Android 4.1.1 Jellybean on the Nextbook Premium 8se

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Android 4.1.1 Jellybean on the Nextbook Premium 8se

Soon after purchasing my Nextbook Premium 8 se I learned that many Roms, apks, etc. that I couldn't find via Google (in English, anyhow) are easily found in Italian.

Which brings me to what I found today

Run that through Google Translate, if like me you don't speak a word of Italian. In it is a link to a Jellybean Rom for our tablet. Installed and running. It seemed to take a moment, and I was afraid that the Rom didn't install cleanly, but after a couple of minutes it turned out fine. Going to take this baby for a spin now!

ok, so far so good. The Rom is very responsive, Google Now is working well. Only thing to note, which I should have known: Take out your micro sd card first! I ended up corrupting mine when I flashed the Rom. (And guess where I had everything backed up too? = fail)

But again, other than that, this Rom is awesome

Comment

All right, time to sit down and write a guide to doing this. First things first: I didn't do any of this work! People like Devmonkey, Sunnyboy167, deeno33, Xteam at Android World Italy, and of course FinlessBob for the inspiration are the ones who've put in the legwork and hours to make this stuff possible. I'm just gathering their work in to one place.

Before you begin: Back up all your things if you want to keep them!

Also, remove your micro sd card from the Nextbook. I darn near fried mine because I didn't.

Next: You know the drill. You're a big boy, (or girl, or whatever. I'm not here to judge) I, nor anyone else is responsible if anything bad happens to your device, to you, your happiness, or your hard earned money or your time. YOU are choosing to root your device and install Jellybean on to it and YOU assume all responsibility. Cool? Also, this will probably void your warranty. But let's face it, if you're here, you probably don't care too much about your warranty anyway. Let's get rocking.

STEP 1: Make sure you have the device drivers installed for your Nextbook on your computer.
      I'm using a Windows 7 64 bit desktop. I imagine that other Windows desktops pre Win 8 will be similar. If you're using Linux, I believe that drivers aren't necessary. But hey, if you've installed Ubuntu, Arch Bang, Puppy, etc, you've probably got this figured out anyway.

Turn off your Nextbook Tablet Connect the micro usb cord to it, then hold in the volume up and down keys while plugging it in to your computer.

"NOTE: On your screen you should see a bubble pop up in the lower-right corner saying "Installing drivers". Most likely it will say it can't find the drivers. This is normal. Continue following the steps to install the missing drivers.

Step 2: Open the Device manager by typing mmc devmgmt.msc into your "Run" box on XP or search box in start menu on Windows 7 and hitting enter (you can also find Device Manager in your Control Panel options in Windows 7).

Step 3: With your N8 still in an off state and plugged in via USB you should see a yellow exclamation symbol somewhere next to "Unknown Device" in the list of devices in the Device Manager. Right click on it and select "Update driver software".

Step 4: Now it will prompt you to choose how you want to search for it. Select "Browse my computer for driver software" and it will bring up a window for you to navigate manually to the driver location which is in the "drivers" sub-folder in the NEXTBOOK8ROOT folder. Select which ever system you have (32bit or 64bit) and then hit "OK". You might go thru one or two prompts before it actually installs. Just "OK" everything and you should be fine." ~Sunnyboy167

Ok, now that the device drivers are installed you'll want to download the file linked from here: http://www.zippyshare.com/v/60864398/file.html

Scan that thing for any nasties, and then unzip it wherever you'd like. (I used my desktop) Open it and click on the folder "Mediacom 810c" Inside you'll find a file named "Rk29update.exe." Open it. You'll see a box: Click the button that says "loader," then click "Formatta!!" Which, as you might have guessed is Italian for "Format." No going back now, kid.

Let the thing run its course, it'll take a couple of minutes. Once it's done, click the box that says "Aggiorna!!" This will install Jellybean on to your Nextbook. Be patient, as this will take a few minutes. You'll hear your computer make the "device disconnected" sound, and you'll be all set. You can unplug your Nextbook from your computer now.

