Nextbook 8 and Wi-Fi Streaming to TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nextbook 8 and Wi-Fi Streaming to TV

I have done a couple different searches on this forum for this very topic, and haven't come up with anything directly, but considering how vast this forum is I'm sure it's been talked about before (so my apologies).

I bought a NX008HDHG tablet, and was specifically hoping I could use it as a simple method for looking up non-youtube, non-netflix (etc.) streaming videos on the internet and then playing them on my TV using a miniHDMI-to HDMI cable. I kept running into the issue where the video playing is fine when the movie is fully downloaded, but once the 'streaming' functionality is used, the internet cuts out...

I called NextBook about this, and they said that the tablet has something in there that blocks this from happening "for whatever reason". This isn't spelled out in their manual (for which they apologised). The tech guy on the line was telling me that there can be ways around it but it would void the warranty and obviously they'd get in trouble for talking about it on a recorded line.

So then, my question is 2-fold:

1. If someone has already run into this and long ago found a work-around, is there a step-by-step I can be linked to?

2. If this is an unfixable "feature" of this tablet, can someone direct me to a set of tablets that are known to not have this problem? It would really help with family movie night

--Thanks!

Originally posted by Salamano View Post
    I have done a couple different searches on this forum for this very topic, and haven't come up with anything directly, but considering how vast this forum is I'm sure it's been talked about before (so my apologies).

I bought a NX008HDHG tablet, and was specifically hoping I could use it as a simple method for looking up non-youtube, non-netflix (etc.) streaming videos on the internet and then playing them on my TV using a miniHDMI-to HDMI cable. I kept running into the issue where the video playing is fine when the movie is fully downloaded, but once the 'streaming' functionality is used, the internet cuts out...

I called NextBook about this, and they said that the tablet has something in there that blocks this from happening "for whatever reason". This isn't spelled out in their manual (for which they apologised). The tech guy on the line was telling me that there can be ways around it but it would void the warranty and obviously they'd get in trouble for talking about it on a recorded line.

So then, my question is 2-fold:

1. If someone has already run into this and long ago found a work-around, is there a step-by-step I can be linked to?

2. If this is an unfixable "feature" of this tablet, can someone direct me to a set of tablets that are known to not have this problem? It would really help with family movie night

--Thanks!
    I've never actually tried to use this feature, but I have both the Next8HD8G and the Next8P12, both of which offer this feature. I'll try to test this tomorrow and see how it works on mine.

ShaunMT
    Freaktab Rom Developer

Subscribe To My Developer Thread For Updates On My Projects: ShaunMT

https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/..._donate_SM.gif

Comment

You say you have the same tablet as myself... When I called the manufacturer they said that the functionality I wanted (and that you think should be there) is not... or maybe designed to be turned off. They apologized for this issue not being more explicit in the manual. I'd prefer you being right though

Regardless, I would love it if you or anyone else could get back to me on this. If it can't/won't work on my Next8HD8G, then I want to know what will. Try streaming a Viooz moving or something straight through to the TV to test the kind of thing I'm talking about.

Comment

I am not sure if this is what you are talking about, but on my NX008HD if I try to stream videos that have not be optimized for mobile to my TV via HDMI, like directly from say metacafe, the stream stops, not the internet. I do not think this is a blocked feature or intentional feature, I think it is just to much data for the wifi and processor to handle on top of sending it to HDMI. I won't speak directly on viooz since it is an illegal site, but I do know sites like that usually don't optimized streams for mobile. I have a similar spec tablet that has USB ethernet, and when I connect that way I have no issues streaming non mobile content but through wifi it doesn't work.

Comment

How do you even setup HDMI streaming? On my Next8HD8G, when I plugin HDMI, it doesn't seem to be recognized. On my Next8P12, as I soon as I plugin HDMI, the tablet crashes.
          Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Well I got HDMI output working on my Next8P12 by trying a different TV. I was able to stream content from both youtube and netflix in full screen.

I haven't got HDMI output to work on my Next8HD8G at all. I'm guessing there is a problem somewhere in the build.prop.

I noticed the instructions for HDMI output in both manuals say to make sure HDMI is turned on in settings, but neither tablet has any settings for HDMI. In fact, the HDMI settings are disabled in the build.prop.

I'll test further when I find time and report any findings.

ShaunMT
            Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Originally posted by shaunmt View Post
              How do you even setup HDMI streaming? On my Next8HD8G, when I plugin HDMI, it doesn't seem to be recognized. On my Next8P12, as I soon as I plugin HDMI, the tablet crashes.
              did you accidentally remove the HDMI switch app? It should say connected when you hook up, then pick you resolution. Even with it, one of my TVs doesn't like the HD. I have a couple of tablets that seem to have a problem with TVs that auto the HDMI resolution. If I set my one tv to auto it can't see them, if i preset the resolution to 1080 or 720 it can see them. But on my TV that only has the autp resolution it can't see either of them. Oddly, one is a Rockhip and one is the Amlogic.

