Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jelly Bean on Next Premium 9, with root and Google Play.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A lead on ram

Originally posted by JackTheBear View Post

5. RAM - I wasn't convinced this was an issue. I am now. This is a problem. It's only showing 256MB installed. I think this has a decent chance of fixing the browser crashing too, if it's running out of memory. I think Android may be killing the browser when ram gets too low. Not sure where to start on this, but this is what I'm going to work on first. Any suggestions on how get android to see the full 512MB installed?
    I havn't been able to read much into the post but i found people were having the same problems on the Nexus tablet: http://androidforums.com/nexus-suppo...am-status.html

Take a peak at that and see what you can come up with.

Edit: and i believe i found some relevant info on the browser crashing although it is not a fix, just a better understanding of the problem: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...resource-leaks

See, i was going through some logcats and everytime the browser would crash i would find an entry about java.lang.OutOfMemoryError process destroyed or something like that, and along with it, i would find that it was searching for a language pack just before the browser is destroyed, and then afterwards an error that it couldn't find the language pack. Not sure where to go with all of this, but my feelings are: The kernel for this device (even oma's) is flawed, because the source coding is wrong some where. So until someone a little more linux savvy than me can take a better look at this device and its android source code, we will have many erroneous problems that you just wouldn't have from an American made tablet. But on a side note, i am trying to get back into some programming and once i finish up with "relearning" c++ im going to try to get back into linux and learn all i can about building kernels for android devices so i can try and trace the problem myself, but that is probably several months in the future -_-
    Last edited by JamesCozzby; 01-29-2013, 01:40.

Comment

Battery meter fixed!

It wasn't my first priority, but the opportunity presented itself. I had the wrong Akkufix zip. The one that works is Oma_JB_v1.2_akkufix_2.zip which you can get at http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=248.

I applied it today, and the battery meter now works. And I can reboot the tablet and it restarts and I think it works fine, although I'm getting lower Antutu graphics scores. I just got a 2587. It was 2857 before installing akkufix_2.

I PM'd Oma, the creator of this rom about the browser instability and the missing 256MB of ram. I will post if he's got any suggestions.

Jack

Comment

Originally posted by JamesCozzby View Post
        I havn't been able to read much into the post but i found people were having the same problems on the Nexus tablet: http://androidforums.com/nexus-suppo...am-status.html

Take a peak at that and see what you can come up with.
        Short take on that thread - That's a lot of people confusing 3 different types of memory, but at least some of them seem to be describing our problem. Some of the actual DDR3 RAM is not available to the linux kernel. If you use CPU / RAM / Device Identifier or a similar app, it will show there is only 256 MB ddr installed. I reflashed the stock 4.0 rom and it had the same issue. I agree this is a kernel problem. I didn't try the stock 2.3 rom to see if it had the problem, but Finless v1.5 does also.

I'm pretty sure doubling the ram available to the kernel is going to help improve performance. I'm not talking about free ram. A task killer is not going to fix this.

Originally posted by JamesCozzby View Post
        Edit: and i believe i found some relevant info on the browser crashing although it is not a fix, just a better understanding of the problem: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...resource-leaks

See, i was going through some logcats and everytime the browser would crash i would find an entry about java.lang.OutOfMemoryError process destroyed or something like that, and along with it, i would find that it was searching for a language pack just before the browser is destroyed, and then afterwards an error that it couldn't find the language pack. Not sure where to go with all of this, but my feelings are: The kernel for this device (even oma's) is flawed, because the source coding is wrong some where. So until someone a little more linux savvy than me can take a better look at this device and its android source code, we will have many erroneous problems that you just wouldn't have from an American made tablet. But on a side note, i am trying to get back into some programming and once i finish up with "relearning" c++ im going to try to get back into linux and learn all i can about building kernels for android devices so i can try and trace the problem myself, but that is probably several months in the future -_-
        Yeah. OOM and destroying processes seems like what we're seeing. This is a good place to start to at least get the tablet/browser more stable. And the bit about the language pack is intriguing. Any chance you have the name of the language pack it was looking for? Maybe getting that installed will smooth things over a bit.

Comment

Thanks for this, Jack.

