Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pipo P8 RileyROM 1.6

Pipo P8 RileyROM 1.6 [Android 4.4.4]

This ROM is based on official Pipo firmware dated 12/2/14 #194. The file name of the firmware indicates an more updates to optimize battery and standby battery consumption.

This ROM is:

Rooted with ClockworkMod Superuser
    Debloated
    Init.d/Busybox support
    Auto Install feature on first boot
    English Default Language (All usual languages supported)
    Google Play Store fixes added
    Multi-User feature activated
    Reboot App by Petrus
    2, 4, 6, 8, 10 or 12gb user app space (by choosing the desired parameter file). 6GB is the default setting in the flash tool.
    TWRP Recovery by Abdul_pt (flash by itself after the first boot)

Enjoy!

Download

Please consider a donation to support future RileyROM's here on Freaktab.com
    Randy
    Freaktab Developer, Product Reviewer, Moderator and "Flashaholic".
    Read my BIO Here
    Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
    Donate here

HiHo - thanks for your great ROM ! Works extrely well. I have just found five smaller issues:

- the auto brightness functionality leads to a too dark brightness setting
    - the app Magine freezes after some minutes (not seen on other tablets/smartphones in the same wlan)
    - terrible sound quality - Viper4Android is a real *must*
    - I had to deactivate volume buttons in build.prop as the functionalty of the different buttons seem to interfere with each other. After deactivation of the volume buttons all is fine. I use the app TrayVolume instead.
    - last but not least - the P8 does not wake up from deep sleep and needs reboot

Thanks again !

Jo

EDIT: I am still wondering, if 5GHz WLAN is supported at all as announced. I don't see any 5GHz WLAN compared to my other devices ...
    Last edited by avant; 12-07-2014, 18:12.

Comment

I returned and got full refund for my black pipo p8 with quality issues ( massive light leak, creaking case, glue showing around screen) , but i enjoyed the device, not sure if I got a damaged one or seller sold something not new. Iam planning to source a new one from deals prime which have best price at the moment. However I heard from a supplier (chinese) that black version have issues and only get white one. Can any one confirm? or heard similar thing?

Those of you who own pipo p8, could you please share your experience and feedback about the build quality ? and the color you have? Just curious to see what others have to say
      Last edited by benzz; 12-10-2014, 21:46.

Comment

I just ordered a black one from Geekbuying

You can ask them for a coupon code on their online chat.
        I hope it doesn't have any problems, and that it isn't a disappointment like the Pipo U6 that is an utter piece of cr^p.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave-s View Post
          You can ask them for a coupon code on their online chat.
          I hope it doesn't have any problems, and that it isn't a disappointment like the Pipo U6 that is an utter piece of cr^p.
          Thanks. did you buy your u6 from them or else where? The issue I have with them (which aliexpress doesnt to certain extend) is if there is a problem I have to pay for return shipping . Which i can bet with these poorly made Chinese junks the chance is high lol

I was expecting much more from pipo and thought ifive mini 3gs was not that high quality, but honestly that is much better build quality than pipo

Comment

Not much feedback on this ROM. Can anyone report your experience with it?
            Randy
            Freaktab Developer, Product Reviewer, Moderator and "Flashaholic".
            Read my BIO Here
            Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
            Donate here

Comment

hi, thanks for your 1.6 rom ...........so far so good .
              but
              1)the stock app 'download' could not open (after i download some app from the web), it show 'android.process.media' stop .....
              2) the 3G icon disappear sometime , (sometime although the 3G icon is showed) but the data function not working(but the phone call is still normal to use). i have to hard off (press 10 second the power switch to turn it off)and restart the P8, the 3G icon show and work normal again. i think the 3G data function is not stable.
              Last edited by smchkman; 12-12-2014, 16:26.

Comment

I will receive mine today. I ordered 11/11 Black one, but it's nowhere available. So now I will get White one,send with DHL. I think many People want this product, but availability is a problem. Will test the software soon.

Comment

Just installed the rom and the first thing I noticed is the flickering of the screen. Didn't have that on the original rom version. it looks like it's only on the right side of the screen.

Comment

Originally posted by dangerousp View Post
                    Just installed the rom and the first thing I noticed is the flickering of the screen. Didn't have that on the original rom version. it looks like it's only on the right side of the screen.
                    How do you find the quality of the white pipo p8? do you have light leak on the screen? or other poor built quality sections of the tablet?

Comment

Originally posted by benzz View Post
                      How do you find the quality of the white pipo p8? do you have light leak on the screen? or other poor built quality sections of the tablet?
                      Flickering is over now. But I had to restart it just now, don't know why.

I cant find any light leakage. All black webpage is equal black and all white screen is equal white.
                      No squeeks. I have a smart cover which works good. (only it fell out last night, so it did not work this morning ) .

Minor thing it had a very little dent in the back of the aluminia.

Comment

Thank you for working on Rom for P8!!

