NextBook 7P1N - Ice Cream Sandwich - Finless ROM 1.2 ROOT and Google Play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kibmcz View Post
    PS. Here is fix for the calendar issue.. http://www.mediafire.com/?l8mycpzmt88pqpc (it took me hours to find the aosp calendar files for iml74k)
    Nice find! I noticed that the Google APP files I used on the 7G2 ICS, and the nextbook people had a problem with the calendar APP. So good find on this one!
    The Google ICS APPs I used in this ROM came from the Cube ICS ROM so looks like Cube did not even have the proper calendar app!

Bob
    "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
    "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
    "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
    "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
    "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
    "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
    "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
    "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
    "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post
      If your SD card has errors it will get mounted by Android as read only! This is not just an ICS problem.

Plug your SDcard into a windows PC and do a disk check and let it fix them. This is a very common problem with sdcards and Android. See my post here about it:

http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...Understand-WHY!

Bob
      Thanks bob, but that does not appear to be the problem. I have reformatted and checked for errors on 3 cards. All check ok and work fine when I restore GB. I googled the error I am getting and it seems to be a problem with some ICS units.

There is a program called "SD card permission fixer" that's supposed to solve the problem. I will try it when I get home tonight.

Tapatalk Finless ICS

Comment

Or you can just install a terminal emulator on your Tab and do a remount command and remount it as RW.
        In fact Root Explorer will allow you to do that without linux commands.

Bob

Comment

Or you can just install a terminal emulator on your Tab and do a remount command and remount it as RW.
          In fact Root Explorer will allow you to do that without linux commands.

Bob
          A what? I'm just an over worked truck driver, I need pictures. Lol

Seriously, I use root explorer how do I go about it?

Tapatalk Finless ICS

Comment

OK open root explorer. Now in root explorer open the SDcard.

At the top of the file listing of your sdcard it will say how much space is used, available and if it is mounted RO or RW. If you click that where it says "mount as RW" it should remount it as RW.
            But if your sdcard already says RW then you have some other problem.

Bob

Comment

Nice find! I noticed that the Google APP files I used on the 7G2 ICS, and the nextbook people had a problem with the calendar APP. So good find on this one!
              The Google ICS APPs I used in this ROM came from the Cube ICS ROM so looks like Cube did not even have the proper calendar app!

Bob

Thanks

btw your rooted one would only boot on next7p when using the stock next7p1n boot image and not with any customized varient of it.

Also i can't get root to work after modding the system image (full on google apps set)
              Google Galaxy Nexus (Rooted Stock) ~ I90250: ClockworkMod Touch Recovery 5.8.0.2, PrimeLC03 Bootloader, i90250XXLF1 Radio
              Google Nexus S (Rooted Stock) ~ I9020A: ClockworkMod Touch Recovery 5.8.0.2, I9020XXLC2 Bootloader, I9020XXKB3 Radio
              E-Fun Nextbook Premium 7 (Kustom Ginger v4) ~ Next7P: Android system recovery v1.3.38, RK29xxLoader(L) V2.20

My Roms/Mods: http://kcomputerzone.ca/pages/downloads/android.php

Comment

Thanks

btw your rooted one would only boot on next7p when using the stock next7p1n boot image and not with any customized varient of it.

Also i can't get root to work after modding the system image (full on google apps set)
                That cant be true. I changed 3 lines in boot.img to get root. So something else is up there. Your the first to complain of that too

You cannot get root without modding boot.img and specifically init.rc in boot.img. You can get a temp root but on reboot it will no longer be RW access to system. This is why you MUST change boot.img.

Bob

Comment

That cant be true. I changed 3 lines in boot.img to get root. So something else is up there. Your the first to complain of that too

You cannot get root without modding boot.img and specifically init.rc in boot.img. You can get a temp root but on reboot it will no longer be RW access to system. This is why you MUST change boot.img.

Bob
                  You can get partial root (aka root apps work with basic function eg titanium backup ) since thats what we had back on cramfs... and it worked when when using your system unmodified with pure boot.img.

Your boot image wasnt accepted by device it stayed at rkusb mode.. i even tried rkcrc -k on it and still same thing.
                  Google Galaxy Nexus (Rooted Stock) ~ I90250: ClockworkMod Touch Recovery 5.8.0.2, PrimeLC03 Bootloader, i90250XXLF1 Radio
                  Google Nexus S (Rooted Stock) ~ I9020A: ClockworkMod Touch Recovery 5.8.0.2, I9020XXLC2 Bootloader, I9020XXKB3 Radio
                  E-Fun Nextbook Premium 7 (Kustom Ginger v4) ~ Next7P: Android system recovery v1.3.38, RK29xxLoader(L) V2.20

Comment

You can get partial root (aka root apps work with basic function eg titanium backup ) since thats what we had back on cramfs... and it worked when when using your system unmodified with pure boot.img.

Your boot image wasnt accepted by device it stayed at rkusb mode.. i even tried rkcrc -k on it and still same thing.
                    I am not sure what to tell you on that. Others have flashed the ROM with my modded boot.img and have not reported that problem.

