Custom ROM Compatability with PMID01C/ PMID701C

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nifty

I just took my PMID701C apart AND put it back together SUCCESSFULLY! I only snagged a few pics but I will upload them as soon as I get home and post shortly! Hopefully this will help someone somewhere!

WIFI IS RealTek RTL818CUS!

Comment

looked like the party was here

Since this guy looked like the place to be figured i would join the party. If you really didnt want to pop the case for pictures i could do that a bit later. I picked up one of the pmid701c's a couple hours ago. Might not know much about android yet, but i am well versed in microprocessors, been dissasembling the source code from my '99 Saturn.

Comment

Meh

Opening the case isn't an issue to me I was at a mute point with rooting so I said ta hell with it and grabbed my bit set. I have all the info I could get off various parts and will be posting ALL my findings withing the hour. Saber don't tackle your unless your curious too, if you do, when you go to open the case start at the top right a credit card will work perfectly as a shim to get the face off.

Comment

Moved

Comment

Inside the pmid701c is there a microSD?

I was wondering if there is a microSD inside? a 1Gb one that we could replace ala the pandigial novel?

Y/N? I guess you would have mentioned it if you saw such a thing.

Looking forward to seeing the pictures anyway. I was not able to find another pmid701c and don't really want to break this one, it might become my "daily driver".

Comment

Inside

Im not really sure exactly what I was looking at the only item that looked like an SD card was actually the WIFI reciever.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-03-28_15-26-53_583.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	203.2 KB
ID:	428828Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-03-28_15-26-31_833.jpg
Size:	194.0 KB
ID:	428829Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-03-28_15-26-18_230.jpg
Size:	214.6 KB
ID:	428830Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-03-28_15-21-36_881.jpg
Size:	209.8 KB
ID:	428831Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-03-28_15-21-17_386.jpg
Size:	206.5 KB
ID:	428832Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-03-28_15-21-06_531.jpg
Size:	197.3 KB
ID:	428833Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-03-28_15-20-40_910.jpg
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	428834

Comment

guess i wont crack mine just yet afterall

looks like the H27UBG8T2ATR from Hynix is a 32Gbit NAND flash. the 2 K482G1646C-HCH9 chips from Samsung is the DDR3 ram (1Gb each) and the processor is the A10 from Allwinner Tech. A search for A10 Allwinner tablet brought up quite a few hits that will be ineresting to peruse.

Comment

Originally posted by artistlogic View Post
                  Also, if it helps anyone: I was successfully able to install a working version of Gmail, Android Market (won't auto-update to Google Play for some reason? Tried clearing data and rebooting) by using this package:

I first installed "OneTimeInitializer-signed.apk" successfully, then attempted to install "GoogleServicesFramework-signed.apk" but the installation failed for some reason. I moved on to "SetupWizard.apk", which was successful, and finally "vending-3.1.3-signed.apk", which also was successful.

This gives me a fully working version of the Android Market (only the Icon is the old Icon, launching actually shows the Google Play interface)
                  Thanks artistlogic for the info. Now rooted with workin android market!!!! I'm happy now. Did u manage to get yours rooted?

Comment

Hello, Fellow PMID701C Enthusiasts!

Hello!

Seems as if Big Lots' recent sale on these tablets has brought quite a few people out of the woodwork. It's nice to be here with you folks as you come up with ways to make this tablet more useful than it already is.

@Zarealius: UIAM, the only true SD card is the one residing in the external MicroSD slot. AFAIK, Android 2.2/2.3 divides the available built-in storage memory into two different areas, one of these being used to simulate a built-in SD card.

However, it IS interesting that Pandigital would build an SD card INTO one of THEIR units. What if that SD card 'craps out' on its owner? Guess they'd have to send it in for service, huh?

I ran Z4 also, and like you other folks, it also told me that the tablet was already rooted. Will try installing a copy of SuperUser I have on hand, then will try to activate the Market on it before I move on to SuperOneClick.

SuperOneClick looks like it might do some real damage unless one knows exactly what they're doing, so I think I'll wait to have one of you come up with a tutorial on how to use it with this tablet, lest I risk 'bricking' it or something...

73 DE N4RPS
                    Rob

Comment

Originally posted by N4RPS View Post
                      Hello!

Seems as if Big Lots' recent sale on these tablets has brought quite a few people out of the woodwork. It's nice to be here with you folks as you come up with ways to make this tablet more useful than it already is.

@Zarealius: UIAM, the only true SD card is the one residing in the external MicroSD slot. AFAIK, Android 2.2/2.3 divides the available built-in storage memory into two different areas, one of these being used to simulate a built-in SD card.

However, it IS interesting that Pandigital would build an SD card INTO one of THEIR units. What if that SD card 'craps out' on its owner? Guess they'd have to send it in for service, huh?

