X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[HOW TO]GPS by Bluetooth

Hi,

Following my experiment with bluetooth, I 've try using my GPS on my phone to have GPS on my tablet (M8 Pro).
    (You can use either a Bluetooth GPS receiver and I think a different tablet too)

To achieve this I use the following Apps on google play :

on the phone, 'GPS over BT'

on the tablet, 'Bluetooth GPS'

On the tablet, you need to make the following change if you want to be localized by Google Map for example.

The following values must be added to your /system/build.prop file
    You can make it simply by the app 'Build.prop Editor' on Google play.

gps.enable=true
    ro.com.google.locationfeatures=1

Then start the GPS on your phone
    and start the GPS over BT app.

On the tablet start the Bluetooth GPS App.
    It will turn on bluetooth if needed and can pair your device with your phone if it is not already done.

Click on the Connect button and check the 'Enable Mock GPS Provider' chechbox.

And Now you have a 10" GPS !

You can use any of GPS app, prefer an offline one to have the maps without data connection.

Thanks for the tip. Your post intrigue me to try this using my old Windows Mobile 6.1 smartphone and it works great. I'm using GPS2Blue app in Windows Mobile

Comment

Sv: [HOW TO]GPS by Bluetooth

Thanks helpt me to regards wikings1

From my daycruiser

Comment

Sv: [HOW TO]GPS by Bluetooth

Make this sticky

From my daycruiser

Comment

Worked for me using the stock ROM on my Pipo M8 Pro. Thank you!

Now, does anyone have a suggestion for a phone that doesn't kill the BT socket when it provides the WiFi to the tablet? I can get GPS signals to the tablet from the phone, but when I provide WiFi from the phone for Google Maps, I lose my Bluetooth signal. Everything works fine as long as I have another source of WiFi, other than the phone. I may also ask on XDA to see if this is an issue with FoxFi that can be resolved.

Currently using FoxFi on a Razr Maxx, JellyBean 4.1.2, Verizon.
          Tablet History:
          Pipo M8 Pro (current)
          NextBook W8.1 (sold)
          Asus TF300 (sold)
          Hyundai A7 (sold)
          Nextbook 7" (sold)

Comment

WiFi instead of Bluetooth?

FYI...

My Droid Razr Maxx was passing the GPS data to the tablet (Pipo M8 Pro) just fine. I could see sattelites and use the compass, plus other apps (Gas Buddy, etc.) could access the GPS data. Unfortunately, Google Maps wasn't receiving it. Mock locations were verified to be "on" in the tablet settings and "checked" in the app). I found other forums where this was happening to some users as well.

I tried TetherGPS instead (uses WiFi). Now everything works! No bluetooth required. Just run FoxFi for data and the TetherGPS server with no IP address assigned on the phone, and TetherGPS client on the tablet (with WiFi tethered to the phone as well) and Google maps/Navigation is happy

As a bonus, the tablet battery should last marginally longer with the BT radio off.
            Tablet History:
            Pipo M8 Pro (current)
            NextBook W8.1 (sold)
            Asus TF300 (sold)
            Hyundai A7 (sold)
            Nextbook 7" (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by Tybalt39 View Post
              FYI...

My Droid Razr Maxx was passing the GPS data to the tablet (Pipo M8 Pro) just fine. I could see sattelites and use the compass, plus other apps (Gas Buddy, etc.) could access the GPS data. Unfortunately, Google Maps wasn't receiving it. Mock locations were verified to be "on" in the tablet settings and "checked" in the app). I found other forums where this was happening to some users as well.

I tried TetherGPS instead (uses WiFi). Now everything works! No bluetooth required. Just run FoxFi for data and the TetherGPS server with no IP address assigned on the phone, and TetherGPS client on the tablet (with WiFi tethered to the phone as well) and Google maps/Navigation is happy

As a bonus, the tablet battery should last marginally longer with the BT radio off.
              Hi,

I think you need the following values that must be added to your /system/build.prop file
              You can make it simply by the app 'Build.prop Editor' on Google play.

gps.enable=true
              ro.com.google.locationfeatures=1

I don't know your rom, but you need also the file android.hardware.location.xml in system/etc/permissions

this file is included in Riley's Rom not included in stock rom:

Code:
              <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
              <permissions>
                  <feature name="android.hardware.location" />
                  <feature name="android.hardware.location.network" />
              </permissions>
              Just a question : your compass is good in your tablet ?

As I remember mine with my old Pipo M8Pro was not good, idem for my new M8HD

Battery will go longer with bluetooth on as with wifi on.

Comment

Originally posted by stevejc View Post
                Just a question : your compass is good in your tablet ?

As I remember mine with my old Pipo M8Pro was not good, idem for my new M8HD
                Thank you for your update.

By "compass", I was refering to the compass view within Bluetooth GPS, rather than a native compass on the tablet.

Still running the stock ROM, although I am getting more interested in trying the Riley ROM. I'm going to wait for his recently mentioned newest update.
                Tablet History:
                Pipo M8 Pro (current)
                NextBook W8.1 (sold)
                Asus TF300 (sold)
                Hyundai A7 (sold)
                Nextbook 7" (sold)

Comment

This is great information. I have stuck this thread.

BTW, I don't remember whether I added those lines in the last M8 Pro ROM to the build.prop, but I started adding them to my other ROM's for the last few months. So, all you should need is activate the appropriate settings and run the necessary apps.

Has anyone tried this with a KitKat ROM?
                  Randy
                  Freaktab Developer, Product Reviewer, Moderator and "Flashaholic".
                  Read my BIO Here
                  Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
                  Donate here

Comment

Is there a way to add this value your turn gps on without rooting because I have a Toshiba excite and it cannot be rooted, thanks

Comment

Make this sticky

Comment

Be carefull doin that with the M6 pro (built in, but really bad gps-module, i tought to get better gps signal with my holux GPS mouse)
                        After doin as you recommend, im in bootloop now with my pipo m6 &amp; Kasty ROM 4.2.2 So anyone should be carefull with changing build.prop as i knew earlier: shit happens :-)
                        Fixed the bootloop as described here
                        Last edited by borisku; 04-18-2014, 09:03.

Comment

Originally posted by borisku View Post
                          After doin as you recommend, im in bootloop now with my pipo m6 & Kasty ROM 4.2.2 So anyone should be carefull with changing build.prop as i knew earlier: shit happens :-)
                          Yes, modify build.prop is risky

If you have debug enable, you can put an correct version of build.prop through adb

Comment

GPS on HDMI Stick via USB From Mobile Hotspot?

I have a AT&T Elevate 4G LTE hotspot that is attached to the mk809iii via usb to get power and to provide wi-fi internet for the mk809iii. The AT&T Elevate has GPS. Does anyone know of an app or a way to tell the mk809iii to get the GPS coordinates from the AT&T elevate hotspot over USB, Wi-Fi, or Bluetooth so the mk809iii can have GPS to use google maps or the like?

Comment

Working...
                            X