This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Polaroid P700 TEST ROM 1.0 by Finless

OK here is my first fully rooted TEST ROM. I did minimal changes just to test if it flashes and full root works.

Here are the changes:
    1) Converted system.img from cramfs to ext3 RW
    2) Modified boot.img to support using system as ext3
    3) Injected SU and Superuser.apk
    4) Chmod to required directories for root access

Now for those of you new to my ROM. Understand because of the structural changes you MUST FLASH using my flashing tool provided in the kit. This means you must install the Android drivers! I can make an update.img but because of the structure changes, it cannot simply be placed on the SD card and rebooted. The Recovery system updater script cannot handle the change in structure for just an update flash. So even if I made a update.img it would have to be flashed using the RKBatch tool. I am using the RK Android tool 1.29. This allows you to flash certain .img files. My setup on run checks all the boxes for the img's except backup.img (not needed) and the loader is not checked.

Now regarding the loader. The one that comes with the stock ROM is very old! I use version 2.08. I have left both version in the Image folder of my ROM kit. Some people using my ROM coming from stock have had issues flash. It either fails when formatting data or cache or does not take the flash properly. Therefore you can try it without checking the loader box but if something does work, then try again hecking the loader box which will install Loader 2.08. I suggest just to do that anyway out of the gate based on what I know.

ALSO if you flash my ROM to go back to stock you once again MUST use the RKBatch tool to flash the update.img. You cannot simply copy over the stock update.img to SDCard!

OK in the ROM is a readme. It was made for the Arnova 10 G2. Everything is fine to follow except how to get the tablet in recovery mode to use the flash tool. I do not have this tablet and thus do not know how to do it. If this ROM works, could someone please type up the instruction for how to put it in recovery so I can update the readme when I do a official ROM with Market.

FINALLY... this is a TEST ROM!!! I have no way to test it. I am simply going on experience of doing other ROMs. They are all pretty much the same as far as how you go about it but you never know if I missed something. THEREFORE USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! I am not responsible if you brick your tablet! The good news is the RK29 architecture always allows you to flash back with the stock update.img using the RKBatch tool.

Let me know how this works!

ROM -> Polaroid P700 Full Root TEST Version 1.0 by Finless (98 megs)

Enjoy,
    Bob
    "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
    "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
    "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
    "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
    "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
    "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
    "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
    "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
    "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

I'll try it in the morning !

Any one try this yet? I am downloading now but its slow so I'll try in morning.

With tablet off hold menu and plug in USB for the rk29 device in Windows.
    Last edited by jandrosh; 02-02-2012, 03:48.

Comment

Downloading Now!

By the way, booting into "rock usb" mode is very easy.

1) Make sure tablet is off

2) While holding the volume down (or any physical button) plug in the usb cord OR hit the reset on the back

Tried with all boxes including loader selected and it stuck in recovery mode

Is there a reason your system parameter is far off from the original? I figure there is a reason, like larger file size or something, but I just wanted to check anyway. I also noticed your backup parameter matches our original system.img

Started over, tried original loader, same result. Great progress so far, thank you for all of your help. Tomorrow I plan to take a look into your images and see if I can spot anything
      Last edited by chidave09; 02-02-2012, 04:29.

Comment

Yes you have to make system larger for ext3. Cramfs is a RO compressed system. When it is uncompressed for EXT3 it gets much larger and you have to make /system larger in return.

Where does it hang please? On my boot screen? Or does it go past that?

See I have a feeling the copied out system files are not right. When you copied them out were you in windows? Or linux? Did you use the CP with the -r parameter? -r is a must use as symbolic links are copied as well. When I looked it also seems the files all got "touched" with new dates which may effect the system. Boot IMG files MUST be not date touched which is when when I repack it I have to touch all the files and folders to, believe it or not, 1970 or it will not boot!

Bob

Comment

OK whoever has modified Cramfs to support mounting this tablets system.img please use this script to make a new IMG file for me. This will ensure all gets copied properly!

If using Ubuntu or something that you are not root logged on please use the sudo command to run this script. Make sure the system.img is not already mounted!!! If so
          sudo umount system

Copy these lines into a new document. Call it run.sh

Then at the command prompt type sudo bash run.sh
          It should compete without errors. Ignore the block specific device warnng and answer y to the prompt when it comes up.

Here is the script:

#!/bin/sh

mkdir system
          mkdir system2
          sudo mount -t cramfs -o loop system.img system
          sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=system2.img bs=1M count=180
          sudo /sbin/mkfs.ext3 system2.img
          sudo mount -t ext3 -o loop system2.img system2
          sudo cp -r system/* system2
          sudo umount system
          sudo umount system2

OK once done post a copy of the system2.img and I will try again to make the ROM.

Bob

Comment

I now have a working ROM for this tablet. I am closing this test thread and will open a new thread for the ROM.

Bob

Comment

Working...