Pipo M8 Pro RileyROM 2.2 KitKat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rrileypm View Post
    Nope. Every time I tried flashing a KitKat ROM on my early version...it bricked my tablet.
    rriley how or what do we check if my PiPo M8 Pro tablet can be considered as "Early version" to avoid bricking it?
    Thanks!

Comment

I really don't have a definite answer to that. Pipo had several production runs of the M8 Pro. Some had one NAND chip, some had two NAND chips. There were some other components that were different with each run. My tablet came from the first run, so while other people had good luck with this ROM....unfortunately, I didn't.
      Randy
      Freaktab Developer, Product Reviewer, Moderator and "Flashaholic".
      Read my BIO Here
      Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
      Donate here

Comment

Hi fellow Pipo owners. I have a truly mystifying problem trying to flash this KitKat rom. I have used rileyroms before (thank you so much for your great work!). I even installed Windows XP on a partition in my computer recently just to make sure there would be no problems. I installed the driver, the tablet switched to flash mode just fine in the flash tool and I started erasing the nand and installing the firmware. Lower format went fine, flashing rom failed. Now the tablet is bricked. Two really weird things I've noticed: 1) The tablet doesn't show up in the flash tool if I don't keep the power button pushed with my finger. If I keep it pushed, it appears in flash mode ("USB rockchip loader" etc). This changes when I plug in the charger and have it connected to USB at the same time, where the flash tool recognizes the tablet in flash mode without having to constantly push the power button. 2) The USB connection to the PC constantly appears and disappears, as regularly as a slow heartbeat. The tablet is seen by the PC and the flash tool for about 5 seconds, then it disappears for a second, then it comes back, and this goes on forever. This means that formatting the tab or flashing the rom always fails because the connection is lost every few seconds. Have confirmed this behavior in XP, Win8.1 and Win10. Is this a hardware problem / failure? I've tried 3 different USB cables just to check, doesn't help. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm really sad about this and I need the tablet to read documents and books for my work. Thank you in advance for any possible help.

Comment

Your M8 Pro might not be compatible with this KitKat ROM. Don't feel too bad, because mine isn't either. I've tried flashing several KK ROM's on my M8 Pro...each time it has bricked my tablet. It looks like you will have to flash back to the JB ROM.

The problem is that early versions of this tablet had a different type of NAND memory chip.

In order to bring your tablet back to life, you will need to open the tablet. You must find the seam around the edges of the tablet to pry loose the little clips that hold the back in place. You will need a sharp edge like a scalpel blade or something. Use another instrument (like an old credit card or small screw driver or a guitar pick) to hold the back open as you work around the tablet. Be careful not to loose the power button insert if it falls out. Start on the side away from the buttons/ports.

Once the tablet is open, you need to find the NAND Chip.

You will need to use a paper clip of very small metal object to short two pins on the NAND chip while connected to the PC with the USB connected. When you find the correct two pins, your tablet will show up in Mask Mode. This will effectively erase the NAND chip and let you start over.

You may have to continue to press the power button during this process. If you let go of the power button, you may have to start over again.

If the flash tool recognizes the tablet in Mask Mode, all you need to do is flash the JB ROM. Once complete, you will go through the same process as before.

Here is a thread describing the process in more detail with some comments of past experiences. It's for a different tablet, but the process is the same.

Randy
          Freaktab Developer, Product Reviewer, Moderator and "Flashaholic".
          Read my BIO Here
          Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
          Donate here

Comment

Thank you very much for your reply, rrileypm. I was already experimenting with your instructions I found on freaktab about resetting after an unsuccessful Kitkat flash. Indeed, I had the M8 version with one nand that cannot accept this Kitkat rom. In case someone finds it useful, I would like to add that my M8 went into mask mode by putting a paper clip on pins 8-9 on the other, bottom side of the nand. I started counting in the direction from the center of the device outwards, just used the side of the nand that is on the bottom part that's further away from the power and escape buttons, etc. Last ditch effort that worked. If it's not too much trouble, please post that it can brick some M8's with big bold letters in the original post (as you have done about checking the loader option). My tablet is a bit scarred on the plastic sides and the metal back after this experience because I'm no surgeon or technician and scratched it trying to open it. At least it's back from the dead. ^_^

Comment

Wow, looks like on "old" topic, luckily I came back to the forum and checked again and I'm so happy to find this KitKat ROM. What a difference in boot speed compared to your previous JB. And now I don't have to struggle the first 15 minutes for it to respond swiftly to my commands! Great job as usually !!!! Thank you.

Just one question;
              Is it possible to use cifsmanager on this ROM to mount network drives? I tried but every time I try to mount a drive the tablet will crash and reboot.
              Any solution for this?
              Cheers

Comment

I brought two same Pipo M8 Pro tablets at the same time, same store, three years ago. They were younger(est) generation, with one NAND chip. At once I put JB on both, and then KK. It worked all well.

I gave one to a friend, "he did something" and it's now bricked. I'm writing this from mine, single NAND, latest KK - working fully smooth for three years.

I tried to unbrick friend's Pipo, but I failed. Couldn't get into Mask Mode, or if I did (can't remember), I couldn't get through. So, it's sitting in a box for years.

However, my tablet on KK is still super-fast, not having any problems. Bad news there will be no updates, but I'm really thankful for this great KK ROM.

I obviously don't have the newest version, 2.2.1.
                Would I lose all apps and data if install it? If yes, will I really benefit? Don't need multi-user, maybe better battery life, which is not guaranteed, as written in the first post.

Or I do have the latest ROM?
                Last edited by owim; 10-15-2016, 05:31.

Comment

delete

Comment

Working...
                  X