HOW TO ROOT POLAROID PMID705X?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HOW TO ROOT POLAROID PMID705X?

Okay got elektrik's rom to install... had to install the 32 bit drivers and put them in compatibility mode for win7 64bit... how weird... anyway the rom is awesome, had to download the superuser app as well, funny thing is super su asked for root access from superuser once it was installed... anyway I like how my market (aka play store) is no longer fighting me and fc'ing all the time. Thanks elektrik for a kick@ss rom and I look forward to any future releases :-)

Snapped from my Elektrik Polaroid PMID705X

Comment

Faster?

Will this rom make the tablet noticeably faster, or just give super user access? I just want the games to run a bit faster for my boys when they use these.

Comment

Flipping from screen to screen, the browser, and Google play all seem faster to me, but I have not tried games yet...

Another thing I did after getting everything to work was to download Rom Toolbox (I own the pro, but light will work too) to remove the SuperSU (don't need two SU apps), facebook and twitter apps, and replaced the launcher with ADWLauncher EX(the paid version).

Comment

Originally posted by hootowlserenade View Post
          Okay got elektrik's rom to install... had to install the 32 bit drivers and put them in compatibility mode for win7 64bit... how weird... anyway the rom is awesome, had to download the superuser app as well, funny thing is super su asked for root access from superuser once it was installed... anyway I like how my market (aka play store) is no longer fighting me and fc'ing all the time. Thanks elektrik for a kick@ss rom and I look forward to any future releases :-)

Snapped from my Elektrik Polaroid PMID705X
          np! @ howto: probably won't be more release other than to 'fix' the su thing (although I'm not sure why it isn't working).

@yorimoto: no, it doesn't speed anything up. unfortunately I don't have this device and I have a strict rule of tweaking only the tablets i have or that can run the same ROM that my devices have.
          Last edited by elektrik; 04-04-2013, 01:27.
          https://public.bay.livefilestore.com...ion.png?psid=1

Comment

I guess I am thinking along the lines of memory freed up = better app performance. Lack of bloat makes it so that there is more space for apps?

I'm not sure yet if the slowness that I have seen is due to a slow processor or due to system memory being consumed. I may try this and use the tips provided to see if things work better.

BTW... One app that seems to be really slow is "Where's my water?"

Comment

Now that a few of us have gotten this thing rooted and cleaned up can anyone suggest a decent launcher for it? That one that comes with it sucks (understatement), and my only experience with launchers has been on my phones (this is my first tablet).

Comment

Originally posted by Jim1971 View Post
                Now that a few of us have gotten this thing rooted and cleaned up can anyone suggest a decent launcher for it? That one that comes with it sucks (understatement), and my only experience with launchers has been on my phones (this is my first tablet).
                i like Apex launcher. based on my (completely subjective) tests, it seems to run the fastest with our tablets

Comment

Originally posted by elektrik View Post
                  i like Apex launcher. based on my (completely subjective) tests, it seems to run the fastest with our tablets
                  Thanks, I'll give it a try

Comment

Launcher

I put Lightning on it and it works pretty well. It worked great for me because I was able to remove some of the controls that my 3 year old would mess with. We bought these so my boys would not always want to use my wife's iPad.

The new rom was easy to install. Thanks Jim for the tips. I have removed Facebook, Twitter, email, search, etc. to trim down the memory footprint.

"Where's my water" works fine on the rooted device, where it is unplayable on the one that is still on the stock rom.

Still tweaking, but the new rom has made these tablets usable.

Comment

HOW TO ROOT POLAROID PMID705X?

np! @ howto: probably won't be more release other than to 'fix' the su thing (although I'm not sure why it isn't working). @yorimoto: no, it doesn't speed anything up. unfortunately I don't have this device and I have a strict rule of tweaking only the tablets i have or that can run the same ROM that my devices have.
                      Thank you Elektrik, it took me a while to respond because I was debating if I would return the device for another one. I just finished rooting after a few tries, my device wasn't being recognized, then I to reset it and it was recognized. Google play is working. Good looking out for us newbies who do need step-by-step instructions.

Comment

Originally posted by ysheila76 View Post
                        Thank you Elektrik, it took me a while to respond because I was debating if I would return the device for another one. I just finished rooting after a few tries, my device wasn't being recognized, then I to reset it and it was recognized. Google play is working. Good looking out for us newbies who do need step-by-step instructions.
                        No problem-I was a newbie once too ;-)

Comment

Elektrik ROM - ICS or JB?

hehe. and THAT my friends is why I put the 'experimental' tag on ROMs for hardware I don't own-way too hard to troubleshoot without testers hehe
                          Elektrik - First I want to say thank you for sharing this ROM and thanks to Jim 1971 for sharing your successful troubleshooting. I followed Jim1971's method of renaming the img file and the installation went well, but I have a couple of questions:

1. I started with Android 4.1 and discovered my tablet is now confirmed rooted, but I now have 4.0 (ICS), not JB. Is your ROM JB? If so, then I did something wrong.
                          2. I looked at your downloads and found PMID705X.img (the one I installed) and PMID705X_REV1.img. Do you have a post somewhere that explains the difference?

Again, thanks very much. If it turns out your ROMs are ICS, I'm happy anyway. I prefer rooted & debloated ICS over the stock JB any day! P.S. - Thanks for Google Play. That's a big plus!

Comment

Re: HOW TO ROOT POLAROID PMID705X?

The ROMs are ICS and not jb. Even the stock image file from the polaroid website is for ICS.

Sent from the cutting edge of my Droid RAZR MAXX

Comment

Originally posted by hootowlserenade View Post
                              The ROMs are ICS and not jb. Even the stock image file from the polaroid website is for ICS.

Sent from the cutting edge of my Droid RAZR MAXX

Correct-my modified ROMis based on the stock off their website. maybe I should put a warning before you guys download to say something like 'check to see if you have or want ics before you flash this'

Comment

A notice wouldn't hurt, but I don't have a problem with ICS. My phone is an HTC Rezound with ICS - rooted with a custom ROM and I'm happy with it too.

So how about that PMID705X_REV1.img file. Is it worth the trouble to use it to replace the earlier version?

Comment

Working...
                                X