No announcement yet.

Pipo M9 KitKat ROM for those with 1nand chip who gets bricked by official fw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After my experience, well documented, installing this rom I find that it's well deserved when people even then go ahead and install the rom resulting in a bricked device.
    Mine, died completely and looks like it was not the only one

Comment

I'm not sure I've understood you right. What I am sure about is that this rom is not able to produce a hardware brick. Your unit may have lost a nand chip but not becuase of this rom, that may have been a coincidence. I've had my unit bricked ~100 times and always got it alive with shortening the pins to go in to maskrom mode. Yours got stuck in masrom, which means the device did not recognise your nand chip.
      https://www.paypal.com/en_US/i/btn/x-click-but11.gif

Comment

What was the excat cause I don't know.
        What I do know is that the tablet was working fine and after flashing the firmware, bye bye
        Now, what was it then?

Comment

Have you shortened the pins on non existent chip? (Next to the one that is mounted on pcb)? Which ones?

Comment

Originally posted by Djuganight View Post
            What was the excat cause I don't know.
            What I do know is that the tablet was working fine and after flashing the firmware, bye bye
            Now, what was it then?
            I've bricked mine too, but recovered it with shorting the pins. Though, the process is slightly cumbersome....But, if I hadn't kept searching my device wouldn't be running the smooth KitKat that it runs now :-)

Comment

I all that I could remember of. Even sending it back to Spain. Now I sold the bloody tablet and ordered a new Pipo P9, which I'm waiting to arrive

Comment

Email / Hotmail / Exchange

Did someone got to connect Hotmail and Exchange account with this firmware?

I'm not able to, always stuck to "Checking incoming server setings..." and "Can't connect to server"...

Comment

First of all, thanks dnkn for all the time spent on this project!

I've been using my Pipo for about six months with this ROM without a single problem. However for the last month I've been having some problems. At first the tablet would display an error message about android.process.acore having stopped literally every 10 seconds. When I would try to reboot it, it would stuck in boot for ever. Then I had to wipe everything and flash the ROM again. This happened at first for 4 or 5 times within 2 months. Then for the last month every 2 or 3 days if I reboot the tablet it displays a message in russian (which unfortunately am not familiar with) about entering a password to decrypt the data (google translate).

Do you have any idea how this could have happened? It is starting to get annoying, having to erase everything and flash the ROM two or three times a week.

Thank you very much!
                  Andreas

p.s. I forgot to say that one time Pipo wouldn't respond at all, even using the flashtool, exactly like Djuganight, so I resorted to reseting the nand using the pins, which solved the problem and gave me a week free of other problems! However, even with delay, the problem reappeared.

Comment

Since I haven't found a solution yet, I'd be glad to know if anyone has any idea about what is wrong with my tablet! Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by andreasece View Post
                      Since I haven't found a solution yet, I'd be glad to know if anyone has any idea about what is wrong with my tablet! Thank you!
                      My thoughts would be something like your internal flash is dying. It may have depleted it's write cycles and is getting bad blocks eventually. There 2 ways to solve this.1st change the chip (soldering it with special rework station), BTW you can change it to the chip which is supported by 2.* loader. 2nd boot from microsd. The device works much faster from UHS microsd card. But not any of those do work. I've used my device booted from SD for quite some time but reverted to internal flash as there are some bugs (not able to connect to PC in USB storage mode and it seemed to me that power consumption in deep sleep was noticeably increased). I can find a list of compatible flash chips for you if you decide to replace the chip. For the 2end variant you will need Linux, virtual machine should do the trick but I have not tried it that way.

Comment

Originally posted by dnkn View Post
                        My thoughts would be something like your internal flash is dying. It may have depleted it's write cycles and is getting bad blocks eventually. There 2 ways to solve this.1st change the chip (soldering it with special rework station), BTW you can change it to the chip which is supported by 2.* loader. 2nd boot from microsd. The device works much faster from UHS microsd card. But not any of those do work. I've used my device booted from SD for quite some time but reverted to internal flash as there are some bugs (not able to connect to PC in USB storage mode and it seemed to me that power consumption in deep sleep was noticeably increased). I can find a list of compatible flash chips for you if you decide to replace the chip. For the 2end variant you will need Linux, virtual machine should do the trick but I have not tried it that way.
                        So, I can replace the NAND chip with the one of the latest models? This sounds nice. Could you please send me the list with the compatible chips?

Comment

Not from latest models, but from those with 3188 soc. You can get 32gb (2*16gb) flash. I'm not able to give any info for now as my laptop is at my country house and I was going to be there yesterday, but got in a small car accident but I can't use my car for a couple of days now. So I will share the docs as soon as I get my laptop.

Comment

I've been giving this ROM a spin for a few weeks now ( I know I'm late to the party!)

My experience with it is that I can get a bit of unresponsiveness. Most notably when using the home key/app switcher buttons but web browsing can be afflicted with it as well (Firefox, Chrome and Opera)

Do people generally change the kernel settings? Or have any other tweaks they use?

I've settled on the default launcher with the kernel set to 'performance', but I'm not sure if the perceived improvement is mainly placebo.

(and I almost forgot, thanks for the ROM!)

Comment

Originally posted by dnkn View Post
                              This ROM uses old loader, so no bricking of 1nand chip versions.
                              The rom is fast but don't expect much improvement of internal nand cause the kernel module for nand is from latest jb rom and loader is 1.24. But it's definately faster then any jb rom. 3d wise especially.
                              There will be custom kk kernels later but even with stock kernel it rocks.Kitkat rules on m9. The device performes like it should have been from the very begining.

Download also updated system.img and replace the one from the first link. It will give you rooted system and fixed gapps and location services and all apps in market which were available in JB will be available in this ROM.

Here's the link.

Erase IDB is vital.

You should use airplane mode on wifi versions I guess.

Fixed system.img.
                              rooted, art compatible gapps, fixed apps showing "not compatible with your device" in play market).

Recovery for KitKat and old loader.

Attention! You should flash modified system.img on initial flash, so replace stock system.img with modified one. Looks like it is not flashable by itself, resulting in stuck boot process on boot animation.

First boot should be performed with stock recovery, after first boot you can flash cwm based recovery. With only recovery.img checkbox selected.
                              Great work dnkn, pipo max m9 runs like a charm with your receipt !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X