Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Helios ROM v1.0 - Tesco Hudl

Originally posted by CaptainMidnight View Post
    Well now that I've expanded my Ubuntu partition I have more space to make current 'full' hudl backups via my script and can start playing with your Rom.

Thanks also for the mention - my unknown contribution was extremely minor, but happy you had some use for it.
    Good to hear your going to start cooking, I have just lost my Hudl, second one to die on me. I decided to upgrade to the new nexus 7 but I think I will still work with the Hudl room as I have a few idea's I would like to build into it. If you need any help getting started then I will be more then happy to help where i can and 900supersport is the man with all the knowledge.

Blinky

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Comment

Sorry to hear about your hudl, I must have got one out of the good batch - although still had it since close after launch, when blue was available.

I like the nexus 7, but was put off by way too many people having screen issues caused by what appeared to be static build-up, what with it's new case etc in the early days. Therefore for me the hudl was a no brainer but it just depends on build/production line quality at the end of the day.

I'm sure I'll take you up on your offer with some kitchen questions in time [what no 'ninja' emotion]

Comment

So....what I sent was/is redundant? Shame about your Hudl, is that the end?

Comment

Yeah I had my reservations about the screen problems to but so far haven't encountered any. Time will tell.

F451: I will continue to look at the hudl ROM as I enjoy it, and I have learnt more about android and Linux in the last couple of weeks then at any other time of using it.

I have all the kitchen setup and know what I want to do so will continue as soon as I can. Got to get uni exams out the way first.

This is not the end 😁

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by blinkydamo View Post
            Hi all,

I have tried to pull together all the different bits that people have been doing into one ROM for the Hudl. This ROM started life as TabbieDroid by hal2710 and has been worked on by me since.

Cheers

Blinky
            Hey Blinky,

Could you provide the source for the kernel? (or if you fancy taking a feature request...)

I'm looking to add a tweek found in another kernel, the Faux 'Ultimate' Kernel from XDA-Dev.
            Change log: http://faux.romhost.me/grouper/kk44/changelog.txt kernel files http://faux.romhost.me/grouper/kk44/ ES - http://faux.romhost.me/grouper/kk44/ Mainline - http://faux.romhost.me/grouper/kk44/ Ultimate -...

It has been tweaked to allow the usb power setting to be toggled manually by user software.
            You can see on this youtube vid someone demonstrating their own app which toggles the power direction of the usb to allow the tablet to be charged through the USB while OTG is being used for a keyboard/mouse/hard drive etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VRM5cISs4U

I am looking to make this work with the Hudl, hence me asking for the source to do it myself

When I get it to work, I'll return the source so you can include the addition to the next version

Comment

Hi,

This is the link to the original kernel source that was released by Tesco.

Or you can use the kernel that is packaged with this rom as it is unmodified.

Blinky

Comment

Originally posted by blinkydamo View Post
                Hi,

This is the link to the original kernel source that was released by Tesco.

Or you can use the kernel that is packaged with this rom as it is unmodified.

Blinky
                Ah, Thank you! Much apprechiated!!

Comment

Help to install Helios ROM via Linux

Hello, I am unable to get RKFlash Tools working under Windows , but I have a Linux live CD (Ubuntu) which I have already used to root the Hudl (Still on the old xx.020558 update from Tesco).
                  I would like to install the Helios ROM under Linux, but I need a little guidance.
                  I already have rkflastool-linux as supplied via MoDaCo as well as flash.hudl.linux script also from MoDaCo as part of the original root package, of which I have changed the name and contents slightly (sytem.img from system.root.img) details below:
                  Code:
                  #!/bin/bash
                  chmod +x ./rkflashtool-linux
                  ./rkflashtool-linux r 0x00142000 0x00200000 > system.backup.img
                  ./rkflashtool-linux w 0x00142000 0x00200000 < system.img
                  ./rkflashtool-linux b
                  My knowledge of Linux is rubbish, so I need to confirm which files to copy across and the correct commands, I have already copied across all the files from the zip to the root of the USB stick with Ubuntu
                  • system
                  • boot
                  • kernel
                  • misc
                  • parameter
                  • recovery
                  • rkflashtool-linux
                  • flash.hudl.linux.sh

Thanks in advance for some guidance with this little venture.
                  Paul

Comment

Give me a sec to switch to my laptop and I'll post a 'Helios' flashing script for Linux

EDIT:
                    Here you go, right firstly back everything up on the hudl that you don't want to loose - reason is the Helios ROM produced by Blinky corrects Tesco's production mistake(?) by including an incorrect 'kernel' image i.e. in the standard hudl stock ROMs, there's nothing in the kernel partition.

But the slight snag here is the Helios kernel is slightly bigger than the space allocated in the kernel partition and hence the parameter file is adjusted (this is where all the partitions are defined) and so, all the follow-on partitions end up being moved further up - just compare the stock parameter block and the new one outlined below.

