Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pipo M8 Pro RileyROM 2.2 KitKat

WARNING: THIS ROM WILL BRICK OLDER M8 PRO TABLETS WITH A SINGLE NAND CHIP

This ROM is based on an official Pipo firmware update dated 4/3/2014. Finally, an official KitKat release from Pipo for this great tablet. It's for both Wifi and 3G versions.

Since this IS the first KK version I'm releasing for this tablet, I need to say a few things about flashing a KK ROM.

First, you MUST keep the loader (first line of the flash tool) checked. KK won't run without it, and you WILL brick your tablet if you uncheck it!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, you MUST erase IDB before flashing. It's important to format the NAND to allow for a new metadata partition included in KitKat.

Now, if you want to go back to a Jellybean ROM after you have flashed this ROM, you must first erase IDB from this ROM. Then you can open the Flash Tool for the Jellybean ROM and follow the procedure as before, but MAKE SURE you check the loader...or you will brick your tablet.

There are some threads in the stickies of the main Pipo section that can assist you if you brick your tablet. HERE and HERE

This ROM is:

Rooted with SuperSU
    Debloated
    Init.d support added
    Busybox commands added
    English as default language
    Google Play Store fixes to be more compatible with apps
    Auto Install feature on first boot. See this thread for details: Link
    VPN support
    2, 4, 6, 8, 12gb user app space choices (default 4gb)
    Latest Reboot app by Petrus
    Boot Animation by Me
    TWRP Recovery by Abdul_Pt Link
    Updated First Time User's Guide
    RkBatchTool included as an alternate way to "switch" to flash mode

Download

Here is v2.2.1 with some updates.
    It's based on the same firmware as 2.2 with these changes:

Complete Multi-User Support - no need to run Xposed Framework to get multiuser.
    Updated DownloadUI.apk to fix the problems with the download manager.
    Multiple Build.prop changes to hopefully improve battery usage during sleep mode.

Download

Enjoy!!!!!!

If this ROM makes a difference for you, please consider a donation to support future RileyROM's here at Freaktab.com
    Donate!!! Your donations keep me updated with the latest tablets to test on.
    Last edited by rrileypm; 11-02-2015, 01:14.
    Randy
    Freaktab Developer, Product Reviewer, Moderator and "Flashaholic".
    Read my BIO Here
    Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
    Donate here

Going to install right now!
    Thank you for the fast and solid work Randy!

Hoping everything installs perfecly
    I'll keep you up to date

update: Intalled like a charm! I did it on an old Windows 7 32bit laptop
    Intallation of driver went perfect (via the driver folder you inluded), opened Flashtool, reboot flash-mode, detcted succesully, erased NAND, and flashed...

booted in kit-kat now ... Let's play

Update 2: well... It's fantastic... I also changed to art runtime and my god it feels smooth, fast and reliable. Like a brand new tablet.

THANK YOU RANDY!
    Last edited by musback; 04-19-2014, 16:04.

Comment

I cant find any info of it on official pipo site. Can you provide link where i can download original unmodified rom?

edit: ignore my post, i just read last couple of posts in v2.1 thread and got all info

Comment

Thanks for your job Randy, finally a stable usable KitKat Rom
        I thought updates for m8 pro will go silent forever…

Flashed by vista 32bit, the driver installer failed but I followed the guideline and made it
        ART mode didn't work fine, probably due to I dunno how to use it
        Other things are very fine. Smooth and beautiful. Good job.

Also, may I ask if you hv any idea or interest on doing overclocking rom?
        I read abt rk3188 is capable and supposed to work at 1.8GHz but currently 1.6GHz
        The info is from another rk3188 tablet ifive mini3HD, you may have a look on this, thanks

Comment

If you make a request on this thread, I'll bet one of the kernel guys can makes some OC kernels.

Randy
          Read my BIO Here
          Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
          Donate here

Comment

Originally posted by rrileypm View Post
            If you make a request on this thread, I'll bet one of the kernel guys can makes some OC kernels.

http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...or-Pipo-models
            Great! Thank you so much

Comment

Unfortunately this ROM bricks my M8 Pro. I think the loader is incompatible with my tablet.

I opened the board in order to unbrick the tablet (thanks for the guide btw) and it writes RK3188_P940H_V1.1 2013-03-21. I mention it for reference.

The only way to unbrick is to restore the 2.1 ROM from MaskMode. Every time I erase IDB and flash the KitKat loader (2.10) the tablet seems to can't properly access the NAND memory and gets bricked.
              I tested other versions of the loader (2.3, 2.7, 2.8, 2.9, 2.13) but none worked.

-----------
              Update

I just gave a try to Pipo's img, flashed with RKBatchTool 1.7, trying both upgrade and restore methods, both lead to bricked tablet. :/
              I guess Pipo messed up with the ROM and they don't support all the revisions of M8 Pro.
              Last edited by mrsaccess; 04-20-2014, 01:17.

