Pipo P1 RileyROM 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pipo P1 RileyROM 2.0

Wow, I can't believe we've made it through 20 firmware updates for the P1....but here's v2.0.

This ROM is based on the most recent Pipo firmware I could find, dated 2/6/14.

I've done some testing to find out that the firmware did not contain Google Play Store and some other missing Google apps...so I've added them and tested them. You WILL get some errors at the beginning until Google updates some things...but it all goes smoothly.

Also, if you rely on Exchange Services for Hotmail or any corporate email, I recommend that you back up the app with Titanium and restore it to your tablet by restoring missing apps/data. This process worked OK on my tablet. I discovered it after I finished the ROM kits and uploaded them. Once I come up with a better solution, I will make another update.

This ROM is very bare bones from the beginning. Virtually nothing on board. The standard Pipo kernel brand image isn't even present.

The 3G version has straight stock settings. I used the same firmware for the wifi version, but made some more aggressive tweaking to disable 3G services to save on battery consumption. So if you are having problems with the wifi version...then use the 3G ROM.

Another thing I've added is a boot.img file that swaps internal and external SD cards. This is useful for gamers and people who want more internal SD space. It's also a very good way to restore your Titanium backup without having to configure the backup location.

This ROM is:

Rooted
    Debloated
    English as default language
    init.d support added
    Busybox commands added
    Multi-User support added without the need for Xposed Framework
    Google Play Store fixes added
    Reboot app by Petrus
    Your choice of 4, 6, 8, 10 and 12gb user app space (select the parameter file you want to flash) The default is 6gb
    Optional TWRP Recovery included in the RileyROM folder, thanks to Abdul_pt (flash TWRP after the first boot with stock recovery).

Thanks to Geekbuying.com for providing me this and many other Pipo tablets to develop.

I recommend flashing stock recovery first to format all of the partitions. If you want to use TWRP, you can flash it by itself after the first boot by unchecking all of the ROM components and just select recovery. Then browse the recovery line to the TWRP recovery file in the RileyROM folder.

EDIT: This is now v2.0.1
    I've added some missing Google Apps to make email, calendar, Google Play Store, and Download Manager work. The camera doesn't work on this ROM. None of the drivers were installed for it...so if the camera is important to you...go back to v1.8. I can't see a way at this time to get the camera working on this ROM...anytime soon, anyway.

Download Wifi Version
    Download 3G Version

Enjoy!!!!!!

Please consider donating to the link in my signature to support more RileyROM development.
    Last edited by rrileypm; 03-07-2015, 19:36.
    Randy
    Freaktab Developer, Product Reviewer, Moderator and "Flashaholic".
    Read my BIO Here
    Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
    Donate here

Besides exchange services...there's some other apps...like for the camera that are missing. I will be gathering up some apps to add to this ROM over the weekend.
    Randy
    Read my BIO Here
    Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
    Donate here

Comment

Pipo P1 Riley ROM 2.0

Hi

Thank you really for Providing us the User of Pipo P1 Tablets
      with another of your great Custom ROM´s

Sadly i experienced that the Provided link doesn't seems to be Working.

I tried both, 3G, and WiFi - versions.

by the Way, what happened to version 1.9 ?

i tried it, had the mentioned Missing Playstore, and other Issues... but it seemed Promising

Currently i am using version 1.8 which i really like, no Issues so far.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR WORK !

Comment

Since I found a newer firmware, I decided to concentrate my efforts on v2.0.

1.9 was posted in the latter parts of the 1.8 thread. I didn't start a new thread for 1.9 because testing revealed some problems. As with this ROM, there were some missing apps...which creates some work on my end to fix...so I felt that my time would be better spent on v2.0.

The link to 2.0 is fixed...however I would wait until I post an updated version with the proper apps necessary to download files and connect to Exchange services.

Stay tuned for 2.0.1. I'm working on it right now.
        Randy
        Read my BIO Here
        Donate here

Comment

Quick Test

Hi

Again, thank you so much for all your Work !

I Installed the Pipo P1 WiFi ROM version 2.0

as you said, after first Boot i received a few Error Messages regarding Playstore, or Google Services.
          After logging in into my Google Account, and downloading the Necessary Updates the Error Messages disappear.
          Another Point was the Super User App, it requested to Update its Binary's
          after first Boot i already Installed the TWRP Recovery, so i was choosing the Point- Install Superuser Binary's by TWRP during restart.
          Seemed Successfully done, didn't receive any more Error Messages then.

WiFi seemed OK, good reception, and fast downloads, no Signal Dropping.

I was running the latest Antutu Benchmark on this version, after Installation i made a reboot, the Benchmark result was : 33085 Points

the System didn't quite feel as smooth as the version 1.8 but maybe that was just my experience.

Anyway, thank you so much for your Work

Comment

I've been working on injecting some Google Apps into the ROM and doing some testing. I think I have a better ROM for sure. I just need to do some cleanup before uploading v2.0.1.

My tablet's battery is quite low, so I've put it on the charger for a while before attempting one last flash.

I have everything working, I think. I will see about updating SuperSU on this next version so you don't have to update it yourself.
            Randy
            Read my BIO Here
            Donate here

Comment

v2.0.1 is now ready for download. I've changed the links in post #1.

One thing I've found out is that although I've tried adding the camera app to this ROM...it doesn't connect. All support for the camera was omitted. So until I do some more testing and changing, I'm afraid the camera won't work. If you take a lot of pictures with your tablet...go with v1.8 for now (it's not a bad ROM either).

