Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Pipo-Project]Freaktab to Continue Pipo Firmware Support on Discontinued Models

Great News for Pipo tablet owners!!!!!!!

One of the biggest challenges faced by the custom firmware community has been trying to fix firmware deficiencies without having the source code to build custom stock kernels. While we've found workarounds to some problems, the real fix has to be made in the kernels. Some developers with a lot of time on their hands have been able to reverse engineer the firmware...but most of us don't have that luxury.

From your user requests, I was able to get final firmware versions from Pipo for each of "last year's models" to make my last batch of RileyROM's before Pipo ended support for them. During the process, I was able to make some contacts within the Pipo company and negotiate a little bit more for us.

After making literally hundreds of Pipo RileyROM's using stock firmware as my base, our friends at Pipo have noticed that our development has increased sales of their products.

Freaktab.com is happy to announce a new agreement with Pipo for further firmware support on their discontinued models.

What exactly does that mean?

Pipo is providing Freaktab.com developers the source code to their tablets they have stopped supporting.

We have a handful of kernel developers who will take these sources and provide us with new firmware versions to attempt to address those lingering issues. Before you ask...I'm not even sure if we can upgrade a tablet to the next Android version...but when we look at the sources, we will see what we can do.

Generally, a manufacturer only provides firmware updates for the products they currently have in production. Therefore, while hardware warranties may still be in effect, further firmware development halts as their in-house developers move on to the next model. Because of this, we've seen some very good devices never reach their full potential performance...with one or two faults that did not get cleared up before firmware development ended.

Our goal is to take the sources from Pipo and get your feedback on each of these models to see what needs to be addressed and get some of these problems ultimately fixed. Many of these issues are well documented in the Pipo RileyROM threads. For each tablet, just go to the Current ROM for your tablet model and make your comments in the RileyROM thread.

Now please understand this...all of us Freaktab.com developers are hobbyists. We all have families, and full time jobs, which clearly come first. As you have seen...we've also been quite busy with the Freakbox Project...so we want to take our time and get things right.

We are not providing hardware support...just firmware support...so we will be taking baby steps at first...concentrating on select devices we already own to test.

We plan on a Triage approach to deciding which tablets will be supported...based on what needs the most attention. We may take a look at a certain model and determine that the last firmware release is as good as it gets...and move on to the next device. That will be a judgement call on our part, based on our experience. There may be some hardware limitations that prevent us from making some changes.

Our crystal ball is a little hazy right now on just exactly how quickly we see any results, or how successfully we will be in fixing some of the problems. As of now, we have not even seen the sources. We aren't promising the holy grail...but this is a major step toward providing you with fresh firmware releases past the manufacturer's support cycle.

The fact that Pipo is willing to work with us at all boosts my confidence in choosing Pipo products to own.

As I get more information on this project, I will keep everyone up to date. Also, be looking for a web site dedicated to promotion of this Pipo Project.

Thanks to Neomode and Finless, we've started a new web page just for this project called Pipo-Project.com. Be looking at this site as we begin work on the sources.

And just as you do when you go out to eat...be sure to tip the developers...hahaha!!!!!!
    Last edited by rrileypm; 09-11-2014, 05:52.
    Randy
    Freaktab Developer, Product Reviewer, Moderator and "Flashaholic".
    Read my BIO Here
    Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
    Donate here

Great news!!!! Thanks to you guys that take time for this hobby. This is why most of us stick to this forum. I am mostly a reader, and this forum helps makes this hobby more fun. Donations are in order.

I have 4 pipo models : S1 pro, U8, M9 Max, and my new P1 from geekbuying

Comment

bingo

patience and passion finally pay,
      tks a lot for having negotiated randy !
      now let the fun begin,
      I own an m7pro and have some skills, i would like its kernel source code please, how can I get it ?

Comment

Excellent News

Hi All,
        This is some excellent news that should keep you developers busy over the coming months. It would be great to see which models you are going to work with and keep on providing your superb support for. Getting 4.4.4 Android on all u devices would be a good start!! :-) I suspect we will all have our own wishes depending on the tablet we each own, so I won't start a bidding war (yet!) If you could keep us posted somehow with a list of models you will be working on that would be great - well done with your negotiations and lets hope the community of (almost) satisfied Pipo owners will spread the word!

Comment

Fantastic!

Nothing more to say, this is great news!

Comment

Re: [Pipo-Project]Freaktab to Continue Pipo Firmware Support on Discontinued Models

Originally posted by raxy View Post
            patience and passion finally pay,
            tks a lot for having negotiated randy !
            now let the fun begin,
            I own an m7pro and have some skills, i would like its kernel source code please, how can I get it ?
            The M7P is on the list.

We are starting first with the M8HD and the M9 because those are the tablets I have developers for right now.

It will help having developers who actually have these tablets to test. If you have experience PM me and we can talk.
            Randy
            Read my BIO Here
            Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
            Donate here

Comment

Great news, well done!

Comment

Awesome news.. this will keep me on recomending pipo. (and this forum as well)

Comment

will you publish sources to github ?

Comment

Good news! I hope you won't forget about M6pro.

Comment

That's on the list. Thanks.
                      Randy
                      Read my BIO Here
                      Donate here

Comment

Re: [Pipo-Project]Freaktab to Continue Pipo Firmware Support on Discontinued Models

Originally posted by dmr View Post
                        will you publish sources to github ?
                        I really don't have an answer for that right now. Good question, though.

I'm sure that there is a Non Disclosure Agreement we will have to adhere to. But the way I look at it, last week we had nothing...this week we do...and its an exciting step.
                        Randy
                        Read my BIO Here
                        Donate here

Comment

This is a very good news for pipo owners: there are many unfinished firmwares!
                          Now at least some of them could reach the stability whised for months or years....
                          if you appreciate my efforts this is the link for any donation:
                          https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...NonHostedGuest

Comment

M8 pro support?

Great news. Is there any plans to support the m8 pro?

I had one of the ones that couldnt be updated to kitkat

Comment

Good news

Is the m6 max in the list?

THX

Comment

Working...
                              X