No announcement yet.

Pipo P9 RileyROM 1.9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello all. I am a complete newcomer to both android and flashing custom ROMs. I want to flash rileyROM 1.9 but I don't know how to root my device. A quick search on this forum hasn't yielded anything useful. Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Comment

Re: Pipo P9 RileyROM 1.9

Originally posted by Hodgy View Post
      Hello all. I am a complete newcomer to both android and flashing custom ROMs. I want to flash rileyROM 1.9 but I don't know how to root my device. A quick search on this forum hasn't yielded anything useful. Can someone please point me in the right direction?
      You don't need to root your device first. The custom ROM is rooted so after flashing your device will be rooted.

Sent from Tapatalk on my Pipo P4 running RR 2.01

Comment

That's right.

Read the First Time User's Guide in the ROM zip file. It explains everything you need to know about flashing. See post #1 for a complete list of the ROM features.

While you don't need to root the tablet ahead of time...there are some steps you need to take to insure proper flashing from your PC. Read the guide.
        Randy
        Freaktab Developer, Product Reviewer, Moderator and "Flashaholic".
        Read my BIO Here
        Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
        Donate here

Comment

Thanks both. I read the guide (well written and easy to understand, thanks), and was trying to use Titanium to back up my user app data before flashing. Got myself in over my head reading about secure shells and connect-bot. Glad not not have to try any of that right now. I'll just lose a tiny bit of app data, but that's OK. Am looking forward to ditching stock firmware, seems quirky, doing some annoying and unexpected things.

Ta very much.

Comment

P9 1.9

Flashed mine last night.

Thanks for a great guide rriley backed up my stock ROM with out any issues, then flashed 1.9 with out issues.
            So far everything is working fine, Wifi, all apps, PSU and USB charging, the battery seems good, no problems with my SD card either.

I do have one query though, if I look in the about tablet option in settings it says Android version 4.4.2 which is the same as my stock was. I thought this ROM was based on 4.4.4?

Am I missing something here?

Comment

It's possible they just forgot to change that line in the build.prop. I will take another look, but that's really the only way to tell.
              Randy
              Read my BIO Here
              Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
              Donate here

Comment

I just got my P9 a couple of days ago. It's so much better than my old M6 Pro. I'm still running the stock ROM. Everything is great except for GPS. Per Randy's post I have manually set my time zone. After more than 10 minutes outside in the open using GPS Test the most number of satellites in view was 4. Usually I only get 1. I never got a 3D Fix. At the same time my Nexus 7 found 12 satellites and my S4 phone found 22.

Does anybody else have GPS issues? Would one the newer ROMs make a difference?

Comment

Okay, I have another question. I'm new to flashing Pipo ROMs so please bear with me. Before flashing I wanted to make a backup of my stock ROM. I followed Bob's great instructions for using the ROM Dumper Tool. When I try to dump the parameter file after clicking on the ExportImage button I get the error: Match device type failed, stop running!

Further research on that error tends to indicate that the tablet needs to be in flash mode first. Per a post by Randy, for the P9 you simultaneously press the ESC and Power buttons to manually get into flash mode. My question is: When do I do this? Do I do this before or after connecting the tablet to the PC? Should the tablet be powered off first or does it matter? I don't want to screw anything up so any guidance is much appreciated.

Comment

With the power off, press and hold esc. Then press power and connect the USB cable. The Dumper Tool/Flash Tool should see the tablet in "loader mode". Then you can proceed with Bob's instructions.

If you get stuck in flash mode, just press the reset button (little hole on the back) with a paper clip to turn the tablet off. When you press power it should boot to the system.
                    Randy
                    Read my BIO Here
                    Donate here

Comment

Originally posted by rrileypm View Post
                      With the power off, press and hold esc. Then press power and connect the USB cable. The Dumper Tool/Flash Tool should see the tablet in "loader mode". Then you can proceed with Bob's instructions.

If you get stuck in flash mode, just press the reset button (little hole on the back) with a paper clip to turn the tablet off. When you press power it should boot to the system.

Thanks for the reply Randy. It's much appreciated.

I'm not sure if USB debugging is supposed to be on or off at this point. I tried it both ways with the same results.The tablet doesn't seem to properly launch into "loader mode." When it comes up I get the lying down android icon with an orange triangle with an exclamation point in it. When I connect the usb cable at that point Windows says the usb device is not recognized and the Dumper tool says "no any device found." Am I missing something?

Comment

If you have the driver's loaded correctly...see the First Time User's Guide for installation of the driver...whenever you plug in the tablet while booted to the system you should see the flash tool say "Found 1 Mass Storage Device"...or something like that.

Press the "switch" button, or "reboot to flash mode", the tablet should switch to flash mode.

Somehow you are putting the tablet into "recovery mode" instead of flash mode.

Other things that can prevent this from happening are:

1. You are running Windows 8.1...the drivers aren't compatible with Windows 8.1.
                        2. You are connected to a USB 3.0 port on the PC...the drivers aren't compatible with USB 3.0.
                        3. You aren't using the cable that came with the tablet...you must use the USB cable provided by Pipo because the micro USB connector is longer than a normal one and makes a better connection.

Make sure all of those things are considered.