I just wanted to note that it is very important to run the Oma JB v1.1 Format NAND.zip from the SD card, as well as the modell fix file, on the very first boot. There are options in the menu for clearing cache and whatnot, but the script seems to do this and more. The first time, I only did the clearing via the menus and did not run the script. It seemed to feel a little better the second time, when I did only the two above things to the system.

In the developer settings, there are a couple of GPU settings which seem to make the main screen animations a little smoother as well.

The SD Card stuff is bugging me a bit. It seems to require it to be reseated when it comes out of sleep, and it's not mounted in it's usual spot. But the tablet is running better, so I'll deal with it.

I also noticed that the drawers don't seem to want to work under NovaLauncher. I may just re-install it with the latest version and see if that helps. If you use NovaLauncher, disable the background scrolling, and set the animations to "fast".

I'd also like to put out another recommendation for AutoKiller Memory manager. I have it set to the highest setting, and the result hasn't affected stability. But there is more memory free and in general, it gives a better experience with this tablet. There are also some kernel tweaks which can be done with that software, including one to speed up SD access. I haven't benchmarked it, but everything seems more slick with that program doing it's magic, and the kernel tweaks turned on.

All in all, I'd say it's a big improvement, and hopefully we will see an improvement to the kernel along the way, but I am feeling much better about this tablet now. Thanks again for pointing the way .

Comment

Broken charger

I broke my charger a couple of weeks ago. I'm trying to locate a replacement. But since this device won't charge via usb if I'm unable to find a replacement then this thing is a brick. Has anyone seen replacement Next9P chargers available anywhere?

Comment

Charger

Originally posted by brokndodge View Post
              I broke my charger a couple of weeks ago. I'm trying to locate a replacement. But since this device won't charge via usb if I'm unable to find a replacement then this thing is a brick. Has anyone seen replacement Next9P chargers available anywhere?
              $11 - **** - no reviews, but specs look right. I'd probably give this one a shot.
              http://www.****.com/itm/2A-AC-Home-W...e2cff5d&_uhb=1

- or -
              $20 ($15+$5 s/h)- Amazon - 2 good reviews and one where the person bought the wrong product.

Comment

Missing RAM

I ran across this - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=683081. It describes a similar problem with a model of Xperia phone. The phone has 384 MB RAM, but only 256MB can be seen by users. That thread claims 128MB is allocated to VRAM.

Would you believe 256MB RAM/256MB VRAM? The Nexbook Premium 9 spec sheet does list it as DDR3: 2X256MB. I can't find any way to check this theory. I can't find any app or tool to check VRAM allocation. Does anyone have any idea how to check this?

Then the next question would be how to fix it. I'd guess that would take a kernel modification. I asked bq for the android 4.0 Newton kernel source code. They replied that it wasn't available, but they do have the source code for the Gingerbread kernel available at http://www.bqreaders.com/descargas-newton.html. I think I'd be willing to downgrade to get full use of the tablet. And maybe have it not run out of memory and close apps so often. You guys might want to send them additional requests for the 4.0 source code. It can't hurt, and they have released a previous version.

Comment

On another note...

Oma from XDA has been busy. There is a new version of Jelly Bean available, v1.2.4. I tried it. It works. Seemed like full functionality. It looks like it has a bunch of cool features, but it ran slow as dirt. Even after enough time (over an hour of use) and a couple reboots. Back to V1.2.2.

Oma has also released a new version of CM10.1 for RK2918 tablets. CrewRKTablets_RK29_Loox_CM10.1_4.2.2_20130215 features Android 4.2.2. I installed it using the Newton kernel. It works. Like some other roms, it takes a while to boot the first time, but after 10 or 15 minutes of use, performance settles down and it's very fast. It felt much faster switching from screen to screen and app to app than any other rom so far. It feels down-right smooth. And it's got a bunch of new features. BUT it's got some problems that need to be worked out. The clincher was if I turned on WIFI, the tablet hung. I thought the Newton Model fix would help, but that made it boot into a black screen. I think it needs a new model fix. So not ready for use yet, but definitely worth a look. You can get it at http://crewrktablets.arctablet.com/?p=659. You need to get the new version of the Format Nand fix too, available on the same page.

And finally, a bunch of RK2918 versions of Angry Birds including Angry Birds Space are available at http://crewrktablets.arctablet.com/?...=5#wpfb-cat-10, under Oma's JB Fixes.

