This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sumphlet View Post
    I apologize for the mistake on the serial number. I did know mine was a WMN because the WM ROMs I tried wouldn't work and the WMN CWM I installed previously did work. I will try it with the WM unbrick kit and see if that works. Thanks for all the help.
    No worries about the serial number... it is a common misconception that I am trying to educate everyone on. At first we thought we it was only the newer models that had the new board, but after I got a couple of rom dumps, I discovered that they were both being manufactured at the same time.

The same recovery should actually boot on both models. Alot of the people who bricked their WMN did so using the modified 3e recovery for the WM.

I haven't verified this, but I suspect the major differences between the two models are either in the nand partitioning and/or the display. That is I think they may have changed the partition sizes / locations and / or changed the part used for the display.

ShaunMT
    Freaktab Rom Developer

Subscribe To My Developer Thread For Updates On My Projects: ShaunMT

https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/..._donate_SM.gif

Comment

Is there none for Amlogic Next8P12 (NXM805MC) ?

Thanks
      Last edited by shaunmt; 03-05-2014, 18:10. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote of OP

Comment

Originally posted by zhongjai View Post
        Is there none for Amlogic Next8P12 (NXM805MC) ?

Thanks
        Not yet. Are you unable to boot to Android, internal stock recovery, or external modified recovery?

ShaunMT
        Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

No, just in case my tablet Amlogic Next8P12 (NXM805MC) gets bricked.
          What should I use to get it up running again ?

Originally posted by shaunmt View Post
          Not yet. Are you unable to boot to Android, internal stock recovery, or external modified recovery?

ShaunMT

Comment

Originally posted by zhongjai View Post
            No, just in case my tablet Amlogic Next8P12 (NXM805MC) gets bricked.
            What should I use to get it up running again ?
            It's pretty hard to brick an Amlogic based device considering they can boot recovery from external SD card.

I believe the only way to stop it from booting recovery on external SD card is to screw up the bootloader by either erasing the internal Nand with the factory burning tool (don't use it, we don't have the proper config files), flashing an incompatible bootloader from a different device, or interrupting a flash of the bootloader before it completes.

Aside from that, I believe it is also possible to install a ROM from another device with incompatible display drivers, in which case the screen may not turn on even in recovery.

If you ever encounter a situation where it is impossible to boot to recovery on external SD card, you will need an unbrick kit.

I plan to release kits for additional devices in the future.

ShaunMT
            Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

PROGRESS. I tried the WM unbrick kit and my screen turned on, it showed the lcd_test screen with all the colors and such but then the screen went blank... but it didn't boot to recovery, just stayed blank but I could tell the backlight was on. When I try it again with the WMN kit... nothing happens. No backlight, no power.

Comment

PROGRESS. I tried the WM unbrick kit and my screen turned on, it showed the lcd_test screen with all the colors and such but then the screen went blank... but it didn't boot to recovery, just stayed blank but I could tell the backlight was on. When I try it again with the WMN kit... nothing happens. No backlight, no power.
                That's interesting, but unfortunately, I don't know what to try next... Makes me think you may been right about having the WMN, but I don't know why you can no longer get it boot. I have had similar trouble booting mine, sometimes during testing it seemed like it just didn't want to turn on or even try to boot, but eventually it did... I never determined what caused the issue or what resolved it.

Any idea, what originally caused your situation with the tablet freezing on the boot logo?

ShaunMT
                Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

That's interesting, but unfortunately, I don't know what to try next... Makes me think you may been right about having the WMN, but I don't know why you can no longer get it boot. I have had similar trouble booting mine, sometimes during testing it seemed like it just didn't want to turn on or even try to boot, but eventually it did... I never determined what caused the issue or what resolved it.

Any idea, what originally caused your situation with the tablet freezing on the boot logo?

ShaunMT
                  EVEN MORE PROGRESS. Here's what I tried: I flashed the WM unbrick kit to the SD card, but copied over the recovery for the WMN tablet...

...AND IT WORKED. Then I flashed the WM ROM and guess what?? I got my bootscreen back. But it still hangs at the second screen (The overly happy chick with the headphones). But maybe that means all I need is the WMN ROM to fix it?

My original problem was I had changed some fonts that I'm guess the system didn't like so it decided to bootloop... but that's probably long gone since I've wiped the system already.

Comment

EVEN MORE PROGRESS. Here's what I tried: I flashed the WM unbrick kit to the SD card, but copied over the recovery for the WMN tablet...

...AND IT WORKED. Then I flashed the WM ROM and guess what?? I got my bootscreen back. But it still hangs at the second screen (The overly happy chick with the headphones). But maybe that means all I need is the WMN ROM to fix it?

My original problem was I had changed some fonts that I'm guess the system didn't like so it decided to bootloop... but that's probably long gone since I've wiped the system already.
                    I'm really not sure.... The people who I know flashed the WM Rom on the WMN ended up with a tablet like you experienced with no display and no backlight.

I think you might have a bad combination of bootloader, boot image and ROM. I would suggest trying again when I get the new ROMs released.

At least you know it's not completely dead.

ShaunMT
                    Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

I think you might have a bad combination of bootloader, boot image and ROM. I would suggest trying again when I get the new ROMs released.

At least you know it's not completely dead.

ShaunMT
                      Crazy. Hopefully the WMN ROM will fix it all. On a side note in CWM it won't let me mount /system /data or /emmc... won't even let me format though, though it was able to flash the ROM.

Comment

Crazy. Hopefully the WMN ROM will fix it all. On a side note in CWM it won't let me mount /system /data or /emmc... won't even let me format though, though it was able to flash the ROM.
                        Well... that might explain why it crashes on boot when it does. It may have failed to flash /system because it couldn't mount the partition. The boot animation (located on /system) is started right before Android starts loading and stopped when Android is finished loading. I bet it crashes when it trys to mount /system.

Did you ever respond regarding what caused the original problem with it crashing on boot?

ShaunMT
                        Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Well... that might explain why it crashes on boot when it does. It may have failed to flash /system because it couldn't mount the partition. The boot animation (located on /system) is started right before Android starts loading and stopped when Android is finished loading. I bet it crashes when it trys to mount /system.

Did you ever respond regarding what caused the original problem with it crashing on boot?

ShaunMT
                          I did. I had used the font changer app to replace the Roboto fonts with some other ones and after I rebooted it would hang on that second screen.

Comment

I did. I had used the font changer app to replace the Roboto fonts with some other ones and after I rebooted it would hang on that second screen.
                            Ok, I can see how that would cause a crash at the same point, but it wouldn't affect your partition mounting. In fact, your system partition is likely still in the same state it was previously with the bad fonts.

So we need to determine why recovery won't mount those partitions. I suspect it is because the partition mapping on the device doesn't match the recovery.

I suspect you are going to need to use one of the original RescueSDCard.img files where the RescueSDCard, uboot.bin (bootloader), uImage (boot image) and uImage_recovery all match.

ShaunMT
                            Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Ok, I can see how that would cause a crash at the same point, but it wouldn't affect your partition mounting. In fact, your system partition is likely still in the same state it was previously with the bad fonts.

So we need to determine why recovery won't mount those partitions. I suspect it is because the partition mapping on the device doesn't match the recovery.

I suspect you are going to need to use one of the original RescueSDCard.img files where the RescueSDCard, uboot.bin (bootloader), uImage (boot image) and uImage_recovery all match.

ShaunMT
                              So do I need to copy over those particular files that I think would match my current system?

Comment

And another thing, it'll allow me to FORMAT /system and /data, then I can mount them, but I cannot even format /emmc (which I think is the internal sdcard)

Comment

Working...
                                X