This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unbrick Nextbook 7

Today I decided to "gut" my Nextbook 7 #FY1211 for the purpose of finding which system apps were bare minimum for this tablet to operate, and allow me to install apps I use. In the process, on re-boot, my tablet became stuck on the bootanimation screen and began blinking every 5 seconds or so.

My 1st response was to just reflash Bob's 1.4 ROM. Instead, I decided to 1st restore my tablet to its original firmware, then reflash Bob's ROM. However there is no original firmware for the #FY1211 on the NextBook website. Borrowing information from d33dvb at XDA and information Finless Bob included in his download of his #FY1211 ROM download, I decided to post this very simple guide for how I unbricked my tablet. I also felt it was a good idea to have these directions all in one place at FreakTab. I hope it proves useful.

1. If you have already installed a rooted ROM on the Nextbook 7, then you should already have the Rockchip drivers installed on your computer. If you haven't, or they have somehow become corrupted, you can install/reinstall the drivers from the Rockchip Batch Tool v1.4 downloadable here:

2. You will then need to download a copy of the original firmware from the NextBook site. The site includes firmware for #FY0911 and #FY1011. Since I have a #FY1211, I downloaded the firmware for the latest #FY1011. You can download the original NextBook Firmware here: http://www.nextbookusa.com/download.php

3. Next, plug your tablet into the USB and the power supply. Then push down the hole in the back of the tablet with a pin. You should hear a chime/ding from your pc like it is trying to discover something new being plugged into the USB port. Hold the pin in until the tablet stays on a black screen.

4. To ensure you have done everything correct, open the Device Manager from the Control Panel. ​You should see the RK29 device listed. If it isn't listed, unplug the device and reinstall the drivers. Then plug the USB back in. The RK29 should now be recognized.

5. Now click and run RKBatchTool.exe. Towards the bottom of the screen, you will see a green box highlighting the number 1. This is to inform you that your device is ready to install the firmware.

6. At the top of the RKBatchTool you will see a long box that says FW Path. Use the browse button to find the firmware (update.img) you downloaded from Nextbook in step 2. Then at the bottom of the tool, click the upgrade button. In less than 5 minutes, your firmware will be installed on your tablet. It will then reboot, and your tablet will be in the same state as when purchased.

7. Your tablet is now fresh and ready to install a custom ROM.

Nice post!

ZonaMojo, if you are OK I am going to download all your files and put them as FREE download here on FreakTab. They don't have to go anywhere else to download them.

You OK with that? If so I will edit your post withthe download links updated.

Also... you just got your first STICKY

Bob
    "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
    "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
    "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
    "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
    "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
    "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
    "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
    "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
    "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

Cool Bob. I didn't write the Rockchip Batch Tool. However every android forum I have come across has their own upload of this tool and a link to save other android forums download bandwidth. I see no problem making it available for download here.

Comment

Oh I know about the RKbatch tool. Also your link to arctablet did not work. Anyway I fixed it and people can now download the tool here directly.

Bob
        "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
        "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
        "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
        "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
        "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
        "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
        "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
        "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
        "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

Nextbook firmware download moved

The link listed to download Nextbook 7 firmware has changed. To get the firmware, refer to this sticky:

http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...d-page-is-gone!

Comment

My somewhat bricked Nextbook 7P

Hello,
            My Nextbook 7P had been working fine (unmodded) but today it went into a boot loop when I tried to boot it. It gets to the screen showing the hand, churns for about 20 seconds, blanks and then repeats the hand screen, ad infinitum. I have to poke the reset on the back to get out of the loop. I figured my ROM was probably corrupted, somehow. I found this site (and thread) and figured I could restore the ROM. The only problem is that the Nextbook site does not have the ROM image that was indicated in the thread. My nextbook is the 1211 series. Does anyone here have that stock ROM file that I can use? Or am I wrong in figuring it's a corrupted ROM? Is there something else I should try first?
            Thanks

Update:
            I found what I needed on a thread on xdadevelopers and my nextbook is up and running again.
            Last edited by musicman; 06-12-2012, 22:38.

Comment

The rom is on the Nextbook site. With new models coming out, it just keeps being moved. Go to the site, click products, click model of your nextbook, at bottom of page is the download link.

Comment

My Nextbook

My nextbook has a hard power button, and hard volume buttons. It has a camera on the front and a mic on the back. Under the setting menu it says it is a next7s. I am trying to figure out the correct ROM to use to root it...I am BRAND NEW to rooting so please forgive me if these questions seem elementary. Thanks in advance!

Comment

There are 2 places to find out what Nextbook you have. 1. On the box 2. Model # in lower left corner.