You may find that v1.8 is better. That's OK with me. I just like to provide options.
              Randy
              Read my BIO Here
              Donate here

Comment

short Test of version 2.01

Wow, great, thanks again for Supporting us and keeping us in touch with the latest ROM´s

great Work of yours, again !

wish to share a few experiences with this latest Version 2.01
                i am using the WiFi version.

-Installation went smooth, no real Problems so far, just one thing, the Dock Bar including Home Button, and Volume Buttons where Missing mostly.
                same also for the Drawer, or what it`s called ( the Upper Bar)

-I tried both Runtime Environments, Dalvik, and ART as well
                ( i am Preferring ART,especially there`s a Security Issue with Dalvik)

testing both Environments with Antutu after a restart, nothing additionally running in the Background, i got Scores of :
                Dalvik : 34587 second run i got 35813 Points
                ART : 34678

great Work of yours, as ALWAYS !

Thanks a bundle

Comment

Questions not directly related to a specific ROM

Sorry about disturbing you again, but there are some constantly Nagging Questions i have .

-first thing, there are a bunch of different Tablet P.C`s based Upon the Rockchip RK3288 SOC out there, even from Pipo.
                  what besides the Screen resolution are the reason some of them are already running Lollipop, or 4.4.4 Android.
                  Are the reason the Hardware drivers required, which aren't suitable for those System.
                  Sure one reason are the required Work getting things running, and the Optimisation, concerning Performance, and Battery Life.

For me, one of the main reasons I've chosen this Rockchip Powered Tablet was the Promising CPU /GPU - Performance, fit for the coming 4K Experience.

Therefore most disappointing for me are that the maximum resolution at HDMI output are just full HD

- why some RK3288 based TV boxes feature full 4K resolution output, HDMI 2.0, and those Tablet not ?, is it just about a configuration File, or the 1.4 version of the HDMI output chip who's limitating.

- why there are some RK3288 based tablets featuring dual booting into Linux, or Windows (Teclast)
                  me, Personally, i would Love to have Linux Ubuntu, or Debian Plain running.

Thanks for all !
                  -Maybe you know the answers to most of the questions already
                  Last edited by doom; 03-08-2015, 14:11.

Comment

I'm not sure why Pipo decided to go with 4.4.2 instead of 4.4.4 on the P1. The P4 is running 4.4.4 quite well.

I've discovered that the brand name factories only do the hardware. They contract with Rockchip to do their firmware for them....so Rockchip has more control of what version of Android goes on each device. We found that out when we started doing new kernels for the RK3188 devices that Pipo gave us the sources for. The sources actually came from Rockchip, not Pipo.

Screen resolution settings are set in the kernel...which source code is required to change. So unless RK/Pipo decide to offer that option they will need to change the kernel.

I'm running the wifi version on my P1 and I don't see the problems you are reporting. I will do some more testing with it today. It is possible that I placed the wrong permissions on the SystemUI.apk file. If you have a rooted file manager, you might try changing the permissions and see if it starts working.
                    Randy
                    Read my BIO Here
                    Donate here

Comment

Thanks for the Info`s about Rockchip, and Pipo

Thank you for your Insight Information regarding Pipo with Rockchip, good to know.

So, what do you think is it Possible using an RK3288 Kernel of, let`s say, a TV-Box, or from the P4
                      Tablet P.C. and use the Resources from P1.
                      As i know they contain the Hardware drivers.

Would that work, just adjusting the DPI setting to the P1 resolution, and DPI it Natively has. ?

Since both are based Upon the same RK3288

Comment

Originally posted by rrileypm View Post
                        This ROM is based on the most recent Pipo firmware I could find, dated 2/6/14.
                        It is perhaps a stupid question, but...
                        Why don't you use the latest firmware available on pipo website ?
                        Here : http://www.pipo.cn/En/index.php?m=Ab...an_show&id=193

Christophe

Comment

Originally posted by doom View Post
                          Thank you for your Insight Information regarding Pipo with Rockchip, good to know.

So, what do you think is it Possible using an RK3288 Kernel of, let`s say, a TV-Box, or from the P4
                          Tablet P.C. and use the Resources from P1.
                          As i know they contain the Hardware drivers.

Would that work, just adjusting the DPI setting to the P1 resolution, and DPI it Natively has. ?

Since both are based Upon the same RK3288
                          While in the TV box world...kernels are sometimes interchangeable...not so AT ALL with tablets. Tablets come with different displays, touch screens, GPS, camera, wifi, bluetooth...gyro sensors....and a bunch of other stuff that are literally different with each device. Even Pipo doesn't have common parts for each of the tablets they sell. So the kernel for the P1 must be compiled especially for the P1.

Sometimes you get some things working...but usually it's the display and touch screen that you can't get past. Unless the kernel developer has included the code for changing the DPI resolution...you are stuck with what you have.
                          Randy
                          Read my BIO Here
                          Donate here

Comment

Originally posted by Akshaan View Post
                            It is perhaps a stupid question, but...
                            Why don't you use the latest firmware available on pipo website ?
                            Here : http://www.pipo.cn/En/index.php?m=Ab...an_show&id=193

Christophe
                            Not a stupid question at all.

I actually used that firmware for v1.8.

This was just another firmware release that was a little different that I found.

The results of 2.0 weren't fully known until I put together this ROM...and tested it.

For me, the most stable and complete ROM for the P1 is v1.8 for now.
                            Randy
                            Read my BIO Here
                            Donate here

Comment

Additionally, the date of the ROM I downloaded was 2/6/15...so I thought it was a much newer firmware than it actually turned out to be.

I guess I need to scrutinize my sources a bit more before I release a
                              new ROM.

It took me hours to get Google Apps installed, only to find out that the firmware doesn't have camera support.
                              Randy
                              Read my BIO Here
                              Donate here

Comment

Working...
                              X