Many thanks to Oma for these contributions. Oma rocks the tablets.

Comment

NEW LEADS ON MEMORY

ok guys, i had a flood at my house so i have been gone for a long time. But anyway got it all repaired, and now im back! recently i pulled a LOT of logcats from the jellybean rom. look at what i found (the last line is the most important):

I/ActivityManager( 247): Applications Memory Usage (kB):
                    I/ActivityManager( 247): Uptime: 4584606 Realtime: 4584592
                    I/ActivityManager( 247): Total PSS by OOM adjustment:
                    I/ActivityManager( 247): 24012 kB: System
                    I/ActivityManager( 247): 24012 kB: system (pid 247)
                    I/ActivityManager( 247): 10919 kB: Persistent
                    I/ActivityManager( 247): 10919 kB: com.android.systemui (pid 320)
                    I/ActivityManager( 247): 41601 kB: Foreground
                    I/ActivityManager( 247): 21985 kB: com.teslacoilsw.launcher (pid 17138)
                    I/ActivityManager( 247): 19616 kB: com.facebook.katana (pid 17369)
                    I/ActivityManager( 247): 15257 kB: Visible
                    I/ActivityManager( 247): 9225 kB: com.google.process.gapps (pid 12493)
                    I/ActivityManager( 247): 6032 kB: com.google.android.gsf.login (pid 10803)
                    I/ActivityManager( 247): 12099 kB: Perceptible
                    I/ActivityManager( 247): 7535 kB: com.betterandroid.betterkeyboard (pid 16610)
                    I/ActivityManager( 247): 4564 kB: com.TEST.android.lvh (pid 16542)
                    I/ActivityManager( 247): 8889 kB: A Services
                    I/ActivityManager( 247): 8889 kB: com.google.android.apps.maps:GoogleLocationService (pid 16874)
                    I/ActivityManager( 247): 4021 kB: B Services
                    I/ActivityManager( 247): 4021 kB: com.rechild.advancedtaskkiller (pid 17320)
                    I/ActivityManager( 247):
                    I/ActivityManager( 247): Total PSS: 116798 kB
                    I/ActivityManager( 247): KSM: 0 kB saved from shared 0 kB
                    I/ActivityManager( 247): 0 kB unshared; 0 kB volatile
                    I/ActivityManager( 247): PID Vss Rss Pss Uss cmdline
                    I/ActivityManager( 247): 247 109272K 43532K 24178K 21540K system_server
                    I/ActivityManager( 247): 17369 43288K 43212K 21424K 18012K com.facebook.katana
                    I/ActivityManager( 247): 17138 117184K 43884K 21276K 17548K com.teslacoilsw.launcher
                    I/ActivityManager( 247): 320 95740K 29556K 11007K 8800K com.android.systemui
                    I/ActivityManager( 247): 12493 27104K 27004K 9303K 7420K com.google.process.gapps
                    I/ActivityManager( 247): 16874 30264K 30172K 8997K 6148K com.google.android.apps.maps:GoogleLocationService
                    I/ActivityManager( 247): 16610 29512K 29436K 7622K 4588K com.betterandroid.betterkeyboard
                    I/ActivityManager( 247): 10803 24164K 24056K 6137K 4248K com.google.android.gsf.login
                    I/ActivityManager( 247): 16542 25396K 25296K 4668K 2184K com.TEST.android.lvh
                    I/ActivityManager( 247): 17320 24384K 24276K 4131K 1592K com.rechild.advancedtaskkiller
                    I/ActivityManager( 247): 78 21676K 21540K 3396K 1232K zygote
                    I/ActivityManager( 247): 77 87904K 2828K 2263K 2152K /system/bin/surfaceflinger
                    I/ActivityManager( 247): 80 2256K 2256K 1842K 1704K /system/bin/mediaserver
                    I/ActivityManager( 247): 79 1036K 1036K 782K 768K /system/bin/drmserver
                    I/ActivityManager( 247): 17392 816K 816K 618K 596K procrank
                    I/ActivityManager( 247): 74 788K 788K 597K 580K /system/bin/netd
                    I/ActivityManager( 247): 559 644K 644K 467K 452K /system/bin/wpa_supplicant
                    I/ActivityManager( 247): 73 488K 488K 327K 316K /system/bin/vold
                    I/ActivityManager( 247): 83 424K 424K 293K 288K /system/bin/keystore
                    I/ActivityManager( 247): 76 472K 472K 289K 280K /system/bin/rild
                    I/ActivityManager( 247): 75 388K 388K 233K 224K /system/bin/debuggerd
                    I/ActivityManager( 247): 112 204K 204K 184K 180K /sbin/adbd
                    I/ActivityManager( 247): 1 248K 248K 177K 128K /init
                    I/ActivityManager( 247): 81 296K 292K 161K 156K /system/bin/dbus-daemon
                    I/ActivityManager( 247): 49 184K 184K 132K 84K /sbin/ueventd
                    I/ActivityManager( 247): 82 268K 268K 129K 124K /system/bin/installd
                    I/ActivityManager( 247): 72 232K 232K 116K 112K /system/bin/servicemanager
                    I/ActivityManager( 247): 111 228K 224K 116K 112K /system/bin/sh
                    I/ActivityManager( 247): ------ ------ ------
                    I/ActivityManager( 247): 130879K 101568K TOTAL
                    I/ActivityManager( 247): RAM: 229688K total, 25944K free, 2148K buffers, 74404K cached, 324K shmem, 8424k slab

