[rom]dochoppyfullonrootv1.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shrubby View Post
    I had been trying the first step but every time i try to enable root explorer i get the followng messages:

"ES file explorer has been granted superuser permission"
    Then
    "Sorry test failed, this feature cannot run on your phone"

The root explorer button then becomes gayed out and you have to go out of the menu and back in to get it back to being able to be checked.

Anyone seen this before?
    One thing I did notice is even though it errors out, you can still get to the /system, where before applying root explorer you could not. I think it errors out because ES cannot put the /system back to ro status.

If anyone has root explorer on their nextbook 7 premium, could you try setting /system back to ro? I am between flashes at the moment ( working on next release...) I will flash 1.0 again later to check but I couldn't remember off the top of my head..... Sucks getting old...

Comment

This came up in my ROM for the Polaroid. Root explorer for me has no problem toggling /system between RW and RO. However chidave09 said a few apps he used like the busybox installer came back with an error that it could not set ro. So I am not sure if root explorer has a bug and reports ro incorrectly, or if the other apps have some issue.

The REAL way to tell whats going on is go onto the market and download a terminal emulator. It's a free app. Open that and do type: SU
      Then type: df. df will list all the partitions and what the mount status is.

Hope this helps troublshoot. I myself have not tried this test yet as I been too busy in the kitchen

Bob
      "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
      "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
      "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
      "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
      "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
      "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
      "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
      "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
      "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

astro works too

Why not use astro

Comment

I just purchased a Nextbook 7P with SN 1211. It's my first tablet and my first android device. I've craved a tablet ever since the Notion Ink Adam videos first surfaced. Financial pressure has resulted in my decision to buy a cheap tablet, and I found this at Big Lots and bought it on impulse. I knew that I would want to root it if possible, so a little googling brought me here.

I have 2 questions:

1. Which ROM should I use, DocHoppy's or Finnless Bob's, and why?

2. Is anyone willing to "hold my hand" and let me bombard them with PMs (so I don't spam the forum with stupid questions)? I know there's a forum search and a FAQ and all that, but man it's just easier to ask somebody and get a reply.

Thanks for your understanding!

One last question: How long should it take to fully charge from a dead battery? The status has been stuck at 99% for about 2.5 hours now. The red light is still on, too.

Comment

Welcome!!! So let me add some comments please.

DO NOT WORRY about spamming the forum with questions. See our motto on the logo?
            Please post questions! This is how others learn! Responses and discussions are information others can find useful later! So have at it... I say don't do it in PMs as no one else gets the knowledge. Make sense?

As for which ROM to use. Try them both! You have nothing to lose. Use titanium backup (free) to backup apps and stuff. Then you can flash Docs ROM, install stuff, play with it and say... "I want to try the other ROM". Flash it and use titanium to restore apps and data, your back FAST! So you can try both ROMS. I know I would if it was me

AS for the battery and 99%... Let me tell you the issue. If the tablet is ON and charging, the processor and what not is burning power. So the charging circuit is trying to balance that. Sometimes depending on how many apps are running in the background, it never makes it to 100%!!!!! Turn it off and it will trust me.

As for charge time, If I get my Tab down to 10% and it shuts off, it takes about 4-5 hours to fully charge. That’s my Arnova. Can't speak for this Tab and it's charger.

Hope this helps and Welcome to FreakTab!
            Bob

Comment

Hi and thanks for the warm welcome

One thing everyone who's reviewed this tablet is disappointed with is the fact that it has no camera or mic. In cases like this, has anyone ever successfully used a USB camera with a built-in mic? Not on this tablet, but on any android tablet? I mean, is it possible?

EDIT: I answered my own question, apparently there are some experiments going on with the Nook Color, that's about it...
              Last edited by McMick; 02-10-2012, 02:21.

Comment

OK, so I left it off while charging overnight. The light was amber. I woke up a few minutes ago and the light is still amber. Leaving the power cord attached, I turn on the unit, and SURPRISE! It says "99%" and "Charging".

Do I have a defective battery or something?

EDIT: OK, I guess the thing is just weird. I turned it back off; I typed the first part of this post. I turned it back on; now the thing says "Charged".

