Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you stuck in Recovery Mode? Here's a fix.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For whatever reason...there are many....your device might get stuck in a never ending loop of booting to recovery instead of the system.

This is caused by an instruction in the misc.img file that somehow doesn't get cleared when you try to reboot to system.

Sure, you could solve this problem by completely flashing the ROM, but you would loose everything from your device and have to restore from a backup.

An easier, solution that will preserve all of your data is to flash an misc.img file that doesn't contain the command to boot to recovery. The default misc.img file in the ROM kit has that command, because on first boot, recovery has to format all of the data partitions on the device before the system can boot for the first time.

I dumped an misc.img file from a running tablet that is configured for normal use. I'm sharing it here as just another tool to help you out.

Download

To install this misc.img file...follow these steps:

1. Since you are stuck in recovery mode...unless the custom recovery you are using has a command to reboot to bootloader...you will need to manually place your device in flash mode (boot loader mode). Each tablet/stick is a little different regarding the button combinations you need to press. For most Pipo tablets, I've made a thread that explains how to do this. http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...ual-Flash-Mode For other devices, either consult the manufacturer's web site, or just try different combinations until you find it...(don't ask me, because I don't know every device's combination off the top of my head) All Rockchip devices have this...trust me.

2. Run the ROM_Flash_Tool in the ROM kit.

3. Uncheck all of the boxes in the left column except misc.img.

4. To the right of the misc.img line on the flash tool, there is a browse box you need to click...and direct the explorer screen to the misc_system.img you downloaded. I would just move this file into the RileyROM (or wherever your ROM files are located, if you are using a different ROM) folder so it would be easier to find.

5. Do NOT erase IDB, like you did when you flashed the whole ROM...if you do, you will just need to flash the whole ROM, anyway because it will erase your device and reformat the NAND chip.

6. Click Flash ROM.

7. In a split second, the misc.img will be flashed, your device will reboot to system. It doesn't take long, because the file is very small.

8. Take a breath, and then try to figure out what you did that caused the recovery loop in the first place, and try not to do it EVER again.
    Randy
    Freaktab Developer, Product Reviewer, Moderator and "Flashaholic".
    Read my BIO Here
    Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
    Donate here

Very cool fix. I remember the issue you described from the past. Now I know what happened.

JDfense -----> Nexus 7 2013

Comment

Originally posted by rrileypm View Post
      For whatever reason...there are many....your device might get stuck in a never ending loop of booting to recovery instead of the system.

This is caused by an instruction in the misc.img file that somehow doesn't get cleared when you try to reboot to system.

Sure, you could solve this problem by completely flashing the ROM, but you would loose everything from your device and have to restore from a backup.

An easier, solution that will preserve all of your data is to flash an misc.img file that doesn't contain the command to boot to recovery. The default misc.img file in the ROM kit has that command, because on first boot, recovery has to format all of the data partitions on the device before the system can boot for the first time.

I dumped an misc.img file from a running tablet that is configured for normal use. I'm sharing it here as just another tool to help you out.

Download

1. Since you are stuck in recovery mode...unless the custom recovery you are using has a command to reboot to bootloader...you will need to manually place your device in flash mode (boot loader mode). Each tablet/stick is a little different regarding the button combinations you need to press. For most Pipo tablets, I've made a thread that explains how to do this. http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...ual-Flash-Mode For other devices, either consult the manufacturer's web site, or just try different combinations until you find it...(don't ask me, because I don't know every device's combination off the top of my head) All Rockchip devices have this...trust me.

4. To the right of the misc.img line on the flash tool, there is a browse box you need to click...and direct the explorer screen to the misc_system.img you downloaded. I would just move this file into the RileyROM (or wherever your ROM files are located, if you are using a different ROM) folder so it would be easier to find.

5. Do NOT erase IDB, like you did when you flashed the whole ROM...if you do, you will just need to flash the whole ROM, anyway because it will erase your device and reformat the NAND chip.

6. Click Flash ROM.

7. In a split second, the misc.img will be flashed, your device will reboot to system. It doesn't take long, because the file is very small.