Comment

After using an XP laptop i got flashing.....

Great Rom....was short before selling my odys prime........

Now i love my odys/pipo tablet.

Thanks!!!!

Comment

Brick - after update.

I have similar situation - update from 2.1.2 to KK version 2.2 - with loader 2.1 - no success.
                  My m8pro bricked, but with tutorial with "mask mode" is back ....to 2.1.2
                  We need to wait for official firmware by Pipo for this great tablet - or believe to Riley .

Comment

It appears that at least some people have successfully flashed this ROM. There must be something going on with your hardware, or something to cause it to brick.

Pipo released a KK a long time ago, but it disappeared almost immediately. This is the first version I was able to get. I never knew the reason for such a long wait for KK on the M8 Pro, but it may have something to do with inconsistency in successful flashes between devices.

My only remedy at this point would be to return to JB if KK doesn't work on your particular device.
                    Randy
                    Read my BIO Here
                    Donate here

Comment

Since I already messed my tablet, I searched for another version of Kit Kat. In December, at 4pda there were two versions of Kit Kat for the M8 Pro. One of them uses the old loader (1.24) and works on all tablets.

You can find it here: http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showt...#entry27345028
                      It is the gen1 ROM.

It has two problems though.
                      1. In Kit Kat you have the internal SD and an emulated internal SD which resides inside the internal storage. All apps install their data in this emulated SD and you run quickly out of space (a game like Asphalt for example needs over 1GB of space). For this I modified the ROM so that the internal storage is about 13.5GB and the internal SD is just 500MB.
                      2. It doesn't have Riley's WiFi optimisations and this is really annoying. Pipo's firmware, when the WiFi gets a lower signal for a second, drops the WiFi speed to 1mbps and never returns to higher rates despite the signal quality (or the speed it reports in wifi settings). Using the tablet like this is terrible.

Comment

Great Rom, Hebrew Problem And Other Issues

First Of All This Is A Great Rom !!!

My pipo is like a new tablet now, two issues i noticed that can help others :

1. When changing the language to hebrew the tablet after the first restart keep poping the crashing message :
                        com.android.systemui has stoped working.
                        This will happen until the language goes back to EN or factory reset.

Didn't try to bypass with apex/nova launcher do you think this will be an answer ?

2. As with other devices i saw with 4.4.2 each time you make a restart one item is missing every time you do a restart from the home screen though this is only the shortcut and not the app that is missing , don't know yet why.

Riley Many Many Thanks for a great rom.

Comment

I was tad hesitant to update but glad I did, this is quite a 'upgrade' from Riley 1.8 multi-window.
                          quite easily the best of Riley Roms for this device..everything is butter smooth.
                          only gripe is RK remote/ebook apps which just refuses to open up..does any one have latest version
                          of these apps..huge improvements over battery/startup time and no Wifi drops

Comment

hello to all, long time no see.

yesterday i found this thread, KK rom for M8Pro, and, without any hasitation i installed it. i even forget to backup internal sd card contens.

after flashing, knock, knock, knock, all went well, no brick. but, i have two problems.
                            first, external micro sd card from time to time is not mounted on startup. when i try to mount it via settings, it just freeze. reboot, and then same thing. then i must pull it out, it reports a error, put it back, and then reboot. and then is all ok. until new reboot.
                            so, i plan to reflash, or at least do a fresh vipe of data and cache. no big deal.

second, that launcher "launcher3" - what aobut it? does it have some settings or it is rudimentary (and quick, must say) launcher? i can't(do not know how) replace tabs, and set home screen (middle one).

and, last (at least for now), can i, and how, change TWRP Recovery with plain old CWM? this is nice to see, but i'm not familiar with it, and there are some functions that i'm not sure what to do with them.

so, please, can i replace it and with which version?

many thanks in advance!

viki

Comment

First of all, your external SD issues maybe because you've previously formatted it with NTFS...as I suggested under the Jellybean ROM's to reduce corruption issues. KK doesn't play well with NTFS, so I went back to FAT32 on my external SD's. You might try that.

Second, launcher3.apk is a very basic version of the stock KK launcher. Your best bet is to install a more functional launcher like Apex.

I'm not aware of a working CWM for these KK versions. But since I've switched to using TWRP, I've quit looking for CWM. If you find one that is supposed to work with KK...you can flash it with the Flash Tool by only checking recovery.img and direct the Flash Tool to the CWM file you wish to flash.

If you decide to flash the whole ROM...be sure to always flash the stock recovery.img and boot for the first time with it...then flash a custom recovery later. This will assure that all of the partitions required to run KK will be formatted and mounted correctly.
                              Randy
                              Read my BIO Here
                              Donate here

Comment

Working...
                              X