Installation:

There are two formats available:

RKIMAGE Format (A Modified Version of The Full Official KK 4.4.2 Update):

Download:
    (See Download Thread...)

Unzip and remove update.img file...

There are 3 possible ways to install:

Option 1: Put the update.img on your external SD card, boot into stock recovery, choose update rkimage from external storage, wait...

Option 2: Put the update.img on your external SD card, boot into android, choose yes when prompted to install update.img

Option 3: Flash from PC using one of the many rkflash tools (you'll have to look elsewhere for flash tools and instructions... check the forums here at Freaktab)

After install... I strongly advise doing a factory reset and recommend erasing internal SD card also.

Also, don't leave the update.img on your external SD card, because you'll be constantly prompted to install it over and over again...

UPDATE.ZIP Format (Same as the RKIMAGE Format, but flashable in TWRP and Only Includes the Modified Boot and System partitions.)

Download:
    (See Download Thread...)

NOTE: The update.zip version requires approximately 4GB of space on your external SD Card, Nearly 2GB for the udpate.zip file and nearly 2GB during installation to extract the files before flashing.

Download Thread:

ShaunMT
    Last edited by shaunmt; 12-03-2014, 09:08. Reason: Added TWRP Flashable Update.Zip
    Freaktab Rom Developer

Subscribe To My Developer Thread For Updates On My Projects: ShaunMT

https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/..._donate_SM.gif

FAQ's

Q: "Something" doesn't work, etc...
    A: First... Factory reset, wipe data, wipe cache, re-install...
    Next... See Answers below...
    Last... Post a response asking for help...

Q: Internal SD Card doesn't mount after installing.
    A: This is a known issue with the official update. Fix by doing a Factory Reset with Erase SD Card checked in Android Settings.

Q: I updated from 4.2.2 to 4.4.2 and lost Multi-user?
    A: Yep... the official 4.4.2 update from Nextbook doesn't have Multi-user support for some reason... use Xposed Framework to re-enable multi-user... Google it...

Q: Can you make /Data bigger for more Apps / Use External SD Card for Apps?
    A: See the next post below...

Q: Battery Problems... (Won't turn on/charge... charges slowly... battery level reported incorrectly / shuts down without warning... etc...)
    A: First, make sure you are using the charger that came with the tablet.
    Second, factory reset / wipe data & cache.
    Third, open the tablet and verify the battery is plugged in completely and firmly.

Q: I tried to flash the TWRP update.zip version, but the installation aborted early with an error message.
    A: You most likely ran out of space on your external SD card and it couldn't extract the ROM from the zip file... Make sure you have the update.zip on your external sd card with at least 2GB of space remaining and try again.

ShaunMT
    Last edited by shaunmt; 12-03-2014, 09:00. Reason: Added Batter Q/A
    Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

What's Coming...

Patches to change the size of /Data and /SDCard will be released later pending testing...

Patches to change the mount points of the internal and external SD card will be released later, pending testing...

TWRP Recovery will be released later, pending testing...

ShaunMT
      Last edited by shaunmt; 08-19-2014, 03:36.
      Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Thanks to the following Freaktab members for pre-release testing!

Thanks to the following Freaktab members for their assistance in pre-release testing this ROM:
        • mel4787
        • wiseman9871
        • B-Man
        • PerfectPitch

ShaunMT
        Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Been testing all day and I've had no new issues, only that issue last night where it rebooted instead of shut down the first time I tried to shut down after the ROM flash and factory reset. All apps and Xposed modules that worked before, still work. Battery issue still exists.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Man View Post
            Been testing all day and I've no new issues, only that issue last night where it rebooted instead of shut down the first time I tried to shut down after the ROM flash and factory reset. All apps and Xposed modules that worked before, still work. Battery issue still exists as well.
            Thanks for the feedback!

Still no ideas what might have caused your single shutdown issue... let's hope it doesn't reoccur...

Xposed has always worked well on all of my various Nextbook models. I'd really like to find the time to write up some reviews on modules I like for these tablets.... but it isn't likely to happen anytime soon.

I'm sorry to hear about the battery issue... I still haven't drained mine down far enough to determine if I still have the problem... but I'm afraid this is a Google source code issue, that would be beyond my skill to attempt fixing, even if I had access to Nextbook's source code for this device...

ShaunMT
            Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Awesome work Shaun. I'm so glad to have root back.
              Thanks for the feedback and see my comments below...

When updating from the stock 4.4.2 I did not run into the nand not mounting issue. I'm pretty sure there is a small difference in the partition layout between 4.2.2 and 4.4.2 that causes this problem.
              I suspected the same...

So it will also be noted later when you make different size partition layouts available to us I think. Everything is smooth and great.
              In my experience so far... when I flash a new parameter file (which defines the size and location of the NAND partitions) everything mounts as usual on reboot... however the new Parameter file doesn't seem to be applied until I do a factory reset AND erase the internal SD card...

