Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

****OFFICIAL Polaroid PMID701c THREAD! root, market, and more!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cactusjack1717 View Post
    As it happens, the tablet they sent me was the 701i. oh well.
    it's now fully rooted with both amazon app store and google play store available. w00t. thanks everyone for your help. it also seems like liquidlimez's method did fix the phone standby issue.

Now my only question is, if I don't have a data plan and no roaming wifi access, is GPS going to work with an app like google maps etc.? such that i could use a gps without the data plan... i know google maps recently announced they'd be going offline-too sometime soon, but I'm interested to know if there's free gps tracking on the device.
    Quite frankly, I'll say forget about GPS on *ANY* tablet (Android,IPAD) and just buy a dedicated GPS unit instead.

GPS will only work well on a tablet if you have a dedicated (and overpriced) 3-4g data plan because of the way it's implented on tablets (and cell phones). GPS hardware on tablets doesn't work in quite the same way as it does in the dedicated GPS units made by TomTom, Garmin and Magellian for instance.

If you're in a area that doesn't have acess to either a wi-fi or 3-4G connection, you're pretty much out of luck, since from what I recall tablets use the wi-fi or 3-4g connection to download map data in chunks rather than storing the whole map for say the USA within the GPS unit itself as the dedicated units do.

This is why the dedicated GPS units don't need a wi-fi connection or 3-4g data plan to fuction, just an working uplink to the GPS sats themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by c,lei View Post
      ...from what I recall tablets use the wi-fi or 3-4g connection to download map data in chunks rather than storing the whole map for say the USA within the GPS unit itself as the dedicated units do.
      Thank you for the information. But... Don't standalone GPS units also have monthly costs?

There are some offline maps apps for android that i've seen, but i don't trust their open source map files. i downloaded one to try using it to find my apartment, which is in manhattan mere blocks from the famous george washington bridge, and it had no idea my street even existed (it's a numbered street - so, to give a fake example, it would be as if the program knew that 513th st existed, and 515th st, but was blind to the existence of 514th st.).

That's why i was excited to find out google maps is going to provide offline maps sometime soon. i just wanted to know if i was going to have to wait - looks like i will.

still peeved about that no-battery-stats thing though.

Comment

Thank you for the information. But... Don't standalone GPS units also have monthly costs?
        Hello!

UIAM, monthly costs, no. Annual costs for map and traffic updates? Sometimes, yes, but Garmin and some of the others now offer free lifetime updates with their newer units.

There are some offline maps apps for android that i've seen, but i don't trust their open source map files. i downloaded one to try using it to find my apartment, which is in manhattan mere blocks from the famous george washington bridge, and it had no idea my street even existed (it's a numbered street - so, to give a fake example, it would be as if the program knew that 513th st existed, and 515th st, but was blind to the existence of 514th st.).

That's why i was excited to find out google maps is going to provide offline maps so metime soon. i just wanted to know if i was going to have to wait - looks like i will.
        I'd like to see offline maps available for Google Maps for my Windows Mobile phone, too.

still peeved about that no-battery-stats thing though.
        There are a number of third-party apps for that purpose that would probably serve you better anyway.

People must remember that this is basically a phone OS that has been adapted for use with a tablet. As for myself, my next project is to have my 'Roid to run Lubuntu instead.

I think Shawn is working on that for the 701x series. I'd like to help him test it on the 702c...

73 DE N4RPS
        Rob

Comment

Originally posted by N4RPS View Post
          There are a number of third-party apps for [the battery stats] purpose that would probably serve you better anyway.
          Do you have one to recommend? I did some websearching and it sounds like if there's no built-in app or widget on my tablet for checking battery usage percentages, then the info wouldn't show up in a third party app either. but if that's not true I'd love to know what to use.

thanks again for all your help so far!

Comment

Do you have one to recommend? I did some websearching and it sounds like if there's no built-in app or widget on tablet for checking battery usage percentages, then the info wouldn't show up in a third party app either. but if that's not true I'd love to know what to use.

thanks again for all your help so far!
            Hello!

You're welcome.

I saw someone on another thread mention an app called 'Juice Defender'; I may try that.

I'll start a new thread in a more appropriate area of the board, and see what comes out of the woodwork...

73 DE N4RPS
            Rob

Comment

Originally posted by N4RPS View Post
              I saw someone on another thread mention an app called 'Juice Defender'; I may try that.

I'll start a new thread in a more appropriate area of the board, and see what comes out of the woodwork...
              Okay, just point me to it when it's made so I can bookmark where it is

Incidentally, did your Polaroid tablet also have the battery stat unavailable issue?

Comment

Okay, just point me to it when it's made so I can bookmark where it is

Incidentally, did your Polaroid tablet also have the battery stat unavailable issue?
                Hello!

Yes, I believe it did, and the 702c does, also.

On the Cruz and on the 701c, I ran an app called 'Battery Saver'. It allowed you to create and track your own battery consumption data, if you wanted to.

I might just start isomething in this area, as there isn't really anywhere else here to do so - unless Finless wants to create some place like "What's The Best Android App For..." (You Name It), or something like that...

73 DE N4RPS
                Rob

Comment

There seem to be a number of "battery saver" apps... can you link the one you mean?
                  I really just want an equivalent tool to the one that was supposed to ship with the device - just something to track what's using battery when. not looking to have an app modify my settings to conserve battery, not yet at least.

