Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ShaunMT's Modified ROM for Nextbook NX785QC8G (Support Thread)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EagleEye View Post
    Installed and everything is working 100% correctly. Is there a method or way that works on this tablet where I can install or move apps to the External SD card? Thanks in Advance.

Edit: Just read a post on the previous page where you responded in regards to moving apps to the "External SD". I personally have tried a few different tools / methods that I found via google, however I did not have any success.

I've never personally tried moving apps to external. Personally, I've just never found the need. But, if you wanted to do it, the best way would probably be to swap the mount points between the internal and external cards. This could be done inside the ROM, or it could be done at boot time via an init.rd script. Doing it via an init.rd script would probably be the easiest and safest way. I think there are even some play store apps that can swap them at boot time, so you don't have to write the script.
    Freaktab Rom Developer

Subscribe To My Developer Thread For Updates On My Projects: ShaunMT

https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/..._donate_SM.gif

Comment

Sorry to open this all back up again but new here. I have the NX785QC8G-r Nextbook. I downloaded your image from the first page. Flashed the tablet successfully but I may have missed something somewhere as I still only have a 1 gig internal partition and seem to still be unable to move anything to the internal NAND partition or the external SD Card. Nextbook's customer service pointed me to their download page and the process would not work at all - XP, Win 7 or Win 10 - could not get anything to work from their instructions. Your file I loaded to the external SD card and rebooted - installed fine but I need to clear that partition problem for this to be a useful device. I am once again having to disable many of the built in apps just to update the core services and it also seems the mod had produced a conflict with the one game I had been using this tablet for - Knights and Dragons - it not says the device is not compatible with this version and I was playing it prior to all this. So what did I do wrong or have I misunderstood the whole point of all this?

​EDIT: Found the updated partition links and installed the required recovery - at least it wasn't the stock one. Saved the zip for the 4GB partition and it failed. rebooted, retried and failed again. Too tired now to go back for a third try or read the rest of the pages from 24 to here and frustrated to the point of using this thing for target practice! Not very knowledgeable with Android so that's a big part of it - type slowly and use the baby terms and I might be able to get it.
      Last edited by kleib; 02-26-2016, 10:02.

Comment

Originally posted by kleib View Post
        Sorry to open this all back up again but new here. I have the NX785QC8G-r Nextbook. I downloaded your image from the first page. Flashed the tablet successfully but I may have missed something somewhere as I still only have a 1 gig internal partition and seem to still be unable to move anything to the internal NAND partition or the external SD Card. Nextbook's customer service pointed me to their download page and the process would not work at all - XP, Win 7 or Win 10 - could not get anything to work from their instructions. Your file I loaded to the external SD card and rebooted - installed fine but I need to clear that partition problem for this to be a useful device. I am once again having to disable many of the built in apps just to update the core services and it also seems the mod had produced a conflict with the one game I had been using this tablet for - Knights and Dragons - it not says the device is not compatible with this version and I was playing it prior to all this. So what did I do wrong or have I misunderstood the whole point of all this?

​EDIT: Found the updated partition links and installed the required recovery - at least it wasn't the stock one. Saved the zip for the 4GB partition and it failed. rebooted, retried and failed again. Too tired now to go back for a third try or read the rest of the pages from 24 to here and frustrated to the point of using this thing for target practice! Not very knowledgeable with Android so that's a big part of it - type slowly and use the baby terms and I might be able to get it.
        If you have TWRP installed and working, you need to flash one of the parameter patches, found here http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...111#post255111, then you need to reflash the ROM. For best results, boot into TWRP, click the wipe tab, then click the advanced wipe tab, now at this screen click all boxes EXCEPT, I repeat, EXCEPT the extsd box, then swipe to wipe, next back out to main screen and hit the reboot button and choose the reboot into recovery option, don't worry about installing SuperSU here just yet. After reboot hit install and install the parameter patch of your liking. After that's done working its magic you can flash Shaun's modified ROM. If the tab hangs on the nextbook logo for too long you will have to reflash the ROM. Don't worry, I've had to flash the ROM more than once myself a few times. After ROM successfully boots, do a factory data reset right away. And make sure your SD card has enough space for the parameter patch to work it's magic. You can find the size sdcard needed in the link I provided. Good luck, and if you have any other questions, please be more specific on what you are doing and what you have done already. Makes it easier for us to help you out.

