Pipo M8 Pro 4.2.2 RileyROM 1.6 with SDK 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pipo has released both the Wifi Only AND 3G versions of their latest ROM featuring Rockchip's SDK 2.0.

This new ROM has all the usual RileyROM features:

Rooted
    Debloated
    2,4,6,8,10 or 12gb user app space
    Init.d Support
    Busybox Support
    Working CWM Recovery
    Boot Graphics by Tattman65
    Reboot App by Petrus
    Flash Tool by 900SuperSport

On the wifi version I added newtorklocation.apk which was missing in the factory firmware. I took it from the 3G version for the M8 Pro.

I know I have been asked to include other features, but I'm currently on vacation, and simply don't have the time to experiment. Plus, My test M8 Pro died the other day...first day on vacation, I let the battery discharge all the way to zero and couldn't get it to charge.

Thanks to Geekbuying for sending me out a new tablet right away. It should arrive before I get back from vacation. (It arrived in record time...2 days from China). Thanks, Eric.

I'm looking forward to flashing this new ROM, myself. But I'll be happy to hear about your experience with it.

Download

If this is the first time you are flashing one of our ROM's, you may encounter some challenges in installing Windows drivers. Please download this First Time User Guide to help you throught he process:

Download

If this ROM makes a difference for you, please consider a donation to support future RileyROM's here at Freaktab.com Donate!!!

Last edited by rrileypm; 07-13-2013, 20:55.
    Randy
    Freaktab Developer, Product Reviewer, Moderator and "Flashaholic".
    Read my BIO Here
    Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
    Donate here

Hi,

Thanks for your hard job.
    I saw that in the WIFI only version the NetworkLocation.apk is missing.

Do you think that can be a problem ?

Comment

I didn't notice that. And I didn't remove it. Maybe that function is elsewhere now.

Randy
      Randy
      Read my BIO Here
      Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
      Donate here

Comment

Originally posted by rrileypm View Post
        I didn't notice that. And I didn't remove it. Maybe that function is elsewhere now.
        Randy
        AHAH! THIS is why lambstone got wifi-location working with MetaRom V002 ! The bloody file is missing ! He said he fixed it, it "wasn't a bug" - but wouldn't say more. Sneaky bugger :P

Randy, I'll send you the file in a few minutes. I was trying something out with the charger, and had to do a hard reset by reboot2flash. My reset button seems defective - need to pop this baby open soon.
        Support your local flasher
        Current devices : Pipo MAX M8 Pro - Samsung Galaxy S4 - Intel NUC

Comment

Did you get another bad power button?

Randy
          Randy
          Read my BIO Here
          Donate here

Comment

Nope - power button is working fine. But the reset button doesn't. I hope it is just out of allignment. Every socket seems 2/3rds mm opff (the mainboard is off), so when I put a paper clip in the reset hole, it just goes whirling around in there, at different angles and depths, without actually hitting the reset button cap. Its because of this I'd love a capacity of shutting down the tablet with only hw button operation. Without a working reset button - every time the tablet freezes or sticks in boot - it has to be rebooted or shut down by usb connection (Reboot2flash, Switch etc - depending on what program). I need to figure out the ADB commands for reboot or shutdown - incase this happens with usb debugging enabled :S

This also means - if I'm out and the tablet or touchscreen freezes - im totally scr*wed with a powered on tablet, until I get home to my own computer. I'm going for 2 weeks to Bulgaria soon - was thinkin only bringing this fine tablet - but with this situation, I don't have the balls. Need the laptop too. So I can reboot my tablet :sigh

Comment

Originally posted by pr0xZen View Post
              Nope - ... Every socket seems 2/3rds mm opff (the mainboard is off)... :sigh
              From Randy's experience and yours, Pipo's Quality Assurance process appears inadequate. I just wonder what I'll find wrong with my tablet when it gets in.

pr0xZen, does this new firmware fix the issues you reported with wifi stability in ROM 1.5?

Comment

Yes and no on the Wi-Fi. With the latest ROM, wifi is great. Can't get any better without an USB wifi module with high signal strenghts and a high-gain / directional antenna. At first there was a general wifi issue, but at some point that got fixed in firmware. A little embarrasing to say, /my/ specific problem turned out to be that the pipo wont play nice with my cheap-*ss chinese secondary router. If I connect to my primary router, or connect to my secondary router through a wifi repeater - its all good. So just an unlucky combination that I don't bother with sorting out, as it works great when connecting to it through a cheap wall-socket repeater, And - I have 2 routers anyway.

Seeing what you get for the price paid - its hard to beat Pipo's current line of tablets. They perform very well in more or less all aspects, and have something FAR from most other manufacturers have; Responsive and knowledgable, english competent customer support. Even better; A high frequency of updates.

