Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seriously at my wit's end - will pay someone for help if they want!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seriously at my wit's end - will pay someone for help if they want!

Hello --

I have been trying for a week to root a Nextbook 9 Premium tablet. I have tried every tutorial I can find, and it's all becoming really confusing.

I am a noob to tablets, but I have messed around with phones and pc's a lot. I have to say this has been the most annoying by far, lol.

The latest instructions I've tried are on this forum -- I tried DocTech's steps and got stuck at step 5 -- my tablet doesn't go into recovery mode -- it just powers up like usual. Then I saw where shaunmt says I have to have a ui image in the root folder of my external SD card, so I followed his steps as well and I still don't get a recovery mode. The tablet just powers up and nothing is different.

My vacation is almost over , so I don't have much more time to spend on this, so if someone is willing to spend a few minutes walking me through or knows a sure-fire way to make this work (the tablet is undamaged -- brand new), then I'd be willing to pay them for their time. I hope I'm not breaking a rule by offering payment, I just am so aggravated!

Thanks!

Have you tried

Kingo Root

Kingo one click Android root tools simple and fast one key root cell phone, mobile access to root privileges, manage mobile phones, streamline the system, delete the preset applications. After rooting can also manage boot from the start, to enhance mobile performance!

No idea if it will work for you, just a suggestion.
    Team UX
    http://www.ultimatexbmc.com/

http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...-ULTIMATE-XBMC

Comment

I'm not familiar with the Nextbook 9... what type of CPU does it have and what Android version is on it?

Does it currently boot normally?

ShaunMT
      Freaktab Rom Developer

Subscribe To My Developer Thread For Updates On My Projects: ShaunMT

https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/..._donate_SM.gif

Comment

Originally posted by ultimatexbmc View Post
        Kingo Root

Kingo one click Android root tools simple and fast one key root cell phone, mobile access to root privileges, manage mobile phones, streamline the system, delete the preset applications. After rooting can also manage boot from the start, to enhance mobile performance!

Thanks bunches -- I have not tried this one. Will try it today and post the results.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunmt View Post
          I'm not familiar with the Nextbook 9... what type of CPU does it have and what Android version is on it?

Does it currently boot normally?

ShaunMT
          Hi Shaun -- Yep, it boots normally. No problems with it at all, except that I can't get any of the apps I need. It only has 4GB internal memory, so I also bought and installed a 32GB microSD card. The CPU is based on Cortex-A8, the main CPU frequency is 1 GHz, and it's running Android OS 2.3. Thanks for the reply -- any suggestions based on this info?

Comment

Originally posted by leleegrrl View Post
            Hi Shaun -- The CPU is based on Cortex-A8, the main CPU frequency is 1 GHz, and it's running Android OS 2.3. Thanks for the reply -- any suggestions based on this info?
            It would help to know the manufacturer of the CPU and mainboard... Some of the Nextbooks are Rockchip, some are Amlogic, some are MediaTek... all of which have VERY different firmware...

Is it really running Android 2.3? That's extremely old....

ShaunMT
            Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

It would help to know the manufacturer of the CPU and mainboard... Some of the Nextbooks are Rockchip, some are Amlogic, some are MediaTek... all of which have VERY different firmware...

Is it really running Android 2.3? That's extremely old....

ShaunMT
              Ok, sorry -- I found the processor manufacturer -- it's ARM. And yes, the specs and the system settings say that it's running Android OS 2.3 Gingerbread. I would never have bought this thing, especially seeing that the company who made it is called "e-Fun", lol... sounds cheap from the get-go. My 65 y.o. mom couldn't figure out how to use it b/c it's NOT user-friendly... so she bought an i-Pad and gave this one to me.

Comment

Ok, sorry -- I found the processor manufacturer -- it's ARM. And yes, the specs and the system settings say that it's running Android OS 2.3 Gingerbread. I would never have bought this thing, especially seeing that the company who made it is called "e-Fun", lol... sounds cheap from the get-go. My 65 y.o. mom couldn't figure out how to use it b/c it's NOT user-friendly... so she bought an i-Pad and gave this one to me.
                ARM isn't a manufacturer... It's a hardware architecture type...

That must be a very very old model... (the first 4 digits of the serial number should be the month and year of manufacture)

you might some info about it buried in the Nextbook forum section, but you'll have to look at the older posts, from around the time the site started...

ShaunMT
                Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Originally posted by ultimatexbmc View Post
                  Kingo Root

I got really excited b/c it looked like it was going to work at first -- it told me to disconnect my device so that it could download the driver... but it looks like my device is not supported, b/c it downloaded an HTC driver, then told me to reconnect my device. I did, and made sure USB debugging was enabled, but it just kept trying to connect to no avail and telling me to enable USB debugging.

Thanks so much for the suggestion, though -- I'm willing to try just about anything to keep this thing from becoming a coaster for my coffee table!

There are just a few choice apps I need to have -- otherwise having a tablet is pointless to me -- I need to be able to download and read books -- which of course it can... but I also need to be able to download a highlighter and notes app to use on my ebooks, I need Evernote, I need FitBit, and I need Skype. There are a couple of others I can't think of right now, but those are the main things I need and I can't get ANY of them on this tablet b/c it's not compatible with Android Market or Google Play.

Comment

This is the most promising thread I could find:

http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?2194-Latest-Nexbook-9P-stock-ROM-as-of-Nov-2012

If the ROM is no longer available, you might have to message Finless and ask if he can restore it.

No guarantees it will work on your model...

I think it is safe to say that you are out of luck on any further update for that tablet...

Even with root, I suspect you'll have a LOT of app incompatibilities just because the Android OS version is so old...

ShaunMT
                    Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

This is the most promising thread I could find:

http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?2194-Latest-Nexbook-9P-stock-ROM-as-of-Nov-2012

If the ROM is no longer available, you might have to message Finless and ask if he can restore it.

No guarantees it will work on your model...

I think it is safe to say that you are out of luck on any further update for that tablet...

Even with root, I suspect you'll have a LOT of app incompatibilities just because the Android OS version is so old...

ShaunMT
                      thanks Shaun -- I tried the link to the ROM and it's dead, so I pm'd Finless. Also, I have been looking around and I think it's Rockchip, b/c when I try to use this one-click rooting tool, it says
                      7:58:19 PM - Board ID: NXM908HC7:58:19 PM - Chipset Platform: rk29
                      Is the "rk29" meaning RockChip? lol... I don't know, I feel like I'm losing it.

Comment

thanks Shaun -- I tried the link to the ROM and it's dead, so I pm'd Finless. Also, I have been looking around and I think it's Rockchip, b/c when I try to use this one-click rooting tool, it says
                        7:58:19 PM - Board ID: NXM908HC7:58:19 PM - Chipset Platform: rk29
                        Is the "rk29" meaning RockChip? lol... I don't know, I feel like I'm losing it.
                        rk29 is a Rockchip CPU model #...

Most of the early Nextbook's were Rockchip based devices...

ShaunMT
                        Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Working...
                        X