Is there Rom/Root for Polaroid S7?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there Rom/Root for Polaroid S7?

I just bought a Polaroid S7. I want to install a custom rom or at the very least root it and install google play store. I looked through the list of roms but did not see anything for S7. I tried searching for "S7" but it is too short.
    Thanks for any help.

Originally posted by mikysee View Post
    I just bought a Polaroid S7. I want to install a custom rom or at the very least root it and install google play store. I looked through the list of roms but did not see anything for S7. I tried searching for "S7" but it is too short.
    Thanks for any help.
    howdy. never ever heard of that model before. I'm wondering if perhaps this is a new one. We'vre heard of the Polaroid m7 tablets, but not an *S7*....can you post specs on it perhaps? did you buy it in the states or were you perhaps traveling?
    https://public.bay.livefilestore.com...ion.png?psid=1

Comment

Originally posted by elektrik View Post
      howdy. never ever heard of that model before. I'm wondering if perhaps this is a new one. We'vre heard of the Polaroid m7 tablets, but not an *S7*....can you post specs on it perhaps? did you buy it in the states or were you perhaps traveling?
      I bought it from kohls website. https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-14...net-tablet.jsp

Here are the specs:
      Product Features:
      • Capacitive touchscreen
      • Front and rear cameras
      • Bluetooth enabled
      • Wireless web browsing
      • Download apps and e-books
      • Store and play music, videos and pictures
      • Built-in speaker

What's Included:
      • USB cable
      • AC charger
      • User manual

Product Details:
      • Screen: 7 inches
      • Operating system: Android 4.1 Jelly Bean
      • Processor: dual core, 1.6GHz ARM Cortex A9
      • RAM: 1GB/DDR3
      • Screen resolution: 1024 x 600 (16:9)
      • Internal memory: 4GB
      • External memory: Micro SD card
      • Networking: Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n
      • Battery: rechargeable lithium-ion polymer
      • Model no. S7BK

Comment

Originally posted by mikysee View Post
        I bought it from kohls website. https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-14...net-tablet.jsp

Here are the specs:
        Product Features:
        • Capacitive touchscreen
        • Front and rear cameras
        • Bluetooth enabled
        • Wireless web browsing
        • Download apps and e-books
        • Store and play music, videos and pictures
        • Built-in speaker

What's Included:
        • USB cable
        • AC charger
        • User manual

Product Details:
        • Screen: 7 inches
        • Operating system: Android 4.1 Jelly Bean
        • Processor: dual core, 1.6GHz ARM Cortex A9
        • RAM: 1GB/DDR3
        • Screen resolution: 1024 x 600 (16:9)
        • Internal memory: 4GB
        • External memory: Micro SD card
        • Networking: Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n
        • Battery: rechargeable lithium-ion polymer
        • Model no. S7BK
        I'm wondering if that's a 'rebranded' PMID 720 which is also brand new. Polaroid's pulled this trick before (Aka PMID 703C/PTAB7XC). How long is the battery life just out of curiosity? I'm guessing about 2 1/2 hours. If so, I'm willing to wager it's definitely a PMID720 on the inside. Unfortunately there has been no stock ROM issued for the tablet(s) so I can't do much with it (yet), especially since I don't own one.

Comment

Originally posted by elektrik View Post
          I'm wondering if that's a 'rebranded' PMID 720 which is also brand new. Polaroid's pulled this trick before (Aka PMID 703C/PTAB7XC). How long is the battery life just out of curiosity? I'm guessing about 2 1/2 hours. If so, I'm willing to wager it's definitely a PMID720 on the inside. Unfortunately there has been no stock ROM issued for the tablet(s) so I can't do much with it (yet), especially since I don't own one.
          I don't know about battery life. After turning it on and not seeing the play store and looking online and not finding any roms, I put it back in the box and ready to return it.

Comment

Would be interested in learning how to get Google Play on this tablet also, as I just purchased this weekend from Kohls for my daughter's birthday. I have some knowledge, but of course, more step-by-step is helpful. May try one of the other model steps and see if that works also.

Comment

Just got my S7 rooted and Gapped. gie me a couple hours to make a package, write instructions, and upload it all.

Comment

Bow Before Me

Alrighty. First, What you need:

A crappy app, called Moborobo. It does some wicked magic to make adb work with this tab without drivers, tho. Download from their website: www.moborobo.com/‎ EDIT: moroboro installs 2 apps on your tablet, just remove them when done.