So do the math for the ram total..... Not quite the right amount of ram right??

Any way as far as the browser issue, i think i may have found the solution just haven't tried it yet. Check it out for yourselves tho with a root file explorer: /sys/kernel/ipv4/ and then the files inside contain the memory limits for the browser i do believe. So just increase em i say, but still haven't tried yet, limited on time.

Also the screen fling issue /system/bin/surfaceflinger not sure how to read this file yet to either edit it or find its depencies

and also one thing that annoys me is the lack of the capacitive buttons don't light up unless they are touched... trying to figure that out sys/class/leds/rk29_key_led/brightness leds folder is missing and can't create one, but another led source is /sys/devices/platform/rk29-keypad/ but tried editing some files and its the weirdest thing.... the folders loop? the directory says its a folder within the folder but it just keeps going and going and going and every third level i open is the same files as the orignal directory as i said above. Weird i feel. But anyway, there's what i have found on it so far.

JamesCozzby

Comment

Thank-you for posting this thread. It was surprisingly easy to get Jelly Bean running on my Nextbook 9p. Frankly, the most difficult thing was remembering how to allow the RK tools to detect the device (using the pinhole) and how to enter recovery mode after the flash (pinhole + power button). (I skipped the recovery mode after the post-flash reboot because I was re-installing my SD card. Didn't want it to get wiped inadvertently.)

I followed the instructions as listed in post #1 except after applying the modell_fix, I also applied the battery fix (akkufix_2.zip), which appears to be working. Wi-fi is also working. Speed was pretty slow for the first few minutes (as reported) but it is quick enough and looks great. Unless/until Oma comes out with a newer version, I think this is a keeper.

Comment

Just wanted to say thank you! Took me a while to figure out the rooting procedure. Been a few years since I rooted my android phone. For any newbies like me, you need to make sure you hit that reset switch and when your pc asks for the driver, use the one in the folder "usb driver" that comes with rkandroid, not your official next9 driver or other adb driver.

I used the battery fix update as well right after i did the original update. clean / wiped cache and data after each. Works great so far with no problems. Chrome doesn't seem to have any crashing issues so far. The other browser crashed all the time on the regular system, so it's no worse than it was, and I like Chrome better so there ya go.

Thanks, Jellybean on Next9 is rocking here!

BTW, no audio issues here. Everything's running great.

Comment

I opened my tablet. It does have 2x256mb chips on board. It is DDR3

RK2918
                          External off-chip memory
                          DDRIII, DDRII-800, 16/32bits data width, 2 ranks, 1GB(max) address space per rank
                          LPDDR-400, 32bits data width, 2 ranks, 1GB(max) address space per rank
                          Async SRAM/Nor Flash, 8/16bits data width,2banks,1MB(max) address space per bank
                          Async NAND Flash(include LBA NAND), 8/16bits data width, 8 banks
                          Sync DDR NAND Flash, 8bits data width, 8 banks

Comment

Working...
                          X