Comment

Originally posted by zMILWAUKEE View Post
          If you have TWRP installed and working, you need to flash one of the parameter patches, found here http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...111#post255111, then you need to reflash the ROM. For best results, boot into TWRP, click the wipe tab, then click the advanced wipe tab, now at this screen click all boxes EXCEPT, I repeat, EXCEPT the extsd box, then swipe to wipe, next back out to main screen and hit the reboot button and choose the reboot into recovery option, don't worry about installing SuperSU here just yet. After reboot hit install and install the parameter patch of your liking. After that's done working its magic you can flash Shaun's modified ROM. If the tab hangs on the nextbook logo for too long you will have to reflash the ROM. Don't worry, I've had to flash the ROM more than once myself a few times. After ROM successfully boots, do a factory data reset right away. And make sure your SD card has enough space for the parameter patch to work it's magic. You can find the size sdcard needed in the link I provided. Good luck, and if you have any other questions, please be more specific on what you are doing and what you have done already. Makes it easier for us to help you out.
          zMILWAUKEE is correct. His instructions should resolve the issue.
          Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Hey ShaunMT, I'm fairly new to the tablet fix-it world, but I could use some help. I have tons of experience with computers, but can't figure out tablets to save my life. My husband and I bought a Nextbook 8 NX785QC8G for our 13 year old last summer, and he started having lots of problems with the darned thing. I knew enough to be able to reset the tablet, but beyond that, I was and still am clueless. I recently went to him and asked if I could play on the tablet, and he just looked at me stating that I could have the thing if I could get it working. So I started out by going to the manufacturers site... Nada. They dont list anything for anything older than the Nextbook 8 Ares. So I started googling Roms for it, and ended up here. I downloaded your Rom, put it on the SD Card, and managed to get it installed. Had a few issues, factory reset it, and got it up and running again, but the darned thing is so super slow, and the connection keeps timing out in Google Play. I have not done anything with TWRP, it doesn't make any sense in my head. So if you could help me (and I sincerely apologize for this) by listing some things step by step, I might just get this right and be able to to get my son's tablet back to him. I read through about 80% of this thread, and because it's so fragmented (my way of describing it), I can't make heads or tails of all the information here.

The other cheap tablets we bought for the younger kids work better than this stupid thing...

Comment

Originally posted by SourSkittle80 View Post
              Hey ShaunMT, I'm fairly new to the tablet fix-it world, but I could use some help. I have tons of experience with computers, but can't figure out tablets to save my life. My husband and I bought a Nextbook 8 NX785QC8G for our 13 year old last summer, and he started having lots of problems with the darned thing. I knew enough to be able to reset the tablet, but beyond that, I was and still am clueless. I recently went to him and asked if I could play on the tablet, and he just looked at me stating that I could have the thing if I could get it working. So I started out by going to the manufacturers site... Nada. They dont list anything for anything older than the Nextbook 8 Ares. So I started googling Roms for it, and ended up here. I downloaded your Rom, put it on the SD Card, and managed to get it installed. Had a few issues, factory reset it, and got it up and running again, but the darned thing is so super slow, and the connection keeps timing out in Google Play. I have not done anything with TWRP, it doesn't make any sense in my head. So if you could help me (and I sincerely apologize for this) by listing some things step by step, I might just get this right and be able to to get my son's tablet back to him. I read through about 80% of this thread, and because it's so fragmented (my way of describing it), I can't make heads or tails of all the information here.

The other cheap tablets we bought for the younger kids work better than this stupid thing...