This zip file: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...Bin4ry_v30.zip
                or, the one with gapps: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...plus_gapps.zip (give it a couple hours from the post time to finish uploading.)

Step by step without Gapps:

1. Install Moroboro.
                2. Start up Moroboro.
                3. Enable USB debugging under Developer options in the system menu.
                4. Plug in the tablet.
                5. Wait for Moroboro to display info about the tablet. It should show free space on your tablet plus its correct name.
                6. Shut down Moroboro.
                7. Extract the zip file (either one for this step, but use gapps one if you plan to install them.)
                8. Double Click RunMe.Bat
                9. Select the first option, say yes to any prompts.
                10. Wait. the tablet will reboot a few times, don't unplug it. DON'T UNPLUG IT.
                11. After final Reboot you have root!
                12. ???
                13. PROFIT!

The Gapps step is DANGEROUS! But only if you don't follow my directions EXACTLY. Copy and past any commands. Don't type them, just to be absolutely safe. I take no responsibility if you brick your device. You can most likely install the standard set of apks as a user, but this method gets almost everything in market showing up, no restarts, no errors, no crashes. All sync working, and paid apps.

1. Open a command window and navigate to the extracted contents of the root zip. DON'T extract the gapps zip. leave it alone.
                2. Paste this command into the command window and press enter: adb push gapps-jb-20121011-signed.zip /sdcard/
                3. Do the same for these commands:

adb shell
                su
                mount -o remount,rw /system
                busybox unzip /sdcard/gapps-jb-20121011-signed.zip /system

4. When it asks to overwite a file, type a, it may need to be small or caps depending on the prompt.
                5. Cross fingers and pray.
                6. Paste these commands:

mount -o remount,ro /system
                reboot

7. Once the tablet reboots, launch play store, enter credentials, and download any gapps that need updating or didn't install. The gapps package I use has some of the memory hogs removed, they can be installed through market.
                8. ???
                9. MORE PROFIT!

EDIT: you may also be able to do this same thing with root explorer or es file explorer in root mode. I dont want to re-risk my tab to test that tho. I've done the adb method twice now without problems.

BalrogBob, once king of the PLANET(Pandigital), now king of the Ess of Sevens!
                Last edited by balrogbob; 06-18-2013, 04:24.

Comment

oh, some info...

We have a RK3066 based tablet. :P just found out. Thought you ought to know...

Comment

Got Bootloader mode... MWAHAHA this thing is my B***H!

0. Install these Drivers: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/.../64bit.drv.zip (sorry, no 32bit. I'll look around...) (Moroboro may work as well, not sure. already uninstalled it since it made adb work.
                    1. Power off.
                    2. Hold down volume UP button.
                    3. Plug into computer.
                    4. Wait for usb inserted sound or a driver install popup.
                    5. Release volume button.
                    6. A Driver called RK30 should be in device manager.

Not sure what it does yet, but I bet it is a step toward unbricking and custom firmware.

Comment

Want working flash in dolphin?

Uninstall any flash player that the tablet installed, install this version of flash: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...1_1_115_54.apk

then install whichever version of dolphin from this page you prefer: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2267390

Comment

Balrogbob, not to sound rude, but is there an easier way? Could you dumb it down a little or explain why all these steps are needed. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by jfnz24 View Post
                          Balrogbob, not to sound rude, but is there an easier way? Could you dumb it down a little or explain why all these steps are needed. Thanks.
                          I believe I can explain. from what it sounds like our friends at Polaroid have switched from Allwinner chips.

Comment

OTE=jfnz24;73559]Balrogbob, not to sound rude, but is there an easier way? Could you dumb it down a little or explain why all these steps are needed. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunatly no.

And i dumbed it down a ton from what i had. If my bat making skills were better, i could make it automated. If a bat fiend is on the board, perhaps they could lend us a hand.
                            It may take me a while to make cfm, untill then this is all there is.

I'm also confused, the chip is labeled as an a10, but is really a rk3066 by rockchip. Odd, eh? Southerntelecom just regurgitates rebranded chinese tabs, so its not that suprising.

P.s.
                            I rooted a tablet 8 hours after I got it and people complain cause its hard. <_< cant i get some love for being the first person to hack a tab, or do people just expect all tabs to be rooted? And people wonnder why I left the android scene...

Comment

*raises hand*. I would be the .bat making fool, except I have zero time as it is right now :-/

P.S. Sending love to Balrogbob ha ha.

Comment

Working...
                              X