I just downloaded "Titanium Backup" in an .apk package. I assume I should transfer this to the unit. I think I want to "factory reset" the unit, then install Titanium Backup, then back everything up (does titanium also back up the factory ROM?).

I don't have an SD card for the unit yet. Will this matter when I flash the unit?

Another weird thing: When I was playing with this thing yesterday, I couldn't get the Weather app to set to my city to save my life. It just showed "New York" and displayed the wrong time. Today it's working fine and shows the right city!

EDIT: Titanium backup says it requires the device to be rooted already. What can I use to make a backup of the factory ROM?
                Last edited by McMick; 02-10-2012, 14:30.

Comment

You need to have an SDCard to backup to. Without it when you flash and erase IDB all in memory will be erased! Titanium backup does not back up the ROM.
                  To make a backup of factory ROM either download it from the manufacturers web site or install drivers and use ADB command shell to backup the ROM (difficult).

On most of these tablets location services does not work trying to find your location over Wifi. This is a known issues and some are looking into how to fix it.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post
                    You need to have an SDCard to backup to. Without it when you flash and erase IDB all in memory will be erased! Titanium backup does not back up the ROM.
                    To make a backup of factory ROM either download it from the manufacturers web site or install drivers and use ADB command shell to backup the ROM (difficult).

On most of these tablets location services does not work trying to find your location over Wifi. This is a known issues and some are looking into how to fix it.

Bob
                    I bought an SD card yesterday, so no worries there. I have a 1211 model, so no ROM available yet on website. I downloaded the Android SDK. What add-on packages will I need to do the command line backup? My Android version is 2.3.1 with kernel version 2.6.32.37, according to the tablet. Build # is "V2.0.24.GINGERBREAD.eng.root.20111125.180332_HW:2 .0.0.0.0".
                    I really want to flash this thing but I am unwilling to do so unless I have an exact backup copy of the ROM it was shipped with.

Comment

Everyone with 1211 is flashing with 1011 and saying it is fine. If you really need a backup your going to have to use ADB and dump the ROM.

This is not for the faint of heart and takes some learning. You also have to install the ADB drivers which is not that easy (you have to do a force driver install).

I don't have time right now to explain how to do all that. Hopefully someone will jump in and explain the entire process. Later I will try to document this.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post
                        Everyone with 1211 is flashing with 1011 and saying it is fine.Bob
                        Knowing that, I went ahead and flashed with your ROM and everything went according to plan! I had no trouble with Android Market, btw. I was able to associate the device with my existing google account and everything went swimmingly.

I suppose now, I just need to figure out which apps are best for this tablet!

Comment

Originally posted by McMick View Post
                          Knowing that, I went ahead and flashed with your ROM and everything went according to plan! I had no trouble with Android Market, btw. I was able to associate the device with my existing google account and everything went swimmingly.

I suppose now, I just need to figure out which apps are best for this tablet!
                          Try this link it is the top Android Apps for 2011, but still should be relevant

Please consider donating to purchase tablets for Finless Bob to continue his work. This will help in the creation of custom roms and build an even stronger development base for our community. Thank you for you support!

PLEASE CLICK THE DONATE BUTTON BELOW

<form action="https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr" method="post">
                          <input type="hidden" name="cmd" value="_s-xclick">
                          <input type="hidden" name="hosted_button_id" value="3GN5JFZXXQLCA">
                          <input type="image" src="http://www.freaktab.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=565&d=1341333954&thumb =1" border="0" name="submit" alt="PayPal — The safer, easier way to pay online.">
                          https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_GB/i/scr/pixel.gif
                          </form>

Comment

Rooting Next7P Premium serial # YF1211 steps

Can anyone help I have been trying to root my tablet for a while now with no luck.
                            I can't find it anywhere in the forum. Thank you for any help.

Originally posted by Shrubby View Post
                            I had a hard time gettingthe drivers to load also. It kept using the ones from my android phone.
                            I finally found thses instructions in finless bob's package.
                            Hope it's ok to post it here otherwise mod's can delete.

