should I buy Nextbook 8.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

should I buy Nextbook 8.1

Was debating if I should purchuse this devic is it any good?

Originally posted by bgog97522 View Post
    Was debating if I should purchuse this devic is it any good?
    Nextbook has made, currently makes, and most likely will continue to make a wide variety of devices with identical names...

Can you provide either a better description or even better a link to the product?

That said... In my opinion, Nextbook makes pretty decent budget tablets for the relatively low prices, however they provide almost no support at all...

I own several models, support quite a few of them, and have more models on my list of things to work on...

ShaunMT
    Freaktab Rom Developer

Subscribe To My Developer Thread For Updates On My Projects: ShaunMT

https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/..._donate_SM.gif

Comment

ShaunMT, I'm pretty sure the OP is referring to the new Nextbook Windows 8.1 tablet that WalMart has begun selling (at least online).

OP, if this is the case, then read on:

As near as I can tell, all of the Windows tablets that have come out recently in the $99-150 price range are based on the same Intel reference design: a quad core Intel Atom 3735 chipset with integrated Intel graphics, WiFi, Bluetooth, and no GPS and no hdmi, usually; 1gb of ram, and 16/32 GB flash storage with an sdcard slot for additional storage. Usually the devices have a 1280x800 touchscreen, but sometimes they have a smaller resolution than that.

I own a slightly higher-spec version of that reference design, the Dell Venue Pro 8. It handles Windows amazingly well, and I can assure anyone reading this that the quad core Atom chipset provides both good performance and great battery life.

I have two main concerns about the new devices based on Intel's new design, and the first is that these devices only have 1gb of RAM. My 2gb dell tablet runs well enough, but I'm skeptical that you'll get the same experience from 1gb. I could be wrong, though. The second is that even the brand name Windows tablets have build quality issues, so your mileage with a Chinese knockoff brand may vary widely.

If you're in the market for a super-cheap Windows tablet, the Microsoft Store is selling an HP model online for $99 at this very moment. If anything goes wrong with it, you'll have no issue getting a replacement or a repair.

Having said all of that, I'm writing this response on my Nextbook 8 Android tablet, which is of surprisingly good build quality. It's by far the best "cheap" Android I've owned, and I've owned a few. You could do a lot worse than the Nextbook brand.

Comment

Originally posted by nalf38 View Post
        ShaunMT, I'm pretty sure the OP is referring to the new Nextbook Windows 8.1 tablet that WalMart has begun selling (at least online).

OP, if this is the case, then read on:

As near as I can tell, all of the Windows tablets that have come out recently in the $99-150 price range are based on the same Intel reference design: a quad core Intel Atom 3735 chipset with integrated Intel graphics, WiFi, Bluetooth, and no GPS and no hdmi, usually; 1gb of ram, and 16/32 GB flash storage with an sdcard slot for additional storage. Usually the devices have a 1280x800 touchscreen, but sometimes they have a smaller resolution than that.

I own a slightly higher-spec version of that reference design, the Dell Venue Pro 8. It handles Windows amazingly well, and I can assure anyone reading this that the quad core Atom chipset provides both good performance and great battery life.

I have two main concerns about the new devices based on Intel's new design, and the first is that these devices only have 1gb of RAM. My 2gb dell tablet runs well enough, but I'm skeptical that you'll get the same experience from 1gb. I could be wrong, though. The second is that even the brand name Windows tablets have build quality issues, so your mileage with a Chinese knockoff brand may vary widely.

If you're in the market for a super-cheap Windows tablet, the Microsoft Store is selling an HP model online for $99 at this very moment. If anything goes wrong with it, you'll have no issue getting a replacement or a repair.

Having said all of that, I'm writing this response on my Nextbook 8 Android tablet, which is of surprisingly good build quality. It's by far the best "cheap" Android I've owned, and I've owned a few. You could do a lot worse than the Nextbook brand.
        I think you are probably correct about the OP referring to the new windows Nextbook. I had not yet seen it, or any of the other new budget windows tablets when I posted my previous response.

Nice post regarding your opinions of your windows tab, comparable models, and Nextbook devices!

ShaunMT
        Freaktab Rom Developer

Subscribe To My Developer Thread For Updates On My Projects: ShaunMT

https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/..._donate_SM.gif

Comment

Working...
        X