I did notice one small error in the build prop.

gps.enable, gps.enable=true
              Thanks for pointing this out... this would be a typo in one my scripts...

the correct line should be "gps.enable-true" (This shouldn't do anything but hopefully enable external usb GPS dongles)

It could be corrected with a build.prop editor, but I'll post an updated ROM copy later...

And there seems to be a second copy of build prop in system labeled build.prop~.
              That would be an automated backup file created whenever a document is edited in ubuntu... it's harmless but I'll delete it when I update the ROM...

Not complaining, just trying to help. Again great job. Thank you so much for all your time and hard work.
              Thanks again for the feedback!

ShaunMT

Comment

After installing your ROM, I installed OMA's cwm recovery 6.0.3.1 using the rkandroid tool provided by his custom ROM zip package. Installed fine and everything works correctly. I then proceeded to make a nandroid backup of your ROM. I then flashed his custom ROM again because his ROM has a 2GB data partition. Afterwards, I restored the nandroid backup of your ROM via cwm. And voilà. I am now running your custom ROM with a 2GB data partition and 4.50GB internal sd partition. Think of it as a temporary solution until you are able to release your patch/tweaks. Best of both worlds if you ask me. By the way, thanks for all the hard work you put into this ROM. Everything is running fine, smooth and fast. Really appreciate it. Now this fully unleashed tablet is something special!

Comment

Originally posted by orlandoamg360 View Post
                  After installing your ROM, I installed OMA's cwm recovery 6.0.3.1 using the rkandroid tool provided by his custom ROM zip package. Installed fine and everything works correctly. I then proceeded to make a nandroid backup of your ROM. I then flashed his custom ROM again because his ROM has a 2GB data partition. Afterwards, I restored the nandroid backup of your ROM via cwm. And voilà. I am now running your custom ROM with a 2GB data partition and 4.50GB internal sd partition. Think of it as a temporary solution until you are able to release your patch/tweaks. Best of both worlds if you ask me. By the way, thanks for all the hard work you put into this ROM. Everything is running fine, smooth and fast. Really appreciate it. Now this fully unleashed tablet is something special!
                  I like it. I might end up doing this if the patches take a while. 1GB is just tiny, not sure what any company would chose 1GB. You can only put a handful of apps on 1GB. Anyway I hope the patches come soon.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Man View Post
                    I like it. I might end up doing this if the patches take a while. 1GB is just tiny, not sure what any company would chose 1GB. You can only put a handful of apps on 1GB. Anyway I hope the patches come soon.
                    No promises... but I'll try to work on some tonight... I don't expect them to take long... just need to determine the easiest way to package them for the greatest number of users...

I'd rather not have to repack multiple full ROM versions if I can avoid it, but I don't want to help new users with rkflash tools either... it just isn't worth my limited time...

Hoping to find a happy medium with a small patch that can be installed by either stock recovery or the rkflash tools...

ShaunMT
                    Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Update went smoothly, then did a master reset , I se supersu.... Ill get into it this evening and see whats what.

thanks much

Comment

Originally posted by orlandoamg360 View Post
                        Yeah, I did this with my tablet just recently, and I love that I have more app space for now. Hopefully Shaun's patches will deem this workaround unnecessary in the near future. Now to install xposed and some modules for it.
                        NEXTBOOK NX700QC16G Rooted with updated firmware to allow 13GB App Space

Comment

Originally posted by shaunmt View Post
                          No promises... but I'll try to work on some tonight... I don't expect them to take long... just need to determine the easiest way to package them for the greatest number of users...

I'd rather not have to repack multiple full ROM versions if I can avoid it, but I don't want to help new users with rkflash tools either... it just isn't worth my limited time...

Hoping to find a happy medium with a small patch that can be installed by either stock recovery or the rkflash tools...

ShaunMT
                          My last tablet was a N70HD and I used Andronoob's custom ROM. The N70HD was a Rockchip tablet, RK3066 tho. Anyway his ROM came with a 2GB partition and patches to make it 1.5GB, 2.5GB, or 3GB. You just had to download the Zip to a PC, unzip it, click on the patch you wanted, and it would automatically compile a new ROM from the info in the 2GB ROM as long as it is in the same folder as the patch when you run it. Not sure if his ROM can help you at all with the patches, but here is the link if you want to check it out.

Comment

Has anyone gotten multi user to work? It worked just fine in 4.2.2 after adding the build prop line and i see it should be enabled in this one but I'm not getting it to show in options. Should i just use xposed or am i missing something?

Comment

I dont want to take the thread off topic but im wondering If anyone can provide a link perhaps of how to take advantage of the rooted tablet with regard to

being able to delete the bloatware
                              using super su
                              adding an alternate app store

Comment

Working...
                              X