Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Pipo M6 Pro] Wifi not working properly

After searching several days for a good chinese tablet,
    I decided to order the Pipo M6 Pro with built-in 3G.
    The first thing i did was to flash RileyRom 1.8 KitKat onto it.
    The Rom itself feels nice but after using youtube , playstore etc.
    I noticed the wifi connection was not stable at all.
    Reception seems to be good ( 48 Mbps , -56 dBm) but everytime
    I try to watch a video or listen to music, the stream doesnt
    Even start or needs about 20 seconds before it starts playing.
    I measured the speed and got ~15 Mbps which should be
    Enough for watching youtube videos or listening to music.
    Did someone encounter the same problem ?
    I tried the M9 wifi fix (paperboard under antenna) but it didnt help.
    Sometimes i get a message from Playstore saying it took to long to load.
    The M6 Pro does not disconnect from wifi , but the speed
    Is awfully slow sometimes, especially when watching videos (high data rate)

Sorry for my bad english

Originally posted by rebootix View Post
    After searching several days for a good chinese tablet,
    I decided to order the Pipo M6 Pro with built-in 3G.
    The first thing i did was to flash RileyRom 1.8 KitKat onto it.
    The Rom itself feels nice but after using youtube , playstore etc.
    I noticed the wifi connection was not stable at all.
    Reception seems to be good ( 48 Mbps , -56 dBm) but everytime
    I try to watch a video or listen to music, the stream doesnt
    Even start or needs about 20 seconds before it starts playing.
    I measured the speed and got ~15 Mbps which should be
    Enough for watching youtube videos or listening to music.
    Did someone encounter the same problem ?
    I tried the M9 wifi fix (paperboard under antenna) but it didnt help.
    Sometimes i get a message from Playstore saying it took to long to load.
    The M6 Pro does not disconnect from wifi , but the speed
    Is awfully slow sometimes, especially when watching videos (high data rate)

Sorry for my bad english
    Have you tried reinstalling the clean build of kitkat again? It might help

Comment

I didnt try that yet but. Maybe its just a Software Problem.
      Yesterday the m6 pro lost suddenly Internet connection. It was connected
      to wifi but everytime i Tried to load something the Browser (stock and Dolphin) said
      "Webpage not available" so i put it aside and went to sleep.
      Today i tried it again , but it didnt change from before. Yet after a reboot
      The Internet connection works again.

I'll flash the Rom again and report after that.

Comment

I didnt try that yet but. Maybe its just a Software Problem.
        Yesterday the m6 pro lost suddenly Internet connection. It was connected
        to wifi but everytime i Tried to load something the Browser (stock and Dolphin) said
        "Webpage not available" so i put it aside and went to sleep.
        Today i tried it again , but it didnt change from before. Yet after a reboot
        The Internet connection works again.

I'll flash the Rom again and report after that.
        Yeah seems like one time problem. Please report if problem persists.

Comment

I now flashed RileyRom 1.6.1 but it didnt help.
          Everytime i try to download something of Playstore the download rate drops to < 100 kb/s
          and the download freezes. after some time it speeds up but the same thing happens again and again.
          Its like the wifi speed crashes everytime the download speed goes over 2-3 Mb/s.
          My Wifi Router is set to b/g mode with WPA2 Security. I changed it to n mode but that didnt make
          any difference. wifi wasnt working properly on other wifi routers neither.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pipo.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	433306

I made a pic of the pipo after i opened it.
            This is how it looks like. Does anyone know which purpose the
            silver foil on the wifi antenna has (right side in the middle) ?
            I removed it but it didnt change anything, so i put it back on.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5745[/ATTACH]

I made a pic of the pipo after i opened it.
              This is how it looks like. Does anyone know which purpose the
              silver foil on the wifi antenna has (right side in the middle) ?
              I removed it but it didnt change anything, so i put it back on.
              That is for ground plane (the back of the display act as ground reference), it could help balancing the load (could improve signal, lowering noise, but not always works).