If you are backing up the userdata partition, remember that in order to restore it...you must choose the parameter file for the same exact size of the partition. The stock partition size is 2gb. If you are planning on increasing the size of app space, restoring this 2gb partition may cause problems...but not always. If you succeed in flashing it and notice strange behavior, you may just need to reflash the ROM and start all over.

The good news is that after you have a rooted tablet, you can install Titanium Backup and Restore from the Google Play Store. I would pay the extra for the key app to unlock all of the features. Under the shortcut settings, "Backup All Apps and System Data". Make sure the backup folder is on your external SD. Then, after a flash you can "Restore Missing Apps with Data" and it will put back all of your apps. Don't restore any system apps, though.

I hope that helps.
                        Randy
                        Read my BIO Here
                        Donate here

Comment

Can't go into Loader mode anymore, please help

Hi Randy,

I got my P9 a couple of weeks ago and I tried to flash this ROM. I opened the instructions and I followed everything up to the point where it said "Erase IDB" and that went well, and the next step would be to click on "Start" in the RKAndroidTool but I just wanted to double check the instructions and make sure I didn't miss anything. Next thing I know the tablet isn't in Loader mode anymore... I guess there was some kind of timeout there.
                          Now I can't get into Loader mode anymore - Windows 7 (32 bit) sais it can't recognize the USB device.
                          I tried with Linux on my laptop - the same thing, I hold power+esc button for 5 sec. and the device should be in Loader mode, but when I plug it into the USB (2) port the rkflashtool freezes for about 30 sec. and then it sais that no device 2as detected.

By the way, I'm able to start Android fine. Although at the initial screen the "PIPO" logo is kinda off (I can post a photo later if you want), which I supposwe is stored in the Android kernel partition (boot), right?
                          Also, any kind of restart doesn't work now. Maybe a side effect of my clicking "erase idb" and forgetting to click "run" in time.
                          When in Android, both my wWin PC and my Linux laptop are able to detect an MSC device. I can also browse the filesystem if I want to.

Also, I was able to flash the TWRP recovery (from your zip) from Android. If you can give me instructions how to flash a ROM from there, that would be great. I hope I can fix my issue this way.
                          Or, if you have any other ideas, I'm all ears. I'll leave opening the tablet to get into MaskRom mode as a last resort. I figure the situation might not be that bad as I'm able to boot into Android.

Any feedback is highly appreciated.

Thanks,
                          Rado

Comment

3. You aren't using the cable that came with the tablet...you must use the USB cable provided by Pipo because the micro USB connector is longer than a normal one and makes a better connection.
                            In my case it was the cable that came with the tablet that caused all my headaches and troubles. As it would not connect using it other than charge. Only after finding a good cable from blackberry devices did I manage a connection

Comment

Originally posted by kaizah View Post
                              In my case it was the cable that came with the tablet that caused all my headaches and troubles. As it would not connect using it other than charge. Only after finding a good cable from blackberry devices did I manage a connection
                              Hi @kaizah, is this in response to my issue?

I am using the original USB cable that came with the tablet, other cables would not even connect in storage mode when Android is using. I assumed the cable is okay as it worked the first time I connected it and RKAndroidTool recognized the device in Loader mode. I'll go ahead and try with all USB cables I can get my hands on and I'll post here if I find one that works. Hopefully it's the cable.

Thanks,
                              Rado

Comment

If you have the driver's loaded correctly...see the First Time User's Guide for installation of the driver...whenever you plug in the tablet while booted to the system you should see the flash tool say "Found 1 Mass Storage Device"...or something like that.

Press the "switch" button, or "reboot to flash mode", the tablet should switch to flash mode.

Somehow you are putting the tablet into "recovery mode" instead of flash mode.

Other things that can prevent this from happening are:

1. You are running Windows 8.1...the drivers aren't compatible with Windows 8.1.
                                2. You are connected to a USB 3.0 port on the PC...the drivers aren't compatible with USB 3.0.

Make sure all of those things are considered.

If you are backing up the userdata partition, remember that in order to restore it...you must choose the parameter file for the same exact size of the partition. The stock partition size is 2gb. If you are planning on increasing the size of app space, restoring this 2gb partition may cause problems...but not always. If you succeed in flashing it and notice strange behavior, you may just need to reflash the ROM and start all over.

The good news is that after you have a rooted tablet, you can install Titanium Backup and Restore from the Google Play Store. I would pay the extra for the key app to unlock all of the features. Under the shortcut settings, "Backup All Apps and System Data". Make sure the backup folder is on your external SD. Then, after a flash you can "Restore Missing Apps with Data" and it will put back all of your apps. Don't restore any system apps, though.

I hope that helps.
                                Thank you very much. I was running Windows 7 with the supplied cable on a usb 2.0 port. I don't know why I could not get the P9 to manually go into loader mode but using the Switch button from the flash tool worked just fine. I'm very grateful for your help with this.

FYI - The usb dirvers you have included with the 1.9 ROM are for the rk3188 chip. I don't know if those work with the P9 or not. I found the rk3288 drivers here:

and that is what I am using. Thank you for the reminder regarding the user data partition. I was planning on increasing its size. I already have the paid version of Titanium Backup.

Finally regarding my first post about my poor GPS performance: Do you think the 1.9 ROM will make any difference?

Comment

Working...
                                X