I ran Z4 also, and like you other folks, it also told me that the tablet was already rooted. Will try installing a copy of SuperUser I have on hand, then will try to activate the Market on it before I move on to SuperOneClick.

SuperOneClick looks like it might do some real damage unless one knows exactly what they're doing, so I think I'll wait to have one of you come up with a tutorial on how to use it with this tablet, lest I risk 'bricking' it or something...

73 DE N4RPS
                      Rob
                      I did exactly as in post #12 (just edited it with all i did) and rooted good to go.

Comment

I tried to download this, but...

Originally posted by artistlogic View Post
                        Also, if it helps anyone: I was successfully able to install a working version of Gmail, Android Market (won't auto-update to Google Play for some reason? Tried clearing data and rebooting) by using this package:

I tried downloading this on several occasions, and the file turned out to be corrupted. Will try to find another source for it.

Comment

Wait

Originally posted by N4RPS View Post
                          I tried downloading this on several occasions, and the file turned out to be corrupted. Will try to find another source for it.
                          Go to the link on your pc and download it its a .zip extract and transfer directly to your sd card.

*One file didnt install but it doesnt seem to be that important, currently

I have a WORKING Android Market, SuperUser and an Emulater All working flawlessly.

Now on to learning the emulater....

Any heads up would be nice!
                          Last edited by Zarealius; 03-29-2012, 02:09. Reason: Exp!

Comment

was looking over a copy of the a10 datasheet and did notice a couple things of interest. looks like the a10 has pins for hdmi out and also a JTAG connector. might have to see if i can fund where those go, could help in the event of bricking.

Comment

Originally posted by sabercatpuck View Post
                              was looking over a copy of the a10 datasheet and did notice a couple things of interest. looks like the a10 has pins for hdmi out and also a JTAG connector. might have to see if i can fund where those go, could help in the event of bricking.
                              Lots of tablets (like the Arnova) have the pin solder pads on the circuit board. BUT most of them are also missing all the support chips as well. The solder pads for the chips are there usually too though. Basically they just did not populate the board even though the board could be (saves money). So it is usually not as simple as just soldering on a HDMI plug. At least this is what I have seen on many other HDMI'less Tabs.

Bob
                              "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
                              "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
                              "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
                              "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
                              "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
                              "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
                              "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
                              "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
                              "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

Still No Go With The Zip File. Instead, I Did THIS To Install Market On My Tablet...

Originally posted by Zarealius View Post
                                Go to the link on your pc and download it its a .zip extract and transfer directly to your sd card.

*One file didnt install but it doesnt seem to be that important, currently
                                For me, it was One-Time Initializer that wouldn't install via the method I used. Perhaps THAT may be why my write permissions for the /system folder aren't permanent?

Originally posted by Zarealius View Post
                                I have a WORKING Android Market, SuperUser and an Emulater All working flawlessly.

Now on to learning the emulater....

Any heads up would be nice!
                                Cool!

In case the procedure you stated gives anyone else a problem, here's another way to install the Market.

In a nutshell, I just used Root Explorer to change permissions on the /system folder to read/write. The write permissions Root Explorer gives to the /system folder don't seem to be permanent, but perhaps someone can assist me with accomplishing THAT feat LATER.

Here is that other way, step by step (Thanks a million, xda-developers!):

1. Download and gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip (forget where I got it; Google for it...),

extract it to a folder, & copy that folder to the SD card

2. Download the PAID version of Root Explorer & install on the tablet

(A Google search will find THAT, too. BTW, the FREE version won't allow R/W access)

3. Open the Root Explorer app & navigate to the transferred .apk files

4. Select the GoogleServiceFramework.apk & install

5. When complete, click "Done" & return to the file location for Vending.apk

6. Long-press Vending.apk & select the "Move" option on pop-up menu

7. Navigate to /system/app folder

6. Change mount option from RO to RW (read-only to read-write)

7. Paste Vending.apk into the /system/app folder

8. Long-press Vending.apk & select "Permissions" from pop-up menu

9. Change permissions to match all other apps in this folder (rw-r--r--)

10. Install Vending.apk

11. Reboot your tablet (*I* didn't seem to need to, but it can't hurt, I suppose...)

Market now works as advertised. No crashies.

Icon ultimately updates to the Play Store icon, and now says 'Play Store'. This may be due to my setting updates to automatic in the app.

Perhaps one day, I'll be able to make the other way work for me, but surely this way just MIGHT help out someone who just wants to have the Android Market/Play Store on their tablet, without needing ADB & the other stuff.

Root Explorer will also allow you to remove unwanted system apps, or to add your favs to the /system folder.

Hope all this can help out someone other poor, confused soul!

73 DE N4RPS
                                Rob
                                Last edited by N4RPS; 03-29-2012, 13:44.

Comment

Working...
                                X