Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ShaunMT's TWRP Recovery For The Nextbook NX785QC8G-NXM865FD_WMDE (Support Thread)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JMan36 View Post
    I flashed my Nextbook and it all worked then flashed the 4gig partition and now my tablet says no OS installed and is stuck on start up screen. I tried to flash again with recovery and it says success but still have no OS? Any ideas on how i can get my OS back? I tried everything i know to try and it will not load. Tried to partition sd card and it says sd-ext can not be found? Really could use some help please.

The parameter mods require the system partition to be moved to a new location. The install process is supposed to backup the existing system, repartition the internal memory, then restore the system from backup. Occassionally, the backup and restore seems to fail for various reasons. When this happens, all you need to do is reflash the .zip version of my ROM with TWRP. That should install a new clean system for you and keep the current parameter mod that you previously flashed.

ShaunMT
    Freaktab Rom Developer

Subscribe To My Developer Thread For Updates On My Projects: ShaunMT

https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/..._donate_SM.gif

Comment

Yup, I've qualified this approach a handful of times. As someone who enjoys a pastime of Android lobotomy and running with scissors I occasionally have a boo-boo and carry a fresh ShaunRom.zip in my first-aid kit. Once applied, the wound heals pretty quickly.

Oh, and for faster scar removal I've installed all my most destructive apps @ system level so I don't have to reinstall everything. Ingenious, I know. So now I'm free to move on the my next travesty before the smoke clears.

Comment

Originally posted by OldrNdirt View Post
        Yup, I've qualified this approach a handful of times. As someone who enjoys a pastime of Android lobotomy and running with scissors I occasionally have a boo-boo and carry a fresh ShaunRom.zip in my first-aid kit. Once applied, the wound heals pretty quickly.

Oh, and for faster scar removal I've installed all my most destructive apps @ system level so I don't have to reinstall everything. Ingenious, I know. So now I'm free to move on the my next travesty before the smoke clears.

Once you get the device setup the way you like, you could always use TWRP to create a backup too... then you could restore system, data, cache, etc... all at once or individually from your most recent backup.
        Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

I tried to reflash the TWRP and I keep getting unable to mount system error so went to mount option and it wont let me click on the system all others have an X on them. Any ideas?

Comment

I tried to reflash the TWRP and I keep getting unable to mount system error so went to mount option and it wont let me click on the system all others have an X on them. Any ideas?
            Sounds like /System is corrupted...

I would suggest either wiping or reformatting /System, or reinstalling the ROM which should reformat /System.

You'll have to either reinstall the ROM or restore /System from a backup no matter what...

ShaunMT
            Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Could you post link to ROM so I can be sure I'm flashing the right one please because I can not get the OS to install or my system to mount. Have wiped it and still no OS after I flash.

Comment

Could you post link to ROM so I can be sure I'm flashing the right one please because I can not get the OS to install or my system to mount. Have wiped it and still no OS after I flash.
                Wiping only erases and reformats the selected partition(s).

You haven't tried to install the system or flash the ROM, because you obviously haven't downloaded a ROM to install or flash. (Unless you meant you tried to restore from a previous backup?)

Here is the ROM download thread, with the links and instructions.

The RKIMAGE version can only be installed with the stock recovery. You want the UPDATE.ZIP version for installing with TWRP.

Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

That was the same ROM I was flashing before and it would'nt take it but downloaded again and tried and it took the first time lol I thank you for you're help you really are great at what you do sir It is up and running with the 4gig parameter patch.

Comment

That was the same ROM I was flashing before and it would'nt take it but downloaded again and tried and it took the first time lol I thank you for you're help you really are great at what you do sir It is up and running with the 4gig parameter patch.
                    I am glad you got it working the way you want.

ShaunMT
                    Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Sorry if these seem like dumb questions, I really new to the whole thing and I'm trying to understand how to do it. I want to install the Parameter Patch, but if I'm not mistaken I need to do this first. Problem is I'm not sure how to do this. The instructions seem based off the fact you've already done one of the recoveries and I don't know how to do it or what it means.
                      This is the step that I have the hang up on "6. Flash update.img using the install from rkimage feature in stock recovery."
                      I was wondering if someone can help me out with that part. I tried googling it but I just end up with more questions and with more words/terms I don't quite understand.

Comment

Originally posted by RukatheBlackfish View Post
                        Sorry if these seem like dumb questions, I really new to the whole thing and I'm trying to understand how to do it. I want to install the Parameter Patch, but if I'm not mistaken I need to do this first. Problem is I'm not sure how to do this. The instructions seem based off the fact you've already done one of the recoveries and I don't know how to do it or what it means.
                        This is the step that I have the hang up on "6. Flash update.img using the install from rkimage feature in stock recovery."
                        I was wondering if someone can help me out with that part. I tried googling it but I just end up with more questions and with more words/terms I don't quite understand.

Just download the update.img, place it on your external sd card and flash it like a normal update from the manufacturer. It will replace your stock recovery with TWRP.

Then you can use TWRP to flash the parameter patch of your choice.

ShaunMT
                        Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Yeah it seemed really simple, lol just needed to put the SD card in my tablet. Thank you!

Comment

Hello,

so I got one of those tablets....and then perhaps not. Seems NextBook again
                            changed their hardware a bit.