Just make sure anytime you flash my ROM to erase IDB as changes I made effect that and how it boots. Oh and also the new loader in my ROM kit is required!

Bob

Comment

I am not sure what to tell you on that. Others have flashed the ROM with my modded boot.img and have not reported that problem.

Just make sure anytime you flash my ROM to erase IDB as changes I made effect that and how it boots. Oh and also the new loader in my ROM kit is required!

Bob
                      I always erase idb lol and i got the new bootloader from my messing with the next7p12 rom so not sure whats up

Comment

I always erase idb lol and i got the new bootloader from my messing with the next7p12 rom so not sure whats up
                        It could be some possible hardware or init changes (stock) that are not compatible with your specific hardware.

One thing I will tell you is not ALL nextbook's that say serial #xyz are the same! Look at the other ROMs over time and the people that state they have #xyz but the ROM did not work e.g. no wifi, sound, buttons, etc.
                        So I am not totally suprised by this. Nextbook seems to have more ROMs and for sure variations on hardware!

The only way to figure this out is to use ADB and logcat to see whats going on during the boot process. You cannot compare the init.rc from a Gingerbread ROM to a ICS ROM as out the gate they are very different! So there may not be many clues by comparing them. But you can try and see why.

Again the only things I changed in init.rc are 4 lines
                        mkdir /system was changed to 777 from 771
                        Where it had mounting system as RO I changed that to RW.
                        root file system was changed to RW from RO.
                        ADB was changed from locked down to open.

Bob

Comment

OK open root explorer. Now in root explorer open the SDcard.

At the top of the file listing of your sdcard it will say how much space is used, available and if it is mounted RO or RW. If you click that where it says "mount as RW" it should remount it as RW.
                          But if your sdcard already says RW then you have some other problem.

Bob
                          Bob

Thanks but it still was a know go.

I down loaded "SD card permission fixer" from the play store, installed and it fixed the problem.

Here is the xda link on the problem I was having and a fix for samsung devices that did not work for me. It did point me to the fixer.

You might want to review it in case you run into it elsewear.

I have owned a number of tablets but this is the first time I'm unable to write files to my ext. SD card. Anyone else have this issue? Thanks

Thanks for a great rom and all the help.

Tapatalk_NB7_Finless 1.5 ROM

Comment

Originally posted by swlaraut View Post
                            Bob

Thanks but it still was a know go.

I down loaded "SD card permission fixer" from the play store, installed and it fixed the problem.

Here is the xda link on the problem I was having and a fix for samsung devices that did not work for me. It did point me to the fixer.

You might want to review it in case you run into it elsewear.

I have owned a number of tablets but this is the first time I'm unable to write files to my ext. SD card. Anyone else have this issue? Thanks

Thanks for a great rom and all the help.

HA! OK I read through that post and THAT for sure is a ROM bug on permissions! I almost could not believe it when I read it! How the HELL could a manufacturer release a ROM that would not allow write to sdcard? Well I guess you found another Tablet company that ported the SAME BUG! Amazing honestly....

I will say this... I think these OS's made by these cheap tablet companies do MINIMAL TESTING.... shoe string devleopment spending, and make the users live with it! If it was not for Dev's and XDA people solving this stuff... I think Android OS would be a laughing stock of an OS!

In my short time being involved with Android OS, I will just say this........ IT IS OUT OF CONTROL! Most people would have thrown thier devices OUT THE WINDOW had it not been for USER ROMs and fixes found on the Web.....

But maybe.... that is the nature of the beast! Think about it... if you were a company and did not want to spend a HUGE amount of development costs on a good ROM..... Put it out and let the user community do all the work! What a freakin cost saving approach!

Sorry seems like the way of the world lately... Put out JUNK and let people figure it out.... Support? What is that?

Alas.... that is why Will and I created FreakTab

Bob

Comment

Glad to know I was not going crazy.

There still is a bug, or a least a pain. This rom's storage is patitioned 3 ways. Internal, sd, and external sd. Everything gets install to the internal. I have to use titinium to move it to the external card to free space.

I have used rom toolbox to have it install to the card but it goes to internal sd.

I can live with this bug.

Comment

Actually thats not really a bug!

If you search Google for "internal vs external sdcard" you will see this is a very controversial issue. Some ROM makers mount both and some do not as to avoid having APP issues that are not compatible with knowing about a external sdcard. This is all jacked up due to how the evolution of Android over time has changed and how it handles sdcard mounting.

Here is a nice post on XDA explaining the issue:

It's a noobish question, but I'm still a bit confused as to the internal vs external sd card usage. I know that in some ROMs (currently using SHOstock) the internal 12GB sd is under /mnt/sdcard and the external is under /mnt/sdcard/external_sd...

Here is a post on XDA that tells you how to solve this yourself.

I do not like how the internal sdcard is the default data storage instead of the external sdcard. I've had to factory reset a couple times now and all app data, downloads, etc.. were erased. That and if something happens to the phone the data...

Bob

Comment

Working...
                                X