Now, considering you have a camera & the settings says Next7S...I am 100% positive you have the Nextbook 7 SE w/ ICS. The problem is I don't know if you have the resistive or the capacitive screen, as there are separate ROMS for them. Maybe Bob or someone with this tablet can tell you where to look to find out.

To make matter more confusing, Nextbook also released an oddball tablet called the Nexbook 7 S, but I've never seen it.

Comment

nextbook 7 SE nextP12

Comment

Soooo... Next7S. Not my cup of tea >_>

So my Nextbook7S has been given to me by a neighbor. He just never used it anymore he said, it's cool he said. Suuuure >_> No, he bricked the thing. It's stuck in a boot loop, all that's showing is the intro page with some woman wearing headphones outside in front of a tree. That's all it shows me. So bootloop brick, then. I go online, try to find some answers, find this forum, and every other forum that says exactly what this one says. Issues with these are, the models have got to be different because this Next7s has no reset button. There's a hole labeled mic that does jack shit. Also, when I plug it in, it DOES register in my device manager. Oddly enough, it will only register as 1 of 3 things. Under Disc Drives, it will be named Next7P12 8-G USB Device. It has been listed as M3 Device under unknown devices, and again under disc drives it will be listed as Linux File-Stor USB Device [but only when in system recovery <3e> mode]. Now, none of these will show up and be accessible in any way except through the device manager. I've tried downloading the Rockchip tool, v1.4 and v1.7, but I can't get any of the drivers to recognize with this device in any form that it appears in in the device manager. I've tried manually loading all of the drivers for 64 and 32 bits and for every os, regardless of the fact that I'm running Win7 64 on this partition of my computer. The tool won't recognize this device when plugged in at all, so I'm assuming properly installing the drivers and not just running the tool is what needs to happen. So, about to repurpose this tablet and turn it into a bludgeon if someone can't help me figure out how to fix it xD I'd appreciate any help given.

Comment

Thanks for the info! When my tablet brick (Dead) not had time to install the drivers on the PC. other wise to recover ? for example copy data in SD ? I'm not root on the tablet, and the recovery menu is 4.1 ( Default). Please HELP!

Comment

Originally posted by ZonaMojo View Post
                          Today I decided to "gut" my Nextbook 7 #FY1211 for the purpose of finding which system apps were bare minimum for this tablet to operate, and allow me to install apps I use. In the process, on re-boot, my tablet became stuck on the bootanimation screen and began blinking every 5 seconds or so.

My 1st response was to just reflash Bob's 1.4 ROM. Instead, I decided to 1st restore my tablet to its original firmware, then reflash Bob's ROM. However there is no original firmware for the #FY1211 on the NextBook website. Borrowing information from d33dvb at XDA and information Finless Bob included in his download of his #FY1211 ROM download, I decided to post this very simple guide for how I unbricked my tablet. I also felt it was a good idea to have these directions all in one place at FreakTab. I hope it proves useful.

1. If you have already installed a rooted ROM on the Nextbook 7, then you should already have the Rockchip drivers installed on your computer. If you haven't, or they have somehow become corrupted, you can install/reinstall the drivers from the Rockchip Batch Tool v1.4 downloadable here:

2. You will then need to download a copy of the original firmware from the NextBook site. The site includes firmware for #FY0911 and #FY1011. Since I have a #FY1211, I downloaded the firmware for the latest #FY1011. You can download the original NextBook Firmware here: http://www.nextbookusa.com/download.php

3. Next, plug your tablet into the USB and the power supply. Then push down the hole in the back of the tablet with a pin. You should hear a chime/ding from your pc like it is trying to discover something new being plugged into the USB port. Hold the pin in until the tablet stays on a black screen.

4. To ensure you have done everything correct, open the Device Manager from the Control Panel. ​You should see the RK29 device listed. If it isn't listed, unplug the device and reinstall the drivers. Then plug the USB back in. The RK29 should now be recognized.

5. Now click and run RKBatchTool.exe. Towards the bottom of the screen, you will see a green box highlighting the number 1. This is to inform you that your device is ready to install the firmware.

6. At the top of the RKBatchTool you will see a long box that says FW Path. Use the browse button to find the firmware (update.img) you downloaded from Nextbook in step 2. Then at the bottom of the tool, click the upgrade button. In less than 5 minutes, your firmware will be installed on your tablet. It will then reboot, and your tablet will be in the same state as when purchased.

7. Your tablet is now fresh and ready to install a custom ROM.
                          Would this work for the Nextbook premium 9? im bricked, thank you [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                          X