I come from mtk devices (Jiayu phones, Cube tablets) and Pipo / Rockchip is new experience for me ...

Issues on my tab:
                        - TWRP doesn't work: when rebooting to recovery only black screen
                        - not able to add E-Mail or Exchange account: when adding my hotmail account comes error message that no connection to server. On my other tablets and phones no problem to add exchange account ...
                        - data connection (3G/Edge/GPRS) via SIM-card: sometimes it works sometimes not ...
                        - My Navigation program (Scout) doesn't find external sdcard. So I have to store maps on internal space ... Maybe same issue with other programs ...
                        - How to mount internal / external SDcard as sdcard0 and sdcard1?
                        - WLAN: max. speed only 65 MBps (on other devices connected to same router: 150 MBps)
                        - "Downloads"-app crashes (android.process.media)
                        - GPS: Navigation not possible, cause no stable fix ...
                        - battery: from 60 % to 1 % in 45 minutes. Is battery really empty?
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-12-19-12-49-13.png
Views:	1
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	435634
                        Edit 21.12.2014: Last night I charged battery to 100 %. It took 13 hours to drain battery to 1 %. I didn't use tablet while this time. WLAN: on, mobile data: on
                        Process "RILJ" was active over 2 hours. When removing SIM-card "RILJ" stops. I will check this night, if battery drain stops, too ...
                        Last edited by otto8; 12-21-2014, 21:42.

Comment

Originally posted by otto8 View Post
                          Thank you for working on Rom for P8!!

I come from mtk devices (Jiayu phones, Cube tablets) and Pipo / Rockchip is new experience for me ...

Issues on my tab:
                          - TWRP doesn't work: when rebooting to recovery only black screen
                          - not able to add E-Mail or Exchange account: when adding my hotmail account comes error message that no connection to server. On my other tablets and phones no problem to add exchange account ...
                          - data connection (3G/Edge/GPRS) via SIM-card: sometimes it works sometimes not ...
                          - My Navigation program (Scout) doesn't find external sdcard. So I have to store maps on internal space ... Maybe same issue with other programs ...
                          - How to mount internal / external SDcard as sdcard0 and sdcard1?
                          - WLAN: max. speed only 65 MBps (on other devices connected to same router: 150 MBps)
                          - "Downloads"-app crashes (android.process.media)
                          - GPS: Navigation not possible, cause no stable fix ...
                          - battery: from 60 % to 1 % in 45 minutes. Is battery really empty?
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]9331[/ATTACH]
                          Edit 21.12.2014: Last night I charged battery to 100 %. It took 13 hours to drain battery to 1 %. I didn't use tablet while this time. WLAN: on, mobile data: on
                          Process "RILJ" was active over 2 hours. When removing SIM-card "RILJ" stops. I will check this night, if battery drain stops, too ...
                          I have no sim card installed and it is in flight mode with wifi on.. Still it fan down to zero in 11 hours with screen on time of 3 hours..

Comment

Impressions after a few days

I haven't spent much time with the factory firmware because I didn't like the Pipo launcher layout.
                            My impressions after 3 days of use:
                            - No volume buttons: that concerns me a bit regarding the recovery navigation
                            - Most terrible sound I ever heard from a tablet in years, very metallic and cold: Viper4android does not help much and I didn't test it with the factory ROM but I fear it's not Riley's fault.
                            - About 18h hours battery life with mix of activity/sleep. I'm not using a SIM card but keep the huawey modem inside.
                            - Unlike the 3GS mini, the P8 is slightly longer than a "standard" Ipad Mini which limits the choice of protections.
                            - The tablet turns on when plugged to the charger...annoying.
                            - The tablet gets hot with games
                            - I've always hated the reset hole in Pipo M6 and yet it's still there in the P8 so I'll keep a toothpick with me at all time! At least it doesn't crash like the M6.
                            - Wi-Fi range is weaker than with Mini 3GS.
                            - Location of the light sensor not ideal and easely blocked with fingers.

From the ROM itself:
                            - I notice a red flashing frame in Chrome on every page load, even with all the Developper Options off. There must be a debugging option activated like "show view updates" somewhere in the firmware settings.
                            - The short/long touch actions on the shortcut icons (Wifi,Bluetooth,Location,...) are reversed. e.g.: short touch on Wifi brings the WiFi option where it's the long touch in other tablet. I've seen this before only with another Rileyrom for Pipo M6 Max.
                            - It would be nice to have the option to encrypt the tablet.

In general, I've seen no crash or stability/performance issue and my main grief is really about the awful sound quality.
                            Silverbarrel
                            www.gadgetvictims.com

Comment

After removing Huawei adapter process "RILJ" isn't active. I will monitor battery drain ... 3 hours later: Without Huawei card same problem! So Huawei modem is not the reason for draining battery I think.
                              Last edited by otto8; 12-23-2014, 20:25.

Comment

Working...
                              X