You could try also preparing a new antenna. I did it on my M6pro with very good results. There is a dedicated thread for antenna mod (page 3-4 of: http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...n-instructions )
              if you appreciate my efforts this is the link for any donation:
              https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...NonHostedGuest

Comment

@giouncino

Did you experience unstable wifi too with stock antenna ?
                I mean did your downloads freeze from time to time or were they constantly slow but working ?

After i read the thread you showed me, i'm considering to build one of these antennas.

I already thought it could be ground, but it isn't touching any metalic part of the back of the screen.
                It is just sticked onto the black label.

Where did you order your copper foil ?

Thank you for your response !

Comment

@giouncino

Did you experience unstable wifi too with stock antenna ?
                  I mean did your downloads freeze from time to time or were they constantly slow but working ?

After i read the thread you showed me, i'm considering to build one of these antennas.

I already thought it could be ground, but it isn't touching any metalic part of the back of the screen.
                  It is just sticked onto the black label.

Where did you order your copper foil ?

Thank you for your response !
                  No, I decided to change the coaxial cable to improve signal strenght, doing that I destroyed the stock antenna then I decided to build one by myself with very good result.
                  In my M6pro the foil was sticked to the back of display on a metal part.

Now I've discovered that also the GPS antenna is not working properly on my tablet...and incredibly the stock GPS antenna (that is 7cm long) doesn't respect the rule of the half of GPS wavelenght (that should be more or less 9.5cm). Then I will prepare soon another antenna to replace the stock one.

I have had many problems to get the copper tape. You can order it from e-bay (taiwan or china). In the end I got a piece of tape at work, so that I saved much time...

Comment

Just now I orderer a roll from ****. It should arrive Saturday .
                    Now playstore gives me "connection timed out" and WiFi settings say "Link Speed : 1Mbps" .
                    Are there any other problems which could cause this to happen ?

Comment

Just now I orderer a roll from ****. It should arrive Saturday .
                      Now playstore gives me "connection timed out" and WiFi settings say "Link Speed : 1Mbps" .
                      Are there any other problems which could cause this to happen ?
                      well done!
                      With a multimeter as soon as you remove the antenna take a look on short circuits.
                      Other than that I do not have any other advices at the moment...

Comment

I tried the DIY Anetanna , but the reception went from -65 dBm to ~ -80 dBm ... :/
                        Is there anything special i have to do while soldering ?

Comment

I tried the DIY Anetanna , but the reception went from -65 dBm to ~ -80 dBm ... :/
                          Is there anything special i have to do while soldering ?
                          1 - Did you try to leave unconnected the shield of the coaxial from the antenna?
                          2 - Did you try to electrically connect the "ground plane" (back of the display) to the antenna?

Try the combination:
                          A - only point 1,
                          B - only point 2,
                          C - both.

I'm on C configuration now.

Comment

On Thema Same Day i ordered the copper foil i ordered a laptop wifi antenna, too.

Do you think the laptop one performs better than the DIY ? I dont know wether i should change the coax with a new one which is attached to the laptop antenna, because i'm afraid i could damage the board. I have not much experience on soldering jobs , just watched some YouTube Tutorials and changed once the smd lights to blue ones in my vw Polo 6N Cockpit...

I think I will First try to attach the laptop antenna to the stock coax cable... if the reception will be as bad as it is now the problem shoud be the coax.
                            Is it possible that the wifi chip is damaged ?

Comment

On Thema Same Day i ordered the copper foil i ordered a laptop wifi antenna, too.

Do you think the laptop one performs better than the DIY ? I dont know wether i should change the coax with a new one which is attached to the laptop antenna, because i'm afraid i could damage the board. I have not much experience on soldering jobs , just watched some YouTube Tutorials and changed once the smd lights to blue ones in my vw Polo 6N Cockpit...

I think I will First try to attach the laptop antenna to the stock coax cable... if the reception will be as bad as it is now the problem shoud be the coax.
                              Is it possible that the wifi chip is damaged ?
                              I intended play with soldering on antenna side, not board side!
                              I solder the board side 2-3 times, it is not difficult, but I suggest you to NOT do anything on that side, could be dangerous for the board components.

Try the combinations I suggest you on my post above.

I don't know if a laptop antenna is better or not, let me know if for you makes any change.

Comment

Working...
                              X