Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ShaunMT's TWRP Recovery For The Nextbook NX785QC8G-NXM865FD_WMDE (Support Thread)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stonedace View Post
    Is there a way to make the 1g storage bigger?
    The parameter patch files are for changing the partition sizes. The work by decreasing the "internal sd card" partition size to increase the "data" partition size. The "system" and "cache" partitions have to be moved to make room for a bigger "data" partition. The "data" and "internal sd card" partitions also have to be reformatted to their new sizes.

The patch installer only works in TWRP. The installer handles everything, it backs up the current system, changes the size settings, reboots, formats the new partitions and restores the system partition... but if anything goes wrong, like running out of space on the external sd card to back up the current system, or failing to restore the system partition, you will get the "no OS" error again...

If that happens, reflashing the .zip version of my ROM with TWRP should fix it.

ShaunMT
    Freaktab Rom Developer

Subscribe To My Developer Thread For Updates On My Projects: ShaunMT

https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/..._donate_SM.gif

Comment

Finally got it all installed. Thanks!

Hello,
      I picked up one of these after Christmas much like everyone else because of the features and low-price point. I was shocked about the partition size and went in search (Google) of an answer. Found your posts, read them several times and figured to give a try.
      I have been trying and un-trying for the last month and last night for some reason (don't ask me how!) I was able to get very thing installed and partitioned correctly.
      Now instead of that crap 1 gig partition for apps, I have 3.94 gig. I was able to install my most used apps from my previous 2 yr old tablet and even a couple new games and still have 2.58 available.
      I won't lie, it was a pain in my @$$ most of the time, not due to anything you did, I blame the Nextbook for being a P.O.S to start with, but it is better than the 10" RCA tablet I got that died after a week from just swiping the alarm clock off.
      Thanks again and keep up the good work!

Comment

Nextbook TWRP Recovery Not installing

Not sure what Im doing wrong can someone help me?

I had no problem installing the RKIMAGE.zip and that works fine but I cant get the TWRP to install at all

I download this below and have not been able to install it
        I download the
        Parameter-Patches and Recovery TWRP Below and put on my sd card as zip files as it says but cant get it to install either one, Ive tryed muliptle times with no luck what am I doing wrong? I attached some images of what its telling me below. Please help, This is my first time doing this. So please if some one can give me step by step direction would be appreciated, Thank you

From TWRP/CWM etc:

1. Verify compatibility as indicated above.
        2. Download this file:
        SMT-NX785QC8G-NXM865FD_WMDE-TWRP_Recovery.zip
        3. Put the unopened .zip file on your external SD card.
        4. Flash using TWRP/CWM recovery.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150319_105317.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	184.6 KB
ID:	437486Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150319_105300.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	177.4 KB
ID:	437485

Comment

Originally posted by slrodster View Post
          Not sure what Im doing wrong can someone help me?

I had no problem installing the RKIMAGE.zip and that works fine but I cant get the TWRP to install at all

I download this below and have not been able to install it
          I download the
          Parameter-Patches and Recovery TWRP Below and put on my sd card as zip files as it says but cant get it to install either one, Ive tryed muliptle times with no luck what am I doing wrong? I attached some images of what its telling me below. Please help, This is my first time doing this. So please if some one can give me step by step direction would be appreciated, Thank you

From TWRP/CWM etc:

2. Download this file:
          SMT-NX785QC8G-NXM865FD_WMDE-TWRP_Recovery.zip
          3. Put the unopened .zip file on your external SD card.
          4. Flash using TWRP/CWM recovery.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10886[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]10885[/ATTACH]
          If you are using stock recovery to install TWRP recovery for the first time, you have to install the rkimage version. Stock recovery will NOT install .zip files that were not created by Nextbook.

After TWRP is installed, it can be used to attempt installing any .zip file.
          Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Originally posted by shaunmt View Post
            If you are using stock recovery to install TWRP recovery for the first time, you have to install the rkimage version. Stock recovery will NOT install .zip files that were not created by Nextbook.

After TWRP is installed, it can be used to attempt installing any .zip file.

Where do I find the rkimage version? google search or download page?
            Figure I ask this question not just for me but for others as well, Thanks for your replay and building these Roms.

Comment

Where do I find the rkimage version? google search or download page?
              Figure I ask this question not just for me but for others as well, Thanks for your replay and building these Roms.
              It was on the download page...

Installation Options:

From stock recovery:
              2. Download this file:
              SMT-NX785QC8G-NXM865FD_WMDE-TWRP_rkimage.zip
              3. Unzip the file.
              4. Extract update.img
              5. Put update.img on external SD card
              6. Flash update.img using the install from rkimage feature in stock recovery.
              Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

It was on the download page...

Installation Options:

From stock recovery:
                2. Download this file:
                3. Unzip the file.
                4. Extract update.img

I have that already this rkiimage install but will do it again, and see what happens

Comment

I have that already this rkiimage install but will do it again, and see what happens
                  Something must have gone wrong then... that package should replace stock recovery with TWRP.
                  Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Same spot..

The parameter patch files are for changing the partition sizes. The work by decreasing the "internal sd card" partition size to increase the "data" partition size. The "system" and "cache" partitions have to be moved to make room for a bigger "data" partition. The "data" and "internal sd card" partitions also have to be reformatted to their new sizes.

