Help Nextbook Ares 11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Nextbook Ares 11

I know this tablet is really new unfortunately it shipped with lollipop 5.0 and i can't hardly play anything on it because of the memory leak and there is no update for it yet. I'm interested in either a workaround for the leak or downgrading to kitkat. please help.

Originally posted by jeztur2003 View Post
    I know this tablet is really new unfortunately it shipped with lollipop 5.0 and i can't hardly play anything on it because of the memory leak and there is no update for it yet. I'm interested in either a workaround for the leak or downgrading to kitkat. please help.
    Sorry, you are the first I've heard of with one of these. It will probably be awhile before anything is available for it.

It looks like a fun toy. Where did you get it and how much was it?

ShaunMT
    Freaktab Rom Developer

Subscribe To My Developer Thread For Updates On My Projects: ShaunMT

https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/..._donate_SM.gif

Comment

Originally posted by shaunmt View Post
      Sorry, you are the first I've heard of with one of these. It will probably be awhile before anything is available for it.

It looks like a fun toy. Where did you get it and how much was it?

ShaunMT

I was wondering the same thing myself. Anyway, here's the info on the tablet itself. http://www.nextbookusa.com/productde...?product_id=24

There's even more tablets in the works from them as described here

Most are coming in May, from what I gathered.
      NEXTBOOK NX700QC16G Rooted with updated firmware to allow 13GB App Space

Comment

Originally posted by RosaFang View Post
        I was wondering the same thing myself. Anyway, here's the info on the tablet itself. http://www.nextbookusa.com/productde...?product_id=24

There's even more tablets in the works from them as described here

Most are coming in May, from what I gathered.

I also noticed they appear to be doing both Android and Windows versions that may possibly be the exact same hardware with different operating systems.

I will probably try to pick up at least one of these versions. I'd really like an 11 inch form factor with a pogo keyboard.

ShaunMT
        Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Hey sorry about not getting back sooner been playing Battlefield Hardline LOL. Anyways I picked it up at Wal-Mart it's not listed on the website but I can assure you both the android and windows version are in stores. I picked it up for $197 yesterday. Anything else you guys want to know about this thing let me know. I like it so far it's just annoying that the apps keep crashing due to the memory leak. I am able to boot and start playing some heavy graphic games like Injustice, Modern Combat 5, Brothers in Arms 3 and anything else I've thrown at it so far but everything crashes after playing for a bit...

Comment

Hey sorry about not getting back sooner been playing Battlefield Hardline LOL. Anyways I picked it up at Wal-Mart it's not listed on the website but I can assure you both the android and windows version are in stores. I picked it up for $197 yesterday. Anything else you guys want to know about this thing let me know. I like it so far it's just annoying that the apps keep crashing due to the memory leak. I am able to boot and start playing some heavy graphic games like Injustice, Modern Combat 5, Brothers in Arms 3 and anything else I've thrown at it so far but everything crashes after playing for a bit...
            I haven't used Android 5.0 Lollipop yet, nor have I read much about it, however I have used a lot of different Nextbook models...

I'm wondering...

1. Have you researched memory leak problems for Lollipop? If it is a Lollipop related problem, I would be surprised if there weren't some universal fixes that should work for Lollipop on any device...

2. Are you sure it isn't crashing after playing for a bit from overheating? I've seen lots of other Nextbook models that get very very very hot and then shutdown when playing games. Watching hours of video on them is fine, but even simple games can max a CPU nonstop until it overheats.

ShaunMT
            Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

I haven't used Android 5.0 Lollipop yet, nor have I read much about it, however I have used a lot of different Nextbook models...

I'm wondering...

1. Have you researched memory leak problems for Lollipop? If it is a Lollipop related problem, I would be surprised if there weren't some universal fixes that should work for Lollipop on any device...

2. Are you sure it isn't crashing after playing for a bit from overheating? I've seen lots of other Nextbook models that get very very very hot and then shutdown when playing games. Watching hours of video on them is fine, but even simple games can max a CPU nonstop until it overheats.

ShaunMT
              I've done quite a bit of research on it and it appears to be a universal Lollipop problem.

Comment

I've done quite a bit of research on it and it appears to be a universal Lollipop problem.
                Hasn't anyone come up with any fixes yet?

Has Google solved the problem in any of the Lollipop updates?

ShaunMT
                Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Hasn't anyone come up with any fixes yet?

Has Google solved the problem in any of the Lollipop updates?

ShaunMT
                  Nevermind... I see that a quick Google search indicates that Google claimed to fix this infamous memory leak in 5.0.1, again in 5.0.3 and yet again in 5.1, but it still seems to persist.

Maybe 5.1.1 will finally fix it... and then, maybe, if you're lucky, someone will be able to port an update to this new device... (Because Yifang/EFUN/Nextbook are unlikely to provide any software updates)

I think I'll stick with KitKat for awhile...

ShaunMT
                  Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

I guess they have fixed the problem with 5.1 unfortunately nextbook hasn't released it yet

Comment

That's why i'd like to just put Kit Kat on it but I don't even know where to start.

Comment

That's why i'd like to just put Kit Kat on it but I don't even know where to start.
                        Nextbook almost never provides any software updates or after sale support...

Considering that has an Intel processor, you won't find anything useful in the next book forums here yet either....

Might be worth a look in the Intel section though... I don't know how much similarity there might be among these new Intel devices....

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
                        Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

I just bought a Nextbook Ares 11A at Walmart for $179 and put Ubuntu 16.10 yakkety on it, and then from 4.4.0 kernels in that to mainline 4.7 kernels just to see if they had the wifi working. No.

Everything else is nice though. Put it into droidboot from setup, which is fastboot dnx. Then over the usb cable, fastboot oem unlock. You're in. Just boot a usbkey and gparted away all the partitions, make some new ones. It was hard to boot the Ubuntu 16.10 64-bit iso file though, since grub2 command syntax has changed but ubuntu grub package maintainers have not upgraded their minds--I filed a bug report today on how they ruin grub.cfg with old commands. It is possible to boot the iso file and install in uefi mode, and then ubuntu boots beautifully once the bugs are edited out of grub.cfg

Touch works, so I could detach the tablet. I guess android apk's may install through the ubuntu touch suite. I need to slow the mouse cursor movement.

Comment

I'm writing this through the usb tether to my cell phone. Researching how to compile the realtek wifi driver

Comment

On the newer 11A, with Intel Z8500 Atom cpu, I think the rtl chip is rtl8821ae.

Larry Finger says his git code works in all linux kernels. That has firmware. R. Chirath thinks we need his firmware.

I'm not getting anything via lsusb as far as "Realtek" or "Network". Whatever kernel 4.4.0 4.7.0 4.8.0 just loads with rtl8821ae.ko kernel module, or blacklist that ko and modprobe Larry's, they all just load but don't claim anything so lspci -vvnn doesn't show "Network" or "Realtek" anything or even the xxxx:8821 hex or something like that. I'm going to try some things today.

Comment

Working...
                              X