X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with nextbook nx868qw8g

Hello everybody,
    want to ask your advice in re: following issue:
    I am going to use nextbook NX868QW8G tablet as an embedded advertisement solution ie it should start when external power gets plugged in. I can't find a normal tech desc of this model in the internet even on the official site.

It have almost the same look&hardware as NX785QC8G availabe at wallmart but have slightly another cpu mtk8382 and embedded 3g modem which was the decisive factor since we need tablets to be updated remotely.

The main issue seems to be the fact it has no bootloader interface ie when I run adb reboot-bootloader it reboots and the screen becomes just black. fastboot is able to see it but commands like 'fastboot oem unlock' produce just "..." in the command shell. It stays in that mode regarless of the buttons pressed. I understand it waits for the input but due to the lack of interface it just cant get my input.

MTK tools displays 'unknown' for bootloader.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	device-2014-09-09-144934.png
Views:	1
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	439506

I need an advice from experienced people - is it possible to fix bootloader somehow - ie. update/write new one...etc?

Best regards,
    Max

Originally posted by maximspirin View Post
    Hello everybody,
    want to ask your advice in re: following issue:
    I am going to use nextbook NX868QW8G tablet as an embedded advertisement solution ie it should start when external power gets plugged in. I can't find a normal tech desc of this model in the internet even on the official site.

It have almost the same look&hardware as NX785QC8G availabe at wallmart but have slightly another cpu mtk8382 and embedded 3g modem which was the decisive factor since we need tablets to be updated remotely.

The main issue seems to be the fact it has no bootloader interface ie when I run adb reboot-bootloader it reboots and the screen becomes just black. fastboot is able to see it but commands like 'fastboot oem unlock' produce just "..." in the command shell. It stays in that mode regarless of the buttons pressed. I understand it waits for the input but due to the lack of interface it just cant get my input.

MTK tools displays 'unknown' for bootloader.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]7884[/ATTACH]

I need an advice from experienced people - is it possible to fix bootloader somehow - ie. update/write new one...etc?

Best regards,
    Max

Hi.

I'm usually the Nextbook guy around here, but this is the first I've heard of this model and all of the previous models used either Amlogic or Rockchip boards. They were also all WiFi only.

I am afraid I can't answer any of your questions about your MTK processor device. I'm not sure if we even have anyone with MTK experience around here?

ShaunMT
    Freaktab Rom Developer

Subscribe To My Developer Thread For Updates On My Projects: ShaunMT

https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/..._donate_SM.gif

Comment

Hi ShaunMT,
      I am not very good in android architecture so one of my questions isnt directly related with cpu - is it possible to fix/update/rewrite..etc bootloader in order to make it at least visible?

Originally posted by shaunmt View Post
      Hi.

I'm usually the Nextbook guy around here, but this is the first I've heard of this model and all of the previous models used either Amlogic or Rockchip boards. They were also all WiFi only.

I am afraid I can't answer any of your questions about your MTK processor device. I'm not sure if we even have anyone with MTK experience around here?

ShaunMT

Comment

Originally posted by maximspirin View Post
        Hi ShaunMT,
        I am not very good in android architecture so one of my questions isnt directly related with cpu - is it possible to fix/update/rewrite..etc bootloader in order to make it at least visible?
        I should think so, but I don't have any idea how MTK's Android implementation works.

I would guess that the bootloader is only writable from recovery mode. The exact method of writing the bootloader can vary.

Also, it sounds like it might be fair to warn you that most devices can only install official update packages from the manufacturer via recovery mode. Android updates are signed with a security key that is validated by the recovery software. If you don't have the manufacturer's private security key, you can't create and sign your own Android updates.

The only alternative is to root the device and create a custom recovery like CWM or TWRP, which doesn't perform any signature verifcation on update files. I'm not sure if OTA updates work with CWM or TWRP recovery.

If you are wanting to do OTA updates, you'll need to modify the system to check your OTA update server instead of the manufacturer's OTA update server. Also, I don't think you can force OTA updates. I believe they have to be accepted by a user.

ShaunMT
        Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Originally posted by shaunmt View Post
          I should think so, but I don't have any idea how MTK's Android implementation works.

I would guess that the bootloader is only writable from recovery mode. The exact method of writing the bootloader can vary.

Also, it sounds like it might be fair to warn you that most devices can only install official update packages from the manufacturer via recovery mode. Android updates are signed with a security key that is validated by the recovery software. If you don't have the manufacturer's private security key, you can't create and sign your own Android updates.

The only alternative is to root the device and create a custom recovery like CWM or TWRP, which doesn't perform any signature verifcation on update files. I'm not sure if OTA updates work with CWM or TWRP recovery.

If you are wanting to do OTA updates, you'll need to modify the system to check your OTA update server instead of the manufacturer's OTA update server. Also, I don't think you can force OTA updates. I believe they have to be accepted by a user.

ShaunMT

Thanks for the info. Actually I am not familiar with the terms you are operating like CWM or TWRP but I appreciate your input. Can you please instruct me through skype and I can pay for your time through paypal or somehow else.
          Relly need an android expert. I am in quite difficult situation since current model costs ~114 usd locally and other brands with the same hardware are much more expesive. Do you know any other way to enabling auto boot on external power plug in other than running fastboot oem off-mode-charge 0 command?
          Thanks,
          Max

Comment

Thanks for the info. Actually I am not familiar with the terms you are operating like CWM or TWRP but I appreciate your input.
            CWM (ClockWorkMod) and TWRP (Team Win Recovery Project) are popular third party, open source, alternative recovery programs for Android.

Can you please instruct me through skype and I can pay for your time through paypal or somehow else.
            Relly need an android expert. I am in quite difficult situation since current model costs ~114 usd locally and other brands with the same hardware are much more expesive.
            I'm sorry, but I don't have the knowledge of MTK hardware that would be required in order to provide the instruction that you are requesting.

Do you know any other way to enabling auto boot on external power plug in other than running fastboot oem off-mode-charge 0 command?
            Thanks,
            Max

No, I'm sorry, I do not know.

ShaunMT
            Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Working...
            X