The patch installer only works in TWRP. The installer handles everything, it backs up the current system, changes the size settings, reboots, formats the new partitions and restores the system partition... but if anything goes wrong, like running out of space on the external sd card to back up the current system, or failing to restore the system partition, you will get the "no OS" error again...

If that happens, reflashing the .zip version of my ROM with TWRP should fix it.

ShaunMT
                    ok ... registered just to fix this dang tablet. i flashed the TWRP, works great, love the touchscreen instead of stock volume button control. Flashed the 4 gig parameter partition and went to reboot.. got the no OS like everyone else. Im in the process of downloading the custom firmware i believe is what it is, and im going to try and flash it and see if it restores my os. at this point kinda lost myself. usually not too hard to fix tho. I have the Nextbook 8 nx785qc8g and installed the official 4.4.2 before all of this.. and help?

Comment

Originally posted by OoSRHo0 View Post
                      ok ... registered just to fix this dang tablet. i flashed the TWRP, works great, love the touchscreen instead of stock volume button control. Flashed the 4 gig parameter partition and went to reboot.. got the no OS like everyone else. Im in the process of downloading the custom firmware i believe is what it is, and im going to try and flash it and see if it restores my os. at this point kinda lost myself. usually not too hard to fix tho. I have the Nextbook 8 nx785qc8g and installed the official 4.4.2 before all of this.. and help?
                      The parameter patches change some of the partition sizes and move the others around to make room for the ones that changed. The installer is supposed to backup your current system and restore it to the new partition after the changes are completed, but it sounds like something went wrong with the restore.

Just flash the ROM and you should be fine. It will put a new system on the correct partition.

ShaunMT
                      Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Nextboook 8 Rockchip ish.. TWRP, Parameter Partition, Rom.. that order

The parameter patches change some of the partition sizes and move the others around to make room for the ones that changed. The installer is supposed to backup your current system and restore it to the new partition after the changes are completed, but it sounds like something went wrong with the restore.

Just flash the ROM and you should be fine. It will put a new system on the correct partition.

ShaunMT
                        Yea, sounds legit. I have a 7in. bricked or maybe softbricked, and a 10" Kocaso MID9200 that i rool and installed custom ish.. stopped charging tho.... .Sooo i have dont this once or twice, just been a while on the lingo. Great work tho Shaun, I love the partitioning thing. my old tablet ****ed up when i tried editing the, voldstab.XXXX, or whatever, to hard swap the internal and external memory. Mistake with no back up. Ok on to the Nextbook 8.. the TWRP recovery seems to be working fine.. should i use the options to repartion anything now or what to just install the custom rom with the built-in parameter partition options? ... Only problem im actually having towards fixing the tablet once i decide to read these forums is this slow ass Iphone hotspot internet i have in the country trying to download the ROM zips.
                        Glad these forums are current and active. Ill keep in touch to infor m you on the progress towards installing your custom firmware ,after official 4.4.2 update. Hope its everything i anticipate lol. Thanks bro.

Comment

Originally posted by OoSRHo0 View Post
                          Yea, sounds legit. I have a 7in. bricked or maybe softbricked, and a 10" Kocaso MID9200 that i rool and installed custom ish.. stopped charging tho.... .Sooo i have dont this once or twice, just been a while on the lingo. Great work tho Shaun, I love the partitioning thing. my old tablet ****ed up when i tried editing the, voldstab.XXXX, or whatever, to hard swap the internal and external memory. Mistake with no back up. Ok on to the Nextbook 8.. the TWRP recovery seems to be working fine.. should i use the options to repartion anything now or what to just install the custom rom with the built-in parameter partition options? ... Only problem im actually having towards fixing the tablet once i decide to read these forums is this slow ass Iphone hotspot internet i have in the country trying to download the ROM zips.
                          Glad these forums are current and active. Ill keep in touch to infor m you on the progress towards installing your custom firmware ,after official 4.4.2 update. Hope its everything i anticipate lol. Thanks bro.
                          You should not need to install parameters again, unless you want to change to a different size.

You should not need to manually reformat any partitions (although it couldn't hurt).

If you install the .zip version of the ROM using TWRP, it will reformat and flash the system partition only, which should be sufficient to get your tablet booting again.

ShaunMT
                          Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Where do I find the rkimage version?
                            You have to unzip the rkimage.zip package on a pc and move the extracted rkimage that's inside it to the tablet and flash. The tab won't unzip it. At least, that's where I think you're having problems.

Comment

Where do I find the rkimage version?

Originally posted by OldrNdirt View Post

You have to unzip the rkimage.zip package on a pc and move the extracted rkimage that's inside it to the tablet and flash. The tab won't unzip it. At least, that's where I think you're having problems.

That is correct...

If you are installing from Stock Recovery, you need the rkimage version. (The rkimage version can only be installed using stock recovery.)

From the instructions in the OP of both this thread AND the download thread:

From stock recovery:
                              2. Download this file:
                              3. Unzip the file.
                              4. Extract update.img
                              Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

I flashed my Nextbook and it all worked then flashed the 4gig partition and now my tablet says no OS installed and is stuck on start up screen. I tried to flash again with recovery and it says success but still have no OS? Any ideas on how i can get my OS back? I tried everything i know to try and it will not load. Tried to partition sd card and it says sd-ext can not be found? Really could use some help please.

Comment

Working...
                                X