Pipo M9 Pro RileyROM 1.0 (M9 with 1920x1200 display) [Feedback]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pipo M9 Pro RileyROM 1.0 (M9 with 1920x1200 display) [Feedback]

Pipo has introduced another tablet in the M Pro line called the Max M9 Pro. This is a 10.1" tablet with the Rockchip 3188 quad core processor. This is the M9 Max with a new retina display.

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Pipo-...GB-317492.html

Although the official Pipo site does not have a firmware update yet for the tablet, I ran across one...so I decided to put out a RileyROM for this tablet.

According to the build.prop this ROM was done with Rockchip SDK 2.0

It is rooted with 2,4,6 or 8gb user app space, init.d support, Google Play Store fixes, and debloated.

If this is the first time you are flashing a Freaktab ROM, please read and follow closely the instructions included in the First Time User's Guide included in the zip. This will save you and I some headaches from the start.

Thanks to:
    Tattman65 for his amazing boot screens
    Pr0xZen for the First Time User's Guide
    Petrus for his Reboot app
    And the rest of the Freaktab team for their support

This ROM is for the new Pipo M9 Pro tablet with the 1920x1200 display...not the M9 Max. If you own an M9 Max, it won't handle the screen resolution of this ROM...it won't technically "brick" your device, but you won't be able to run it. I'm only saying this, because apparently there has been some confusion.

Here is the download link:

Download

If this ROM makes a difference for you, please consider a donation to support future RileyROM's here at Freaktab.com Donate!!!
    Last edited by rrileypm; 08-01-2013, 15:48.
    Randy
    Freaktab Developer, Product Reviewer, Moderator and "Flashaholic".
    Read my BIO Here
    Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
    Donate here

Originally posted by rrileypm View Post
    This is the M9 Max with a new retina display.
    Randy, I think it's Full HD display, not Retina. 1920x1200 16:10 Wide.

Comment

Pipo has introduced another tablet in the M Pro line called the Max M9 Pro. This is a 10.1" tablet with the Rockchip 3188 quad core processor. This is the M9 Max with a new retina display.

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Pipo-...GB-317492.html

Although the official Pipo site does not have a firmware update yet for the tablet, I ran across one...so I decided to put out a RileyROM for this tablet.

According to the build.prop this ROM was done with Rockchip SDK 2.0

It is rooted with 2,4,6 or 8gb user app space, init.d support, Google Play Store fixes, and debloated.

If this is the first time you are flashing a Freaktab ROM, please read and follow closely the instructions included in the First Time User's Guide included in the zip. This will save you and I some headaches from the start.

Thanks to:
      Tattman65 for his amazing boot screens
      Pr0xZen for the First Time User's Guide
      Petrus for his Reboot app
      And the rest of the Freaktab team for their support

Here is the download link:

Download

If this ROM makes a difference for you, please consider a donation to support future RileyROM's here at Freaktab.com Donate!!!
      Will putting this onto the tablet void the warranty?

Comment

Voiding a warranty?

Technically, maybe....it depends.

Since Android developers have been improving upon the official firmware soooooo much, the factories have kind of embraced the culture a little. Hell, if it weren't for us, how would they sell so many devices...especially since WE have to finish their firmware for them before their devices are actually usable.

I could rant for days on this subject...but if you develop a hardware issue, I haven't heard of a vendor denying a warranty claim because of a flashed custom ROM. You just simply restore the stock firmware before you return the item, if you can. If you can't...they won't see it, anyway. I would do that anyway...just to get my personal stuff off of it.

Take Geekbuying.com for instance. Their market is targeted for sites like Freaktab who's main purpose is to develop and distribute custom firmware and tweaks to improve these inexpensive Chinese products. They are fully aware that most of their products will have a custom ROM on them as soon as they arrive.

We have a great working relationship, because they let us know what the new hot items are...and supply us with discounted products to develop/test with. Many times, the vendors will supply us with the firmware to make our ROMs with. It is no secret that the value actually goes up on these devices if they have a custom ROM on board. Some of our developers have actually done some work for the factories, directly. I think that's really cool!!!!!!

Since it is almost impossible to permanently brick a Rockchip device by flashing a ROM...there isn't much risk in flashing a custom ROM...IF....you have a rescue copy of the original firmware available, and you follow the instructions carefully.

This is why I try to post my source for the firmware, so If things go bad, you have a way back to at least a stock ROM. The major factories have a decent support site with firmware downloads available. Pipo has a good site to work from...but they take their sweet time keeping it up to date.

When you get a new device...test drive it for a while on the stock ROM and make sure everything works before you flash a custom ROM. Make note of the apps you get with the stock ROM. If there's something you would like to keep, let me know...because I try to remove as much of the factory software I can during the debloat process. Read the threads for feedback on the particular ROM you are interested in flashing. It doesn't happen often, but sometimes something out of the ordinary happens during the development process and the newest ROM may not work properly. Being the first person to flash a new custom ROM is pretty gutsy...so until you gain a little experience...hold off until you get some positive comments in the feedback threads.