If you make the same effort in researching /potensial/ issues with a specific /different/ tablet - I'm sure you'll find equal reports of issues and problems. When digging for faults, we will eventually find faults
                Fact is, quality control wise - pipo tablets are currently some of the best from china at the moment. You can get better, but is it worth double plus, pricetag?

And if you're going to "experiment" with it, then a moderate price tag is a good thing. Say you buy an Asus TF700T Infinity, a Nexus 10 or a Samsung Note 10.1. These will cost you up to 4 times the price, but with similar performance and only sligtly better quality. Sure you got local warranty - but this is where experimenting with flashing roms and "fiddling" with root etc, comes in. If you experiment with roms and brick it, or is unable to flash stock rom AND zero out flash counters etc - then thats half a thousand+ dollars lost, instead of 2-250.

The choice is yours - and you get what you pay for - but IMO, with pipo - you get ALOT of bang for your buck

Note: As I haven't opened up the back and actually checked the reset button yet - it /is/ possible that the problem is "user error"
                Last edited by pr0xZen; 07-05-2013, 02:13.

Comment

Thanks for the reassurance pr0xZen,
                  I understand I took a gamble. I am just trying to get a feel of how big a risk I took.
                  Hopefully, if my tablet comes in with a non-functional power button, or does not charge, or cannot reset because one of the best quality controls in China failed to spot one such minuscule issue, I hope I'll be able to get an exchange tablet in a few weeks as I selected a retailer (Merimobiles) with a better reputation than yours.

I keep hoping these are rare occurrences and that it won't happen to me as I really need the tablet for my forthcoming trip.

If it does happen, as it did to you and to Randy, I won't feel much comfort in knowing that I will be able to play with various updated ROMs on an exchange tablet on my return.

Comment

I'm sure it'll work out fine. But shuld you be seriously unfortunate, you know where to find us

Considering that this has been available for almost 3 months, and both the m8pro and m9 is selling like cold beer on a sunny saturday afternoon - I wouldn't worry too much. The actual number of people reporting problems that weren't user fault, misunderstandings or already fixed by now through firmware updates - is suprisingly low.
                    The most common problem people are reporting, by FAR, is problems installing the drivers for flashing. And thats a windows problem, not the drivers. I suggest you give me a heads up before you get that far, and I'll help you "forcefeed" it the correct drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by pr0xZen View Post
                      I'm sure it'll work out fine. But shuld you be seriously unfortunate, you know where to find us
                      The most common problem people are reporting, by FAR, is problems installing the drivers for flashing. And thats a windows problem, not the drivers. I suggest you give me a heads up before you get that far, and I'll help you "forcefeed" it the correct drivers.
                      Many thanks for the offer of help. I will indeed install the latest RileyROM when it comes in as I feel too vulnerable without CWM and Titanium.

With 2 PCs here, XP 32bit and win7 64bit, I should be able to find a combination that works for the drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by pan2fire View Post
                        Many thanks for the offer of help. I will indeed install the latest RileyROM when it comes in as I feel too vulnerable without CWM and Titanium.

With 2 PCs here, XP 32bit and win7 64bit, I should be able to find a combination that works for the drivers.
                        Both XP and Win7 is fairly ok to work with when it comes to drivers - some prefer XP as it isn't as "agressive" when it comes to USB "plug'n'play". Vista though, seems to be another story. Fairly fresh drivers, both 32 and 64bit are readily available - from XP/2000 and up to Win8.

Comment

There is a way to disable automatic installation of drivers. I can't remember how it is done. It is a checkbox somewhere in control panel.

I fought Windows 7 64bit for over a year...and then it just started working.

It is just Freaking Magic.

Randy
                          Randy
                          Read my BIO Here
                          Donate here

Comment

First of all, thx for making us enjoy the Pipo M8 Pro even more

Just finished flashing RileyRom 1.6 and it works like a charm. However, after flashing I can't connect with my PC [W8] anymore? Tried to delete the drivers and install them again, but that doesn't seem to work.
                            It looks like the Pipo is connected, I can see it in my devices, but it doesn't "pop up". Also on the tablet, I see - after "connecting with USB" the loader-icon, which keeps spinning. Can't remember if that's as it should be? Any help would be appreciated!

Another thing, is it possible to change the bootup-loader to the original bootup-loader in the next RileyROM? No offence, but I dare not to look at it anymore Thanks in advance!

Keep up da good work!!!

UPDATE
                            I tried a couple of reboots and that seems to be succesfull. Also noticed a couple of Chinese apps which couldnt be deleted. Something for the next ROM? :-)
                            Last edited by Sjorre; 07-05-2013, 15:31. Reason: Solved

Comment

I found out that the 3G version comes with Networklocation.apk, but the wifi version didn't.

This morning I added this app to the wifi ROM and I'm uploading it. I will change the link on the download page to version "1.6a" when it is finished uploading.
                              Randy
                              Read my BIO Here
                              Donate here

Comment

Working...
                              X