Pipo U8 RileyROM 2.0 KitKat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rrileypm View Post
    You don't have to flash the whole rom to get it....just download the update from Abdul's thread and flash it by itself in place of the recovery. Meantime I will update the rom tomorrow.
    Any chance I could:

1. Download Abdul's updated recovery
    2. Use your 1.8 flashtool (or the one included in 2.0 pack) to add just the recovery to my 1.8 rom
    3. Use the recovery to backup my 1.8 installation
    4. Download and install 2.0.1
    5a. Recover my apps and settings from my 1.8 backup
    5b. or, Revert back to 1.8 by just using a nandroid restoration

Will the TWRP install on top of 1.8 without breaking it?

Thanks!

Comment

Yes, you can flash the latest TWRP to 1.8...but I wouldn't recommend doing a complete restore that way.

TWRP recovery is only good for restoring a current ROM installation...but between different ROM versions things change significantly...like the parameter settings. Plus, TWRP can't restore the kernel. You might run into problems.

It's always best to do a full flash whenever you change a ROM version.
      Randy
      Freaktab Developer, Product Reviewer, Moderator and "Flashaholic".
      Read my BIO Here
      Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
      Donate here

Comment

Rom and App backups before installation

Thank you Randy for all your work on the Pipo tablets!
        How would you suggest to backup the current Rom, the apps and their data before installing RileyROM 2.0 on a Pipo U8 running unrooted stock 4.2?
        Rooting the tablet will allow me to backup the apps using Titanium backup. Where can I find instructions for rooting the U8?
        The guide for first time users mentions an experimental "Flash Tool with instructions on making a backup of your device prior to flashing". Is this tool fully operational and what backups does it support?

Thanks!

Comment

Backing up an unrooted tablet is tricky. When I get a new tablet, I just don't install much on it until after I flash my ROM. If you've been using your tablet a while...you may have a bunch of apps and data you want to keep.

Really the best way for the performance of the new ROM would be to reinstall all of the apps from Google. Alternatively, you can use a backup app that's doesn't require root. There are plenty to choose from. Just remember to save to an external SD card, because the internal SD will be erased when you flash the custom ROM.

You can also try rooting your tablet before flashing the RILEYROM. Root Genious may work on the U8, but I've never tried it. Then you could install Titanium and do a proper backup.
          Randy
          Read my BIO Here
          Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
          Donate here

Comment

Thanks! I'll try Root Genious and see if it works.

Regarding backing up the Stock Rom, will the experimental flash tool included with your Rom backup the current Rom? If not, how would you recommend backing it up?

Comment

Just follow the instructions that comes with that tool in the ROM kit. I'm sure it will work...if you get the drivers installed properly.
              Randy
              Read my BIO Here
              Donate here

Comment

Baked some kernels for U8 RileyRom 2.0 users for everyone to try. It was requested by a U8 user from the Philippines.

Ultra U8 Modified Kernels
                for RileyRom 2.0 [KK]
                kernel_U8RR20....zip

HOW TO INSTALL KERNEL:
                1. Extract downloaded .zip file (use winzip or 7zip)
                2. Open Riley (ROM) Flash tool
                3. UNCHECK everything EXCEPT "kernel" row
                4. Click on the last box of the kernel row
                5. Browse and select the kernel...img file that you want to flash
                6. connect USB to the PC
                7. connect the other end of the USB to the tablet (in OFF state)
                8. press ESC & POWER simultaneously and wait until Flash Tool detects tablet in loader mode
                9. Press "Flash Rom"

Important Reminder: DO NOT ERASE IDB!

Note: if the kernel is not stable or causes bootloop, you can try another modified kernel or revert to stock kernel included in RileyRom named kernel.img

Kernel Features:
                - Overclocked cpu speed from stock 1608 (1.6Ghz) to 1704 (1.7Ghz)
                - Overclocked ddr speed from stock 460Mhz to 667Mhz/720Mhz
                - Lower voltages for battery saving

*cpu1608-standard - Stable for all tabs (normal battery consumption)
                *cpu1608-low - Stable for most tabs (battery saving)
                *cpu1704-standard - Stable for some tabs (normal battery consumption)
                *cpu1704-low - Stable for some tabs (battery saving)
                *cpu1704-high - Stable for most tabs (might drain more battery)

Credits:
                rrileypm (Developer of BEST ROMS for Pipo)
                Finless (Founder of BEST Rockchip Support COMMUNITY)
                phjanderson for original kernel script
                giouncino for frequency pattern
                d33 for Kitkat kernel script
                SergioPoverony

Last edited by cshock2010; 06-15-2014, 16:07.
                Proud M7Pro owner and Freaktab fan

Comment

Nicely baked kernels cpu1704-low-gpu600-ddr720 works fluently , thanks boss cshock ;-)

Sent from my PiPo U8 using Tapatalk
                  Ultra U8 owner

Freaktab fan and PiPO Tablets PH member

https://www.facebook.com/groups/pipotabletsph/

Comment

Originally posted by jastaz23 View Post
                    Nicely baked kernels cpu1704-low-gpu600-ddr720 works fluently , thanks boss cshock ;-)

Sent from my PiPo U8 using Tapatalk
                    What about battery saving? Does it work?

Comment

need help pls.. what parameter should i use if i want to store more .obb game files? i want to maximize the nand flash so i can install more games.. and how can i use a 32Gb external sd or tf card to be the location of the android\obb folders? the games won't run when i copied the .obb file to my external tf card..

Comment

Originally posted by uliss View Post
                        What about battery saving? Does it work?

yes. about an hour or 2 on normal use , standby power consumption is much much better even with wifi on..
                        Ultra U8 owner

Freaktab fan and PiPO Tablets PH member

https://www.facebook.com/groups/pipotabletsph/

Comment

hello,

the modified kernels are for 2.0.1 rom too? also if i get it right the lower voltage kernels are for battery saving but also increase the performance of the tablet because of the OC?

thank you.

Comment

Re: Pipo U8 RileyROM 2.0 KitKat

Originally posted by madalx View Post
                            hello,

the modified kernels are for 2.0.1 rom too? also if i get it right the lower voltage kernels are for battery saving but also increase the performance of the tablet because of the OC?

thank you.
                            Yes

Sent from my Android X using Tapatalk
                            Proud M7Pro owner and Freaktab fan

Comment

Wifi in 2.1 vs 1.9

Hello, first thank you for your work publicly.

I have a question,

This version (2.0 / 2.01), containing 1.9 Rom improvements regarding the Wifi network?

thank you very much

Comment

It should be about the same. I haven't noticed any wifi problems.
                                Randy
                                Read my BIO Here
                                Donate here

Comment

Working...
                                X