In effectively a copy of a backup/restore script that was written over on MoDaCo, here is a Helios 'restore' script, you'll need all the elements from inside the Helios ROM folder and some tools (i.e. rkflashtool-linux, adb - this just reboots the hudl into bootloader mode)

helios_restore.sh script:-
                    Code:
                    [COLOR=#880000]#!/bin/bash

[/COLOR]chmod [COLOR=#666600]+[/COLOR]x [COLOR=#666600]./[/COLOR]rkflashtool[COLOR=#666600]-[/COLOR]linux

echo
                    echo
                    echo
                    echo
                    read [COLOR=#666600]-[/COLOR]p [COLOR=#008800]"About to RESTORE Your Hudl - PRESS ANY KEY to CONTINUE or CTRL-C to ABORT..."
                    [/COLOR][COLOR=#666600]
                    ./[/COLOR]adb reboot bootloader
                    sleep [COLOR=#006666]20

[/COLOR][COLOR=#666600]./[/COLOR]rkflashtool[COLOR=#666600]-[/COLOR]linux w [COLOR=#006666]0x0[/COLOR] [COLOR=#006666]0x2[/COLOR] [COLOR=#666600]<[/COLOR] parameter
                    [COLOR=#666600]./[/COLOR]rkflashtool[COLOR=#666600]-[/COLOR]linux w [COLOR=#006666]0x00002000[/COLOR] [COLOR=#006666]0x00002000[/COLOR] [COLOR=#666600]<[/COLOR] misc[COLOR=#666600].[/COLOR]img
                    [COLOR=#666600]./[/COLOR]rkflashtool[COLOR=#666600]-[/COLOR]linux w [COLOR=#006666]0x00004000[/COLOR] [COLOR=#006666]0x00006000[/COLOR] [COLOR=#666600]<[/COLOR] kernel[COLOR=#666600].[/COLOR]img
                    [COLOR=#666600]./[/COLOR]rkflashtool[COLOR=#666600]-[/COLOR]linux w [COLOR=#006666]0x0000A000[/COLOR] [COLOR=#006666]0x00008000[/COLOR] [COLOR=#666600]<[/COLOR] boot[COLOR=#666600].[/COLOR]img
                    [COLOR=#666600]./[/COLOR]rkflashtool[COLOR=#666600]-[/COLOR]linux w [COLOR=#006666]0x00012000[/COLOR] [COLOR=#006666]0x00010000[/COLOR] [COLOR=#666600]<[/COLOR] recovery[COLOR=#666600].[/COLOR]img
                    [COLOR=#666600]./[/COLOR]rkflashtool[COLOR=#666600]-[/COLOR]linux w [COLOR=#006666]0x00144000[/COLOR] [COLOR=#006666]0x00200000[/COLOR] [COLOR=#666600]<[/COLOR] system[COLOR=#666600].[/COLOR]img
                    [COLOR=#666600]
                    ./[/COLOR]rkflashtool[COLOR=#666600]-[/COLOR]linux b

echo [COLOR=#666600]=========================================================================================
                    [/COLOR]echo [COLOR=#666600]===[/COLOR] Helios on HUDL now restored [COLOR=#000088]and[/COLOR] REBOOTING[COLOR=#666600].[/COLOR] [COLOR=#660066]If[/COLOR] reboot fails[COLOR=#666600],[/COLOR] hold down power button[COLOR=#666600].[/COLOR][COLOR=#666600]===
                    [/COLOR]echo [COLOR=#666600]=========================================================================================[/COLOR]
                    Ensure the script helios_restore.sh is marked as executable:-
                    chmod +x helios_restore.sh

Sorry for the delay in editing this post.

Phil.
                    Last edited by CaptainMidnight; 01-04-2014, 20:22.

Comment

What a total PITA, why is it that AMD mobo's have such issues with doing custom firmware updates, as soon as I pluged it into my son's Intel PC it worked straight away. I tried every USB, all drivers are installed, yet only putting this on a 10 year old PC allowed it to work.

Other than that, thank you for such an easy custom firmware install. Honestly that was much easier than any other root/hack/CFW install ever. Thank you for all the time and energy you guys put into this wonderful job. Now can we go give a kicking to the Asus AMD mobo manufacturers.

Comment

I cant seem to get window to see the hudl in flash mode rocktools say no device connected, I'm new to android so very green.

Cheers.

Comment

Adhoc Wifi?

Hi

Does this ROM allow adhoc wifi to be connected?

Comment

Anyone?

If not via this ROM does anyone have another way to connect to adhocs?
                            I found a replacement wpa_supplicant file, on the web, but that killed the wifi altogether...

Thanks....

Comment

The links dead, anyone know where I can get a copy of the rom? Keen to give it a try, thanks.

Comment

.... if Freaktab link isn't fixed first, I can supply a personal link if required.

Comment

Working...
                                X