Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've finally tested the antenna of elmachinegun ...
    It was difficult to cut the antenna from the tape but the final result is quite good. not as good as yours but good enough wrt to stock antenna and a HUGE improvement wrt iPad mini antenna.
    It is very interesting to see that an expensive tablet as iPad mini is, has a so BAD quality antenna inside.
    I suppose that this is compensated by a powerful wi-fi adpter...
    if you appreciate my efforts this is the link for any donation:
    https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...NonHostedGuest

Comment

Originally posted by giouncino View Post
      I've finally tested the antenna of elmachinegun ...
      It was difficult to cut the antenna from the tape but the final result is quite good. not as good as yours but good enough wrt to stock antenna and a HUGE improvement wrt iPad mini antenna.
      It is very interesting to see that an expensive tablet as iPad mini is, has a so BAD quality antenna inside.
      I suppose that this is compensated by a powerful wi-fi adpter...
      I'm glad you got it working finally.

Could we have a look at the final result?. I mean inside the Tablet.
      How did you arrange the antenna and wires.
      Did you connect the ground cable?
      Just to compare my layout and yours.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by elmachinegun View Post
        I'm glad you got it working finally.

Could we have a look at the final result?. I mean inside the Tablet.
        How did you arrange the antenna and wires.
        Did you connect the ground cable?
        Just to compare my layout and yours.

Good luck.
        I didn't take any picture, sorry...
        But I've used a low loss coaxial cable (not the stock one). Only inner connected.
        I didn't test the connection of the outer to the other arm of the antenna. I left it "floating"
        I connected the back of display with the antenna too (as you did). This is useful to normalize the impedance and works as a ground plane.
        if you appreciate my efforts this is the link for any donation:
        https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...NonHostedGuest

Comment

Originally posted by bobcntsa View Post
          hi, I just receive a m8hd and I noticed that I ve got a poor wifi signal, does anybody already tried any of these modification on it?
          thank you
          Hi I've got the same problem as you for my M8HD. 10db less than my Nexus 7

So I have tried to follow the advices here

So here my result posted in a french forum : see the translation : here

Now it's good for me, I have just moved the antenna and follow Madsega advices.

Thanks to all of you. I 'm very happy now with my M8HD

Comment

WiFi fix.

Just wanted to say that this method works (opening it up and replacing the wires to wifi and insulating the antenna).

My wifi went from 5 Mbps to 65 Mbps after doing this (-52 db)
            Did this 2 weeks ago and not once has it disconnectet from the router and is now very stable.

Thanks all you people for your tips and trix

Comment

Re: Pipo M9 Pro wifi antenna modification instructions

Originally posted by madsega View Post
              Hey guys,

I had the same problem with the WIFI as everyone else. Couldn't stay connected for more than 15 minutes, sometimes it would drop after 30 seconds or 2 minutes. After reading all the posts here and other forums about replacing the wires, yesterday I thought I'd give it a shot.

Before replacing the wires, I wanted to try something I read elsewhere (where they said there's no reason to replace the wires).

I unglued (not unsoldered!) the wifi adapter from the case, cut a piece of thicker paper to fit between the case and the wifi adapter and placed it between the two. Then I put the adapter back in the original position (on top of the paper), put 3 stripes of insulating tape (image below) over it to shield it(?), and the original scotch tape that was over it.
              I just wanted to thank you for this information and instructions. It took me two tries to get it right, but I ended up using a little more insulation tape/paper the second time that got me a solid steady 65Mbps connection.

It's made a world of difference on my M9 Pro.

Thanks again!

LDN

Sent from my M9Pro using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by LazyDogNet View Post
                I just wanted to thank you for this information and instructions. It took me two tries to get it right, but I ended up using a little more insulation tape/paper the second time that got me a solid steady 65Mbps connection.

It's made a world of difference on my M9 Pro.

Thanks again!

LDN

Sent from my M9Pro using Tapatalk
                Great find Thanks.The paper trick did the job for me very well and it is easy to do.Now my WiFi is better than ever and did not have a single disconnect since I did the paper trick!
                Once again Thank you😀

Comment

+1 here for the "finless method". I just removed the ground connection (the shielded part) of the cable, and I had a huge improvement both on connection quality and stability. Should I add the "tape method" for further improvement?
                  Thanks guys, you really helped me.

Comment

Why do you all have bad wifi mine is excellent no wifi drops
                    Link speed all time above 60 mbps

Am i just lucky or what?

Comment

Most people don't have that problem....there is just a percentage of tablets that make it off the assembly line with crappy soldering connections to the wifi antenna. Rather than spending $50 to send it back...it's just as easy to re-solder it yourself...if you are good with a soldering iron.
                      Randy
                      Freaktab Developer, Product Reviewer, Moderator and "Flashaholic".
                      Read my BIO Here
                      Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
                      Donate here

Comment

what if you're not, i have a bad wifi but never have solded.

Comment

Originally posted by skippie View Post
                          what if you're not, i have a bad wifi but never have solded.
                          Fret not, if you're not good with soldering or want to be "less invasive", you can use the papercard/tape trick:

Comment

Confused what to do

Hi people! I (more than my tablet) am suffering from it's wifi connection losses. So wifi drops randomly regardless of the settings, even after official ROM flash to 4.2.2. that made the OS more usable but NOT wifi. I was reading posts on this thread and got confused because the YT videos don't seem to match my situation.

The photo is attached but just in case here is the original:

For starters I don't see anything large connected to the motherboard that would justify insulation tape and cardboard. The silver thingy numbered as 3 is that sticky tape an actual connection of the Wifi antenna because it looks like that under 5 is the antenna.

If just simple insulation tape fix is out of the question for me should I re-solder black wire number 1, 2 or 3?! Or should I disconnect one of them. One end of wire No. 2 is connected to the outer shell where speakers are mounted.

Let me just say that my WiFi signal reception and speed are fine for my needs the connection drops drive me crazy!

ONTOPIC:
                            X1. If I need to replace one or more of these black wires I should look for coax wires when I am buying new ones? The point is not in the thickness of insulation around the copper but about RF shielding around it?

OFFTOPIC: Other questions that are not so vital to me but still thank you for your answers:
                            1. How to improve GPS signal reception?
                            2. Where is the internal SD card situated? Is it soldered to the MBO or removable?
                            3. When my batteries start loosing charge from old age and multitude of recharge cycles where do I get new battery packs? Are the ones used standard form factor? Also are they replaceable with moderate skill or is it very touchy and complicated and people should rather buy a new tablet?

I am asking all this because it's been a year since I bought this tab and for the grief it gave me, after I fix it I plan to ride it until the caps explode!

Thank you for all your help!
                            Attached Files

Comment

Try to desolder cables clean soldering ends of cables and points 1-2 ,then resolder carefully.The other end of cable 2 is an antenna which should be sticked on the opposite corner of antenna 4( at the end of line 5..) and not in the back case of tablet

Comment

Originally posted by tpapo View Post
                                Try to desolder cables clean soldering ends of cables and points 1-2 ,then resolder carefully.The other end of cable 2 is an antenna which should be sticked on the opposite corner of antenna 4( at the end of line 5..) and not in the back case of tablet
                                Thank you for your help tpapo!

What should I do with far end of No.2 should I desolder and move it closer to No.5 and use sticky tape?

Comment

Working...
                                X