Nextbook YFG07 (2013 walmart) possible wifi fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nextbook YFG07 (2013 walmart) possible wifi fix

Its been an interesting past few days learning how to dump and compile my first rom. I've been trying to fix a new Nextbook 7 premium yfg0713 from being locked out by too many password attempts. I am an android rom flashing veteran so it should be as simple as locate a stock rom, flash it in a custom recovery, and be on my way. Google brought me to this forum where I discovered shaunmt's thread http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...Flashable-Root which got me a usable rom and a custom recovery. Booting into the custom recovery and flashing the rom was uneventful, then I booted into android and discovered the wifi would not turn on.
    After much googling, I found this to be a huge problem all over the internet. Unfo rtunately, the Nextbook series was not terribly popular so not much effort was going into fixing this specific problem. I found that there was a wide variety of different configs being sold as the Nextbook 7 so I figured I must have flashed the wrong rom. In that same thread, I found a fresh factory rom dump that aldrich_39 was nice enough to post.
    Thus began my adventure into extracting, organizing, and signing a flashable zip. Many tools were downloaded, many system path variables were broken, and about 20 copies of the same zip file were made until I finally got a properly signed zip.
    I flashed my signed zip file, expecting to see signature errors for the millionth time. But the custom recovery got past the verification step and soon enough, I was booted into android. This time the boot logo was different and the system setup had a different order to it. But when I clicked on setup wifi, it actually started up and found the router! I dont know if anything else is broken in this rom, but the wifi is not.

I sit here waiting for my slow internet to upload a 400 meg file. I shall post a link the second its done. I just wanted everyone with broken wifi to know that hope is not lost, it just takes a very determined noob and some truly talented forum regulars like shawnmt (who did 99% of the work) to get this cheap tablet working again.

heres the file, I hope it works for you. Install it with the custom recovery I linked to in my previous post.

Comment

flashed perfectly

I flashed this on my YFG0913 and it flashed perfectly and my wifi is fixed with no problems i also didnt notice any other. Problems every thing works perfect no errors.

Comment

Wifi Issues

Im glad I helped. Thank you for taking the time to make it work. I will Download it and give a try.

Comment

Second to confirm working wifi on Next7p12-8g

ro.build.date
          Fri Aug 23 15:40:44 CST 2013

Thank you for your help to this project.

Follow up, rom is not rooted and Kyser_Root-signed.zip does not work.
          Last edited by not1ofthepack; 01-29-2014, 18:54.

Comment

I did flash the kyser root zip and it worked perfectly for me. You just have to update SuperSU from the market after. I did have to return the now fixed tablet to its owner, so I wont be doing any more developing for the Nextbook 7 YFG0.

Comment

Originally posted by Madscientist687 View Post
              I did flash the kyser root zip and it worked perfectly for me. You just have to update SuperSU from the market after. I did have to return the now fixed tablet to its owner, so I wont be doing any more developing for the Nextbook 7 YFG0.
              How did you flash kyser, I tired booting into recovery 3e modded and from the update app on the tablet. both ways I get installation aborted.

Comment

kyser rootd

Originally posted by not1ofthepack View Post
                How did you flash kyser, I tired booting into recovery 3e modded and from the update app on the tablet. both ways I get installation aborted.
                put the files on the root of the ext sd card then go into recovery then scroll the ext then to kyser then u should be on ur way if any problems ask schaun ok good luck

Comment

Wifi Fixed

Just flashed the rom and wifi is working... And I rooted through the Kyser root. Roadkill, do you think you could write a tutorial on what tools you use and how you packaged the rom I provided to get to a flashable rom. That would be great only if you have the available time. Thank you for your development.

Comment

kyser root

Originally posted by aldrich_39 View Post
                    Just flashed the rom and wifi is working... And I rooted through the Kyser root. Roadkill, do you think you could write a tutorial on what tools you use and how you packaged the rom I provided to get to a flashable rom. That would be great only if you have the available time. Thank you for your development.
                    i did not do, any thing with dev of this root ,method shaun had somthingh to do,with some of it and other people on xda sight glad it worked for u

Comment

A callout to Madscientist687

Originally posted by aldrich_39 View Post
                      aldrich_39, I think you meant Madscientist687.

I, too, would like to see a tutorial on what Madscientist687 did. Come on, Madscientist687, what do ya say.

Knowledge is a beautiful thing to pass on. Thanks.

Comment

I fully intend to post a complete guide on how I made a rom from a device dump. I shall do so once I know it will work on Windows, Mac, and Linux. Expect the guide sometime late Saturday, the 1st, after my MTG prerelease tournament.

Comment

Thanks Madscientist687

Originally posted by Madscientist687 View Post
                          I fully intend to post a complete guide on how I made a rom from a device dump. I shall do so once I know it will work on Windows, Mac, and Linux. Expect the guide sometime late Saturday, the 1st, after my MTG prerelease tournament.

Awesome! Thanks so much, Madscientist687!

Comment

still not working!

i have DLed both files including the one marked signed. (yfg07-signed) invalid.. not signed error.

Finding update package...
                            Opening update package...
                            Verifying update package...
                            E:failed to verify whole-file signature
                            E:signature verification failed
                            Installation aborted.

i am not sure what i am doing wrong! Maybe we can spell it out? i am a noob when it come to the tablet.. i rooted my phone fine, but not so much this tablet.. it is a nextbook yfg06....
                            Last edited by chewba17; 02-02-2014, 04:43.

Comment

Chewba17, you need to use Shaunmt's modified recovery file uimage_recovery extracted onto an SD card so it ignores signature checks.

Comment

Working...
                              X