When a device has been out for a while, I will have several versions of the ROM available, so if the newest ROM isn't quite stable, you can always revert back to the last one until I get the kinks ironed out.

I rely heavily on and really appreciate those gutsy experienced members who can test these ROMs for me, since I don't own every tablet/device I cook ROMs for. If there are glitches, they are usually ironed out quickly.

That's enough ranting for now...hahahah!!!!!

I'm excited for these M9 Pro's to roll out and I hope this first ROM works well...but I'm still waiting for that first gutsy tester......I don't think I'll get one, myself...since I already have 2 3188 tablets and 2 3066 tablets laying around. My next tablet purchase will probably be when the next processor comes out. I do have a new 3188 mini pc ordered from Geekbuying to serve as a test device for my ROMs.... I'm looking forward for that.
        Randy
        Read my BIO Here
        Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
        Donate here

Comment

Voiding a warranty?

Technically, maybe....it depends.

Since Android developers have been improving upon the official firmware soooooo much, the factories have kind of embraced the culture a little. Hell, if it weren't for us, how would they sell so many devices...especially since WE have to finish their firmware for them before their devices are actually usable.

I could rant for days on this subject...but if you develop a hardware issue, I haven't heard of a vendor denying a warranty claim because of a flashed custom ROM. You just simply restore the stock firmware before you return the item, if you can. If you can't...they won't see it, anyway. I would do that anyway...just to get my personal stuff off of it.

Take Geekbuying.com for instance. Their market is targeted for sites like Freaktab who's main purpose is to develop and distribute custom firmware and tweaks to improve these inexpensive Chinese products. They are fully aware that most of their products will have a custom ROM on them as soon as they arrive.

We have a great working relationship, because they let us know what the new hot items are...and supply us with discounted products to develop/test with. Many times, the vendors will supply us with the firmware to make our ROMs with. It is no secret that the value actually goes up on these devices if they have a custom ROM on board. Some of our developers have actually done some work for the factories, directly. I think that's really cool!!!!!!

Since it is almost impossible to permanently brick a Rockchip device by flashing a ROM...there isn't much risk in flashing a custom ROM...IF....you have a rescue copy of the original firmware available, and you follow the instructions carefully.

This is why I try to post my source for the firmware, so If things go bad, you have a way back to at least a stock ROM. The major factories have a decent support site with firmware downloads available. Pipo has a good site to work from...but they take their sweet time keeping it up to date.

When you get a new device...test drive it for a while on the stock ROM and make sure everything works before you flash a custom ROM. Make note of the apps you get with the stock ROM. If there's something you would like to keep, let me know...because I try to remove as much of the factory software I can during the debloat process. Read the threads for feedback on the particular ROM you are interested in flashing. It doesn't happen often, but sometimes something out of the ordinary happens during the development process and the newest ROM may not work properly. Being the first person to flash a new custom ROM is pretty gutsy...so until you gain a little experience...hold off until you get some positive comments in the feedback threads.

When a device has been out for a while, I will have several versions of the ROM available, so if the newest ROM isn't quite stable, you can always revert back to the last one until I get the kinks ironed out.

I rely heavily on and really appreciate those gutsy experienced members who can test these ROMs for me, since I don't own every tablet/device I cook ROMs for. If there are glitches, they are usually ironed out quickly.

That's enough ranting for now...hahahah!!!!!

I'm excited for these M9 Pro's to roll out and I hope this first ROM works well...but I'm still waiting for that first gutsy tester......I don't think I'll get one, myself...since I already have 2 3188 tablets and 2 3066 tablets laying around. My next tablet purchase will probably be when the next processor comes out. I do have a new 3188 mini pc ordered from Geekbuying to serve as a test device for my ROMs.... I'm looking forward for that.
          thanks for your reply.
          i am waiting for a few reviews of the m9 pro and if all is good then i will buy.
          i will definietly try your rom

Comment

New rom

Same here. I wonder what's wifi range on Pipo M9pro? Poor wifi sgnal is exactly why I don't want Cube U30GT2 plus lack of GPS. Thanx for the rom. By the way M9pro is on sale on geekbuying right now.

Comment

Originally posted by wiedun View Post
              Same here. I wonder what's wifi range on Pipo M9pro? Poor wifi sgnal is exactly why I don't want Cube U30GT2 plus lack of GPS. Thanx for the rom. By the way M9pro is on sale on geekbuying right now.
              I can't tell about wifi range of Pipo M9pro, but Pipo M9 3G I had recently did very well. Wifi was stable in distance of 10 meters.

Regarding geekbuying they don't have stocks now. They lie about stocks and status of order. I ordered PRO 3G version almost two weeks ago. And guess what? 10 days later I talked to customer support, they said they are testing my tablet before sending the package. Next day they told me it is already out of stock. A person from Russia (which I talked to at russian forum) who placed order after me got already tracking number. They do not process orders in sequence. They even changed the price (item is cheaper now) and didn't offer any compensation or free gift. Maybe, it was just my bad luck...