Here are the product identifers found in my build.prop:

ro.product.model=NX785QC8G
                            ro.product.name=EBM865FD
                            ro.product.device=EBM865FD
                            ro.build.product=EBM865FD
                            ro.build.description=EBM865FD-user 4.4.2 KOT49H eng.root.20141125.174514 test-keys
                            ro.build.fingerprint=Nextbook/EBM865FD/EBM865FD:4.4.2/KOT49H/eng.root.20141125.174514:user/test-keys
                            ro.product.usbfactory=NX785QC8G

The full build.prop is attached to this message.

Do I have any realistic chance of using Shaun's TWRP build on this at all?
                            How about the Parameter Patch? Yes? Or no go?
                            If it won't work out of the box, is there anything I can do to make it work?
                            And what do I do if I brick the thing?

Best regards,
                            -Clyde
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Clyde View Post
                              Hello,

so I got one of those tablets....and then perhaps not. Seems NextBook again
                              changed their hardware a bit.

Here are the product identifers found in my build.prop:

ro.product.model=NX785QC8G
                              ro.product.name=EBM865FD
                              ro.product.device=EBM865FD
                              ro.build.product=EBM865FD
                              ro.build.description=EBM865FD-user 4.4.2 KOT49H eng.root.20141125.174514 test-keys
                              ro.build.fingerprint=Nextbook/EBM865FD/EBM865FD:4.4.2/KOT49H/eng.root.20141125.174514:user/test-keys
                              ro.product.usbfactory=NX785QC8G

The full build.prop is attached to this message.

Do I have any realistic chance of using Shaun's TWRP build on this at all?
                              How about the Parameter Patch? Yes? Or no go?
                              If it won't work out of the box, is there anything I can do to make it work?
                              And what do I do if I brick the thing?

Best regards,
                              -Clyde

There are 3 potentially important differences between your build.prop and mine...

Yours is identified as EBM865FD and Mine is NXM865FD... I think the first two letters are a short code for the brand name and the M865FD part is the model number of the main board inside the device. Is yours one of Yifang's foreign brands rather than a eFun/Nextbook branded model? Yifang makes these and markets the exact same devices under different brand names in different countries all over the world.

Yours has a newer build date November 2014. My stock ROM was compiled in May 2014. No idea what if anything might have changed.

Yours appears to have been compiled with Google test keys instead of private release keys from the manufacturer, which is unusual. Are you sure it is the original stock ROM and not a modified ROM?

Aside, from those notes, there isn't any way I can be sure the hardware inside is identical. I suspect it would be considering it appears to have the same main board, but there is no guarantee they didn't change a component part like the touchscreen or the WiFi chip or the Accelerometer chip. There also isn't any easy way to verify that the partition mapping is identical, although it should be possible to reformat everything using my patches and ROM.

If you feel like taking some risks and giving my ROM a try... here are my suggestions to increase your chance of recovery in case of a brick... (i believe it is impossible to permanently brick one of these, however a proper backup is required to unbrick)
                              • You need to back everything up before you start.
                                • I think you can backup everything using the rockchip flash tools, but I don't remember, and I've never used the windows version. I've only used the unix version.
                                • You can probably make at least a partial backup using online nandroid backup from the play store. You might have to root first.
                                • After rooting, if you flash just my TWRP recovery, you should be able to make a backup using it, assuming all the partitions mount ok.
                                • I'd back up by every method possible and move the backup files to a PC for safe keeping
                              • If you have valid backup files, you should be able to restore them using either the rockchip flash tools or TWRP.
                              • Make you sure you understand how the tools work before you begin.

If you aren't comfortable learning how everything works and troubleshooting on your own, then you probably shouldn't start down this road. You might be better off rooting with a tool like kingo root or iroot and settling for a rooted stock ROM with the default partitioning.

P.S. If you do manage to backup the files, I'd love to receive a copy to look at and test on my device.
                              Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Hello ShaunMT,

and thanks for the quick and comprehensive answer.

The tablet in question is indeed an international model, sold in Iceland.
                                The package advertizes it as a Nextbook8, with NX785QC8G as the
                                model number, and it says eFun and Nextbook all over the package in
                                several places. So...same Brand, different market. Maybe the NX stands
                                for the american market while EB refers to the european one? It's
                                manufactured in March 1015, SerialNr is YF03150****

I had the same problem with slightly varying hardware back with my old
                                Next8HD8G last year in august or september, you actually did help me
                                recover from a softbrick, and TWRP was working on THAT tab without
                                problems even despite of the different hardware IDs.

I do in fact have two identical NX785QC8G tablets of this type available
                                now, so even if I softbrick one of them, recovery should be possible using
                                the rom taken from the other.

I've rooted both of them with KingoRoot earlier today, so there's that,
                                it's a first step in the right direction.

Next I will first poke the thing with the nandroid backup tool, then read
                                up on the rockchip tools and learn how to use those for a backup. That's
                                something for Saturday and Sunday.

The BIG step will be getting TWRP Recovery running on it. Even if
                                the resized partitions patch might not work, at least TWRP would be
                                VERY nice to have.

Best regards,
                                -Clyde

Comment

Working...
                                X