Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TWRP Recovery with UBIFS Support For Amlogic Nextbook Tablets (Support Thread)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlackKnight330 View Post
    ok. Have you been having problems with the power button?
    Nope... which model and what type of problem?
    Freaktab Rom Developer

Subscribe To My Developer Thread For Updates On My Projects: ShaunMT

https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/..._donate_SM.gif

Comment

March 2013, I think it might be the hardware, but if i dont use it for awhile then it works fine, but then soon it doesnt work right again.

Comment

March 2013, I think it might be the hardware, but if i dont use it for awhile then it works fine, but then soon it doesnt work right again.
        Probably... I have several different models... Next8HI8G, Next8HD8G, Next7HD8G and two Next8P12. Power button works fine on all of them.

ShaunMT
        Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

O sry its the next7p12-8g

Comment

O sry its the next7p12-8g
            I don't have one of those, but they are all pretty similar...
            Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

TRWP and Rooting...

Will TRWP be able to flash the Kyser root package on ANY Nextbook tablet?
              If so, it seems to me this would be a stellar way to root your tablet.
              Having the recovery boot from the external sd card is an awesome feature.
              Is this feature unique to the AMLogic SoC?

MoeFoh

Comment

Originally posted by MoeFoh View Post
                Will TRWP be able to flash the Kyser root package on ANY Nextbook tablet?
                If so, it seems to me this would be a stellar way to root your tablet.
                Having the recovery boot from the external sd card is an awesome feature.
                Is this feature unique to the AMLogic SoC?

MoeFoh

The kyser_root package should work on ANY tablet that uses a UBIFS file system, which includes all of the Amlogic based Nextbooks and is definitely the easiest way to root all of those models. It does require a custom recovery though, as the stock recoveries can only install packages created by Nextbook.

Yes, booting from external SD card is a feature unique to the Amlogic SOC, and it is an awesome feature!

ShaunMT
                Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

TWRP (recovery partition)

(non-amlogic nextbook tablet)
                  How would you flash TWRP to the recovery partition if you don't have root yet? Fastboot or ADB, maybe? Seems like a catch 22.

MoeFoh

Comment

(non-amlogic nextbook tablet)
                    How would you flash TWRP to the recovery partition if you don't have root yet? Fastboot or ADB, maybe? Seems like a catch 22.

MoeFoh
                    On a non-amlogic based device, getting recovery installed internally requires either root access, insecure ADB access, or a factory style flash tool that can flash the device in fastboot mode.

ShaunMT
                    Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Originally posted by shaunmt View Post
                      On a non-amlogic based device, getting recovery installed internally requires either root access, insecure ADB access, or a factory style flash tool that can flash the device in fastboot mode.

ShaunMT
                      Would fastboot.exe from a pc cmd prompt work?

MoeFoh

Comment

Would fastboot.exe from a pc cmd prompt work?

MoeFoh
                        Probably... I'm just starting to work on non Amlogic devices since I picked up the new Nextbook NX785QC8G which is a RockChip RK3188 device. I rooted it with Kingo root. I can either DD the partitions from terminal or ADB or I can use the RKFlash tool with it, but the android SDK fastboot.exe would probably work also.

Also, be aware that many stock ROMs include a script in the that runs during boot, which checksums the recovery partition, and if it doesn't match the stock recovery checksum, it reinstalls the stock recovery before booting the Android system.

ShaunMT
                        Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Originally posted by shaunmt View Post
                          Probably... I'm just starting to work on non Amlogic devices since I picked up the new Nextbook NX785QC8G which is a RockChip RK3188 device. I rooted it with Kingo root. I can either DD the partitions from terminal or ADB or I can use the RKFlash tool with it, but the android SDK fastboot.exe would probably work also.

Also, be aware that many stock ROMs include a script in the that runs during boot, which checksums the recovery partition, and if it doesn't match the stock recovery checksum, it reinstalls the stock recovery before booting the Android system.
                          ShaunMT
                          I noticed that TWRP renamed the backup recovery file in the /system dir to *.BAK on my Nextbook tablet.

MoeFoh

Comment

I noticed that TWRP renamed the backup recovery file in the /system dir to *.BAK on my Nextbook tablet.

MoeFoh
                            Yeah, I just noticed that a few minutes as well... CWM did something similar, but it asked if you wanted it to or not, TWRP just does it without asking...

ShaunMT
                            Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

TWRP (stock rom backup with no root)

Will TRWP be able to make a complete backup of a system that is unrooted?
                              I ask because it could be useful on a brand new tablet for backing up the virgin stock rom.

MoeFoh

Comment

Will TRWP be able to make a complete backup of a system that is unrooted?
                                I ask because it could be useful on a brand new tablet for backing up the virgin stock rom.

MoeFoh
                                TWRP works the same rooted or not... so yes, it will get the virgin stock system folder, however it never backs up the bootloader or logo partitions... it only backs up the boot image, recovery image, system, data and cache partitions. This is enough to make a ROM, but you need the bootloader to recover from a hard brick.

ShaunMT
                                Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Working...
                                X