Comment

looking...

Looking at getting into the Chinese tablet scene...so far, the M9 Pro seems like a good bet.

Riley, what sort of things do you 'do' to the stock ROM? Curious, I've done some flashing and kanging of ROMs, so wondered what sort of things you tackled. Do you leave the custom colored PIPO launcher?

Going to wait for some more fallout from this tablet to show up on the net before I bite the bullet.

Comment

Nice to hear from a fellow NWA resident...I'm in Springdale.

As mentioned above, my ROMs are rooted first and foremost.

Then I make some changes to allow for more apps to be available in the Google Play Store. Most are to spoof the tablet into thinking it is a Samsung device.

Since most of the firmware has a bunch of Chinese bloatware, I remove as much as possible without degrading the functionality of the device. Since Pipo requires a passcode, that you have to get from them on an individual basis, in order to run the Win8 looking launcher, I remove it, and just go with the stock launcher, instead. I do keep the removed apps for a while, just in case someone needs them. I played around the fancy launcher...but I prefer Apex Launcher, myself.

Other Freaktab developers provide me with drivers to activate other features...like Virtual Private Networking support, which I've added to my routine.

Our Freaktab Art Director is a talented tatoo artist from Tennessee. Tattman65 provides all of the boot animations for my ROMs, as well as for most developers here at Freaktab.

Right now, Pipo only provides 2gb space for installing apps. By adjusting the parameter files, I'm able to provide choices for the users. The default is 2gb...but you can have 4, 6, 8, and sometimes 10 or 12gb user app space (I have included those choices in the M9 and the M8 Pro ROM's).

Every day, I read and learn other tweaks I can do, but I like keeping things pretty simple for most users. Since the tablet is rooted, users can add some of those tweaks on their own by running init.d scripts, which I also support.

I might add that although I own tablets from Pipo, Cube, Yuandao, and Arnova...I really like the build quality of the Pipo tablets...so the M9 Pro will be a good pick.
                  Randy
                  Read my BIO Here
                  Donate here

Comment

small world...

That's crazy...I work in Lowell, live in Bella Vista. Use to work at Tyson Foods in Springdale. Well, good to know you're local. I admire the work you ( and other folks ) do customizing ROMs. I could never quite get my head fully wrapped around it.

My only concern with the M9 Pro would be the hi-rez display. Concerned that the hardware might not be able to fully drive it. I've read that the new 2048x1536 resolution is causing some studdering and lag on tablets running it. I figured the 1920x1200 would huge improvement over 1280x800.

Comment

Originally posted by dwcasey View Post
                      That's crazy...I work in Lowell, live in Bella Vista. Use to work at Tyson Foods in Springdale. Well, good to know you're local. I admire the work you ( and other folks ) do customizing ROMs. I could never quite get my head fully wrapped around it.

My only concern with the M9 Pro would be the hi-rez display. Concerned that the hardware might not be able to fully drive it. I've read that the new 2048x1536 resolution is causing some studdering and lag on tablets running it. I figured the 1920x1200 would huge improvement over 1280x800.
                      I am also interested to see if the M9pro has fixed the other hardware issues that the M9 has had.

Comment

Not many people even have this tablet, yet...but Pipo posted a firmware update today.

I'm downloading both wifi and 3g versions...but it will be tomorrow before I can cook. I'm working my side job in the Emergency Room today...and can't do ROM's there...

Stay tuned!!!!!!
                        Randy
                        Read my BIO Here
                        Donate here

Comment

riley please make a good cook for us please ;-)

riley i have downloaded your rom with sdk 2.0 for pipo m8 pro and i was very happy with it.

I have sold my pipo m8 tablet and buyed the pipo m9pro (1900x1200 display + gps + 32gb rom).
                          it is very good but i think his rom is not very optimize and i don't know if it have benefit of sfk 2.0
                          yes i have seen an update in pipo web site but if you will cook a custom rom from it i prefer to wait

So, i have noticed a bad wifi signal (low distance) with pipo m9pro and i don't know if it is a software or hardware problem but it's possible due to the gps electromagnetic shielding. i will wait another rom but if it is not better i will open tablet and add a wifi antenna to improve wifi signal (on my first pipo m9 old pcb i have done this and wifi signal was very very better and permit me to stream 1080p mkv movie from my pc in wifi)

I know you do very good job and i really appreciate you rom. In certains french forum i will post the link for freaktab and riley's rom.
                          I know there is and will be a lot of french persons wait a good rom for the new pipo m9 pro (from riley of course).

Thank you in advance if you take some times to make pipo m9pro's owners very happy with your goods rom.

best regards

Comment

I have the firmware....getting started this morning.

Stay Tuned!!!!!!
                            Randy
                            Read my BIO Here
                            Donate here

Comment

I started a new thread for v1.1

Enjoy!!!!!!

http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...3265#post83265
                              Randy
                              Read my BIO Here
                              Donate here

Comment

Working...
                              X