Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Helios ROM v1.0 - Tesco Hudl

Hi all,

I have tried to pull together all the different bits that people have been doing into one ROM for the Hudl. This ROM started life as TabbieDroid by hal2710 and has been worked on by me since.

Before I get into the ROM I would like to say a huge thanks to 900supersport for all his help. Not only has he created a brilliant kitchen that allowed me to start work on this rom but has also provided me with loads of help and information along the way, thanks mate. Also on this list of thanks are hal2710 for the his work on the recovery and boot images, PaulOBrian for the stock image and CaptainMidnight for implanting the Tesco update and fixing the loop issues.

Right the ROM, this is still a work in progress and I am learning both Android dev and Linux from scratch. I am also a full time mature student so although I will be working on the ROM to improve it and add new features please don't expect it to happen over night.

ROM Features so far:

Android 4.2.2 with Tesco .200812 update - No bootloops
    KitKat 4.4 Launcher with GoogleNow
    Full init.d support
    Rooted
    Busybox
    Zipaligned
    All Tesco Bloatware removed.
    CWM Recovery
    Some added scripts to hopefully speed things up a little.

Install:

Right install is a little different then the stock images. We now have a program called RKAndroidTool that will allow us to flash individual images should it be needed. The process is very similar to before.

1. Download the zip file attached. http://www.freak-tab.de/900superspor...ios_rom_1_0.7z

2. Download and install 7zip if you don't have it. http://www.7-zip.org/download.html

3. Extract the zip to a folder of your choice.

4. Put your tablet into flash mode (Bootloader) by holding down the VOL-UP and pushing a pin into the reset hole on the back.

5. When Windows pings and locates the device install the supplied drivers in the extracted folder if you don't already have them installed.

6. Run RKAndroidTool.exe - Once run it should state "Found" at the bottom of the program. If not then either you don't have the tablet in flash mode or you have not got the drivers installed.

7. Select boxes 2-3-4-5-6-7. DO NOT SELECT BOX ONE and click flash.

8. Once the flash is complete the tablet will reboot into the recovery. From here use the volume buttons to select "wipe data/factory reset". When that is finished again use the volume buttons to select "reboot system now". This will then ask you is you want to "disable recovery flash" select YES

Your tablet should now be booting into the OS. You will still have to wait for the Tesco update to complete. Once the update is completed and you are in the OS you must reboot straight away so as to remove the rest of the Tesco bloatware. There is a handy app on this ROM made by Petrus here on FreakTab that will give you a reboot menu (Thanks Petrus). Once you have rebooted and the ROM is bloatware free I hope you enjoy it.

This will be the main thread for problems and assistance, I think it only fitting that the site receive the attention as they have spent so much of their time help me and getting this ROM up and running.

If I have forgotten to mention anyone that has help in anyway please just shout.

Hope you enjoy it and if you can help with the building, modding or anything else give me a shout.

Cheers

Blinky
    Last edited by 900supersport; 02-17-2014, 18:07. Reason: Updated link to ROM

help

before I do number 4 in list does my hudl have to be rooted and is it ok to go ahead with this if I already have the latest update

Comment

No to being rooted, this ROM is rooted. The update you have will be there when its flashed.

Follow the steps and you'll be good mate.

Anything else just shout

Blinky

Comment

cheers

thanks for the quick reply bought the hudl for my wife for Christmas seems to be a great little tablet keep up the great work when u get chance thanks again for the info

Comment

Not a problem mate, everything working OK?

Will try and do some more on it soon.

Blinky

Comment

Will try it tomorrow let u know outcome

Comment

Have just flashed this. Other than my laptop failing to install the supplied drivers - successfully used the ones i got elsewhere - everything went exactly to plan. Currently leaving it to reinstall all my apps from google play, so far so good. Will report back.

Nice boot animation

Comment

Hello blinkydamo,

Congratulations on your ROM. Fellow Dev.

Hal2710

Comment

Originally posted by bruhv View Post
                  Have just flashed this. Other than my laptop failing to install the supplied drivers - successfully used the ones i got elsewhere - everything went exactly to plan. Currently leaving it to reinstall all my apps from google play, so far so good. Will report back.

Nice boot animation
                  Glad to hear it went OK, let me know if you need anything.

Originally posted by hal2710 View Post
                  Hello blinkydamo,

Congratulations on your ROM. Fellow Dev.

Hal2710
                  Cheers mate, took a while but up and running now. Think I figured out the zip problem, will message you later .

Comment

worked great had to manually install drivers and uninstall some Tesco stuff that was still on there seems to be no way to trash app short cuts from the screen thanks keep up good work

Comment

Originally posted by steevo View Post
                      worked great had to manually install drivers and uninstall some Tesco stuff that was still on there seems to be no way to trash app short cuts from the screen thanks keep up good work
                      Reboot the tablet and all the rest of the apps should be removed.

Comment

if I accidentally have 2 of the same shortcuts on the screen how do I get rid of 1 of them cheers

Comment

Originally posted by steevo View Post
                          if I accidentally have 2 of the same shortcuts on the screen how do I get rid of 1 of them cheers
                          Stand the tablet in portrait mode hold your finger on the icon and drag to "remove" at the top of the screen

How did you get on with the rest of the Tesco's junk?

Blinky

Comment

all gone my friend looking forward to more stuff from u awesome work

Comment

tesco apps

hello did another hudl yesterday and still had to remove some Tesco apps and blinkbox maybe you don't remove blinkbox in the custom firmware, another problem I have noticed is that the names below the apps is missing except the first top row of pixels just to let u know

Comment

Working...
                              X