Extracted from nextbook7p_test_v1_21_market.zip file

Drivers:
                            This rom requires you use the RK29update.exe utility. In order to use this tool
                            you will need to install the RK29 drivers. They are supplied with this package for both
                            Windows 32bit and 64bit.
                            Installing the drivers is a little tricky.

If you already have the drivers installed your all set. If not you will need to install them.
                            This is the easy way to do it. Make sure the power cord is connected! This is important in case your battery is low.

1) I usually remove the SDCard while the unit is off before I start
                            2) Plug in the USB cable to the Nextbook and to your PC.
                            DO not worry if the tablet is on. It may power on when you plug in the cable anyway.
                            3) Open the computer's device manager.
                            4) Stick a pin in the reset hole and release. Your screen will turn black
                            7) Windows should complain that it could not install the device and may ask to look for drivers.
                            That's OK. Close and driver dialogs, etc.
                            6) Open the device manager in control panel. You should see a device listed as unknown with a yellow symbol in it
                            RIGHT click on it and select "Update Driver".
                            7) You will get a dialog asking to search or browse my computer for the driver. Click Browse
                            8) On the next screen click the browse button. A file manager will open.
                            Now remember I told you to unzip this package to somewhere you know how to find it like the desktop?
                            Using the file manager point to this package, Click on the driver folder.
                            Then click on the folder for 32bit or 64bit depending on your OS.
                            Now click on your OS version, e.g. Win7, etc.
                            The OK button should now be available to click OK.
                            At this point the driver should install. If not start over
                            9) Once the driver installs you should now see a device at the top of the list called"
                            Class for rockusb devices. If you expand that it will show a RK29 Device. Do not worry about the ? on it.

Flashing the ROM:
                            OK drivers are installed and we can now flash the Nextbook 7 Premium
                            The RKAndroid tool (RK29update.exe) is different than the recovery flash tool and the update.img roms.
                            With this tool you will be flashing the basic image files. e.g. Kernal.img, boot.img, etc.
                            THis is the ONLY way to flash my ROM.

1) The nextbook 7 only has one hard button, power. No hard volume buttons.
                            2) Attach usb cable and plug in power cable.
                            3) Depress reset button (pinhole on back of unit). Screen should go dark. You are now in flash mode.
                            4) I have setup the config.ini file so all the IMGs are already set in the tool.
                            You do not need to change anything there and you should not or you may brick your device!
                            Do not mess with the values for offset either. Guaranteed to brick your device
                            5) At the bottom the tool should say "NO Found RKAndroid Rock USB (Unless you're already in recovery mode already).
                            If your device is connected and in recovery mode the tool should say "Found RKAndroid Loader Rock USB"
                            If not then you need to but the device in recovery mode as explained above for driver install.
                            You cannot proceed unless the tool says it found your device
                            6) OK all of the check boxes on the left should be checked EXCEPT Loader and backup.
                            Leave backup unchecked but check the loader check box (optional).
                            Note: Most the Arnovas currently have loader 2.06. This will update yours to 2.08.
                            Both 2.06 and 2.08 work so if you don't want to update your loader leave it unchecked
                            I just go ahead and update to 2.08 for possible future stuff
                            7) Before you click the run button click the EraseIBD. I have had some strange flashes by not doing that.
                            After about 1 minute or so the tool should pop up a box telling you it is done. Click OK.
                            8) Now it's time to flash. Click the Run button and let it do its thing. It will take about 3 minutes or so.
                            9) On the right panel is the status of what it is doing. When it completes it will say done.
                            If any errors occurred they will be in red. You should NOT have any errors.
                            10) At this point the Arnova will reboot and go into recovery screen and format the system.
                            Let it continue and it will reboot again and then boot into the Android OS.

Since I do not know how to put the Nextbook into flash mode (as I do not have one)
                            you are on you own here. Hopefully someone will contrinute to this readme and write the instructions.

Comment

help

no downoad link please provide me with one.thnx

Comment

Have NX700QC16GB Need best ROM closest to Lolllipop 5.0, applied firmware for 4.4.2 would like best ROM

Comment

Working...
                                X