Comment

You say you have the same tablet as myself... When I called the manufacturer they said that the functionality I wanted (and that you think should be there) is not... or maybe designed to be turned off. They apologized for this issue not being more explicit in the manual. I'd prefer you being right though

Regardless, I would love it if you or anyone else could get back to me on this. If it can't/won't work on my Next8HD8G, then I want to know what will. Try streaming a Viooz moving or something straight through to the TV to test the kind of thing I'm talking about.
                FYI... E-Fun / Nextbook doesn't know much about the tablets they sell. They don't even make them. They buy them from Yifang. They say a lot of things about them that just aren't true. For example, their FAQ for the Next8p12 says it won't support charging over USB, but it does.

ShaunMT
                Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Originally posted by Rabid1 View Post
                  did you accidentally remove the HDMI switch app? It should say connected when you hook up, then pick you resolution. Even with it, one of my TVs doesn't like the HD. I have a couple of tablets that seem to have a problem with TVs that auto the HDMI resolution. If I set my one tv to auto it can't see them, if i preset the resolution to 1080 or 720 it can see them. But on my TV that only has the autp resolution it can't see either of them. Oddly, one is a Rockhip and one is the Amlogic.
                  I still have the HDMI switch app on both tablets.

I've now managed to get HDMI working on the Next8P12 on both my Vizio TV and my LG TV. I can stream full screen video from both Youtube and Netflix on both. I suspect any streaming issues could be related to the TV, the network connection, or the video source. The tablet can definitely handle the load.

The Next8HD8G does not recognize any HDMI connection at all on either TV. I'm starting to think that the HDMI out may not be functioning in my tablet. I may consider trying to exchange it at Wal Mart.

ShaunMT
                  Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Originally posted by Rabid1 View Post
                    I am not sure if this is what you are talking about, but on my NX008HD if I try to stream videos that have not be optimized for mobile to my TV via HDMI, like directly from say metacafe, the stream stops, not the internet. I do not think this is a blocked feature or intentional feature, I think it is just to much data for the wifi and processor to handle on top of sending it to HDMI. I won't speak directly on viooz since it is an illegal site, but I do know sites like that usually don't optimized streams for mobile. I have a similar spec tablet that has USB ethernet, and when I connect that way I have no issues streaming non mobile content but through wifi it doesn't work.
                    What I'm seeing... is that when I stream a movie that's of a non-Youtube non-Netflix variety through HDMI onto the TV, the Wi-Fi connection indicator on my laptop goes out/off (says "no connection")... As soon as I stop the streaming, the internet is re-discovered and reconnected. When I pre-load or buffer any part of that same movie, it plays just fine through HDMI into the TV ... until it gets to the part that has not been buffered, then the internet connection goes out. Ergo, I don't think it has to do with movie optimization for phones/tablets.Has anyone discovered/own a tablet that does not have this problem? Or, is there a workaround on the NEXT008HD8G?

Comment

Alright... I tried the viooz site... it works. I could not get it to work properly in dolphin browser, not even on my SGS3. It works on both my SGS3 and Next8P12 using the stock browser and stock flash. HDMI out works in full screen from my Next8P12, although I did have problems getting the mirroring to work. I had to unplug and replug the HDMI 3 times. The first time, audio worked but both screens went black. The second time, audio worked but the TV went black and the video froze on the tablet. The third time, audio and video both worked perfectly. My internet is extremely fast even over wifi. It doesn't really buffer for me, just starts streaming almost immediately. I've been watching for about 20 minutes now with now issues.

This leads me to believe that any hdmi streaming issues are due to one of the following:
                      1. hdmi sync issue with the TV
                      2. software issue with the apps you're trying to use on the tablet
                      3. ISP related issue regarding bandwidth availability or throttling

ShaunMT
                      Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Hmm... That's good and bad news for me I guess... We tried it with Netflix last night, and IT wasn't working for us either... We reseated the HDMI connection a bunch of different times... Each time we tried to load it up it acted like the internet couldn't load anything properly (lots of hang time and spinning wheels). As soon as I unplugged the HDMI, the Netflix site shot right up and populated all the various browse options and movie choices. Plugged it back in, and it didn't want to find anything again. Claimed a weak wifi connection even though we were about 20+Mb/s. Could the cable really be causing this? What do you think my next steps are? At this point I'm thinking of buying another tablet, but #1 priority on the list is the ability for this thing to stream through to the TV using wifi/hdmi. Ideas?

Comment

Hmm... That's good and bad news for me I guess... We tried it with Netflix last night, and IT wasn't working for us either... We reseated the HDMI connection a bunch of different times... Each time we tried to load it up it acted like the internet couldn't load anything properly (lots of hang time and spinning wheels). As soon as I unplugged the HDMI, the Netflix site shot right up and populated all the various browse options and movie choices. Plugged it back in, and it didn't want to find anything again. Claimed a weak wifi connection even though we were about 20+Mb/s. Could the cable really be causing this? What do you think my next steps are? At this point I'm thinking of buying another tablet, but #1 priority on the list is the ability for this thing to stream through to the TV using wifi/hdmi. Ideas?
                          some sort of electrical interference could kill the wifi... I've noticed that the touchsreen on my Next8HD8G is almost impossible to use while the tablet is plugged in. It seems the charging circuit shorts against the frame or something and causes a slight electrical field over the touchsreen that makes it register multiple taps when trying to tap or scroll. Maybe something similar happens between your HDMI and WiFi antenna.

Do you have other TVs or HDMI cables to try? Maybe you have a poorly shielded cable or a TV that puts out a signal your tablet doesn't like.

ShaunMT
                          Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Working...
                          X