First boot up of the device on Jellybean was a touch slow for me, but don't panic. Once you've gotten through set up the Rom runs incredibly smooth and fast. The first screen you'll see will be the welcome (benvenuto) screen. You can select English (or your preferred language) from the drop down menu. From this point on it should be smooth sailing. Google Now works like a charm, Project Butter seems to really make a difference on this tablet, camera works, notifications work, everything seems good. There are minor bugs here and there, but nothing Earth shattering.

One last thing: for a $99 budget "craplet" from Big Lots, you could do a lot worse than this tablet. I've found it pretty sturdy, highly customizable, and generally responsive and fun to use. I also own a Nexus 7, and while this clearly can't touch it spec wise, it's definitely a fun second device to keep around.

Comment

Re: Android 4.1.1 Jellybean on the Nextbook Premium 8se

file doesn't exist on zippyshare...anywhere else?

KID™IDAHO tapatalk

Comment

hmmm,

just checked the zippyshare link again and it worked for me. Was a bit of a pain, as the "Download" link first popped an ad up, then didn't seem to work at all, then worked after doing the captcha two or three times.
          Last edited by Conect11; 11-17-2012, 22:44. Reason: Added test results from link.

Comment

It works great! Got one bug only .. the battery level does not change, anyway to fix it?

Comment

Originally posted by husam212 View Post
              It works great! Got one bug only .. the battery level does not change, anyway to fix it?
              I have the same issue, and have since a gingerbread ROM I previously installed, so not sure if it is specific to this build. Would love to know a solution of one becomes available.

Comment

file not there

Originally posted by Conect11 View Post
                just checked the zippyshare link again and it worked for me. Was a bit of a pain, as the "Download" link first popped an ad up, then didn't seem to work at all, then worked after doing the captcha two or three times.
                Still doesn't work for me. Can you upload to freaktab?

Comment

Originally posted by kididaho View Post
                  Still doesn't work for me. Can you upload to freaktab?
                  I actually tried that when I saw your original post last week, but can't upload zip files on Freak Tab, apparently. There are enough files in the zip to make uploading each one ungainly, but if I have the time to upload each (and provide clear instructions on where everything needs to go in order to work) then I'll do it.

In the meantime, have you tried linking through the original Italian site mentioned at the top of the thread? There were two file links, and while one of them said "obsolete" (the one I didn't use, natch) maybe you'll have an easier time with that one.

Comment

Re: Android 4.1.1 Jellybean on the Nextbook Premium 8se

Yea I tried the italian link as well.... No luck

KID™IDAHO Tapatalk

Comment

Just unboxed my Next8p12 se and....

Just unboxed my Next8p12 se and I need/want google play and netflix to work... does this Jellybean version allow you to use these apps and store... I am new to the tablet world as this is my first tablet of my own, but I have had many android phones (non) rooted, and I have used other friends more exspensive tablets. So I am guess I am just looking for something that runs smooth, has few hiccups, and seems familar... This Nextbook does not currently run Netflix, and does not have Google Play.... It seems like a great tablet, if I could get it to use the apps that I am used...

Randy

Comment

While this will not automatically add the Play Store, it will unlock your ability to use it. (Out of the box, the Nextbook blocks it) simply search for "gapps jellybean" and transfer to your tablet after installing the ROM. I have not personally tried Netflix, however playon ran incredibly well on it.

Comment

so in your opinion Jellybean or ICS ? If I have an option for both which should I pick? Thoughts...

Randy

Comment

Originally posted by rpetree View Post
                            so in your opinion Jellybean or ICS ? If I have an option for both which should I pick? Thoughts...

Randy
                            I personally never got ICS to run as a root, and the version that Nextbook has running out of the box is too limited for me to recommend. Gingerbread and Jellybean both run very well.

Comment

hey it looks like the problem i am having with installing is the driver is wrong for the chipset i have on this tablet.. how do in figure out the right one...
                              Randy

Comment

Working...
                              X