Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blurring fixed?

Originally posted by mac3blade View Post
    I am having the same problem as Danie -- after some seemingly random amount of time, my tablet loses horizontal sync (assuming wide, camera at the top orientation). Occasionally, static glitches show at the top or bottom of the screen as well. The amount of sync offset varies but usually is a couple mm.

Does not seem to be related to any specific apps or category (eg browsers). Just the launcher open with no other apps running can trigger it.

A quick sleep-unsleep powervbutton push immediately fixes it; no reboot needed.

Aside from this, seems faster and more reliable than 3.0.1 and 3.4.

Thanks

Not sure why I didn't try this earlier, but a reset with a pin in the reset hole appears to have fixed my blurred screen issue. Super smooth now.

Thanks.

Comment

Pin reset did *not* fix sync issue after all

Well, I spoke too soon. The screen was normal for a little over a day but now I have the same horizontal sync issue. Not sure if I should just go back to 3.0.1?

Any ideas what might be going on?

Not sure why I didn't try this earlier, but a reset with a pin in the reset hole appears to have fixed my blurred screen issue. Super smooth now.

Thanks.

Comment

The fact that you managed to fix the problem, temporarily, by pressing the reset button points to a very familiar hardware problem.

The display and touch panel are attached to the motherboard by a ribbon cable with a very sensitive connector. If you are game for a little surgery...you might try removing the back cover and giving the connectors for these ribbon cables a firm press into place. There might be a loose connection.

When you pressed the reset button, you might have adjusted the cable with pressure on the motherboard and after some time, the connection failed again.

This has happened a few times for me.

Also, since nobody else has mentioned the same symptoms...it supports my idea of a hardware issue on your tablet.
        Randy
        Freaktab Developer, Product Reviewer, Moderator and "Flashaholic".
        Read my BIO Here
        Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
        Donate here

Comment

Screen issues disappeared with 3.0.1

Randy

Thanks for the reply. I would tend to agree that it seems like a hardware problem, but it happened immediately after I installed the ROM and disappeared *immediately* after I reverted to 3.0.1.

I am, however, willing to give 1.0.3 another chance.

Even though my tablet is currently running perfectly under 3.0.1, I'll crack it open, re-seat the cables, and give 1.0.3 a second shot.

I'll let you know how my screen looks tomorrow.

Again, thanks for the input.

Originally posted by rrileypm View Post
          The fact that you managed to fix the problem, temporarily, by pressing the reset button points to a very familiar hardware problem.

The display and touch panel are attached to the motherboard by a ribbon cable with a very sensitive connector. If you are game for a little surgery...you might try removing the back cover and giving the connectors for these ribbon cables a firm press into place. There might be a loose connection.

When you pressed the reset button, you might have adjusted the cable with pressure on the motherboard and after some time, the connection failed again.

This has happened a few times for me.

Also, since nobody else has mentioned the same symptoms...it supports my idea of a hardware issue on your tablet.

Comment

Screen blur returns after upgrading to 3.0.1

Didn't even have to wait until tomorrow. Within ten minutes of flashing 1.0.3, I get the exact same sync issues. This despite checking the ribbon cable (which did not appear loose at all and is held in place with glue from the Pipo factory).

Again, I had no issues at all with 3.0.1 -- I think I am going back, despite the random reboots. The screen issue is just too severe and frequent.

Thanks

Randy

Thanks for the reply. I would tend to agree that it seems like a hardware problem, but it happened immediately after I installed the ROM and disappeared *immediately* after I reverted to 3.0.1.

I am, however, willing to give 1.0.3 another chance.

Even though my tablet is currently running perfectly under 3.0.1, I'll crack it open, re-seat the cables, and give 1.0.3 a second shot.

I'll let you know how my screen looks tomorrow.

Again, thanks for the input.

Comment

One thing you might try is to flash this ROM with the 3.0 kernel. That would narrow down whether the problem is with the ROM or the kernel.
              Randy
              Read my BIO Here
              Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
              Donate here

Comment

1.0.3 ROM won't boot with kernel 406 or 407

One thing you might try is to flash this ROM with the 3.0 kernel. That would narrow down whether the problem is with the ROM or the kernel.

For science, I tried both the 406 and 407 kernels. In both cases, the tablet got as far as the background and the little center circle with tiles in the middle and then froze. No default icons, no response to touch. Same thing with both the 406 and 407 versions.

I erased NAND twice each time and ran the flasher as Administrator. I think I did everything right but no love from the 1.0.3 ROM and 3.0 kernel combo, so impossible to tell which one is causing my crazy screen sync issues.

Thanks for the idea, though. I'm back to 3.0.1 and I suppose stuck here until another idea comes up.

And thanks for all the effort you've put into these ROMs, Randy.

Comment

Did you get your tablet brand new? Or was it used or refurbished?

That makes a difference.

Some items that were returned to Pipo were refurbished by third party and different displays and touch screens were installed. We've found this on several Pipo models which require different kernel settings to get everything working correctly.

It's possible that you might have a hardware variation that works with the old firmware, but not with the most recent firmware.

It's just an idea.

Maybe Raxy is up for some alternative kernels for you to try...but I don't know exactly what is involved. So I can't promise anything.
                  Randy
                  Read my BIO Here
                  Donate here

Comment

Did you get your tablet brand new? Or was it used or refurbished?
                    I bought it (purportedly) new from BangGood.com - looked new when I took it out of the box and I've never had any indication that it wasn't.

Comment

Hmmmm, I will have to let Raxy chime in on this discussion. I don't have anymore ideas.
                      Randy
                      Read my BIO Here
                      Donate here

Comment

That sounds as the most probable reason randy. As I stated before, mine has issues with the most recent firmwares, and not with the old JB ones made by PIPO.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Comment

Hey randy at what point are we with this rom? Where is stevejc he is not online recently

Sent from my P9 using Tapatalk
                          PROUD owner of PiPO M9 Pro
                          PiPO P9 best tablet ever owned!!!

PiPO Tablet Freak and Flashaholic!

Comment

I, like you, have just been waiting for Stevejc to post an update. Progress depends on his magic right now.

Otherwise, unless Steve has some additions to the system, the ROM is pretty much done.
                            Randy
                            Read my BIO Here
                            Donate here

Comment

(The display and touch panel are attached to the motherboard by a ribbon cable with a very sensitive connector. If you are game for a little surgery...you might try removing the back cover and giving the connectors for these ribbon cables a firm press into place. There might be a loose connection.) - from previous post by Randy, not sure why it is not coming up in 'quotes'?

A Ha !! I think I did report this issue a while back, and I also put it down to failing hardware. I have dropped the tablet a couple of times, so it is possible I have dislodged my connectors - it seems that it is time for me to get the knives out and open her up!! I will take some photos as I go, although I think there are others who have been here before me. I will report back later, but it may be some time later!
                              Last edited by colinabroad; 03-10-2015, 00:40. Reason: quotes not working

Comment

Hahaha!!!!! I thought I was having a flashback, Colin...until I saw that last sentence in the first paragraph.

I hope the surgery goes well!!!!!!! On your tablet, that is......
                                Randy
                                Read my BIO Here
                                Donate here

Comment

Working...
                                X