Comment

How to use mounted SD

So I mounted a 32GB sd card in the slot w/o a problem. It was immediately recognized (did not have to hit any button to format). But how do I use settings to tell the tablet to save movies and music to the mounted SD and not the stock internal one? How do I copy apps from 1 SD to the other?
                    First post from a complete Noob.

Comment

Originally posted by robl View Post
                      So I mounted a 32GB sd card in the slot w/o a problem. It was immediately recognized (did not have to hit any button to format). But how do I use settings to tell the tablet to save movies and music to the mounted SD and not the stock internal one? How do I copy apps from 1 SD to the other?
                      First post from a complete Noob.
                      Check this out

Or.
                      Each application will need to be checked to see if the settings will allow a default to the real sd card.
                      the location of the sd card on my pmid701c is mnt/extern_sd

Happy fun lucky brave explore time yes!

Comment

I have a Polaroid PMID 701i. To Move stuff from the card to the tablet or tablet to the card. I use the usb cord to hook it to a computer (Win XP). With the computer I can see the drives and go in there and be able to move stuff from one to the other. Good luck!
                        Tablets: Polaroid PMID 701i, PMID 4311, Zeki 10" tablet

"God Loves You"- Arlo Guthrie

Comment

Originally posted by cherylharrell1961 View Post
                          I have a Polaroid PMID 701i. To Move stuff from the card to the tablet or tablet to the card. I use the usb cord to hook it to a computer (Win XP). With the computer I can see the drives and go in there and be able to move stuff from one to the other. Good luck!
                          Actually I figured this out. I created a Music folder on the ext sd and put a bunch of mp3s there that play just fine. Same for avi movies. It appears you have to do some serious rooting to get the tablet itself to save to the external sd. From Singledad's post here are instructions:

Here's how to make the external sd card (the one you buy and stick in the external micro sd slot) the card the tablet sees as it's "internal sd" card. Basically you have to change a system file and flip flop the names in the file that tells the tablet how to mount the external card and it's "fake" internal sd card.

You can do this all right on the tablet if you want!

REQUIREMENTS:
                          1. You need to be rooted or otherwise have access to view and modify system files. I used the app, "Root Explorer"

2. You need a micro SD card to put in the external micro SD card slot (DUH!)

PROCEDURE:

1. Install the "Root Explorer" app.
                          You need a version that will give you full R/W access. I used the one linked to in the ****OFFICIAL Polaroid PMID 701C Thread! -Root, market and more!" thread here. To save you the trouble, here's the link to Root Explorer v2.19:
                          NO POSTING OF PIRATED APP HERE! WE GOT COMPLAINTS!

Basically this gives you access to see and modify the system file you need to modify. There are other ways to do this, I'm just telling you what I did because it worked just fine.

2. Mount R/W in Root Explorer.
                          Once you've installed Root Explorer, navigate to the /system folder and then make it root accessible/writable by tapping the grey "Mount R/W" button at the top of the screen.

3. Find and Edit the "vold.fstab" file.
                          Now that you now have root access you can edit the vold.fstab file. In the Root Explorer app Go to /system/etc/vold.fstab

Once you've found that file simply long press it (hold down on it) until you see "Open With" and then choose "text editor"

You'll see a text file. In the 2nd paragraph you'll see two lines that say:

dev mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto
                          dev mount extsd /mnt/extsd auto

Highlight them and edit the lines to read:

dev mount sdcard /mnt/extsd auto
                          dev mount extsd /mnt/sdcard auto

4. Save and Reboot!
                          Press the menu button or tap menu and then select "Save and Exit".
                          (It should save the original file for you as a backup automatically when you save in case you screw anything up)

Turn off the tablet, make sure your external micro sd card is in the external sd slot and then reboot. (You need to reboot for the changes to the vold.fstab file to take effect)

5. Enjoy your tablet finally letting you put the things you want to put on your external sd card!

Comment

Tablet cover

Well I found a case on deal xtreme that works well with my Polardroid. I just had to make a slight mod and cut off one of the tabs meant to keep the droid in the case because it was blocking where the charger plugs in. It's a snug fit, but it works. The case itself I believe was less than 10 bucks and upon receiving it in the mail I found to my pleasant surprise that the case itself folds so you can stand the tablet up if you have movies loaded on it.

Originally posted by corki2 View Post
                            I got a Belkin book style from Radio Shack. They carry the largest selection for 7" tablets. I got a purple one.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

For some of the 'craftier' users out here, I picked up a fabric pattern at my local craft store yesterday. McCall's pattern M6477 has two carry cases (7x10 and 9x10) and three covers (8x5.5, 9x6.5 and 10x8). It would cost more money, but being able to do your own designs and adjust it to exactly fit the tablet ... could be worth while. The pattern is priced at $18.95, but I got it on sale for $1.50

Originally posted by joamchild00 View Post
                              Has anyone found a good cover/case for this tablet specifically?? Looking for the right fit, bought one from Big Lots when we got the tablet but it just slides out. If you've found the perfect one, please share!! Thanks in advance!!

Comment

Tablet Case & Stand

I posted this one here which I enjoy: http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...ndle-Fire-Case

Originally posted by joamchild00 View Post
                                Has anyone found a good cover/case for this tablet specifically?? Looking for the right fit, bought one from Big Lots when we got the tablet but it just slides out. If you've found the perfect one, please share!! Thanks in advance!!

Comment

Working...
                                X