8. Take a breath, and then try to figure out what you did that caused the recovery loop in the first place, and try not to do it EVER again.
      The link to misc.img doesn't work!

Comment

Right Click on the link and select "save as". I'm not sure why, but it wants to load the file as a page, instead of downloading.
        Randy
        Read my BIO Here
        Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
        Donate here

Comment

Right Click on the link and select "save as". I'm not sure why, but it wants to load the file as a page, instead of downloading.
          Thank very much! is theat file different than the file with same name included in 1.8 KIt KAt for M6pro?

Comment

It's the same file.

I started putting it in the ROM kit, beginning with the M6 Pro ROM, so people wouldn't have to download it.
            Randy
            Read my BIO Here
            Donate here

Comment

I have this problem sometimes

Excuse me for being a little dumb, but do this work on either version of Android ie. KitKat 4.4.2?

Download

6. Click Flash ROM.

CR11S AP6210 Chipset
              CS968 MTK Chipset MT5981 - MT6622
              HTC-T018-V04

Comment

Are you stuck in Recovery Mode? Here's a fi

Yes.

Sent from my M7pro using FreakTab v0.1.
                Randy
                Read my BIO Here
                Donate here

Comment

Thank you for fast response!
                  My problem is that the problem occurs only sometime?
                  Sometimes everything works fine and sometime boots into recovery. Could your solution still be the right solution or is that only if you always get into a endless recovery boot loop?

Pejochto via Tapatalk
                  CR11S AP6210 Chipset
                  CS968 MTK Chipset
                  MT5981 - MT6622
                  HTC-T018-V04
                  CR11S AP6210 Chipset
                  HTC-T018-V04

Comment

Are you stuck in Recovery Mode? Here's a fi

What device are you using...and which ROM.

Sent from my M7pro using FreakTab v0.1.
                    Randy
                    Read my BIO Here
                    Donate here

Comment

I am using CR11S Ap6210 5Mpx with Quickshot 3.1 kitkat rom. Its really strange because its only intermittent (not always) you can boot 5 times into recovery TWRP and from there choose reboot to power off or system, and it works 2-3 times of 5 and then its stuck in recovery mode. I then reset with button a couple of times and then we do the procedure all over again ?

Pejochto via Tapatalk
                      CR11S AP6210 Chipset
                      CS968 MTK Chipset
                      MT5981 - MT6622
                      HTC-T018-V04
                      CR11S AP6210 Chipset
                      HTC-T018-V04

Comment

And now i "find" this thread! Just minutes after having to reflash my m9p because it got stuck in a boot loop.

Thank you for this Riley.

Now I am a little wiser than this morning.

Comment

Boot loop

Hi Randy, Tomorrow my Pipo M6 Pro WiFi with RR KitKat 1.8 got stuck in a never ending boot screen (yes, your psychedelic boot screen!) so I must do a reset to shut off the tablet; I can go in TWRP by pressing vol up and power buttons, but I'm not sure what to do in TWRP.
                          Do you think that flashing misc.img will solve the problem? How to go in flash mode with KitKat?
                          Thanks in advance.
                          P.S. Sorry for my english
                          Aldo
                          Something has gone wrong. When connected to pc via usb, in system device management the M6 is recognized as n70s and don't accept to install the MTK driver. So finless tool cannot be used.
                          I've tried also to flash the zip of the rom (placed in the external sd) with TWRP, but the process fails, in details I read: checking for MD5 file, noMD5 file found, error flashing file.
                          Is my tablet bricked?
                          Last edited by Almar; 06-19-2014, 16:17.

Comment

See if the flash tool sees the device, and click reboot to flash mode....or try the RKBatchTool and click the switch button.

In TWRP try clearing the cache. That might solve the booting problem before you resort to flashing the whole ROM.
                            Randy
                            Read my BIO Here
                            Donate here

Comment

Clearing dalvik cache in TWRP could help , too.

JD. ---> GT- I8160

Comment

Working...
                              X