Sorry to say it, but your description of the current condition of the tablet sounds fairly normal. Mine always had a slow and weak WIFI signal. Also, in my experience, the Google Play store is always slow compared to any other type of network activity on any device (including my Samsung Galaxy S5). These budget tablets also tend to suffer from premature hardware failure due to cheap parts and overheating.

It sounds to me like like you've already done everything I could suggest. You've got the ROM installled, you are booting successfully, and you've already tried a factory reset. I can't think of anything else that might improve performance.

Welcome to the forums and feel free to post any specific questions you may have. Our members are pretty good at answering if we've experienced similar issues.
              Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Originally posted by shaunmt View Post

Sorry to say it, but your description of the current condition of the tablet sounds fairly normal. Mine always had a slow and weak WIFI signal. Also, in my experience, the Google Play store is always slow compared to any other type of network activity on any device (including my Samsung Galaxy S5). These budget tablets also tend to suffer from premature hardware failure due to cheap parts and overheating.

It sounds to me like like you've already done everything I could suggest. You've got the ROM installled, you are booting successfully, and you've already tried a factory reset. I can't think of anything else that might improve performance.

Welcome to the forums and feel free to post any specific questions you may have. Our members are pretty good at answering if we've experienced similar issues.

Ok, Thanks for the reply. The kid knew I had worked on it yesterday, and started playing with it after I left for school. I'm going to have to check the battery connection (It shut off on him once, battery fully charged), and I'm guessing the reset he had to do because of that got everything working better. He's excited to have a working tablet again.

All of the thanks go to you though, for helping us out with the ROM for it! Thank you for taking the time to get this working for those of us who just happened to be unaware that they bought a piece of crap tablet.

Comment

hi shaunmt so I have a question I followed your instructions and was able to flash your rom and apply a patch to one of my daughters tablet but for the other one I'm stuck I did a android upgrade to your rom and then went to do the stock recovery install of twrp. twrp opened up so I went to do the wipe like it says on post 558 and 559 after the wipe the tablet re started but now it only shows the twrp logo turns off and it goes to your roms cover u know where it says freaktab.com on top left has the you android on center and rom by shaunmt @ freaktab.com at bottom and it only sits there it powers off if I push and hold power button if I just push power it goes straight to your screen if I try to do the recovery it shows nextbook screen then teamwin logo then jumps to your screen and sits there. am I bricked? what can I do? I tried downloading the official firmware to see if I could flash the original firmware and start over but thee drivers folder says its corrupted when I try to unzip it (I downloaded It several times kust to be sure) so I cant really install drivers I did follow the rest of the instructions but nothing happened I'm guessing cuz the computer doesn't recognizes the tablet what can I do? thanks ahead of time for the room all the work you put into this and for the technical support you offer

Comment

The bad news... is yes it sounds like you are currently bricked...

The better news... it is fairly impossible to permanently brick these tablets. It should still be possible to restore the device from its current condition.

The worse news... it won't be easy and I can't provide instructions. It will require using one of the various rkflash utilities to reflash the device using a computer. You should be able to find rkflash tools and information about using it both here at FreakTab and elsewhere online. Any questions regarding the use of rkflash would be best directed at forum threads about rkflash.
                    Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Perfect thank you I will head that way

Comment

Hi Shaun.
                        when I run Build.Prop.Editor on my Nx758qc8g, all my "ro.build" lines start with EBM865FD, NOT the NXM865FD shown in your listing
                        Is this driver still OK ?

Regards Ron

Comment

Hi shaunmt how do i download your image, it says forbidden when i click on download link oh so how do i Verify model and etc i never flash my tablet before tell now am sick of not being able use some apps.

Comment

I'm getting the same thing. Just forbidden

Comment

Just found this site, and have spent hours reading through learning about how to breathe new life into my daughter's NextBook 8, only to have my hopes dashed by not being able to download the files from the Download Forum. I, too, am getting redirected to freak-tab.de and get "ERROR 403 - Forbidden!"

Does anyone know if these files are hosted anywhere else?

Thanks in advance!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X